AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's 7-Round Rams Mock Draft (Version 2.0)

With the Combine winding down, its time for an update:

Round 1: Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    (Previous pick: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama)
    Jones is still the guy I want, but I think there is now a better than 50% chance he'll be gone before the Rams make their selection. Jordan will be a good addition for the Rams. He really showed his ability at the Senior Bowl, and backed that up with a strong Combine showing (4.78 40 at 287 lbs.).

Round 2: Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    (Previous Pick: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma)
    After missing out on Jones and A.J. Green at pick #14, the Rams will need to turn to the WR corps in Round 2. The guy I'd love to see here (UM alum bias) is Leonard Hankerson. Unfortunately, I think he'll be gone before the Rams make their pick. Smith will be a fine consolation prize, though. He has the size (6'1, 205) and speed (4.43) to be a top end WR.

Round 3: Jordan Todman, RB, UConn
    (Previous Pick: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada)
    I think Todman is exactly what the Rams need. He can be a home-run hitter type (4.40), but also has demonstrated the ability to carry a big load if needed. With a number of RBs having good Combine workouts, there's a good chance Todman will be there when the Rams make their third pick.

Round 4: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
    (Previous Pick: Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh)
    I had Moffitt as the Rams' fifth round pick in my initial mock. After a strong Senior Bowl week, I think the Rams may need to grab him in Round 4. I see him as a potential Day 1 starter.

Round 5: Doug Hogue, OLB, Syracuse
    (Previous Pick: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin)
    Part of me hates to leave the LB spot for this late in the draft, but you simply can't fill all the needs with high draft choices. Hogue is a WLB only. He had a productive college career and has good speed, something the Rams need at the OLB spot.

Round 6: Jermale Hines, S, Ohio State
    (Previous Pick: same)
    Still like Hines at this spot. Has the size to be a real thumper at SS. Hopefully the Rams won't also have to fill the FS spot.

Round 7: Charles Clay, TE/FB, Tulsa
    (Previous Pick: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama)
    Let me start off by saying that I'm not sure Clay will be available at the end of the draft. If he is, though, I like his potential as a FB/TE hybrid. He is a great receiver out of the backfield, and could be put to very good use by Josh McDaniels
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's 7-Round Rams Mock Draft (Version 2.0)

I wouldnt say no to this lot come draft day, you never know, we could make a trade on draft day to snag JJ?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -03-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I wouldnt say no to this lot come draft day, you never know, we could make a trade on draft day to snag JJ?
    As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of trading up. Generally, the cost and risk (after all, no prospect is a sure thing) is too great.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I like Cameron Jordan, but I kind of feel the same way about him as I do about Jones. Any player that comes into the off-season with some buzz and then impresses people (Jones at the Combine, Jordan at the Senior Bowl) is going to be popping up on other teams' radar. I don't necessarily think that it's more likely that Jordan will be there at #14 than Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I like Cameron Jordan, but I kind of feel the same way about him as I do about Jones. Any player that comes into the off-season with some buzz and then impresses people (Jones at the Combine, Jordan at the Senior Bowl) is going to be popping up on other teams' radar. I don't necessarily think that it's more likely that Jordan will be there at #14 than Jones.
    The advantage, from the Rams' standpoint, to Jordan is that there are two players at his position (Bowers, Quinn), who will almost certainly go before him, and three others (Smith, Kerrigan, Watt) who might.

Make no mistake, though... if Jones and Jordan are both there, I'd take Jones in a heartbeat.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

This is a good and plausible mock. A few questions though:

1.) Do you prefer Cameron Jordan over Aldon Smith? If Smith was there at #14 would you take him over Jordan?

2.) You have Moffitt going to the Rams in the 4th round yet you say we may need to grab him in the 3rd. Do you think the Rams should trade up for him?

3.) If both Torry Smith and Leonard Hankerson are gone by time we pick in the 2nd would you consider an OLB like Bruce Carter or Mason Foster?

4.) Do you currently have Jordan Todman over Demarco Murray? Would you take Murray if Todman is gone?

WHAT SAY YE?

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Jordan is a great player. He is a good sack artist. I love the Chris Long-Cam Jordan combo may draw some similarities to the Strahan-Osi combo from spags SB season.

As far as Smith goes i'd say NO. I think he will get lost in the Rams WR depth. I see him as a guy that will soley run the deep post and go routes. We have Donnie Avery and we have Alexander for that. I do not like how raw he is at catching a foorball and uses his body too often to try to secure the ball. Bradford is a guy that has nice zip and throws the ball hard Hankerson would be nice with his huge hands (but you may be right he will be gone). I just dont like Smith as a fit for us. We have plenty of solid WRs that have speed we need someone that knows how find soft spots in zone coverage and someone someone with good size (6-1 205 is merely above average)

Todman would be a good change of pace back for S-jax. But i would perfer a better more experienced pass catcher out of the backfield.

Moffit is good (you might want to edit it u took him in the 4th and said 3rd in the analysis)

Hogue is a good pick. He can really be used as an asset vs. teams with fast TEs and RBs.

Honestly i like the depth we have at safety in Dahl. However if your thinking of cutting Butler and starting Dahl hines can be a quality back-up and potentially become a good complement to good deep zone FS (like Atogwe) because he is comfortable at getting close to line and is a good tackler.

if available Clay would be a good pick as well

All in all you id a good job of drafting for value something Billy D and Spags are good at. I do not see any huge reach.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    This is a good and plausible mock. A few questions though:

1.) Do you prefer Cameron Jordan over Aldon Smith? If Smith was there at #14 would you take him over Jordan?
    Good question. I have three players, Jordan, Smith and Kerrigan, ranked very close to one another. I'd take any of them at #14.

2.) You have Moffitt going to the Rams in the 4th round yet you say we may need to grab him in the 3rd. Do you think the Rams should trade up for him?
    No, that's a typo. I think he should be there in Round 4.

3.) If both Torry Smith and Leonard Hankerson are gone by time we pick in the 2nd would you consider an OLB like Bruce Carter or Mason Foster?
    Carter would be intriguing, as he is a first round talent, in my book. However, I really don't think the Rams can afford to NOT take a WR in Rounds 1 or 2 given that there will likely be no FA before the draft. That said, beyond those two (and perhaps Baldwin), there are not a lot of great options for a Round 2 WR, so I might turn to TE if Kyle Rudolf were still there.

4.) Do you currently have Jordan Todman over Demarco Murray? Would you take Murray if Todman is gone?
    Yes, and yes.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm intrigued by Jordan in the first. I think he's a guy that's going to appeal to a number of teams because of his ability to fill the five-technique role in a three man front. But he could also play on the edge in a 4-3. I really think he could go in the Top 10-12. But if Julio isn't there, and Cameron is, he'd have to be considered.

I'm not a huge fan of Smith, personally. But he certainly fills a need. The Rams' problem is, while there isn't a receiver after Green and Jones worth of the 14th pick, there are 3-4 that could be selected before the Rams' second round pick rolls around (Smith, Hankerson, Baldwin). If the Rams miss out on Jones, and there's a run of receivers in the late first or early second, it could be a rough day.

Personally, I'd switch Toddman and Moffitt value-wise but you're higher on Toddman than I am. Continuing to address offensive needs is fine by me.

Hogue is a solid mid-round linebacker who could find a way to contribute on this team. Like you, waiting until round five to address OLB leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but you can only fill so many spots.

Hines and Clay are solid depth picks.

Well done!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

No major problems with any of this, but I am a little wary of Jordan playing RE in a 4-3. IMO Chris Long is locked in at LE which would be Jordans best position in a 4-3. Jordan played 3-4 DE in college and we already know how Long struggled early on moving from 3-4 DE to 4-3 Right End. They have similar combine numbers, both played in the 3-4 in college, both of their fathers were pro bowlers, similar size, and Long had better stats. I'm not saying he is bad player, but I don't think he will be a great fit at RE in a 4-3 just like Long wasn't. If I had a choice between Aldon Smith and Jordan I would take smith because he is a more explosive pass rusher, more upside, and is a better fit a RE.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I think it's a good draft. It is well thought through.

I may like a couple guys better than Todman, but it's any mans guess. You've laid a nice framework.

Jordan will be a beast, IMO he is a safer prospect than Quinn or Bowers.

richtree is offline Registered User

Pretty awesome...I personally think T.Smith would fall to our pick in round 2. If all four WR are gone, then what>>>?????

I pretty much agree with AV (for once) on this draft. I rather Locke than Moffit. I still would go Will Hill if we get a gift in him slipping to Round 4.

An added Will Hill Note!!! -- Hill lead Florida in special teams tackles as sophomore and junior.

PS- If Dontay Moch slips in the draft in would be very hard to pass over him and his speed.

thoey is offline Registered User

PS- If Dontay Moch slips in the draft in would be very hard to pass over him and his speed.
    Watched a bunch of U of N games this year and I like this kid. Hope he does well, would love to see him in horns.
    This space for rent...