Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    This mock is a combination of (1) players that fit the Rams' needs, (2) players I like, and (3) players I think will be available when the Rams make their first four picks.

    So... with those considerations in mind, here is how I see it:

    Round 1, #16: Matt Elam, S, Florida

    I think that if one of the three "elite" OL were there (Luke Joekel, Eric Fisher, Chance Warmack), then the Rams would likely take one of them. However, if those three are gone, as I expect they will be, I think the Rams will go with a BPMA (best play maker available) approach. Elam fits that mold. I also see him as a guy with the kind of "swagger" that Jeff Fisher loves in his DBs. Plus, when it comes down to it, while safety might not be the "most important position" on the field, it is clearly the position where the Rams were the most deficient last year.

    Round 1(#22): Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

    I expect the Rams will be shut out in FA at the WR position, and I have my doubts that Danny Amendola will return (particularly if he tests the market), so the Rams will need to give Sam Bradford another weapon. Williams is a big play receiver who has decent size (6'2, 200) and deep speed. He was ridiculously productive at Baylor last year. Adding him would give the Rams a promising set of young WRs.

    Round 2(46): Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee

    At this point in the draft, the next group of OL (Johnathan Cooper, Lane Johnson, Barrett Jones, D.J. Fluker) will likely be off the board, so the Rams will need to pull the trigger here and upgrade their OL. I think there is a good chance that Thomas will still be available, and he would be a great addition at RT (or, potentially, LG).

    Round 3(#78)/Steven Jackson Stays:
    Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA

    Fauria is more of a really big WR than a full-service TE (translation: he's not a great in-line blocker). His main roles are as a chain mover from the slot, and a Red Zone nightmare for DBs. The mix of him and the improving Lance Kendricks would give the Rams a nice TE duo and round out the receiving corps as a whole.

    Round 3(#78)/Steven Jackson Leaves:
    Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State

    If Jackson leaves, the Rams will need a new workhorse to compliment speed backs Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead. Bell is 244 lbs., and was extremely productive at Michigan State (1,793 yards, 12 TDs). He is also a good receiver out of the backfield (67 receptions over last two years). I doubt he'll run a great 40 time (probably somewhere in the 4.6s), so he'll likely still be on the board at this point. He could prove to be a steal.


  2. #2
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Its so-so in my opinion. I certainly dont want to spend the #16 pick on a S, mainly because I don't exactly think its great value. I'm not a huge fan of Terrance Williams either. I don't think he is a bad prospect, he just reminds me a lot of Quick (though not nearly as raw). I'd prefer someone like DeAndre Hopkins.

    Dallas Thomas is going to have to slide in to OG at the NFL level, his arms are too short. Don't really like Fauria in the third, maybe late 5th early 6th, I'd prefer Gavin Escobar at that spot.

    Le'Veon Bell is intriguing though. The guy is an absolute truck. I have a special place in my heart for those kinds of RB's. I certainly would be ecstatic with either him or Stepfan Taylor at that choice!
    Vinnie25 likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  3. #3
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    I agree with Sosa, I think we'd definitely be reaching with both of your 1st round picks. If anything, pick BPA with the 16th pick (Warmack, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson, etc.) and Elam should still be there when we pick 22nd. I like the Fauria pick, but he's not nearly as fast and athletic as I thought he was (his 40 time is in the high 4.6/low 4.7 area) and he might fall back into the 4th or 5th round. I do love Le'Veon Bell though, and I think he could be the "thunder" to the Pead/Richardson's "lightning".

  4. #4
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    First off, I've made it known that I'm anti-WR, so you know I don't like your #22.

    #16 I'm all for the position, and I've yet to make up my mind about whom. I think Vaccaro is more likely to be rated as the top safety, but at this point it's splitting hairs. I'm specifically looking for the best FREE safety, since we have some players who can play the strong side and in the box specifically.

    If we don't address the offensive line in the first round, then we definitely need to in the second. I don't know if Thomas will be there at 46, however. Warford very well could be, however, and he looks to be a massive guard who could lock down the inside of our line.

    In the third, I like your thinking with either Fauria(who will be gone in the third, just watch Sosa) or RB. I would also suggest looking at the other UCLA offensive star who is coming out. At one point in the season, Johnathan Franklin rated in the top 15 schools in rushing yards, by himself. He cooled off as the Bruins started playing their Pac-12 schedule, but he's got workhorse abilities. This week, he's been blowing up the Senior Bowl. I'm expecting him to be available in the 3-4th round.
    I believe!

  5. #5
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,502
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    First off, I've made it known that I'm anti-WR, so you know I don't like your #22.

    #16 I'm all for the position, and I've yet to make up my mind about whom. I think Vaccaro is more likely to be rated as the top safety, but at this point it's splitting hairs. I'm specifically looking for the best FREE safety, since we have some players who can play the strong side and in the box specifically.

    If we don't address the offensive line in the first round, then we definitely need to in the second. I don't know if Thomas will be there at 46, however. Warford very well could be, however, and he looks to be a massive guard who could lock down the inside of our line.

    In the third, I like your thinking with either Fauria(who will be gone in the third, just watch Sosa) or RB. I would also suggest looking at the other UCLA offensive star who is coming out. At one point in the season, Johnathan Franklin rated in the top 15 schools in rushing yards, by himself. He cooled off as the Bruins started playing their Pac-12 schedule, but he's got workhorse abilities. This week, he's been blowing up the Senior Bowl. I'm expecting him to be available in the 3-4th round.
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see Fauria get taken in the 3rd, but I wouldn't touch him until the 5th (now that I've done sufficient studying on him). I love your idea about Warford in the 2nd though. As Mike Mayock would say, "he's a phone-booth guard, he's got a bubble butt". Guys a power pig, I'd love to see him in the 2nd.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  6. #6
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,140
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    I would have went Jawan Jamison, Rutgers over Bell -- Jamison is built like a small tank., but I see why Bell since Richardson and Pead are "smaller-ish"

  7. #7
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25
    I agree with Sosa, I think we'd definitely be reaching with both of your 1st round picks. If anything, pick BPA with the 16th pick (Warmack, Dion Jordan, Sheldon Richardson, etc.) and Elam should still be there when we pick 22nd. I like the Fauria pick, but he's not nearly as fast and athletic as I thought he was (his 40 time is in the high 4.6/low 4.7 area) and he might fall back into the 4th or 5th round. I do love Le'Veon Bell though, and I think he could be the "thunder" to the Pead/Richardson's "lightning".
    How could you know Fauria's 40 time? The Combine is next month.

  8. #8
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    869
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    How could you know Fauria's 40 time? The Combine is next month.
    He ran a couple 40's at UCLA and his time went from the low 4.7 to mid 4.8 range... they're "unofficial" and could be improved, but they give a good idea of where he'll place at the combine. Meanwhile, Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are both expected to run in the high 4.5 to mid 4.6 second range, which is kind of surprising since I was under the impression that Fauria was a lot more athletic than both of them.

  9. #9
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    He ran a couple 40's at UCLA and his time went from the low 4.7 to mid 4.8 range... they're "unofficial" and could be improved, but they give a good idea of where he'll place at the combine. Meanwhile, Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz are both expected to run in the high 4.5 to mid 4.6 second range, which is kind of surprising since I was under the impression that Fauria was a lot more athletic than both of them.
    Given your lack of any source, you'll forgive me if I disregard your "report" and wait for the Combine.

    Besides, I don't see Fauria as a deep threat. Rather, what I've seen of him at UCLA is a guy who is "money" on 3rd down playing from the slot, and a great Red Zone target.

  10. #10
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Dallas Thomas is going to have to slide in to OG at the NFL level, his arms are too short.
    I think you need to be careful about these types of "absolute" comments. Are his arms shorter than the ideal? Yes. Is that a clear indicator that he can't play OT (particularly RT) in the NFL? No.

    Besides, the Rams need to look at both the RT and the LG spot, so he'd have two chances to become a starter.

    I will throw this in though... one guy who bears watching is Chris Faulk of LSU. He was viewed by many as one of the top 2-3 OT prospects coming into this season before a knee injury sidelined him. Here is a report on his status:

    Faulk had surgery and would have been ready to compete in spring practice after what he called a successful rehabilitation. He said he's not quite back at full speed but he's getting close.
    "My health is good," he said. "I'm training hard and getting my leg back stronger the way it's supposed to be.
    "I've got one focus, and that's to get my leg back to 100 percent. I'm on the right path and everything looks good. I'm up there, I'm not going to put any numbers on it but I'm doing pretty good."
    If he is on track to play this year, I think he could be a steal. Not sure I'd roll the dice on him in Round 2 at this point, but I certainly would consider him in Round 3 (which, of course, might be too late).

  11. #11
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,756
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    First let me say, I like your picks. I'm assuming that you believe Vacarro will be gone by #16, which is entirely possible given what I've read about him lately. I do question a bit your rationale of Terrence Williams, whom I know you have liked all year for us. While I cannot argue against him due to his production and measureables, you contradict yourself a bit by saying that we lose Amendola and will be shut out of the WR FA sweepstakes. Granted we don't have the money for Bowe or Wallace most likely, we might be able to afford Greg Jennings. Whether we choose to sign any of those WR's is a whole other discussion. My one question is if we lose Amendola do you envision Givens playing the slot with Williams as the deep threat? We could be dangerous in that scenario, I like it.

    Having said all this I think you paint a very good picture for this point in the draft process as we haven't had a Senior Bowl or Combine to consider. I have to admit I lean toward a TE earlier over a WR because I think we need a Red Zone threat and I'm banking on Brian Quick to mature into that role for WR in 2013. As usual, you've done a good job of prompting discussion. Well done.

    Go Rams!

  12. #12
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I'm assuming that you believe Vacarro will be gone by #16
    Its starting to look that way. Of course, there is still a lot that can change.

    While I cannot argue against him due to his production and measureables, you contradict yourself a bit by saying that we lose Amendola and will be shut out of the WR FA sweepstakes. Granted we don't have the money for Bowe or Wallace most likely, we might be able to afford Greg Jennings.
    I have a feeling that the Rams are more likely to spend FA $ on an OL or a LB rather than a WR. I also think that the top FA priorty among current Rams (after SJax) will be Hayes.

    My one question is if we lose Amendola do you envision Givens playing the slot with Williams as the deep threat? We could be dangerous in that scenario, I like it.
    I think Givens can be successful in the slot, and we also have Pettis. Fauria would be another option.

    Having said all this I think you paint a very good picture for this point in the draft process as we haven't had a Senior Bowl or Combine to consider. I have to admit I lean toward a TE earlier over a WR because I think we need a Red Zone threat and I'm banking on Brian Quick to mature into that role for WR in 2013. As usual, you've done a good job of prompting discussion. Well done.
    Thanks. I too go back and forth in terms of which position to prioritize.

  13. #13
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,756
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

    I have a feeling that the Rams are more likely to spend FA $ on an OL or a LB rather than a WR. I also think that the top FA priorty among current Rams (after SJax) will be Hayes.
    I tend to agree with you on the FA $ priority. Interesting that you consider a rotational DL a top priority, which speaks volumes about the lack of FA $ we have available. If we do go the OL or LB route in FA, any thoughts on whom we would target? Don't go Ryan Clady on me now.

    Go Rams!

  14. #14
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,847
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    At LB, I'm intrigued by the idea of Anthony Spencer. Maybe he'd want to join his old DC here?

    On the OL, I'm hoping that Phil Loadholt will hit the market, though the Vikings will certainly try to resign him.

  15. #15
    mde8352gorams's Avatar
    mde8352gorams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,756
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Av's 3 Round Rams Mock (1/24/13 Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    At LB, I'm intrigued by the idea of Anthony Spencer. Maybe he'd want to join his old DC here?

    On the OL, I'm hoping that Phil Loadholt will hit the market, though the Vikings will certainly try to resign him.
    Good thoughts. I had the same idea about Spencer considering the Ryan hire. I like Loadholt too, but you're right the Vikes will try to resign him in the worst way.

    Just to pivot back to your mock; as I think about it more I'm starting to think that we may trade out of the #16 spot to gain an extra round 2 pick and more. I'm sensing that Elam would be there at #22 if the Rams wanted him. I'm not as certain as you about his value at 16. Its early though and much evaluating needs to be done. One thing I've learned about Les and Jeff is they will not draft a player based solely on need, there has to be value there. I like that as I'm sure you do as well.

    Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: -04-17-2012, 04:39 AM
  2. Av's 7-Round Rams Mock Draft (Final Version)
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
  3. Av's 7-Round Rams Mock Draft (Version 2.0)
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
  4. Av's FINAL Rams 7 Round/First 33 Picks Mock Drafts
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: -04-19-2010, 05:28 AM
  5. Av's 7 Round Rams Mock Draft
    By AvengerRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: -03-11-2010, 05:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •