Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Av's 20 Pre-2012 Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's 20 Pre-2012 Draft Random Thoughts

1. Through all the analysis, research and discussion, my original position has not changed. I want Justin Blackmon to be the Rams' selection in the first round. To me, he represents the intersection of BPA and need.

2. The Fletcher Cox as the #6 pick talk is interesting. I have yet to hear anyone cite a source within the Rams' organization for this notion. Instead, it seems that a couple of commentators threw out the idea, and several others jumped on the bandwagon. Could it happen? I suppose. But I wouldn't bet on it.

3. The idea of trading down again is intriguing, but I wouldn't do it unless the Rams received a top 15 pick, another second round pick, and some other consideration.

4. This is a great year to need a DT and an OG and to have two second round picks.

5. While I am on record as supporting the idea of Trent Richardson as the Rams' first pick (if Blackmon, Kalil and Claiborne are gone), I really like the "second tier" of RBs (Miller, Martin, Wilson, Polk, James).

6. I think the Rams can find starting LBs in the 3rd or 4th round of this draft.

7. Collectively speaking, the media should be ashamed of its draft coverage.

8. I love draft weekend. To me, its an oasis in the desert of the offseason.

9. For those who think the draft is predictable, I have two words: Christian Ponder.

10. I think its funny when people quote NFL scouts as if their opinions are gospel. Last time I checked, the success rate for draft choices is somewhat less than 100%. So, while these scouts are obviously knowledgeable, their opinions are just opinions.

11. Compared to Blackmon and Richardson, there has been relatively little talk about Morris Claiborne. While he would not be the most "exciting" pick, a tandem of Claiborne and Finnegan at CB could truly transform the Rams' defense.

12. On the DT front, I'd prefer that the Rams end up with more of a run stopper like Brandon Thompson or Almeda Ta'amu than a gap shooter like Cox, Still or Worthy.

13. I was a little late to the party on Bobby Wagner, but the more I read about him, the more I'm intrigued.

14. One guy I did ring the bell for early who has really climbed the draft boards is Stephon Gilmore.

15. Two guys who were injured last year who could be real value picks (though probably not for the Rams) are Ryan Broyles and Marcus Forston.

16. This really has been a great offseason so far. Hiring Fisher, signing Finnegan and Wells, making a great trade. Let's hope draft weekend continues this trend.

17. Of the four top non-QB prospects (Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson), the only one I could see the Rams passing on is Kalil.

18. Remind me... was Fletcher Cox even regarded as a Top 20 prospect before he ran a 4.79 at the Combine?

19. The Rams are thin at safety, but the draft is even thinner at that position. I wonder if the Rams might be better off trying to find another CB in the middle rounds and consider "cross-training" Brad Fletcher (6'0, 200) at FS.

20. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Rams potential starting lineup looks like a week from now!

richtree is online now Registered User

Re: Av's 20 Pre-2012 Draft Random Thoughts

I think it is all but a lock that #33 is a DT and #39 is AJ Jenkins (barring a trade up or down)...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    9. For those who think the draft is predictable, I have two words: Christian Ponder.
    Quote Originally Posted by richtree
    I think it is all but a lock that #33 is a DT and #39 is AJ Jenkins (barring a trade up or down)...

I guess someone didn't really read my post.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Cross training Fletcher at Safety? why not just draft a safety in the mid rounds instead of shuffling positions and drafting a replacement CB?

Also what do you think Quniten mikell's trade stock would be with his inflated contract?

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    All but a lock. I agree; that statement is anything and everything except a lock. Accordingly I would not be surprised if #33 is not a DT and #39 is not AJ Jenkins.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Cross training Fletcher at Safety? why not just draft a safety in the mid rounds instead of shuffling positions and drafting a replacement CB?
    Again, someone who didn't read. The reason is that the safety position is very thin in this draft. And when I said cross-train, I meant that Fletcher could back-up Stewart at FS, if needed. As for Fletcher continuing to start at CB... that would be great, but after two knee surgeries, I'm concerned he will have lost a step or two.

Also what do you think Quniten mikell's trade stock would be with his inflated contract?
    I don't think Mikell has an "inflated contract." In fact, I see him as part of the core of our defense.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-23-2012 at 12:34 PM.

richtree is online now Registered User

I know Fisher has a thing for drafting late round CB players after he has one in place and will do so in round 6 or 7

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    18. Remind me... was Fletcher Cox even regarded as a Top 20 prospect before he ran a 4.79 at the Combine?
    To be honest I don't remember any defensive tackles being talked about as top 10-15 picks after the season ended.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    To be honest I don't remember any defensive tackles being talked about as top 10-15 picks after the season ended.
    It's pretty typical for a few guys to shoot up boards based upon their workout numbers and additional film study.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

I think it's funny when Professional Scout who have spent years in the NFL and college ranks and have repeatedly interviewed prospects throughout the years, talked to their coaches, run them through drills, were there when they were practicing in college are discounted as uninformed in favor of "internet guru's" who pretend to know more than anyone else. Hey I've watched every episode of Law & Order, let me explain to you how uninformed the District Attorney is in the Zimmerman case:

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I think it's funny when Professional Scout who have spent years in the NFL and college ranks and have repeatedly interviewed prospects throughout the years, talked to their coaches, run them through drills, were there when they were practicing in college are discounted as uninformed in favor of "internet guru's" who pretend to know more than anyone else. Hey I've watched every episode of Law & Order, let me explain to you how uninformed the District Attorney is in the Zimmerman case:
    I'm not sure who this post is addressed to. Certainly not me, as I made it very clear that I think scouts are knowledgeable while the media's pre-draft work has been horrible.

My criticism is of those who get a scout to say something like "I don't think that PLAYER is tough enough," and then quote the scout as if their word is gospel. Scouts may have informed opinions, but they're still opinions (and they are often wrong). Plus, when only one scout is quoted, we don't know if the quote represents a concensus of opinion, or a minority view.

So, if you want to believe that RGIII is selfish, or Matt Kalil is soft, or blah blah blah is blah blah, because one media person quoted some scout, go ahead. I'm not so quick to judge based upon random second-hand subjective comments.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My criticism is of those who get a scout to say something like "I don't think that PLAYER is tough enough," and then quote the scout as if their word is gospel. Scouts may have informed opinions, but they're still opinions (and they are often wrong).
    Just to continue that thought if I may. The St. Louis Cardinals scout who was assigned to Albert Pujols recommended that the Cardinals not draft him at all, as he didn't believe Pujols had what it took to be a major league ball player. I know that's baseball, but it's just an example of how scouts don't know everything. Scouts get a lot wrong too, if they didn't, no team would go 2-14.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

3. The idea of trading down again is intriguing, but I wouldn't do it unless the Rams received a top 15 pick, another second round pick, and some other consideration.
    I would trade down so long as I still can get Floyd and a 2nd.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    I would trade down so long as I still can get Floyd and a 2nd.
    As an indecisive man once said, "aye, there's the rub." Floyd could go as high as #7 to Jacksonville, so almost any trade down could result in the Rams missing out on him as well.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not that my opinion should really mean anything, but I had him going 32nd in my pre-Senior Bowl mock draft. His rise has been very Amobi Okoye-like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast