Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By turbofargo
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Av's 20 Day Before the Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 Day Before the Draft Random Thoughts

1. Did I mention how bad an idea it was to push the draft back 2 weeks?

2. Just not buying the Manziel stuff. It just doesn't add up with Bradford still on the roster with a $14M salary, all the comments supporting Sam, and the signing of Sean Hill.

3. With the first pick (whether its at No. 2, 4 or 6), I'm expecting an OT (Robinsion, Matthews or Lewan).

4. I'd be fine with Watkins or Mack (or Clowney if he falls) with that first pick, but I'd be surprised if the Rams went in that direction.

5. At No. 13, I'm expecting a DB (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Clinton-Dix or Pryor).

6. The guy I'd take over all those DBs if he were to fall is Aaron Donald. At No. 13, I think he'd be the clear BPA.

7. If the Rams don't take a safety at No. 13, I'm really hoping for Deone Bucannon, Jimmy Ward or Terrence Brooks at No. 44.

8. I'd put very good odds on the Rams ending up with Aaron Murray, Tom Savage, Garrett Gilbert or Conner Shaw by the end of the draft. Any of these guys would be a good addition, as they all have the potential to develop into a quality NFL QB.

9. I'll be surprised if the Rams don't take a RB on Day 3. My list of potential targets includes Tyler Gaffney, Rajion Neal, Isaiah Crowell and Storm Johnson.

10. If the Rams don't end up taking Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans, I'm not sure I'd bother taking any WRs (other than perhaps a developmental guy in the last 2 rounds - i.e. Jeff Janis). If they do, I'd want it to be someone with some size like Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Cody Latimer or Allen Robinson. Of course, if Quick develops and/or Britt regains his form (big "ifs," perhaps), maybe a guy like that is not necessary.

11. The Rams really need depth at LB. While I probably would not use a Round 1-2 pick on the position (unless its Mack in Round 1 or Shazier in Round 2), I think taking a couple of LBs in Rounds 3-6 makes a lot of sense.

12. I also would consider adding depth at the safety spot (beyond drafting a starter in Rounds 1 or 2) in the middle rounds. Some potentially good options are Ed Reynolds, Craig Loston, Dion Bailey and Ahmad Dixon.

13. If Minnesota calls to make a trade, I want their 2015 first round pick. It could easily be a top 10 selection.

14. My prediction for "surprise first round pick" is Carlos Hyde.

15. Biggest name that won't be drafted at all: Taj Boyd.

16. How sure are we that Houston is taking Clowney at No. 1? If they don't, and we don't trade, I think he'll be a Ram.

17. Here's a thought (it works on the First-Pick.com game). What if the Rams trade from 2 to 4 or 6, obtain an extra second round pick, and then package their two second rounders to get a third pick in Round 1?

18. My favorite NBA team, the Miami Heat, is playing tomorrow night. Perfect night to be at a sports bar with multiple TVs in view.

19. Lebron would make a pretty good TE. Just saying.

20. Less than 32 hours from the start of the draft. Tick... tick... tick...

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Av's 20 Day Before the Draft Random Thoughts

I agree with the WR, if we don't take one of the top two, it's going to start to feel like we are just wasting draft picks spinning our wheels.

Clowney I would think we could cash out before taking him but you never know.

Mack is the x factor for me, I could see Fisher taking him over all three OTs just because he's a defensive coach and that would give us the best front seven or close to it!

My favorite NHL team, the LA Kings, are playing tomorrow night, but not going to watch too much of it but I will peak in on it from time to time. Jonathan Quick has better hands then Brian Quick!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Mack is the x factor for me, I could see Fisher taking him over all three OTs just because he's a defensive coach and that would give us the best front seven or close to it!
    I'll bet you Gregg Williams is stoking that fire as well. I have to admit, I know we need an OT more, but I've got a little man-crush on Mack.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

You wrote this over 2 weeks ago and are just posting it?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nice list and agree with most of your points. I do think you contradict yourself a bit with #'s 4 & 16 concerning Clowney. Regardless, your best point is #6. Aaron Donald would be a terrific player for us and I could see Gregg Williams smacking his lips over that type DT. I must disagree with your prior point about the DB's at #13 simply due to the names mentioned. Dennard and Gilbert are real possibilities. Its is too early for Fuller or Pryor and I don't see us taking Clinton-Dix at any point. If Dennard, Gilbert or Aaron are gone I easily foresee a trade with the Jets who likely want Beckham.

Your point about pushing the draft back 2 weeks is so true. NFL Network is falling over themselves trying to create stories about the draft and the prospects. That is how nonsense like the Manziel to the Rams or Bradford on the trade block got started, I believe.

Promises to be interesting. Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Huh? What makes you think I wrote this two weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Nice list and agree with most of your points. I do think you contradict yourself a bit with #'s 4 & 16 concerning Clowney.
    In No. 4, I was presuming that Clowney would not fall, and my point was that I doubt the Rams will go with Mack or Watkins.

Regardless, your best point is #6. Aaron Donald would be a terrific player for us and I could see Gregg Williams smacking his lips over that type DT. I must disagree with your prior point about the DB's at #13 simply due to the names mentioned. Dennard and Gilbert are real possibilities. Its is too early for Fuller or Pryor and I don't see us taking Clinton-Dix at any point. If Dennard, Gilbert or Aaron are gone I easily foresee a trade with the Jets who likely want Beckham.
    For what its worth, Mike Mayock has Fuller rated above Gilbert, so opinions do vary on the DBs.

Your point about pushing the draft back 2 weeks is so true. NFL Network is falling over themselves trying to create stories about the draft and the prospects. That is how nonsense like the Manziel to the Rams or Bradford on the trade block got started, I believe.
    Yeah, I think the 2 week delay is up there with New Coke and the Dominos Cookie Pizza.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Rebel, I believe the 20 refers to the number of "thoughts", not "days before".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is offline Registered User

I only have one random thought on the draft. Can't wait for it to be over.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Agree with most points.

One interesting pt is Boyd. The fact that he wasn't a very good QB makes me wonder how good Watkins really is? Meaning, and I have said this in a past, but sometimes a player can be overvalued because he has great players beside him and benefiting from their play. Manziel could have benefited greatly from the play of Evans, and depending on or stance from him vise-versa. Watkins, however, had a QB who as AvR thinks might not even get drafted. So he did what he did given a highly mediocre QB. That makes his potential even more solid imo. I still don't think we will get him, but its worth noting at least.

Nice to see I got a few things right!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    3. With the first pick (whether its at No. 2, 4 or 6), I'm expecting an OT (Robinsion, Matthews or Lewan).

5. At No. 13, I'm expecting a DB (Gilbert, Dennard, Fuller, Clinton-Dix or Pryor).

6. The guy I'd take over all those DBs if he were to fall is Aaron Donald. At No. 13, I think he'd be the clear BPA.
    Nick likes this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Be sure to do windmill stretches/warmups before patting your back
    Nick likes this.

LOL. Hardly.

I'm just happy to have a couple of pre-draft statements come out looking insightful.

Hopefully, some of my comments relating to Days 2 and 3 will also pan out.

Truth is, every year the same thing happens. I study up, make what appear to be logical picks, and then wait for a couple of trades and surprise picks to blow up my mocks.

For the record, I really didn't think Donald would fall. When he did, I said to the group I was watching the draft with that I was hoping for Donald, but expecting Dennard. I'm glad the Rams went for the BPA.
    Nick likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm just happy to have a couple of pre-draft statements come out looking insightful.
    Amen, brother. Some of the best mocks and prognostications out there only get a half dozen or so player-to-team matches correct. So anytime we fans can call something and it turns out to be right, wear it as a badge of honor, I say.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!