Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Av's 20 One-Day-Before-the-2013-NFL-Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 One-Day-Before-the-2013-NFL-Draft Random Thoughts

1. I can say that, without a doubt, I have never entered a draft with this degree of uncertainty. That is a good thing. Nobody likes to know the spoilers before they watch a movie.

2. There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of months about Tavon Austin. My conclusion is, I'd love to hear his name called at #16, but I have no interest (despite toying with the idea previously) in trading up to get him.

3. In fact, I don't really see a need to trade up for any player in the first round.

4. Trading back is a more intriguing possibility. It should be a seller's market for teams willing to trade back, so I'd hold out for a really good offer.

5. With all the recent negativity about Cordarrelle Patterson, he is still the number 2 guy on my board. He may have the smallest "route tree" among the top WRs, but there is nobody else in this draft who can win a jump ball with a DB, then juke three defenders out of their shoes, all in one play.

6. If the Rams end up with DeAndre Hopkins, Terrance Williams or Justin Hunter instead of Austin or Patterson, that would be fine. I don't think the drop-off is that big.

7. Keenan Allen is the wild card. He could very well be "underdrafted" due to his nagging injuries. I wouldn't rule him out completely.

8. The Rams' view of the safety class is a bit of a mystery. I think there are starters to be had in Rounds 1-3 for sure, and maybe 4-5.

9. It will be interesting to see what the Rams do at the RB position. My gut is that there are two players who could be looked at in Round 2 (Lacy, Franklin) and then a few more in Rounds 3-5 (my choice is Gillislee in Round 4-5).

10. If the Rams don't take an OL in Round 1, I'm hoping for Warford, Long, Armstead or Pugh in Round 2.

11. I do think the Rams can afford to rely on Rodger Saffold for a year at RT. If he does not work out, or leaves as a FA, there should be a good OT class next year.

12. Two guys I really like, but don't think the Rams will consider: Le'Veon Bell and Jamie Collins.

13. Its amazing to consider that the Rams currently have only two players on their roster who are 30 or older (Dahl and Wells). And now, they're about to get younger!

14. Some people criticized the NFL when it moved the draft to Thursday night. I love the prime time event.

15. I think the Rams' strategy at S and OLB will be dictated, in part, on how they feel about Quintin Mickell and Daryl Smith, both of whom could still be signed for next year.

16. Given the potential for an early run on all of the top OTs (including Fluker), it is really key that the Rams were able to sign Jake Long.

17. The more I read/listen to the many draft "experts," the less I mind Mel Kiper.

18. The worst of the bunch: Matt Miller, Tony Pauline and Nolan Nowicki. I'm also not a fan of the Greg Cosell "I've never played or coached at any level, but I watch a lot of film, so here's why you're all wrong" approach.

19. I'd pay good money to be in the Rams' War Room tomorrow.

20. In 3 days, the Rams will have a better roster.
    Rambos likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

re: Av's 20 One-Day-Before-the-2013-NFL-Draft Random Thoughts

18. The worst of the bunch: Matt Miller, Tony Pauline and Nolan Nowicki. I'm also not a fan of the Greg Cosell "I've never played or coached at any level, but I watch a lot of film, so here's why you're all wrong" approach.
    Certainly one of the more popular approaches across the Internet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

agree with all your comments. I look forward to seeing how this plays out over the next four days.

Only critique I have is not with the list, but with the title. When I read it, I thought this was an old post that had been resurrected until I saw that it was started 53 minutes ago. Might alleviate that confusion by rearranging the words to:

"Av's Day Before the 2013 NFL Draft 20 Random Thoughts"

As always, good thoughts Sir...
    This space for rent...

diehard99 is offline Registered User

2 first rd. picks and still more wants-needs than picks. Snead said "wants", if I could somehow get Austin, Lacy and Mathieu, Id consider that a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    agree with all your comments. I look forward to seeing how this plays out over the next four days.

Only critique I have is not with the list, but with the title. When I read it, I thought this was an old post that had been resurrected until I saw that it was started 53 minutes ago. Might alleviate that confusion by rearranging the words to:

"Av's Day Before the 2013 NFL Draft 20 Random Thoughts"

As always, good thoughts Sir...

Shoot... we'll fix that!
    ZiaRam likes this.

Re: Av's 20 One-Day-Before-the-2013-NFL-Draft Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    2. There has been a lot of talk over the last couple of months about Tavon Austin. My conclusion is, I'd love to hear his name called at #16, but I have no interest (despite toying with the idea previously) in trading up to get him.
    FWIW, ESPN is in the midst of their "reporter" mock draft, where reporters from the various cities are making the picks. Burwell drafted for the Rams and he took Austin @ 16 and Ogletree @ 22.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

13. Its amazing to consider that the Rams currently have only two players on their roster who are 30 or older (Dahl and Wells). And now, they're about to get younger!
    This is not your grandfather's.....father's.....or even older brother's Rams. Quick; name the current players with the most time as a Ram!

Here's the top 5:

1. Chris Long (6th season as a Ram)
    2. James Laurinaitis (5th season)
    3. Sam Bradford (4th season)
    3. Roger Saffold (4th season)
    3. Eugene Sims (4th season)
    3. Josh Hull (4th season)
    3. Darian Stewart (4th season)

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Av's 20 Day Before the 2013 NFL Draft Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

16. Given the potential for an early run on all of the top OTs (including Fluker), it is really key that the Rams were able to sign Jake Long.

17. The more I read/listen to the many draft "experts," the less I mind Mel Kiper.

Good stuff Av. As far as #16 - I hadn't viewed it from that perspective before, and it is "key" now that I think about it.

Regarding #18, I am curious as to what your take might have been on Joel Buchsbaum the original Draft guru. I loved reading his stuff and still miss him. This is the first year since 1990 that I have not purchased a PFW Draft Guide. Nolan Nawrocki is a far cry from Joel Buchsbaum IMO.

For anyone who doesn't remember Joel, (all you youthful folks), here is a good story on him.

The time of year I miss Buchsbaum and Holovak the most
    April 25, 2011 at 10:30 am by John McClain

John McClain/Chronicle

From his apartment in Brooklyn, Joel Buchsbaum gained his vast football knowledge by analyzing videotapes for 12 to 14 hours a day.

This is the time of year when I miss Joel Buchsbaum and Mike Holovak the most.

I wonder what they would think about how big the draft has become and how much attention it receives. I wonder what they would think about it stretching over three days.

When I started covering the Oilers, there were two draftniks, as they used to be called – Buchsbaum, the NFL editor for Pro Football Weekly, and Jerry Jones’ Drugstore List. No, not THAT Jerry Jones.

There were others, I imagine, but those were the two I paid the most attention to, especially Buchsbaum, He was an institution in Houston because of his weekly appearance on KTRH.

Holovak, who spent 45 years in the NFL as a coach, general manager, personnel director and scout. Like Buchsbaum, he’s been gone a while, and the draft hasn’t been the same.

When he was the personnel director and general manager of the Oilers, I used to be fortunate enough to talk to Holovak almost every day during April. He took time every night to give me his opinion on players I asked about. He trusted me enough to tell me what he liked and didn’t like about prospects I thought the Oilers might draft.

Holovak had his philosophy. He wanted the scouts to scout and the coaches to coach. But he also said he didn’t shove a draft choice down a coach’s throat. He said if he liked the player and the coach didn’t, the coach wouldn’t play him.

Holovak also said if the coach liked a player and Holovak didn’t, the coach would play the player immediately to prove that he was right. So he tried to find players that he and the coach would agree on.

More often than not, Holovak was right. He was the personnel director and general manager during the run-and-shoot era (1987-93) when the Oilers made the playoffs seven consecutive seasons.

Holovak used to talk to Buchsbaum a couple of times a week, more in March and April as both prepared for the draft.

Like many of you, I listened to Buchsbaum every Wednesday night. I wish he had been on more, especially as we got closer to the draft. Because I worked at KTRH for 17 years, I knew him, and I was able to call him to pick his brain.

Before the 1998 draft, I went to Joel’s apartment in Brooklyn, N.Y. to spend a couple of days with him for a story I wrote in the April 15 Chronicle that year. I took pictures of him – the first time he had let anyone take his picture for a publication. Everyone wanted to know what he looked like first and foremost.

We did our draft show together the night the story ran. I remember one caller saying he wished we hadn’t run Joel’s picture “because it was like pulling back the curtain on the Wizard of Oz.”

Joel died in 2002 at 48. He was so devoted to his work, the few times he left his apartment was to walk his dog or to visit his parents in the apartment building next door. He seldom ate. He was rail thin. He just didn’t want to eat because it took time away from watching film. He was allergic to so many things, he had a list of what he could eat on his refrigerator, and it made me ill reading it.

Joel’s favorite month of the year was April for obvious reasons. When the draft came, he would put on his only sports coat, hop on the subway and head downtown to Madison Square Garden, where he’d meet up with the PFW staff and a buddy from Brooklyn he swore knew more about the draft than he did.

Joel was so respected by NFL people, too. He was the only member of the media who had access to the floor area where the team tables and helmets were. I couldn’t get down there. But the NFL realized what a valuable commodity Buchsbaum was because he promoted the league in PFW or on his numerous talk shows, including his weekly appearances on KTRH and KMOX in St. Louis, where he started.

Jerry Trupiano, who had worked for KMOX when Buchsbaum started doing weekly shows on the station, moved to KTRH as sports director and hired him to come on every Wednesday. For twenty-three years, Joel informed and entertained us with his unparalleled knowledge of college football prospects and the NFL.

When I moved to KILT – Sports Radio 610 as we’re known now – I tried to get Joel to follow me. He politely declined. Never asked about money or exposure, just explaining that he couldn’t turn his back on KTRH. Loyalty was important to him.

About two months after Joel died, PFW editor Hub Arkush had a service for him at the Indianapolis scouting combine. It was a who’s who of NFL coaches, general managers, personnel directors and scouts. A lot of writers were there, too.

I was honored then and I’m proud to say now that I was one of two speakers invited by Arkush. The first was Bill Belichick.

Among the stories Belichick told about Joel was trying to hire him when he was the head coach at Cleveland and after he was hired by New England. As Belichick explained, Joe politely declined, saying he felt like he worked for every team as long as he was at PFW and covered the league.

For those of you who never got to hear or read Buchsbaum, here’s the ultimate compliment I can pay him. We all know how super-secret Belichick is. At the service in Indianapolis, Belichick told a story that showed how much respect he had for Joel’s personnel acumen.

Belichick said every year, the day before the draft, he called Joel and disclosed his draft board. Belichick said he actually made a few changes now and then based on Joel’s evaluations.

On Wednesday, I seriously doubt Belichick is going to be calling any of the current draftniks and revealing his draft board to get their opinion.

I was a fan of Buchsbaum. He was a guy who really did his homework and knew his stuff.
    MauiRam likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

9. It will be interesting to see what the Rams do at the RB position. My gut is that there are two players who could be looked at in Round 2 (Lacy, Franklin) and then a few more in Rounds 3-5 (my choice is Gillislee in Round 4-5).

I have a feeling that if Christine Michael falls to the 3rd or 4th, they will take him.

He's got as much potential as any running back in the draft, if not more, but with him its all character concerns. If Fisher thinks he can handle him after doing his own background checks, I think he ends up on our team.

The only negative about the situation is that we'd have a guy on our team named Christine.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    The only negative about the situation is that we'd have a guy on our team named Christine.
    With the right marketing campaign, nobody will make fun of the name:

FestusRam likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I have a feeling that if Christine Michael falls to the 3rd or 4th, they will take him.

He's got as much potential as any running back in the draft, if not more, but with him its all character concerns. If Fisher thinks he can handle him after doing his own background checks, I think he ends up on our team.

Exactly what I've been saying for some time now. If he can get his head straight (which I believe he has), he will be lights out. BTW his name is pronounced Kristin!

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Exactly what I've been saying for some time now. If he can get his head straight (which I believe he has), he will be lights out. BTW his name is pronounced Kristin!
    I know it is, and I also know Kristin is also a girls name.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I know it is, I've watched him play. Either way its pronounced its still a girl name.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I know it is, I've watched him play. Either way its pronounced its still a girl name.
    Careful now...there might just be a gun-toting, 6'2" tall, 225 pound moderator named Leslie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast