Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Av's Early 2014 FA Wish List

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Early 2014 FA Wish List

Here is my current list of the top 10 free agent prospects for the Rams.

The factors I considered are (1) the Rams' needs, (2) the quality of the players, (3) age, and (4) anticipated price tag.

I did not factor in the likelihood of players hitting the open market. I recognize that many of the players on my list will likely be re-signed by their current team before the FA market opens. But, assuming that they all hit the market, here is my wish list:

1. Jimmy Graham, TE, New Orleans (27)
    If the Saints were to be unwilling or unable to re-sign Graham, I think that pretty much any team in the league would love to have him. He is one of the top mismatches in the league, and would make the job of any QB that much easier. So, if we're going to dream...

2. Alex Mack, C, Cleveland (28)
    Okay, here's a more realistic prospect. Mack is one of the top centers in the league, and would be a great long-term replacement for Scott Wells. Plus, center is not the most expensive position in the league.

3. Malcolm Jenkins, S, New Orleans (25)
    Jenkins is one of the better up-and-coming FSs in the league. With the Saints focusing on signing Graham, perhaps he could become available. Given his age, he is a player who is likely to provide value throughout his next contract.

4. Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo (27)
    I'm aware that Byrd is among the most popular choices for Rams fans, but I have some misgivings. While he has played fairly well in limited action this year, he has had some injuries. Also, all signs point to Byrd seeking a break-the-bank deal. Still, if the Rams could work out a reasonable deal with him, he'd be a huge upgrade.

5. Sam Shields, CB, Green Bay (25)
    A proven CB who is only 25? Yes, please. In under four years, Shields has 11 interceptions and 39 passes defended. I'd love to shift some of Cortland Finnegan's money to a younger guy like Shields, particularly given the lack of any clearly elite CBs in the coming draft.

6. Lamarr Houston, DT/DE, Oakland (26)
    Houston is currently playing DE in the Raiders' 3-4 set, but he absolutely has the size (300 lbs) to play DT in the Rams' system. He is a guy who consistently gets pressure on opposing QBs, and would thrive playing with Long, Quinn and Brockers.

7. Nate Allen, S, Philadelphia (26)
    Another young safety to consider. Allen is more of a SS type, and is similar to T.J. McDonald. I think he'd be an upgrade, though, and the Rams really need a big influx of talent in the defensive backfield.

8. Eugene Monroe, OT, Baltimore (26)
    Monroe has been a solid pro since the Rams passed on him to take Jason Smith. If the Rams have a top 5 pick in the draft, I'd probably prefer to target Jake Matthews. However, if the Rams are reluctant to take an OT that early, Monroe could be a very good option.

9. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Denver (27)
    DRC is an interesting prospect. In the short run, he'd be an upgrade at the CB position. In the long run, he has the size (6'2, 193) to move over to the FS spot (much as Aeneas Williams did). Of course, this is DRC's last big payday, and he may want it to be a BIG PAYDAY.

10. Henry Melton, DT, Chicago (27)
    Melton tore his ACL in September. Had he not, he'd likely be one of the biggest prizes in the 2014 FA market. Now, the question is... could he be one of the biggest bargains? It would be a gamble to sign him, but if he comes back at 100%, he would give the Rams a DL that would give OCs nightmares.

Honorable Mention: Donte Whitner, S, San Francisco (28) A bit older than I'd like for a DB FA prospect, but I like the idea taking a starter from the Niners.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Early 2014 FA Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Honorable Mention: Donte Whitner, S, San Francisco (28) A bit older than I'd like for a DB FA prospect, but I like the idea taking a starter from the Niners.
    A Dahl for Whitner swap would be too amazing to pass up.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I think Whitner is overrated as they come. He is merely a product of San Fran's front 7 which allows him to be in great to position to "hitner" players. If he actually had to cover he would be exposed instantly .

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great list. I was expecting to see Saffold on the list, but then again you may want him to walk. I know, we want him him, but at the right price, I agree. I like the way you ended the Jimmy Graham write-up...dream, is exactly what teams will have to do. If the Saints let him walk, the Aint's paper bags will resurface. Is Malcolm Jenkins any good? Because it's likely he gets overpaid, like most FA's.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -12-04-2013 at 07:37 PM.

The list was compiled from non-Rams who are set for UFA.

Randart is offline Registered User

Some intriguing options AvR to be sure, I believe Graham has a history with our beloved Slingin' Sammy as well! It is a beautiful pipe dream I bet Sam used to have often! LOL

Now as to who we may actually have a chance at out of your choices my quesses are, options numbered:
    2, 4, 5, 6 & 10. Why these guys as opposed to the others? They seem to be the ones that might actually hit the free agent market and might consider a non contender franchise like our beleagured Rams. Yes we all hope to make the playoffs (and I so want to go Jim Mora Sr. here) but reality is we have this long history of not making them to live with atm. So getting these guys seems more plausable than the others on your shopping list. Will be fun to see what Coach Fish and Les can do to reel in some more talent for us!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

All of them would be great pick-ups, but I think the most realistic and cost effective would be to go for lower cost players like Alex Mack and Lamarr Houston. With Mack replacing Wells as our center and if B. Jones were to come back healthy and play at one of the Guard positions, our line would be much improved from this year. Hopefully the Rams would even be able to draft Jake Matthews to give us even more depth and talent up front. With Houston added to our team, the Rams would most likely have the most talented D-line in the NFL. Even though they wouldn't exactly be "fearsome", this foursome would no doubt create nightmares for opposing offensive lines and would be up in the quarterbacks face on almost every dropback.
    Haste and Randart like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

While it would be nice to get a big name FA, I think we'd be better off not signing any huge contracts as we'll need to pay our core players once their rookie contracts are up.

But since we're playing drool and dream here, I would like to go after Sam Shields to replace Finny.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    While it would be nice to get a big name FA, I think we'd be better off not signing any huge contracts as we'll need to pay our core players once their rookie contracts are up.

But since we're playing drool and dream here, I would like to go after Sam Shields to replace Finny.
    Agreed. That would be a great pick up, that and a moderately priced S to help the depth there and teach the youngsters we have the game. I still miss Mikell.

Graham is a pipe dream - even if was available (and at worst he'd be franchised) we couldn't afford him. So agreed, nice to dream, but not going to happen.

The question is what we are going to do with our high priced FAs, and whether Bradford will renegotiate his contract. As much as I like Bradford, I'd be OK with him going if he maintains a $17 million price tag this year. $10-12 is about right.

Wells is OK, and his contract isn't prohibitive, but he's not a crucial component. Then you get Saffold and Dahl - I'd be OK letting Dahl go and paying Saffold decent money. Unless he demands LT money, which he's shown he can't play at a high level.

And Finnegan - no way. He wasn't worth $10 million last year, this year he should have been paying the Rams.

LOTS of moving parts in the offseason. I'll be curious to see how Snead navigates it.

I think age is a major factor when it comes to FA signings. When we signed Finnegan, he was 28. That's a little bit older than ideal for a CB signing.

My general rule of thumb for the maximum age of a long-term (at least 4 years) FA signing is as follows:

QB, OL: 30
    TE, DE, DT, S: 28
    RB, WR, LB, CB: 26
    Vinnie25 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Some intriguing options AvR to be sure, I believe Graham has a history with our beloved Slingin' Sammy as well! It is a beautiful pipe dream I bet Sam used to have often! LOL
    I think you are confusing Jermaine Gresham with Jimmy Graham. Gresham was a Sooner with Sam, while Graham comes from The U (Miami). Nonetheless, it would be a great scenario to have Graham in the Lou.

Go Rams!
    Randart likes this.

emuen is offline Registered User

How do you see Jimmy Graham fit in on a team, which already has a lot of money invested in Jared Cook?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    How do you see Jimmy Graham fit in on a team, which already has a lot of money invested in Jared Cook?

In the end zone.
    AvengerRam, HUbison and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emuen View Post
    First of all, Graham is a true elite player, so your question is kind of like asking "what would Adrian Peterson's role be on a team that already has Zac Stacy?"

But, from a practical standpoint, Graham would probably line up on the outside quite a bit (as he does in New Orleans), while Cook is used more as a slot receiver.

emuen is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    First of all, Graham is a true elite player, so your question is kind of like asking "what would Adrian Peterson's role be on a team that already has Zac Stacy?"

But, from a practical standpoint, Graham would probably line up on the outside quite a bit (as he does in New Orleans), while Cook is used more as a slot receiver.
    Would you pick up Adrian Peterson instead of Zac Stacy, if he was a FA this season? Knowing you would have to pay him a 100 million dollar contract? Again I didn't ask what his role would be. I asked how he would fit on the team.

So you are suggesting picking Jimmy Graham up and playing him as an outside WR? So he would be a fix for the WR position, not the TE position?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast