Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Av's 7-Round 2014 Rams Mock (Version 2.0 - Just in time for Christmas!)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 7-Round 2014 Rams Mock (Version 2.0 - Just in time for Christmas!)

Time for my second run at a Rams mock.

As always, I am doing this without projecting any FA signings or trades. I am presuming that the Rams' first pick remains in the top 3, while their second selection falls in the mid-late teens.

Round 1: Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (Prior Selection: Taylor Lewan)
    As the Redskins have continued to lose, the Rams are now in a position to select Jake Matthews, the top OT prospect in thedraft. With the injury to Jake Long, this could be a no-brainer. Still, I would be tempted to listen to trade offers before making a final decision.

Round 1: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State (Prior Selection: Louchiez Purifoy)
    Gilbert would be a good value in the mid-late teens. I like his size (6’0, 200 lbs)and his ball-hawking abilities (6 interceptions). The Rams need to upgrade their talent and depth in the DB, so this fits a need.

Round 2: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State (Prior Selection: Craig Loston)
    The Rams need to continue to emphasize the running game. I believe that there is enough talent and depth at the RB position, but the interior OL will need some bolstering with Harvey Dahl and Scott Wells facing uncertain futures. Jackson is a 340 lb. monster who was named to the All-SEC first team.

Round 3: Craig Loston, S, LSU (Previous Selection: Denzel Perryman)
    I still like Loston – I just think we can gethim a round later than I originally projected. Denzel Perryman, my prior pick, should be gone by this point, and I’m not ready to commit a second round pick to a LB. With Loston and T.J. McDonald, the Rams would have a pair of young, athletic safeties who can really hit.

Round 4: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois (Prior Selection: Danny Shelton)
    Since my first mock, Shelton has decided to return for his Senior year, while Garoppolo has climbed the ranks. In the end, a fourth round pick might not get Garoppolo, but if it would, I think he’d be a great choice. While Kellen Clemens has done a serviceable job, the Rams need to develop a younger QB behind Sam Bradford.

Round 5: Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State (Prior Selection: Antonio Andrews)
    The Rams need a two-down, run stopping OLB with some size. Bullough, who, in many ways, is a James Laurinaitis clone, fits that description well (yes, I know heplayed in the middle at MSU, but I have little doubt he would fit at SLB). Bullough should still be available at thispoint in the draft because he will likely not have eye-popping workout numbers. Never mind that…he’s a football player, and a very good one.

Round 6: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (Prior Selection: Jimmy Garoppolo)
    Though I expect that the Rams will keep Kendall Langford for another year, I think depth at the DT spot could be better. Coleman has had a productive year, including 40 tackles, 9 TFLs and 2.5 sacks. A solid depth/rotation prospect.

Round 7: Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky (Prior Selection: Ryan Groy)
    With the final pick, I’m taking a flyer on an athletically gifted prospect with some baggage. He was kicked off of Urban Myer’s Florida team for rule violations before settling in at Western Kentucky over the last two seasons. Hopefully, he’s matured and is ready to live up to his potential.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-23-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Mikey likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 7-Round 2014 Rams Mock (Version 2.0 - Just in time for Christmas!)

That looks incredibly similar to what I was thinking about posting as a mock. I think the only change was in the 5th a RB instead of the LB. I think Ray Ray gets a shot next year and we bring back Dunbarr on the cheap.
    AvengerRam, Rambos and chiguy like this.

I had a RB in Version 1.0, but at this point, I think that Stacy, Cunningham, Pead and Richardson is enough if the run blocking continues to be strong.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I had a RB in Version 1.0, but at this point, I think that Stacy, Cunningham, Pead and Richardson is enough if the run blocking continues to be strong.
    Do you really think Pead will be back next year?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Do you really think Pead will be back next year?
    Sure... at least for training camp. At this point, I'd say he's competing with D-Rich for a job.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I saw that, what I'm thinking is somebody similar to Stacy. Tough north/south runner less like Cunningham and Richardson. I'd love to see Pead get a shot again but I doubt at this point it happens.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I saw that, what I'm thinking is somebody similar to Stacy. Tough north/south runner less like Cunningham and Richardson. I'd love to see Pead get a shot again but I doubt at this point it happens.
    Agreed Richardson and Stacy are very different types, but Cunningham is IMO more of a north/south runner similar to Stacy. Neither one appear as quick as Richardson or Pead, but Pead and D-Rich don't bring much when it comes to moving the pile. Stacy is almost unbelievable at times when it looks like he's been corralled yet somehow he surges for 2 or 3 yards more. Some of his best runs are only 2 to 4 yards, when it looks like there is no way he'll get past the LOS. For sure our O-line has picked up on this, as even when Zac is surrounded by defenders he keeps his feet going and doesn't go down, so our linemen keep pushing on him or on the guys who have a hold of him for a few more yards. Zac has really been fun to watch, and he's only going to get better. It is easy to see why Les Snead referred to him as "a guy we were really jacked on."

