Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's "Desirable Dozen" (FAs the Rams should target)

Assuming there is a FA period, this is my list of the top 12 players the Rams should target.

This is not a mere list of the best FAs available on the market. Rather, I considered factors such as (1) price/value, (2) need, (3) compatibility with the Rams' system, (4) age and (5) character issues.

With those factors in mind, here is my "Desirable Dozen":

1. Sidney Rice, WR, Minnesota Vikings
    Rice is exactly what the Rams need. A young, tall, fast WR who has demonstrated the ability to be a “Number 1” guy. Though durability is a valid concern, I’d take a chance on Rice’s ability to elevate Sam Bradford’s game.

2. Logan Mankins, OG, New England Patriots
    There are not a lot of OGs in the league who could be regarded as “impact players.” Mankins is one of the few. He would, no doubt, have a hefty price tag, and I have my doubts that the Rams would invest in another high-priced OL. That said, his connection to Josh McDaniels provides a glimmer of hope.

3. Vincent Jackson, WR, San Diego Chargers
    Jackson is not without his baggage. The Rams could look at his DUIs and holdout and deem him too far outside the “Four Pillars” to consider him. However, if the Front Office concludes his character is redeemable, there is no questioning his rare combination of size, speed and productivity.

4. Barry Coefield, DT, New York Giants
    I think Coefield would seamlessly provide an upgrade at DT. He is very familiar with Steve Spagnuolo’s system, and he has many good years ahead of him. I’m sure he’d feel comfortable lining up next to Fred Robbins.

5. Chad Greenway, OLB, Minnesota Vikings
    Greenway is another player who just fits. The Rams need more talent at the OLB spot, and Greenway is an every-down player who I believe would work very well with James Laurinaitis.

6. Matthias Kiwanuka, DE, New York Giants
    Another former Spags protégé, Kiwanuka would provide the Rams with a situational pass rusher in the short run, and a possible replacement for James Hall in the long run. I think his price tag will be somewhat reasonable as FA DEs go.

7. Mike Sims-Walker, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars
    I see a lot of Brandon Lloyd in Mike Sims-Walker. He is a big, tall WR with a nose for the end zone. I think Josh McDaniels and Sam Bradford could elevate him to the next level.

8. Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jacksonville Jaguars
    I don’t view TE as a major need position, but I’d make an exception for Lewis. He would be an instant go-to guy for Bradford and, paired with Michael Hoomanwanui, could give the Rams one of the best 1-2 punches at the position in the NFL.

9. Malcom Floyd, WR, San Diego Chargers
    Another big WR from the Chargers system, Floyd is not quite a number 1 guy, but he would be an upgrade for the Rams. His age makes him somewhat less desirable than the other WRs listed.

10. James Anderson, OLB, Carolina Panthers
    Anderson is a pure WLB, something the Rams don’t have. His speed and playmaking ability would be very useful in Spags’ schemes.

11. Quintin Mikell, S, Philadelphia Eagles
    Mikell would be an instant starter at SS next to O.J. Atogwe, and would upgrade the DB overall. The Rams’ defensive scheme would be familiar to him, so the transition would be a smooth one.

12. Davin Joseph, OG, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Joseph could be a guy who slips through the cracks. The Bucs remained productive after Joseph’s injury in the middle of last season. As a result, they may view him as expendable. For the Rams, he’d be a young, talented, upgrade for Adam Goldberg.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-03-2011 at 07:58 PM.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Av's "Desirable Dozen" (FAs the Rams should target)

Looks good AV-- not a big fan of Malcom Floyd and I guess we are leaving Clayton off this list because he is off injury and played for Rams this season.

Kiwanuka if price is right ..

shower beers is offline Registered User

A concern I have with Sidney Rice is his lack of sustained success. He had a monster year last year, yes. The year before he had only 15 catches, while playing in twice as many games as this year, in which he had 17 catches. There is a lot of circumstance around his situation to be sure, but it's hard to clearly filter out what came from his surroundings (lack of quarterback), his development as a player, etc.

I think if I were a GM I would want to see if his has truly blossomed as a receiver, or if that one year was a "fluke", before shelling out the assumed large sum of money that would be required to bring him in.

Footnote: As richtree surmised, I did not consider the Rams own FAs as eligible for this list.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Is Steve Breaston a free agent (i have read conflicting reports on his status) and if so, Av, why do you exclude him from the list.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

He has knee issues and there is some concern that they might be chronic.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Great list Av. I would love any of those players on the Rams' roster next year. For me best case scenario would be to address OG and WR positions through free agency ex. Mankins and Rice/Jackson and then pick up a DL, OLB and a SS in the early rounds in the draft. Next year we have a much tougher schedule and we need to be ready for war with some depth at most positions.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll just say......yes, please.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I like Justin Blalock. I think you should have put him on there rather than Davin Joseph. Theres a pretty good chance that we get some of these guys. I sure hope we make a hard effort going after Cofield, Kiwi, James Anderson and Justin Blalock or Davin Joseph. Come to think about it, we seriously gotta get that OG position solved. WR too, but I feel like we will get that fixed with Julio.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As you stated, Rice, Jackson, and Mankins will all be top tier money. So how with top tier money already spent at QB, RB, and RT, how much room is there left? I'm just guesstimating, but I bet there's room for 1 surely, maybe 2.

On the defensive side of the ball, lots of choices that may not be all-pro names, but could fit this system like a glove. Greenway, Mikel, Anderson, Cofield, Kiwi.....I'd love to have 1 or 2 of those as well.

I could see Spags making a push for Cofield & Kiwi so I wouldn't be surprised to see either or both, and maybe McD gets his big receiver before the draft with Jackson or Rice, but Uncle Stan's checkbook will have to come into play there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Give me any 2 or 3 on that list honestly.

I really like

Kiwanuka
    Greenway
    and Sims-Walker specifically

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I like Justin Blalock. I think you should have put him on there rather than Davin Joseph.
    I don't have a problem with that. It was a toss-up between the two.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I wonder if your from Florida

Anyway I know Santonio Holmes has his baggage, but he is one of the most clutch receivers in the NFL. With that said he probably isn't leaving the jets, but you never know so he would definitely be on my list before Malcolm Floyd imo if we signed him it would just be Bennett 2.0.

Anderson plays SLB, but i'm sure he could play WLB

If we could bring in Mikes Sims-Walker, Cofield, and a vet nickel back I would be really pumped about FA

On a side note unless we cut someone I just can't see us spending top dollar on our O-line again. Bell, Brown, and Smith 30+ million dollars and some the highest paid players at their position. Saffold is looking like our franchise LT he is going to make 30+ mil at some point so 4 potentially 5 guys making 30 million or more I just dont see it. What I do see happening is resigning Golberberg and drafting a guy between rounds 2-5.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

What about Ray Edwards? I know he was a hot commodity last year, but was not an available free agent due to his years of expereince

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Anderson plays SLB, but i'm sure he could play WLB
    He did play WLB when Na'il Diggs was still on the Panthers. I think that is his more natural position.

On a side note unless we cut someone I just can't see us spending top dollar on our O-line again. Bell, Brown, and Smith 30+ million dollars and some the highest paid players at their position. Saffold is looking like our franchise LT he is going to make 30+ mil at some point so 4 potentially 5 guys making 30 million or more I just dont see it. What I do see happening is resigning Golberberg and drafting a guy between rounds 2-5.
    I too doubt that the Rams would invest in a high-priced FA OL, though I think it is at least possible they would make an exception for a player like Mankins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast