Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Av's 7-Round 2014 Rams Mock (Version 2.0 - Just in time for Christmas!)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Av's 7-Round 2014 Rams Mock (Version 2.0 - Just in time for Christmas!)

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    I'd think that the only way the Rams choose a WR is if he's one of the bigger ones and at the top of the class (Evans, Watkins). Otherwise, we'll see a lot of picks on the o-line and defensive secondary. We don't need WR depth, we need a #1.
    Agreed.

When I mapped out this mock, I felt like the two WRs you listed (who are my top 2 as well) are not at the level that would merit the No. 2 pick, but will probably be gone when the Rams make their second selection. If the Rams do trade down, though, they could be very enticing targets.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm also intrigued by Evans. He seems to really know how to use his size to his advantage.
    If I could be so bold, I'd say Evans is a big reason that Manziel got a free trip to New York a few weeks ago.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Agreed.

When I mapped out this mock, I felt like the two WRs you listed (who are my top 2 as well) are not at the level that would merit the No. 2 pick, but will probably be gone when the Rams make their second selection. If the Rams do trade down, though, they could be very enticing targets.
    I have a mock where we move back far enough where the value is right to land Evans and get a bounty of picks. I like Jake and think he will be a day one stud but I also think there are other OT in the draft that Boudreau can get to play at a high level.

I like Tree at 22 but I love Tree at 30 along with Bailey and Stacy much better.

I like Jake but I would love Evans and a few other studs much better.

Can't ask for much else from a mock......

#1 OT
    #1 CB
    #2, if not #1 OG
    a potenial small school diamond QB
    a thumping SLB that can get in the backfield

My only question......can Loston and McDonald be on the field at the same time?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I don't disagree with the notion that a trade might be the best option. I just don't, as a rule, project trades in my mock.

I could easily get on board with the idea of a trade that would allow the Rams to take an OT other than Mattthews (i.e. Lewan, Kouandjio, Erving) AND also get Evans or Watkins. That can only happen, though, if the Browns (the only other team with two first rounders) are in the dealing mood.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I have a mock where we move back far enough where the value is right to land Evans and get a bounty of picks. I like Jake and think he will be a day one stud but I also think there are other OT in the draft that Boudreau can get to play at a high level.

I like Tree at 22 but I love Tree at 30 along with Bailey and Stacy much better.

I like Jake but I would love Evans and a few other studs much better.
    Your points are exactly what I'm thinking. First, the OT situation is very murky now due to the Jake Long injury intruding into next year, the FA status of Rodger Saffold and the emergence of Joe Barksdale on the right side. I like Jake Mathews, but know that he's a pure pass blocker a more well rounded run blocker may suit our system a bit more. Plus if you draft an OT within the top 5, do you sit him with the others playing? Big question that will sort itself out after the combine and FA.

I also like your point about a "bounty of picks" because I don't think at this point there are too many sure-fire stars in this draft. It will take good scouting and evaluation to get the players that fit your schemes.

Lastly, I think this off-season will be a bit different than the past two. Namely, there will be more emphasis on winning now, because next season there are going to be higher expectations such as the playoffs. I'm not advocating abandoning our youth movement, but we will want players who are ready to deliver NOW. Of course you want to add to your depth to account for injuries, but next year will be a year for this management team to show some dividends from the investments made in young players.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

My only question......can Loston and McDonald be on the field at the same time?
    Neither is a classic FS, but I think they both have pretty good range.

When I look at our DB issues, I don't see a big problem with our backs getting beat deep. Rather, I think the biggest problem has been teams picking us apart due to soft coverage. I like the idea of some bigger DBs (i.e. Gilbert, Loston) who can help battle the quick drop passing game. With our pass rush, our DBs don't need to shut down opposing receivers. They only need to slow them down.

Neither is a classic FS, but I think they both have pretty good range.

When I look at our DB issues, I don't see a big problem with our backs getting beat deep. Rather, I think the biggest problem has been teams picking us apart due to soft coverage. I like the idea of some bigger DBs (i.e. Gilbert, Loston) who can help battle the quick drop passing game. With our pass rush, our DBs don't need to shut down opposing receivers. They only need to slow them down.
    That's certainly a good point. Quinn/Long/Brockers could do as much to defend the deep passing as a ballhawk FS. If the QB doesn't have time to wait for the WR to get deep downfield, then it will be rather difficult to get beat deep.

Looks like one of my picks - Max Bullough - won't be playing in the Rose Bowl due to a suspension for violation of unspecified team rules.

Sigh.

These kids just don't get how rare their opportunities are, and how easy it is to lose them.

Still like him as a player and, hopefully, this will be a somewhat painful lesson for him.

Tampa_Ram is online now Registered User

I like this draft, it's really good especially with no trades in it.

Only player i'm not a fan of personally is Loston, but i didn't like LSU's Reid last year, and was totally wrong on him so who knows.

Loston does have good size and a few int's, do you know why he missed 4 games this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I like this draft, it's really good especially with no trades in it.

Only player i'm not a fan of personally is Loston, but i didn't like LSU's Reid last year, and was totally wrong on him so who knows.

Loston does have good size and a few int's, do you know why he missed 4 games this season?
    He's had some bumps and bruises (unspecified leg injury, primarily) that has kept him out of the lineup. Seems as thought they've held him out of some "gimme" games (UAB, Kent State, Furman), but he's had some good performances against top teams, including 8 tackles and an interception against Auburn and 7 tackles and an interception against Texas A&M.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'm sure this comes as no suprise, but I'd be both shocked and dissappointed if the Rams chose any O-lineman with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

Though I haven't looked it up, I am willing to bet that there are far more Hall of Fame lineman drafted outside the 1st round than the other way around. Which says to me, that unless your O-line is in dire straits and/or there are absolutely no good prospects later in the draft, you don't waste a top 5 pick on an O-lineman.

I am not saying that for certain teams in certain situations an o-lineman is not the right pick, but I am saying we are not one of those teams at present IMO.

Maybe that changes once we get into the offseason and free agency, and we start sorting things out, but for now, I am not a fan of a top 5 O-lineman.

I do like the idea of a number one receiver with our 2nd number 1 pick, with Evans and Watkins being the obvious choices, but I also like Kelvin Benjamin from Florida St. should he make himself available for the draft.

But obviously the trade down scenario will always trump drafting any one player in my mind.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Tampa_Ram is online now Registered User

He's had some bumps and bruises (unspecified leg injury, primarily) that has kept him out of the lineup. Seems as thought they've held him out of some "gimme" games (UAB, Kent State, Furman), but he's had some good performances against top teams, including 8 tackles and an interception against Auburn and 7 tackles and an interception against Texas A&M.
    Thanks for the info. Still not my favorite choice or top 3, but you have made a good case for him and glad to understand more on him.
    AvengerRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Though I haven't looked it up, I am willing to bet that there are far more Hall of Fame lineman drafted outside the 1st round than the other way around. Which says to me, that unless your O-line is in dire straits and/or there are absolutely no good prospects later in the draft, you don't waste a top 5 pick on an O-lineman.
    I think you have to look at OTs differently from OGs and Cs in this regard. While there are many top interior linemen taken outside the first round, most of the top OTs in recent years have been first rounders, often high first rounders.

You also have to consider how different things are today given the rookie scale. A guy like Jake Matthews, even if selected in the Top 5, will cost the same, if not less, than a second-tier FA OT.

I do like the idea of a number one receiver with our 2nd number 1 pick, with Evans and Watkins being the obvious choices, but I also like Kelvin Benjamin from Florida St. should he make himself available for the draft.
    Benjamin is intriguing. He has the kind of size/speed combination that most teams covet. I do think that he is limited in terms of route-running at this point. The question will ultimately be... is he the next Demaryius Thomas, or Stephen Hill?

But obviously the trade down scenario will always trump drafting any one player in my mind.
    No disagreement. I can certainly imagine a trade scenario that would blow up this mock. One possibility that should not be discounted, though, is that the Rams might consider making a selection with the Redskins' pick, and then trading down with their own. They could probably move back about 10 spots and pick up an extra 2nd round pick.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Coming from an Aggie who has watched every single A&M game this season, I'm not sure what I think about Evans. On one hand, he is a physical freak of nature with great size and toughness and jumping skills. On the other hand, you have a receiver who has only been playing football for a few years, has shown inconsistent hands at points, and also gets shut out of some games when he shouldn't.

Evans would definitely brings a cocky, assertive, confident presence into the locker room though that's for sure. I might actually prefer Sammy Watkins. He doesn't have as much rare size and physicality, but he's more polished, faster, better hands, better route running and agility, and could be plugged in one from Day One.

As for Matthews, I think this guy is the most well-rounded OT to come out in the past couple of years. I definitely think he is better than Joeckel after watching them both play, and I think he compares favorably to Matt Kalil. (Not sure how Kalil and Eric Fisher have played so far in the NFL).

The question arises when if we do trade down to let's say the 5th pick, is Matthews THAT coveted that it may lead another team to trade in front of us and grab him? I'm not sure what I think of Taylor Lewan at #5. But then you have to ask yourself, does Matthews > Lewan + Another 1st round draft pick?

And it hurts me to say this, but I would love to pick up A.J McCarron. The guy comes from a football program that has been a powerhouse the past several years and he knows how to win football games.
    Randart likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast