AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 2010 Rams Draft Board (Version 3.0 - 2/4/10)

Time for another update!

My thought process on this has changed a bit, so here are my new rankings:

Time for an update.

While the Rams have the first pick, its still important to have a draft board to account for the possiblity of a trade (either down from pick 1, or up to get a second first round pick), as well as the chance that a player could fall to selection #33.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska (Previous Rank: 1)
    2. Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma (Previous Rank: 6)
    3. Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech (Previous Rank: 2)
    4. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma (Previous Rank: 3)
    5. Joe Haden, CB, Florida (Previous Rank: 4)
    6. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (Previous Rank: 5)
    7. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State (Previous Rank: 6)
    8. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee (Previous Rank: 7)
    9. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame (Previous Rank: 9)
    10. Mike Iupati, OG/RT, Idaho (Previous Rank N/A)

Comments
    At this point, I'm looking at the options as being one of the following: (1) take Suh with the first pick, (2) take Bradford with the first pick, or (3) trade down and take Bradford.

The third option is very tempting, but has three problems. First, the Rams would obviously need a trading partner. Would Tampa give up a 2nd round pick (plus other picks) to move up 2 spots? Who knows? Second, if the Rams trade down to No. 3, they risk a scenario in which the Redskins might trade up to No. 2 if they really want Bradford (while the Rams would still get a great prospect and have an extra 2nd round pick under that scenario, it would not be the intended result). Finally, if the Rams trade down, they lose the opportunity to pre-sign their selection.

Some will undoubtedly question why I've moved Bradford to No. 2 while leaving Jimmy Clausen at No. 9. The answer is that I just don't have the same feeling about Clausen. When I've seen him play, he just didn't stand out to me as a guy who makes you say "Wow. That guy's going to be playing on Sundays.) Bradford - before the injury - was that kind of player in my eyes.

Finally, I've dropped Terrence Cody from the list. While I think he can be a good player, I wonder how much a guy with such liitations is really worth. Iupati strikes me as a guy with Steve Hutchinson type potential at OG, and who also could be a very good starting RT.

Next update will be in March after the Combine.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 2010 Rams Draft Board (Version 2.0 - 2/4/10)

Any reason as to why Eric Berry is so low, and why he is dropping down your list?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Any reason as to why Eric Berry is so low, and why he is dropping down your list?
    It has a lot to do with the position he plays. FS is not a premium position, in my book. Moreover, the Rams have a very good FS in Atogwe (who I expect they will try to retain).

Truth is, the fact that Berry, as a FS, is on my list at all is testament to what a great prospect he is. I could do a Top 50 draft board for the Rams and there probably wouldn't be another safety on it.

richtree is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=AvengerRam;330082]

Some will undoubtedly question why I've moved Bradford to No. 2 while leaving Jimmy Clausen at No. 9. The answer is that I just don't have the same feeling about Clausen. When I've seen him play, he just didn't stand out to me as a guy who makes you say "Wow. That guy's going to be playing on Sundays.) Bradford - before the injury - was that kind of player in my eyes.

QUOTE]

I respect your opinion. I disagree and agree with alot of the things you say about both Bradford and Clausen. Right now I give Clausen the edge but whatever.

My question is based on your above statement (playing devils advoctate.)

Do you think Bradford would have still been a top QB, draft pick in this draft if he played at Notre Dame last season. It was obvious Oklahoma was loaded with talent on won games easily without him at QB, and a lesser replacement.

I can confidently say Claussen would have been even a bigger star at Oklahoma with all that talent. I may argue though, that if Bradford played 2 years at Notre Dame, he may be entering this draft looking more like Tony Pike than a top 10 pick.

What to you think about that? (remember devil's advocate, lol).

I respect your opinion. I disagree and agree with alot of the things you say about both Bradford and Clausen. Right now I give Clausen the edge but whatever.

My question is based on your above statement (playing devils advoctate.)

Do you think Bradford would have still been a top QB, draft pick in this draft if he played at Notre Dame last season. It was obvious Oklahoma was loaded with talent on won games easily without him at QB, and a lesser replacement.

I can confidently say Claussen would have been even a bigger star at Oklahoma with all that talent. I may argue though, that if Bradford played 2 years at Notre Dame, he may be entering this draft looking more like Tony Pike than a top 10 pick.
    I don't see that. First of all, Clausen had pretty good offensive talent surrounding him, including a WR who will be drafted in the first two rounds this year.

Second, Oklahoma went 8-5 this year, playing most of the season without Bradford (he did not play the full game in any of their losses). In 2007 and 2008, they went 23-5 with Bradford at QB.

Clausen strikes me as a guy who has a little too much attitude for his own good. Kind of the J.P. Losman mold. I could be wrong (I've never met the guy), but that's my perception. More importantly, though, I just think Bradford has the more accurate arm of the two.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 2010 Rams Draft Board (Version 3.0 - 2/4/10)

I could see where his attidude is in question with the bar fights and such..

Juaquin Iglesias was a stud for Bradford too.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

AV are you going to do that thing you did last year the way us in clan ram ranked them and you did the math and put up a final ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    AV are you going to do that thing you did last year the way us in clan ram ranked them and you did the math and put up a final ranking?
    Yeah... I'll do that after the Combine.

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

Watch Clausen throw the deep ball, he looks like hes trying to hurl a bowling ball, using his entire body to get up the strength. His throwing motion changes slightly (bringing the ball farther back)to achieve the distance.
    Bradford looks like hes throwing a roll of toilet paper, he just changes his angle but the throwing motion remains the same. EACH and EVERYTIME he throws the ball, like its nothing.

Bradford imo is just a smoother throwing QB, and hits his guys in stride ALOT more often

This is just what Ive noticed after alot of game watching, and is only an opinion.

GO RAMS!