Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By turbofargo

Thread: Av's 2014 "10-foot Pole" List

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 2014 "10-foot Pole" List

Here is my 2014 list of prospects I would not touch with a 10-foot pole.

Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    I don't think Manziel will be a good NFL QB. Its that simple. I could see him having a few good moments, like Tim Tebow did, but in the long run, I think that size, a style of play that will subject him to hits, and his marginal arm will prevent him from living up to his hype. On top of that, I don't like college players who embrace celebrity the way he has. I know that's a subjective critique, but its how I feel.

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    Roby did not have a good year in 2013. Despite this, his strong workout performances put him back in the Round 1-2 range. Then, he had a DUI type incident. Too many negatives for my taste. I'll pass.

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    There was a time I was high enough on Cyrus to actually learn how to spell his last name. But, truth told, even before reports of potentially chronic knee issues arose, he had a very mediocre 2013 campaign. Perhaps his prior status was due to playing with three OL who are currently on NFL rosters.

Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
    When you look at his measurables, you might think Hill was the top RB in the class. Talent-wise, he's up there. But go look up his criminal history. Do you still want him? Me neither.

Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    Here's a perfect example of a guy who has taken a ton of potential and squandered it. Henderson is a physical specimen, but never took the time to learn his craft. Now, it comes out that he failed a drug test at the Combine (marijuana). Some guys just don't seem to care enough to do the right thing.

Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Prior to the Senior Bowl, some people had Richardson rated as a first round prospect. Instead, Aaron Donald, who beat Richardson constantly despite giving up about 45 pounds, showed that Richardson is more likely to be the next in line to be a bust OL from Baylor (Jason Smith, Danny Watkins).

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 2014 "10-foot Pole" List

I will never ever understand the mentality of throwing a way a true gift to play in an elite league cause you want to get high or want to be a bad boy. Just boggles my mind.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I, as you, would not touch Richardson, or Kouandjio with a 10 foot pole.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

There's a C&W song in that phrase, "...be a bust from Baylor". Either that or I just like alliterations.

Good list no arguements with any of them, although I might add Dee Ford (too much smack talk at the Combine).

Go Rams!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    I don't think Manziel will be a good NFL QB. Its that simple. I could see him having a few good moments, like Tim Tebow did, but in the long run, I think that size, a style of play that will subject him to hits, and his marginal arm will prevent him from living up to his hype. On top of that, I don't like college players who embrace celebrity the way he has. I know that's a subjective critique, but its how I feel.
    And that was before his checkbook had millions in it. Just think how unleashed this guy is going to be when he can actually throw money around instead of just acting like someone who throws money around.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And that was before his checkbook had millions in it. Just think how unleashed this guy is going to be when he can actually throw money around instead of just acting like someone who throws money around.
    the name Matt Leinart jumped into my mind for some reason too. Guy stayed an extra year to "finish" his education and it was actually just a dance class he ended up taking for a few measly credits. Guy was living large as a celebrity long before the draft... (Leaf was same way)

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Two guys believing their own hype and celebrity.
    RockinRam likes this.