Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Av's 2014 Rams 7 Round Mock (Version 1.0)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 2014 Rams 7 Round Mock (Version 1.0)

Here is my first of what I'm sure will be several attempts at this...

As of today (11/6/2013), the Rams have the 9th and 11th selections in the first round.

So, here's my suggestion/projection:

Round 1: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    My first choice, Jake Matthews, will likely be gone by this point, but Lewan is a very good prospect as well. I think he can be a bookend for fellow Wolverine Jake Long in the short run, and a franchise LT in the long run.

Round 1: Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida
    For the Rams to maximize their run-stuffing and pass rush, they need CBs who can challenge and cover at the line of scrimmage. Purifoy has good size and should fit this scheme.

Round 2: Craig Loston, S, LSU
    LSU has become an NFL DB factory in recent years, and Loston is the latest safety off the assembly line. Pair him with T.J. McDonald and going over the middle will be a scary proposition for opposing WRs.

Round 3: Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami
    While he might only be a 2 down player, he would be the kind of "tackling machine" that we could use in the front seven. More upside and long-term potential than FA to be Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Round 4: Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
    Big, 327 lb. run-stuffer would fit well in the rotation, and could replace Kendall Langford if the Rams decide that he's too costly to keep.

Round 5: Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky
    Quick, productive and well-rounded. He would be give the Rams a great 1-2 punch with emerging workhorse Zac Stacy. His receiving skills are a big plus.

Round 6: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
    Here's my sleeper pick. Garoppolo does not have the type of cannon arm that would place him in line to be selected on the first two days of the draft, but he does everything well. Keep this on the down-low. I don't want word to get out!

Round 7: Ryan Groy, OG, Wisconsin
    Jeff Fisher wants to run the ball, and you don't start on the Badgers' O Line if you can't run block. The Rams need to start planning for the end of Harvey Dahl's run, so this pick makes sense in the short and long run.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-07-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 2014 Rams 7 Round Mock (Version 1.0)

Nice choices AvR been thinking about the defensive line as well good thoughts all around in these choices. Don't know your QB but will have to look in on him now... also the guard pick up is nearly as essential as the tackle imho. We really need to improve our line for the future with this draft!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Real good draft for such any early attempt. Do you want the Rams to sign Jo-Lonn Dunbar long term? I hope we don't have two more rookies starting next year on our defense. Do you see Ray Ray having a shot at getting some playing time or possibly replacing Jo-Lonn Dunbar next year?

The only change I would make to this draft is take a guard in the third and resign Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Real good draft for such any early attempt. Do you want the Rams to sign Jo-Lonn Dunbar long term? I hope we don't have two more rookies starting next year on our defense. Do you see Ray Ray having a shot at getting some playing time or possibly replacing Jo-Lonn Dunbar next year?

That only change I would make to this draft is take a guard in the third and resign Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
    At this point, I want to see how Dunbar plays for the remainder of the season before deciding whether I'd make him a free agent priority. Since his return from his suspension, he has not really done much, so the jury's still out. If the Rams were to re-sign him, I agree that LB would drop down on the priority list and probably be a Day 3 need.

Here's a nice piece on Garoppolo:

Jimmy Garoppolo gaining attention with his passing exploits

• By Mike Huguenin
    • College Football 24/7 writer
    • Published: Sept. 19, 2013 at 02:48 p.m.
    • Updated: Sept. 19, 2013 at 03:22 p.m.

Christopher Hanewinckel/USA TODAY Sports
    Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo is closing in on Tony Romo's school record for career TD passes.
    There hasn't been a FCS quarterback drafted in the first round since Baltimore selected Joe Flacco out of Delaware with the 18th overall pick in 2008. Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo could be the next.
    Garoppolo (6-feet-3, 222 pounds), who ranked 48th on NFL Media draft analyst Gil Brandt's preseason list of the nation's top 100 seniors, plays his second FBS opponent of the season Saturday when EIU plays at Northern Illinois. In EIU's opener, Garoppolo torched San Diego State for 361 yards and three touchdowns. His performance drew praise from Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, whose team played San Diego State in Week 2.

During his weekly teleconference before the SDSU game, Meyer said he had watched tape of the San Diego State-EIU game and said that "Eastern has really one of the best quarterbacks I've ever seen. I didn't even know who he was until I watched him. He's a great player."
    Garoppolo threw for 440 yards and four TDs in a Week 2 win over Southern Illinois, then for 480 yards and seven TDs (six in the first half) last week against Illinois State.

Eastern Illinois coach Dino Babers was Baylor's wide receivers coach when Robert Griffin III was the Bears' quarterback, and he told the Arlington Heights (Ill.) Daily Herald that in the first half against Illinois State, Garoppolo "was as hot as I've ever seen any quarterback, and I've seen Robert Griffin III mighty hot in a couple of games in the Big 12."

Garoppolo was lightly recruited out of high school in the Chicago suburbs and signed with EIU over offers from Illinois State and Montana State. During the recruiting process, he heard from FBS schools Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Northern Illinois, Ohio University, Purdue and Western Michigan, but none offered a scholarship. Before his senior season, Garoppolo told rivals.com that his "dream schools" were Florida and Notre Dame, but he never heard from either one.

Garoppolo has been a four-year starter for Eastern Illinois and recently passed New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton to become the school's career leader in completions. He has 79 career TD passes, six away from tying Tony Romo's -- yes, that Tony Romo -- school record of 85. (Washington Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan is another former EIU quarterback.)

Garoppolo has a strong arm, but what sets him apart is his quick release. Babers told the Chicago Tribune that Garoppolo has the fastest release he ever has seen.

Garoppolo long has credited former EIU quarterback Jeff Christensen for helping him develop top-flight mechanics. Christensen played in the NFL and began working with Garoppolo when he was in high school. (Jeff Christensen's son, Jake, played quarterback at Iowa before losing the starting job to Ricky Stanzi and finishing his career at EIU.) Christensen told the Tribune that he often has told Garoppolo that he will be an
    NFL quarterback -- and an NFL starter at that.

If Garoppolo works out as well as Flacco ...
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Randart likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As I was opening the thread, I thought "how far into the article before Flacco's name is mentioned"?

That would be.....the first sentence.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

The more I read up on Garoppolo, the more I'm thinking that I may have him projected way too late. He could be a Day 2 pick from what I'm now reading.

Watch his film (there is some on YouTube). He really stands in the pocket and delivers the ball with confidence. I also love reading that he has an extremely quick release, as I think that is one of the most important attributes for a QB.

Good chance he'll be on a lot of my Rams mocks - though, as I said, probably at a higher round in future efforts.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Not bad, love the Perryman pick, he is in my mock that ill post this next week. I think he goes earlier than our 3rd round pick, but if he does land there thatd be awesome.

I could live with this draft, I think all the first round cb's are pretty much grouped together and they can pick whichever they think is best, but i don't see much differences between them all so far, have to research more.

Not sold on Loston, but wasn't sold on Ried either and he has done a great job.
    Last edited by Tampa_Ram; -11-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The more I read up on Garoppolo, the more I'm thinking that I may have him projected way too late. He could be a Day 2 pick from what I'm now reading.
    CBS Sports/NFL Draft Scout has him projected as a 4th to 5th rounder at the moment, but good quarterbacks tend to rise so I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaked into Day Two.

The mock is great, OT and DB are strong first round considerations. One question I have is about the Groy pick. It's not entirely uncommon for late round offensive linemen to stick, but the description you've provided makes it sound like you feel he could be a future replacement for Dahl at guard. Am I reading that right, and if so, do you think it speaks to Groy's ability and projection as an NFL player or the talent of our coaching staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One question I have is about the Groy pick. It's not entirely uncommon for late round offensive linemen to stick, but the description you've provided makes it sound like you feel he could be a future replacement for Dahl at guard. Am I reading that right, and if so, do you think it speaks to Groy's ability and projection as an NFL player or the talent of our coaching staff?
    As I see it, the Rams will likely squeeze another year out of Dahl, so a guy like Groy would initially be there for depth. It would be optimistic to think any Round 6-7 prospect will necessarily evolve into a starter, but I do believe that a run blocker from Wisconsin is going to have a better chance than most to rise to that level. If not, the Rams will probably be looking at the OG position early in the 2015 draft.

On the subject of interior linemen, I also note that I did not select a center, even though I quesiton whether Wells will be retained. The reason for that is that I still have faith that Barrett Jones, after what has become a bit of a "redshirt" rookie year, has potential to be a starting center.
    Nick and Randart like this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Looks like a great mock. I'm really starting to like the idea of taking a CB early and perhaps allowing more man coverage which would convert the D into a top 5 unit.

Didn't the Rams get a 7th from the Colts from the Josh Gordy trade?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Didn't the Rams get a 7th from the Colts from the Josh Gordy trade?
    Not sure... I'd have to look that up.

Also, given that several Rams FAs were signed by other teams (Jackson, Amendola, Gibson, Dahl, Fletcher), I think we could be eligible for a compensatory selection or two.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    CBS Sports/NFL Draft Scout has him projected as a 4th to 5th rounder at the moment, but good quarterbacks tend to rise so I wouldn't be surprised if he sneaked into Day Two.

The mock is great, OT and DB are strong first round considerations. One question I have is about the Groy pick. It's not entirely uncommon for late round offensive linemen to stick, but the description you've provided makes it sound like you feel he could be a future replacement for Dahl at guard. Am I reading that right, and if so, do you think it speaks to Groy's ability and projection as an NFL player or the talent of our coaching staff?
    Nice mock AV. This is a gutsy move as we don't know the underclassmen yet. I like the emphasis on the secondary as we need help there. From what I've seen Lewan may not be there at #9 if Pittsburgh is ahead of us and presumably Jake Mathews will be long gone as well. The Garoppolo pick is interesting as he will be a back-up for us, but you may be right he could go sooner than round 6. They will have to declare, but I was thinking about Sean Manion (Oregon St.) or Jordan Lynch (N. Illinois) as they play at FBS schools. The 1 comment I have about our current FO, they shop at the brand name schools. They prefer players who've been on the big stage, unlike the Devaney/Spags era. So Antonio Andrews from Western Ky. is likely to reflect Bobby Petrino's coaching more than his skill set learned from playing FCS schools and Garoppolo may be considered in the same light. But the Combine will sort all that out.

Nick, here we go again, another year, another Wisconsin O-Lineman to debate. Last year it was Ricky Wagner. I had my eye on Ryan Groy vs Iowa and the best I can say is he plays Left Guard where we need a better player than Chris Williams. So I'm not sure I disagree with you, but Draft Countdown has him rated pretty high and I think AV is right when he applauds Wisc. O-Linemen for their run blocking skills.

Miles and miles to go before we get too serious about the draft.

Go Rams!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great work AV, very much appreciated. A couple of points from me (a non draft expert). First, i think the Rams own pick will be better than #9, more like 4, 5 or 6 and i think we get Mathews. Second, my pick in the third round for the Rams is Taje Boyd, qb, Clemson.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    First, i think the Rams own pick will be better than #9, more like 4, 5 or 6 and i think we get Mathews.
    Certainly possible. I was using their current position. If Matthews is available whenever the Rams make their selection, he'd be my pick.

Second, my pick in the third round for the Rams is Taje Boyd, qb, Clemson.
    I'm a bit down on Boyd after his performance against FSU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast