Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's 2012 Rams Draft Board (Post-Combine)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's 2012 Rams Draft Board (Post-Combine)

Here's my Version 2.0 of the Rams Draft Board.

Key
    Previous rank in parenthesis (N/R = not previously ranked)
    Risers listed in GREEN.
    Fallers listed in RED.

The Top 10

1. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State (1)

Blackmon remains my top choice for the Rams. However, given his choice not to run at the Combine, the final evaluation for Blackmon won’t be made until his Pro Day. If he can run a 4.55 or better, he’ll likely stay at my top spot.

2. Matt Kalil, OT, USC (2)
    If there any question that Kalil is the top OT in this draft, those questions no longer exist. His weight was up to 306, and he was still the fastest OT at the Combine.

3. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU (3)
    Claiborne is a real option for the Rams if the move down in Round 1. He would fill a need and likely start from day 1.

4. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (4)
    Richardson didn’t do much at the Combine, but there’s no reason to downgrade him at this point. It would be a surprise to see the Rams take a RB in the early first round, but a trade could result in Richardson being the BPA when the Rams make their first choice.

5. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama (8)
    Given his solid Combine performance, and the dropping of charges stemming from his marijuana arrest, I’m putting Kirkpatrick back where he belongs from a skill standpoint.

6. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford (5)
    Martin didn’t work out at the Combine, but he sure looks the part at 6’5, 312 lbs. I’ve heard some suggest he lacks a “nasty streak,” but his pass blocking credentials are impeccable.

7. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (6)
    Reiff didn’t have a great Combine, but he still projects as one of the top OTs in this class.

8. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford (11)
    DeCastro may be a player at a “non-premium” position, but he is a Blue Chip prospect. The idea of Dahl and DeCastro at the OG spots sounds pretty good to me.

9. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina

While few were surprised by his 4.50 40 time, the fact that he ran that fast at 244 lbs. tells me that he is the guy I want lining up to James Laurinaitis.

10. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    Floyd’s past “indiscretions” still concern me, but he certainly has elite measureables: 6’2, 220 lbs., 4.47 40 time. If his interviews go well, he could be a very tempting player.

The Rest (11-25)

11. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama (9)
    12. Fetcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State (22)
    13. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina (25)
    14. Cordy Glenn, OT, Georgia (N/R)
    15. Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa State (20)
    16. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State (16)
    17. Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama (N/R)
    18. Janoris Jenkins, CB, N.Alabama (12)
    19. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU (17)
    20. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (24)
    21. Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU (21)
    22. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis (N/R)
    23. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech (N/R)
    24. Almeda Ta’amu, DT, Washington (19)
    25. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State (N/R)

Out of Top 25:
    Devon Still, DT, Penn State; Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina; Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor; Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska; Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 2012 Rams Draft Board (Post-Combine)

I wouldn't want any Offensive Guard early....we would have to pay too much early money that we could be using on an atheltic player..

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I wouldn't want any Offensive Guard early....we would have to pay too much early money that we could be using on an atheltic player..
    That's not really the case any more under the new rookie scale.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No matter what scale you are using, an offensive guard can be found in later rounds -- I would not pass on CB, WR, RB, OLB, DT, OT for a Guard ....it's that simple.....

We already have Dahl on one side..

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    No matter what scale you are using, an offensive guard can be found in later rounds -- I would not pass on CB, WR, RB, OLB, DT, OT for a Guard ....it's that simple.....

We already have Dahl on one side..
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I disagree - assuming its an elite OG prospect.

That said... so we don't get too fixated on one small part of my board.... what do you think of the other 24 players listed?
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

not a fan of Zach Brown as an elite OLB in draft....I would rather have Hightower or Upshaw....Also, don't you think it is funny there is not 1 legit Strong Safety being talked about ....

odd year.....I really love your 11-25 guys...Martin over Miller for me but that's just preference....

Also, I can't see Stephen Hill not being a top 40 pick....he should go off the board in the 17-29 range....but if there is anyway he falls to our ROUND 2 PICK -- LOCK HIM UP FOR THAT SPOT

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agreed! If we can find an instant or first year starter (OG)- a guy who has "it" then where we take him becomes less an issue. What we can't "afford" are any more busts on day one, regardless of position.

Av, how long do you see Zack Brown lasting? Any chance he makes it to round 2 in your opinion?

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Say the Rams do swap with Cleveland for their two firsts, do you see Poe as an option at 22 (provided he lasts that long)

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Av, how long do you see Zack Brown lasting? Any chance he makes it to round 2 in your opinion?
    Its hard to say. He's arguably the best 4-3 OLB prospect, but LBs often last until Round 2. If I had to guess, I'd say he will be selected anywhere from Pick #25-#45.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Say the Rams do swap with Cleveland for their two firsts, do you see Poe as an option at 22 (provided he lasts that long)
    You have to love Poe's athleticism at 346 lbs. The knock on him is that some have suggested he's not a high effort guy and, as a result, his production aginst mediocre competition does not jump off the page.

I think he could be there at #22. I doubt I'd take him there. I'd look at him more as a possibility at pick #33, if he lasts.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think I would bump Floyd over Brown, but I guess knowing me you would know that.

Btw I think Zach Brown WILL be available at #33, I have a strong feeling about this

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

22. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis (N/R)

Watched his combine and he is pretty awesome. But would hope they address WR, OLB, CB or RB over Lineman.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

If the Rams don't have Kendall Wright and Reuben Randall ahead of Stephen Hill they shouldn't have jobs. I think a team with a lot of luxury will take a chance and draft him in the first (Hill), but he will most likely take 2+ years to develop and won't be more than a healthy Danario until then.

Alshon shouldn't be on the Rams draft board, especially after the horrible interviews he apparently had. The Rams have 2 guys with amazing hands, size, and ability to catch in traffic that they drafted last year. With Pettis and Salas, I can't imagine the Rams taking anyone with similar styles. Its just a waste. With that being said, guys who have trouble separating in college should be completely undervalued on the Rams board, if not taken out completely. I expect Alshon, Sanu, Criner, Dwight Jones, Fuller, ect... to be nonexistent on the Rams draft board.

There are rumors that some teams have Reiff labeled as a guard. I don't think the Rams are one of those teams, but he still might be valued similar to Glenn and Adams.

I don't see David Wilson (RB), but I think he would be up there with Miller and Martin, especially after how great he was in pass catching drills. He was by far the most natural route runner and pass catcher at the combine, and paired with his speed and electric ability he should be ranked pretty well.

Kalil, Claiborne, and Blackmon are all blue-chips. I'll be severely disappointed if the Rams don't get one of those 3. Richardson, and DeCastro are similar blue-chips at a worse value. I wouldn't be mad with DeCastro in the first, even though I would still be disappointed we didn't land one of the top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    If the Rams don't have Kendall Wright and Reuben Randall ahead of Stephen Hill they shouldn't have jobs. I think a team with a lot of luxury will take a chance and draft him in the first (Hill), but he will most likely take 2+ years to develop and won't be more than a healthy Danario until then.
    Actually, a healthy Danario sounds pretty good. As for Wright and Randall, I think you are having trouble distiguishing your opinion from gospel fact.

I don't see David Wilson (RB), but I think he would be up there with Miller and Martin, especially after how great he was in pass catching drills. He was by far the most natural route runner and pass catcher at the combine, and paired with his speed and electric ability he should be ranked pretty well.
    Wilson's not a bad prospect, but at 206 lbs and a 4.49 40, I don't think he matches up to Miller (4.40 at 212 lbs.) or Martin (4.55 at 223 lbs.).

DA84 is offline Registered User

Av, do you think there's a chance that Floyd could overtake Blackmon? Not necessarily at #1 spot, but if Blackmon were to fall could Floyd rise that much?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast