Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Av's 20 Pre-2012 Draft Random Thoughts

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Av's 20 Pre-2012 Draft Random Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not that my opinion should really mean anything, but I had him going 32nd in my pre-Senior Bowl mock draft. His rise has been very Amobi Okoye-like.
    ...which is not much of an endorsement.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    1. Through all the analysis, research and discussion, my original position has not changed. I want Justin Blackmon to be the Rams' selection in the first round. To me, he represents the intersection of BPA and need.

2. The Fletcher Cox as the #6 pick talk is interesting. I have yet to hear anyone cite a source within the Rams' organization for this notion. Instead, it seems that a couple of commentators threw out the idea, and several others jumped on the bandwagon. Could it happen? I suppose. But I wouldn't bet on it.

18. Remind me... was Fletcher Cox even regarded as a Top 20 prospect before he ran a 4.79 at the Combine?
    I suppose I should look at more tape on Fletcher Cox to figure out why his stock has risen to the point where he's a supposed #6 candidate for the Rams, but I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw of him against Alabama. Looked more like a Trent Richardson reel to me.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

9. For those who think the draft is predictable, I have two words: Christian Ponder.
    Tell that to Rick Gosselin, who had Ponder going to Washington as the 10th pick last year (he went two picks later to Minnesota, but he had him MUCH higher than anyone was projecting to that point). It's a shame that he is no longer covering the draft this year and beyond because his rankings, prognostication and mock drafts were far and away the most accurate out there.

17. Of the four top non-QB prospects (Blackmon, Kalil, Claiborne, Richardson), the only one I could see the Rams passing on is Kalil.
    I'm not so sure about this one. Let's say the draft went like this:

3. Vikings - Claiborne
    4. Browns - Richardson
    5. Buccaneers - Kuechly

That would leave Kalil and Blackmon still available. Is it crazy to believe that Kalil is the higher rated player? No. In this situation, I can see the Rams taking Kalil over Blackmon, much to the dismay of the majority of Rams fans. This is unlikely for a variety of reasons (Minnesota taking Kalil, Tampa Bay taking Kalil, Tampa Bay trading down with a team who wants Kalil) but will be interesting to see and follow if it does arise on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Tell that to Rick Gosselin, who had Ponder going to Washington as the 10th pick last year (he went two picks later to Minnesota, but he had him MUCH higher than anyone was projecting to that point). It's a shame that he is no longer covering the draft this year and beyond because his rankings, prognostication and mock drafts were far and away the most accurate out there.
    How does picking a guy to go #10 to Washington disprove my point? Yes, he had Ponder going earlier than most, but he had the wrong team, and the team he predicted would take him didn't even take a QB. That's what you call accurate?

Is it crazy to believe that Kalil is the higher rated player? No. In this situation, I can see the Rams taking Kalil over Blackmon, much to the dismay of the majority of Rams fans.
    That's fine. I'm predicting otherwise.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

How does picking a guy to go #10 to Washington disprove my point? Yes, he had Ponder going earlier than most, but he had the wrong team, and the team he predicted would take him didn't even take a QB. That's what you call accurate?
    So why not use any other player who didn't go where most pundits projected? Robert Quinn? Prince Amukamara? Those are guys who were locks to go in the first round but slipped past earlier teams that they were commonly mocked to, i.e. not St. Louis and New York. I assumed you put 'Christian Ponder' to refer to the fact that he was widely considered a fringe first rounder/second round pick but was selected in the top twelve. The fact that you state otherwise means I must've misinterpreted, but I just can't see why you'd put 'Christian Ponder' to allude to the fact that you never know which team a player will go to because you could have chosen anyone else if that's the case. Also to Gosselin's credit, he had Minnesota taking a QB at #12, but obviously the wrong one. The point I was trying to make is you CAN be accurate if you're really, really good at it which Gosselin was. It's a shame he won't be doing it any longer.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -04-24-2012 at 02:08 AM.

With all the mocks out there someone is bound to guess right on an unorthodox pick or two. Heck, when I predicted that the Rams would take a RB the year they took SJax, most said I was crazy, but my guess was correct. That does not change the fact that the draft is largely unpredictable.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

With all the mocks out there someone is bound to guess right on an unorthodox pick or two. Heck, when I predicted that the Rams would take a RB the year they took SJax, most said I was crazy, but my guess was correct. That does not change the fact that the draft is largely unpredictable.
    I imagine it wasn't Jackson that you had predicted though, maybe Chris Perry? I remember when we traded up that I was expecting us to take CB Chris Gamble

I had Jackson going earlier, and the Rams taking Chris Perry at #26. In the end, the Rams took Jackson at #24, and Perry did go at #26 (to the Bengals). Most thought I was crazy to suggest that the Rams would take a RB in Round 1, but I guessed right.

Again, I tell this story not to toot my own horn but, rather, to show that ANYONE can hit on a longshot once in a while.

berg8309 is online now Registered User

I had Jackson going earlier, and the Rams taking Chris Perry at #26. In the end, the Rams took Jackson at #24, and Perry did go at #26 (to the Bengals). Most thought I was crazy to suggest that the Rams would take a RB in Round 1, but I guessed right.

Again, I tell this story not to toot my own horn but, rather, to show that ANYONE can hit on a longshot once in a while.
    Which is what makes the draft fun. There are so many elements to figure out. What the teams needs are, who the best players are at the teams' position of need, and whether any players will be available at their pick that meet those needs and represent good value, to name some of the big ones. It's why the draft pundits are wildly inaccurate with the exception of the first few picks usually. And as you say, there are so many mock drafts, eventually someone is going to get a call right that no one else saw coming.

The constant banter is irritating, as has been complained about on this board, but would we pay any bit of attention to the draft if you could predict it with 100% accuracy 3 months in advance?

richtree is offline Registered User

I could definitely see the Jets becoming interested in trading up for Trent Richardson.
    They want to run the ball more and Greene hasn't been great.

I could see them making a move with Ryan's seat getting warm in NY

berg8309 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I could definitely see the Jets becoming interested in trading up for Trent Richardson.

The question would be if they have the assets to move up that far. I know they have also mentioned Tebow will line up at HB sometimes. Maybe they hope to transition him to a more traditional HB role.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Richtree, what the hell do you think the Tebow trade was for? There's no way that they trade up for Richardson. They already have Greene and Tebow, and can use a late round pick on a "3rd" RB.

Av, what is with this Ponder thing? Is it about how it only takes one desperate team to reach for a player(See also: Gabbert, most Raiders' picks(Howard-Bey)), or is it about the fact that Minnesota is a wild card who should take Kalil, but could trade down or pick Blackmon or Claiborne just as easily?

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if Floyd came off at #6 and Blackmon is still on the board. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have one of them(Floyd preferably after a trade down) than risk it at #33. I would be happy with Randle and be ok with Hill, but unless we know one of them would be there(and we can't), I would rather go for our playmaker on day 1.

In the second, I'm hoping that we take our pick of the second tier RB's or catch a falling OL(Konz? Please please please) at #33 and then use the Redskins pick to take Ta'amu. He's a clogger and may be best suited for a 3-4 NT, but that doesn't mean that he can't clog the hell out of a 4 man front. Still is my second pick for DT, as I've read alot about how he just never left the field in college. If we put him in a rotation, and give him a breather, he may just blow up a half dozen plays as opposed to three a game.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Av, what is with this Ponder thing? Is it about how it only takes one desperate team to reach for a player(See also: Gabbert, most Raiders' picks(Howard-Bey)), or is it about the fact that Minnesota is a wild card who should take Kalil, but could trade down or pick Blackmon or Claiborne just as easily?
    It is simply about how we should have learned by now to expect the unexpected.

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if Floyd came off at #6 and Blackmon is still on the board. I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have one of them(Floyd preferably after a trade down) than risk it at #33. I would be happy with Randle and be ok with Hill, but unless we know one of them would be there(and we can't), I would rather go for our playmaker on day 1.
    I'll say this. Michael Floyd at #6 would surprise me less than Fletcher Cox at #6.

In the second, I'm hoping that we take our pick of the second tier RB's or catch a falling OL(Konz? Please please please) at #33 and then use the Redskins pick to take Ta'amu. He's a clogger and may be best suited for a 3-4 NT, but that doesn't mean that he can't clog the hell out of a 4 man front. Still is my second pick for DT, as I've read alot about how he just never left the field in college. If we put him in a rotation, and give him a breather, he may just blow up a half dozen plays as opposed to three a game.
    The problem with Konz is he is a center, and we just signed Wells. I'd rather have an OG like Kelechi Osemely or Kevin Zeitler.

Ta'amu at #39 would work for me too.

richtree is offline Registered User

Funny how this is the new rumor ^^^^I saw this one coming....what's next ? Trading Sanchez in the mix....

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree

Funny how this is the new rumor ^^^^I saw this one coming....what's next ? Trading Sanchez in the mix....
    So now you're quoting yourself, and then taking credit for seeing this coming as your own rumor?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12