AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

AvengerRam's 2005 First Round Mock (February 1 Version)

Here's my first stab at the first round:

1. San Francisco: Aaron Rogers, QB, California
    No brainer. They need a QB, Rogers is the top rated one on the board, and he's from Northern California.

2. Miami: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State
    I expect that they will sign a RB (Shaun Alexander, perhaps) and won't take QB in the first round. Their O line was dismal last year, and Barron could be a huge upgrade.

3. Cleveland: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami
    A real difference maker for their defense. Could play CB or FS, or both, and is an excellent blitzer.

4. Chicago: Derrick Johnson, LB, Texas
    Lovie Smith will be very happy with this pick. Brian Urlacher will be downright giddy.

5. TampaBay: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas
    Great pick for John Gruden's offense. Two Longhorns in a row.

6. Tennessee: Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma
    Titans' need for OT help causes Brown to go a bit higher than perhaps expected. Could trade this pick.

7. Oakland: Mike Williams, WR, USC
    Need new blood at WR with departure of Rice and Brown. Williams will have much improved 40 time with a year to prepare.

8. Arizona: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn
    Could go with teammate Williams just as easily. Definitely need an upgrade at RB.

9. Washington Redskins, Anttaj Hawthorne, DT, Wisconsin
    Joe Gibbs gets his Dave Butz style defensive anchor.

10. Detroit: Alex Smith, QB, Utah
    Either this will light a huge fire under Harrington (a la Drew Brees) or be the prelude to his departure.

11. Dallas: Adam Jones, CB, West Virginia
    A need position for the Cowboys. Don't expect Bill Parcells to call him "Pac Man," though.

12. San Diego (from N.Y.Giants): Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
    Whether its Brees or Rivers at QB, they need more weapons on the outside to take the next step into contention.

13. Houston: Ersamus James, DE, Wisconsin
    They need to upgrade the defense. James a good choice.

14. Carolina: Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
    A team that likes to run the ball as much as the Panthers can never have too many quality backs. A steal this late in draft.

15. Kansas City: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU
    The Chiefs might want to consider going defense on all of their picks.

16. New Orleans: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
    Aaron Brooks needs a reliable receiver other than Joe Horn, and Miller could be a standout at the TE position.

17. Cincinnati: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan
    His ability to play either CB or FS will make him a valuable addition to the Bengals' defense.

18. Minnesota: Travis Johnson, DT, FloridaState
    Vikings are building their most formidable D line since the days of the "Purple People Eaters."

19. St. Louis: Shawne Merriman, LB/DE, Maryland
    Rams get a natural pass rusher who has the ability to play on or off the line. Will contribute as a rookie.

20. Dallas (from Buffalo): David Pollack, DE, Georgia
    Parcells will love his work ethic and "motor." Could start from day one.

21. Jacksonville: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
    Will bring some speed and excitement to the offense.

22. Baltimore: Roddy White, WR, UAB
    Need more help at WR after missing out on Terrell Owens last year.

23. Seattle: Channing Crowder, MLB, Florida
    Extreme need for upgrade at MLB causes Seahawks to overlook Crowder's somewhat troubled history.

24. Green Bay: Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn
    Packers finally select possible heir apparent to Favre. Could be forced into action early in career.

25. Denver: Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma
    Good value at this spot.

26. New York Jets: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn
    Auburn having a good day with four first round picks.

27. San Diego: Jonathan Babineaux, DT, Iowa
    Quality DTs don't usually last this long. Chargers get a potential steal.

28. Indianapolis: Shaun Cody, DT, USC
    What do you get for the team that has everything… on offense? A defensive player, of course.

29. Atlanta: Terrence Murphy, WR, Texas A&M
    Vick still needs more targets.

30. Pittsburgh: Darryl Blackstock, LB, Virginia
    With Kendrell Bell on way out in FA, will need to restock.

31. New England: Kevin Burnett, LB, Tennessee
    LB is a key position in their defense, and they need some youth there.

32. Philadelphia: Odell Thurman, LB, Georgia
    Super Bowl Champs (that's right, I'm picking them to beat the Patriots) get a player that will replace Trotter (sooner or later).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-01-2005 at 05:39 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: AvengerRam's 2005 First Round Mock (February 1 Version)

Hey AV, I noticed that you have Philly picking 32. Are you saying that you believe the Eagles will beat the Pats this Sunday? Well I sure hope that you are correct; but this is quite an upset if it happens.
    BTW I also noticed that you didn't have Thomas Davis anywhere in your first round. Do you not think he is a first round pick?

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Not bad, Avenger. Here are some of my comments...

-Barron's not worth a number two overall pick even if the Dolphins need help on the offensive line. Brown to Tennessee at #6 makes sense because of their need on the O-line, but I don't think these two guys are good value at those spots. Yet both might be willing to reach if they can't trade down or address another need.

-If Tampa takes a running back, it'll probably be Carnell Williams. Gruden coached him for the Senior Bowl and reportedly is in love with the kid.

-If Detroit wants a quarterback to challenge/push Harrington, he'll come from free agency. I don't see any way that they'll take another first round QB with Harrington and McMahon on the roster.

-With Barron and Brown off the board, the Panthers could go in a number of directions. With Williams still on the board, I like that pick, considering Stephen Davis' health.

-I can't see the Chiefs going defensive line if only two of the top defensive backs have been taken. Their secondary needs serious help.

-I'm still not sold on Merriman for the Rams, so we'll have to disagree on that one. I think he's really been overhyped the past couple of weeks.

-Campbell to the Packers would be interesting, but their defense needs some serious help. They would probably only make this move if Favre decides to retire.

-The Jets would love Carlos Rogers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

elAcky Guest

Martz will struggle to make this pick with Mark Clayton still on the board.. I agree re: Brown, i see him going to Tennesee

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    19. St. Louis: Shawne Merriman, LB/DE, Maryland
    I wouldn't mind this pick, but (IMO) he is a 3-4 LB. Maybe he can put on a little size and be a monster pass rusher. Or maybe he can work on his coverage technique and be the strong-side OLB, we've been lacking for some time. Or maybe he does neither, and his game never translates into a position in our 4-3 Marmified "defense".

Personally, I hope he hones his LB skills and becomes our S-OLB, but I'll be holding my breath if he is our 1st round pick.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

the O-line and d-line are the main concerns, if they can get a guy to play on the line and the secondary , great! And he would be valuable on s-teams!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

While I do think that 3-4 teams in particular will look at Merriman, I also think he can play OLB in a 4-3. I just think the guy's the kind of player who will succeed in almost any system. If the Rams could get him and Hartwell, and team the two of them with Pisa... look out!

I have to say my "pet pick" of the first round is Campbell to Green Bay. I just have a gut feeling on that one. I will also say that, if I'm wrong about Alex Smith and he drops to the Packers, they would probably take him in a heartbeat, and I would then expect Campbell to go to Cleveland at the start of the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    While I do think that 3-4 teams in particular will look at Merriman, I also think he can play OLB in a 4-3. I just think the guy's the kind of player who will succeed in almost any system. If the Rams could get him and Hartwell, and team the two of them with Pisa... look out!

He's a gamble, but just like with other investments...big risks can bring big rewards. Merriman falls into that big risk category, much like Suggs (as we discussed yesterday) and he's turning out pretty good for Baltimore. Merriman (who is probably on Baltimore's wish list, ironically) may be a poor man's Suggs, but well worth (potentially) a #19 spot.

He doesn't fix our O-line problems, but that's a different story.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Offensive line issues will have to be dealt with in the draft, no doubt. But my feeling is that, unless you get one of the elite tackles (Barron, Brown), it is better to wait until the second or third round.

As for Merriman being a poor man's Suggs - well, if he can come close to Suggs' 22.5 sacks in his first two years, I'd take that!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Offensive line issues will have to be dealt with in the draft, no doubt. But my feeling is that, unless you get one of the elite tackles (Barron, Brown), it is better to wait until the second or third round.

As for Merriman being a poor man's Suggs - well, if he can come close to Suggs' 22.5 sacks in his first two years, I'd take that!
    I'd have to agree on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I wouldn't mind this pick, but (IMO) he is a 3-4 LB.
    I'm with you on this. Merriman has good pass rushing skills, but he's not primarily suited to play in our system. I'm not going to be ecstatic about this pick if the Rams take him at #19 with guys like Blackstock or Burnett or others on the board. That said, if we do take him and he becomes a beast, I'll bring the butter to put on my large plate of crow. But I just don't think he'd work for us.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Looks overall good. I like the top 4. My questions would be with RB's going to Tampa Bay and Carolina. I can understand possible Tampa with Pittman's off field issues, but Carolina is solid at RB with Foster and Davis.

I don't want Marlin Jackson (Go Blue) in Cincy, I want him in the Lou.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

I've heard concerns over Davis and Foster's injuries, and how that might prompt Carolina to look at a running back. Their biggest need, IMO, is on the offensive line, but as Av has it, with both of the top tackles off the board, they can afford to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Their biggest need, IMO, is on the offensive line, but as Av has it, with both of the top tackles off the board, they can afford to look elsewhere.
    Just goes to show you how far these mocks can swing from one way to the other. Kiper has Barron at #14 & Brown in the 2nd round. AV's got them both gone by #6.

Man, this is the kind of stuff that gets me excited about the draft. Nothings better than seeing how this thing plays out every year.