Solid draft Av! I'll pinch myself if we get Matthews at #2 or #3. I have a tough time not succumbing to the "hype" that Fisher won't spend a high number one pick on an O-lineman. Another guy I really like is Gabe Jackson. This would fill a need, and Jackson is a bona fide road grader - love to see him in horns. Gabe would likely get Stacy's vote as well.

I hope you are right about Pead, and that he gets another honest shot to compete in camp next year. It will be a shame if he washes out ..

richtree is offline Registered User

The lack of widerecievers is obvious clear....i am sure we are counting are picking up 1 or 2 in free agency ?

Agree?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I prefer a free safety to a CB, in round one, becaue t here are lots of round two types this year at CB, but nothing at FS.

If Dion Bailey or especially Clinton-Dix have great off-seasons, one could be right there on the Rams Radar.

Last year, Vaccaro went 15th, and that's where the first safty could be going this time around.

I see Matthews as a lock, whether at 2 or 3, depending on the Redskisn final game, or after a trade down to 4th or 5th with Cleveland the probable trade partner. Matthews theo one OT in this draft you could plug in anywhere, except center right from t he get go and get a veteran type performance.

My dream is for the Rams to end up with pick 5, 12, and 25 after a Cleveland deal, and get Matthews, Mike Evans and Clinton Dix in round one, and then a guard or big CB in round two.

Evans is the only WR I would take as high as 12th for this team. he is the really big guy the Rams are missing at WR. With what Bailey is showing, and Quick getting better, and Givens still not one to give up on, and Pettis a solid guy, I don't take just another average sized speed guy t hat would add nothing.

The Rams need a guy that can keep a drive alive on third and five, against Seattle or SF, even against tight coverage, not another speedy deep threat. Evans is special, and would be great fit.

Then I would look QB, G, OT, OLB, DT after that.

This is going to be the most fun draft maybe ever, knowing that Snead won't hesitate to deal, and that 12th overall could really be one where he gets an extra 2 for a deal down, especially if a good QB or top pass rusher is still on the board.
    Rambos, MauiRam and SWFCRAM like this.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    The lack of widerecievers is obvious clear....i am sure we are counting are picking up 1 or 2 in free agency ?

Agree?
    Not necessarily. I think that there are bigger priorities.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I prefer a free safety to a CB, in round one, becaue t here are lots of round two types this year at CB, but nothing at FS.

If Dion Bailey or especially Clinton-Dix have great off-seasons, one could be right there on the Rams Radar.

Last year, Vaccaro went 15th, and that's where the first safty could be going this time around.

I see Matthews as a lock, whether at 2 or 3, depending on the Redskisn final game, or after a trade down to 4th or 5th with Cleveland the probable trade partner. Matthews theo one OT in this draft you could plug in anywhere, except center right from t he get go and get a veteran type performance.

My dream is for the Rams to end up with pick 5, 12, and 25 after a Cleveland deal, and get Matthews, Mike Evans and Clinton Dix in round one, and then a guard or big CB in round two.

Evans is the only WR I would take as high as 12th for this team. he is the really big guy the Rams are missing at WR. With what Bailey is showing, and Quick getting better, and Givens still not one to give up on, and Pettis a solid guy, I don't take just another average sized speed guy t hat would add nothing.

The Rams need a guy that can keep a drive alive on third and five, against Seattle or SF, even against tight coverage, not another speedy deep threat. Evans is special, and would be great fit.

This is going to be the most fun draft maybe ever, knowing that Snead won't hesitate to deal, and that 12th overall could really be one where he gets an extra 2 for a deal down, especially if a good QB or top pass rusher is still on the board.
    agree with everything you said.

I'm also intrigued by Evans. He seems to really know how to use his size to his advantage.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Great mock, I could definitely see the Rams drafting Matthews if they're unable to trade down from the 2nd pick, especially with Jake Long recovering and all the FA's on our line. I'd actually prefer a Safety to a CB with our second 1st rounder, but I'm not completely sold on Clinton-Dix and there's no other Safety prospect that I can see us taking that high; plus from what I hear that Gilbert kid is pretty good and would give us good depth at CB. Haven't seen Gabe Jackson play much this year, but I heard he's a monster in the run game. Last year I was disappointed that the Rams didn't draft Larry Warford, hopefully this year they can make up for it and finally grab themselves that road-grading OG I've always wanted
    AvengerRam likes this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post

This would be ideal. It would take a lot for a scenario this perfect to happen but if it did, then it could go down as the best first round for a team in draft history.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Agree?
    I'd think that the only way the Rams choose a WR is if he's one of the bigger ones and at the top of the class (Evans, Watkins). Otherwise, we'll see a lot of picks on the o-line and defensive secondary. We don't need WR depth, we need a #1.
    AvengerRam, Nick and Richbert88 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast