Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's FINAL 2012 Rams Draft Board (*UPDATED* - Top 50 Prospects!)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's FINAL 2012 Rams Draft Board (*UPDATED* - Top 50 Prospects!)

With 30 days left before the draft, it is time for my final (barring a major injury or off-the-field incident) draft board.

First, a few words about some players who are not on the board. Of course, I've left off my board players who, though fine prospects, play positions that the Rams don't need to fill with a premium selection (i.e. Andrew Luck, Quinton Coples, Luke Kuechly, Peter Konz), don't fit the Rams' system (i.e. Courtney Upshaw, Melvin Ingram), have injury red flags (i.e. Ryan Broyles, Mark Barron) or have off-the-field/character/effort concerns (i.e. Alshon Jeffrey, Janoris Jenkins).

With these caveats in mind, here are my Top 50 2012 Draft Prospects for the Rams (Note: the Rams will have a chance to draft at least 3, if not 4, of these players):

EDIT: I've added an asterisk next to the prospects who are reportedly scheduled for pre-draft visits with the Rams.

Top 10

1. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State*
    Blackmon has held the top spot on my board throughout the offseason. Watching him play over the last two years, I believe he is an elite WR prospect. Having him in the lineup would make a huge difference for Sam Bradford, who has never had a top WR to throw to with the Rams.

2. Matt Kalil, OT, USC*
    I believe that Rodger Saffold can have a successful career at LT. As a result, Kalil would be somewhat of a luxury. Nonetheless, I think he is a potentially dominant player at his position, and I'd have no problem moving Saffold to RT to make room for Kalil.

3. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU*
    With all the "Honey Badger" hype last year, the player who really stood out for me on LSU's defense last year was Claiborne. While the term "shut-down CB" may be unrealistic, he has the potential to make the top WRs in the NFL work hard for every reception. Pair him with Cortland Finnegan, and the Rams' defense would have a real area of strength.

4. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama*
    Some people react to the concept of taking Richardson by saying "how can you take a player with the sixth pick who will split time with your best player?" I think the better question is, when Steven Jackson is 31-32, and starts showing his age, do you want to watch Richardson lead the league in rushing for another team knowing he could have been a Ram?

5. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
    Here's where it starts getting interesting. If the Rams stay at No. 6, they only a four player draft board to determine who will be their first pick (as Luck and RGIII will obviously be taken 1 and 2). So, from this point forward, the prospects I'm looking at would only be considered if the Rams trade down (or, as we get further down the board, for pick No. 33). With that in mind, I simply asked myself, after the "big 6" (including the QBs) who is the most elite player at a position of need for the Rams? My answer: David DeCastro.

6. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
    In the event of a trade down, a player like Reiff could be a very good option. He would be a great bookend with Saffold, regardless of which player manned the right and left sides. I think he also fits what Fisher and Shottenheimer want to do on offense, given his strong run blocking abilties.

7. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame*
    While Floyd has "a past," he seems to have handled himself well in the pre-draft beauty pageant. From a physical standpoint, he is among the most gifted prospects in this draft. If the Rams do trade down, he could be a key target for a mid-first round pick.

8. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis*
    From a measurables standpoint, Poe is off the chart. A guy as big as he is should be a lot slower. The knock on him is that he did not play up to his ability in college against mediocre competition. Taking him would be a calculated risk. For what its worth, the only coach who ever got the best out of Albert Haynesworth was Jeff Fisher.

9. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi*
    While there could be some redundancy between Cox and Kendall Langford, I'd take my changes with a player as talented as the DT from Mississippi State. He is a true disruptive force (12.5 TFL, 4.0 sacks) from the DT spot, which is a rare and valuable commodity.

10. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU*
    Another player whose potential exceeds his performance, Brockers has a very high ceiling. At a minimum, he'd take up a lot of space and help clear a path for Long, Quinn and Laurinaitis to make plays.

The Rest (11-40)

11. Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    12. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama*
    13. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    14. Reuben Randle, WR, LSU*
    15. Kelechi Osemele, OT/OG, Iowa State*
    16. Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina
    17. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
    18. Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (FL)*
    19. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
    20. Cordy Glenn, OT/OG, Georgia

21. Devon Still, DT, Penn State
    22. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
    23. Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State*
    24. Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
    25. Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska
    26. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
    27. Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
    28. David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech
    29. Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
    30. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers

31. Brandon Washington, OG, Miami (FL)
    32. Chis Polk, RB, Washington
    33. Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami (FL)
    34. Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest*
    35. Sean Spence, OLB, Miami (FL)*
    36. Josh Robinson, CB, Central Florida
    37. Almeda Ta'amu, DT, Washington*
    38. Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
    39. Bobby Wagner, OLB, Utah State*
    40. Mychal Kendricks, OLB, California*

41. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon*
    42. Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State
    43. Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
    44. Kendall Reyes, DT, Connecticutt
    45. Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette*
    46. A.J. Jenkins, WR, Illinois*
    47. Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
    48. Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
    49. Nigel Bradham, OLB, Florida State
    50. Marvin Jones, WR, California

Players considered, but left off the board due to character/conditioning/injury concerns: Alshon Jeffery (WR, South Carolina), Ryan Broyles (WR, Oklahoma), Janoris Jenkins (CB, Northern Alabama), Mike Adams (OT, Ohio State), Kendall Wright (WR, Baylor) and Bruce Irvin (DE/LB, West Virgina).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.

richtree is offline Registered User

re: Av's FINAL 2012 Rams Draft Board (*UPDATED* - Top 50 Prospects!)

This becomes very hard because once the Rams select a position in round one, say OT, then all of other OT probably come off the board for rankings, or more importantly other positions become more valuable to a point.

PS -- I see that Toon over Sanu

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    This becomes very hard because once the Rams select a position in round one, say OT, then all of other OT probably come off the board for rankings, or more importantly other positions become more valuable to a point.
    That's true, to an extent. If the Rams take Blackmon in Round 1, I'd still consider a WR in Round 2 if he were the highest ranked player on my board. Otherwise, I'd agree with you.
    PS -- I see that Toon over Sanu
    If it makes you feel better, I did upgrade Sanu a bit after his Pro Day performance. Also, when you're talking about the difference between my 31st and 32nd ranked players, you may as well flip a coin, as it is that close.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Nice board AV..

I would still have Kalil one on this board over Blackmon, a line consisting of:

Kalil LT
    Smith G
    Wells C
    Dahl G
    Saffold RT

This would fix the O line IMO I could not pass that up.

In the middle of you board you have Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina, I had us taking him in my last mock and was ripped for it, but I still like the kid and think he can be a playmaker on the D.

It's a real possibility that we could end up with Morris Claiborne and Reuben Randle, from LSU that would be cool.

Real solid board for the Rams.
    AvengerRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    In the middle of you board you have Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina, I had us taking him in my last mock and was ripped for it, but I still like the kid and think he can be a playmaker on the D.
    Some question his tackling and suggest he's a mere "workout warrior," but I don't think you register 105 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks and 3 interceptions by accident. The kid may make a mistake or two, but he can also make plays that few people can. I'd be fine with him in Round 2.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Some question his tackling and suggest he's a mere "workout warrior," but I don't think you register 105 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks and 3 interceptions by accident. The kid may make a mistake or two, but he can also make plays that few people can. I'd be fine with him in Round 2.
    From what little Ive seen of Zach Brown's play. His rare ability when tracking down ball carrier's, outweigh's his lack of physicality at this present time. Im confident a NFL coaching staff can rectify his tackling technique over time. It's easier to improve his technique towards tackling, than it is to teach freakish ability, getting to the ball carrier.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Whats wrong with Kendall Reyes AV, is it because he is too much like Langford or do you just not value him highly?

After watching Jonathon Martin again, he just reminds me of Saffold too much. Having 2 Saffolds just doesn't make any sense for me, so I personally would downgrade Martin because of that. The same way I would downgrade receivers that remind me of Pettis and Salas.

That's pretty low for Cordy Glenn. I would be over the moon if he was there in round 2. He won't be, but it would be awesome. I think he's a good RT prospect and a great OG prospect. Why do you have him rated so much lower than Osemele and Adams?

As far as Zach Brown, linebackers need instincts. His physical tools are great, but I couldn't possibly take him above the other players that could be there in round two (David, Thompson, Randle, Hill, Fleener, Wilson, ect.)

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Whats wrong with Kendall Reyes AV, is it because he is too much like Langford or do you just not value him highly?
    Nothing wrong with him. He'd probably make my list if I went to 50. I just had the other DTs rated above him.

After watching Jonathon Martin again, he just reminds me of Saffold too much. Having 2 Saffolds just doesn't make any sense for me, so I personally would downgrade Martin because of that. The same way I would downgrade receivers that remind me of Pettis and Salas.
    Does he remind you of Saffold 2010 or Saffold 2011? Big difference b/w the two. What I like about Martin is he is considered a very good pass blocker. As a complete OT, he probably need a bit of development.

That's pretty low for Cordy Glenn. I would be over the moon if he was there in round 2. He won't be, but it would be awesome. I think he's a good RT prospect and a great OG prospect. Why do you have him rated so much lower than Osemele and Adams?
    Osemele is a guy I really like due to his size, strength and overall upside (particularly at the OG spot). Adams is more of a pure RT. Glenn is a very good prospect as well, but I have the feeling he may be an OG who thinks he's an OT.

As far as Zach Brown, linebackers need instincts. His physical tools are great, but I couldn't possibly take him above the other players that could be there in round two (David, Thompson, Randle, Hill, Fleener, Wilson, ect.)
    Well, I do have him below Randle and only one spot above Thompson.

In terms of comparing him to other LBs, all I know is that if the Rams are going to have an OLB try to stay with the Vernon Davis' of the world, I'd rather it be a guy who runs a 4.5 at 244 lbs.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Does he remind you of Saffold 2010 or Saffold 2011? Big difference b/w the two. What I like about Martin is he is considered a very good pass blocker. As a complete OT, he probably need a bit of development.
    Both. I like Saffold, and believe he can be a good LT. In McDaniels crazy offense where seemingly all passes are 7 step drops he was exposed. He probably has to be protected, but in an offense with a short passing game and a running game he should go back to his good 2010 form. As far as Martin, I believe the same thing. He would have been exposed in the same way. I have the same feelings about Reiff, but he's a different type of player, and he would probably be better off at RT anyways. The only prospect in the draft I would have faith in being LT for McDaniels would be Kalil for obvious reasons. Luckily, were not in that predicament anymore.

Osemele is a guy I really like due to his size, strength and overall upside (particularly at the OG spot). Adams is more of a pure RT. Glenn is a very good prospect as well, but I have the feeling he may be an OG who thinks he's an OT.
    From watching him, he's so wide and gigantic with such long arms he makes it hard on pass rushers. He also plays with huge power. At worst he is a gigantic and powerful LG, and at best he's able to step up and play RT and solidify the tackle position.
    I just haven't seen Osemele ahead of Glenn, and especially by that margin. Osemele will probably be available with the Rams (Redskins) second round pick and Glenn might be taken in the teens and won't slip by teams like the Steelers and Bengals.

In terms of comparing him to other LBs, all I know is that if the Rams are going to have an OLB try to stay with the Vernon Davis' of the world, I'd rather it be a guy who runs a 4.5 at 244 lbs.
    [/QUOTE]
    When I watch Lavonte David, he is all over TEs with great coverage, and they are still able to make the catch. I'm not saying that to slight David, its just that Brown is in the same category. They are the same height, and he doesn't play like he's 6'5. With amazing coverage against top tier TEs he would and does have the same problem. Gronk and Davis and Graham will still be able to make plays, so taking a specialty player that high seems wrong to me. I would rather draft a 3 down linebacker like David or draft a LB or S later in the draft to be specialty players. They might be able to get Brandon Taylor, Demario Davis (just examples) in the 4th and use the high second round pick on a more premium player. I would rather have solid yet unspectacular LB play than an inconsistent play maker. Its the difference between Aaron Curry and KJ Wright. As a prospect Brown has a huge ceiling, but he has a low floor. It has to be taken into consideration.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Av, interesting that you have fleener so high for the Rams. I remain very high on Kendricks. He showed real flashes last year. I like Fleener as a prospect, just dont love the idea of the Rams using a high pick on a tight end this time around.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Av, interesting that you have fleener so high for the Rams. I remain very high on Kendricks. He showed real flashes last year. I like Fleener as a prospect, just dont love the idea of the Rams using a high pick on a tight end this time around.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I'm not wild about taking a TE but, then again, I thought the Patriots were crazy to take Gronkowski and Hernandez in the same draft.

In the end, Bradford needs receivers. I've ranked Fleener where I did because I think he's the 5th best receiver in the draft. He just happens to be a TE (who, at 6'6 and 244 lbs runs a sub-4.5).
    laram0 likes this.

thillis is offline Registered User

Av, what are your thoughts on LaMichael James? Top 60ish? I see him as being 3rd round material as a 2nd back.

Quote Originally Posted by thillis View Post
    Av, what are your thoughts on LaMichael James? Top 60ish? I see him as being 3rd round material as a 2nd back.
    I'd agree that you'll probably see James selected in Round 3.

I'm not all that high on him for the Rams because, while he could be productive as a change-of-pace back, I don't see him as an every-down successor for SJax. If he were to fall to the top of Round 4, I'd consider him.

FOOTNOTE: There are two players I left off my list because I viewed them as MLB prospects but, after their workouts and further consideration, I believe are potential OLB prospects who could be good fits for the Rams. The are Bobby Wagner of Utah State and Mychal Kendricks of California. I would put them in the same general range as Sean Spence and Keenan Robinson (but behind Zach Brown and Lavonte David).

poejoe8 is offline Registered User

That is one of the best breakdowns of the top draft prospects I've seen in a long time! Good job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast