Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Av's Final 7 Round Rams' Double-Mock (Wish List/Predictions)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Final 7 Round Rams' Double-Mock (Wish List/Predictions)

This will be my final Rams’ mock, absent another pre-draft trade. I’m listing at each spot the player I want, and the player I expect the Rams to take.

Round 1 (6)
    Who I want: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    Who I expect: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    Blackmon has been my the top player on my board since day one and, despite the efforts of some to hyper-scrutinize him, he remains there tothe end. While the Rams will likely work the phones and try to trade down again, I expect that they will fail to get anoffer that warrants passing on Blackmon.

Round 2 (33)
    Who I want: Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
    Who I expect: Jerrel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
    I think Fisher will make the DT a spot a priority, and there should be some good options at pick No. 33. My first choice is Thompson, but I suspect he’ll be gone in the first round. Worthy would be a strong choice at this spot as well, and would give the Rams a nice rotation along with Langford and Laws.

Round 2 (39)
    Who I want: Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT, Iowa State
    Who I expect: Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT, Iowa State
    Osemele would be the perfect choice at this spot. He would immediately come in and start at OG, and would provide a second option at RT if Jason Smith is not able to stay healthy. Adding him to a line with Saffold, Dahl and Wells would finally give the Rams a strength area in front of Sam Bradford.

Round 3 (65)
    Who I want: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
    Who I expect: Mychal Kendricks, LB, California
    If Martin were to last to this spot, I think he’d be a great understudy and future replacement for Steven Jackson. My guess, however, is that he’ll be selected in Round 2. Kendricks should be there at pick No. 65, and he would fit a big need for the Rams. While he primarily played inside in college,I believe he has the tools to play the SLB spot.

Round 4 (96)
    Who I want: Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
    Who I expect: Dwight Bentley, CB, Louisiana-Lafayette
    I like the idea of taking two WRs in this draft (despite the fact that the Rams took Pettis and Salas last year). Toon should be available at this spot, and Ithink he’d be a great addition. My expectation, though, is that the Rams will want to add depth in the DB, and they have shown interest in Bentley, who should be available at that spot.

Round 6 (171)
    Who I want: Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State
    Who I expect: Isaiah Pead, RB, Cinncinnati
    I think the Rams really need to load up on young LBs. If Burris is still there at this point, I’dbe very interested. He has great athleticism, and put up impressive numbers last year at San Diego State (72 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 8 sacks). If the Rams have not filled the RB spot by this point, though, Peadwould be a guy I’d look at a very good choice, and I think his running and receiving skills would put him on Fisher’s radar.

Round 7 (209)
    Who I want: Shawn Powell, P, FSU
    Who I expect: Brian Stahovich, P, San Diego State
    This seems a good spot for the Rams to find their new punter. I prefer Powell, but I think he’ll be gone by then (along with Bryan Anger from California). Stahovich had a good college career, with a long punt of 89 yards.

Round 7 (252)
    Who I want: Tydreke Powell, DT, North Carolina
    Who I expect: Ron Brooks, CB, LSU
    This late in the draft, its almost impossible to predict, so I’m just going with a player I think could be a contributor in Powell. If I had to guess where the Rams would lean here, I’d say a DB, given the “you never have too many CBs” notion. Brooks is not a premium prospect, but he’s very fast (4.37).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-15-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Final 7 Round Rams' Double-Mock (Wish List/Predictions)

I like what you did there with want vs. expectation. I agree that just because many of us want a player if they are available in a certain round, it doesn't mean that the Rams feel the same way. Having said that, I would take either draft.
    If Martin fell to the 3rd and we hadn't picked up a RB yet he'd be a tremendous pick.
    I think Toon could be great at the next level if he can stay healthy.
    Very well done.

p.s. Some of those picks look familiar to something i saw about a week ago

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like it, I have us taking four players in this mock myself.

I would take Mychal Kendricks, LB over Doug Martin, RB. The only RB I would take in the draft is Richardson and that's if Blackmon is gone. We have to many needs not saying RB is not one it's just not as high IMO.

I like the Wish List vs the Predictions...

RyanFoster is offline Registered User

perfect draft. if this was how we ended up it would fill all major needs

DT, OLB, WR, and Guard are all taken care of and ready to mature into quality players.

Good job

general counsel is offline Registered User

Great thread Av, i can't complain with anything in it. I will say this, if we trade back, i would love to have decastro and rueben randle. I think randle is going to be terrific and suffered terribly from awful qb play and a grinding offense. As for decastro, a ten year stud starter at guard, he is undervalued because of his position, but heaven knows we could use a stud guard.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nice work putting this together. You're certainly better informed than I concerning the later round picks. I must disagree with your round 2 selections. While you have Doug Martin as a round 3 "hope for", I see him as a round 2 value and I think we would take him at #33. I base that on is playmaking skill which we so desperately need plus he blocks well for the QB. Now, he's not the home run threat of some other RB's, but he can move the chains similar to Ray Rice and that's essential for us to reduce our 3 and outs or 2nd and long. If we don't take him, expect Tampa Bay who may miss out on Trent Richardson in round 1 to opt for him. Alternatively we may consider David Wilson or Lamar Miller but only with the 2nd round 2 pick.

On the other round 2 pick I would hope for Bobbie Massie, but he may go to Cleveland at #37. So we may be forced to select Devon Still at DT. I agree we should hope for Jerel Worthy although he like Still have "motor issues" but JF is probably a good motivator (see Albert Haynsworth). Plus they are nose tackles which I think we'll need as Langford and Laws I think (I may be wrong) are three techniques. My beef (no pun intended) with Osemele is that he's not athletic enough for the type of lineman Fisher prefers, ergo my thinking about Massie. It would be too early, but James Brown of Troy a OT/OG should be a consideration because of his talent & flexibility. My hope is Brown's there in round three or Brandon Brooks of Miami (OH) OG, but athleticism may be a concern with him. I'm almost more interested in rounds 2 & 3 as we have more options than round 1. Basically I think we're going to be more offense oriented assuming the players we grade higher will be there. It's still BPA in my book and I believe in Fisher and Snead's as well.

I agree with another WR and Toon based on his gene pool may be a good pick, although I might hope for Brian Quick if he's available. I have no problem with Dwight Bentley (good speed, fluid hips) who had a very good Senior Bowl week for secondary depth. Your later rounds look great, although Isaiah Pead will likely go before round 6 based on his good Senior Bowl week, plus he had a nice Combine.

Certainly looks like an exciting few weeks for Ram fans and we cannot forget we have extra picks in round 1 for the next 2 years, so not every need is going to be filled this year.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -04-15-2012 at 04:19 PM.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I would be okay with your first three picks but then I would like to see the draft finish out like this.

1(6) Justin Blackmon WR 6'1 211 15 TDs
    2(33) Jerel Worthy DT 6'3 310
    2(39) Kelechi Osemele OG 6'5 335 30 Bench

3 LaMichael James RB 5'8 195 4.37 40 (JR played 3 years 57 TDs 5,671 yards)
    4 Nigel Bradham OLB 6'3 240
    6 Asa Jackson CB 5'11 190 4.4 40
    7 Miles Burris OLB 6'2 246 4.63 40 31 Bench
    7 Drew Butler P 6'1 205, Best Available P

There are only two RB's I would want us to draft Trent Richardson or LaMichael James. If we dont get one of those two I would rather fill other holes and sign a backup to Jackson. I really like James and think he would be great paired with Jackson. If we could add Blackmon, James, and Osemele to the offense I think the offense could be much improved.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -04-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Av
    I like it. I would change the third and fourth round picks. I like WR A.J. Jenkins Illinois in the third and TE Taylor Thompson S.M.U. in the fourth. I will pass on a punter in the draft , but take a undrafted punter or free agent. Would rather Rams take another shot at OLB, G or OT position.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    I would be okay with your first three picks but then I would like to see the draft finish out like this.

1(6) Justin Blackmon WR 6'1 211 15 TDs
    2(33) Jerel Worthy DT 6'3 310
    2(39) Kelechi Osemele OG 6'5 335 30 Bench

3 LaMichael James RB 5'8 195 4.37 40 (JR played 3 years 57 TDs 5,671 yards)
    4 Nigel Bradham OLB 6'3 240
    6 Asa Jackson CB 5'11 190 4.4 40
    7 Miles Burris OLB 6'2 246 4.63 40 31 Bench
    7 Drew Butler P 6'1 205, Best Available P

There are only two RB's I would want us to draft Trent Richardson or LaMichael James. If we dont get one of those two I would rather fill other holes and sign a backup to Jackson. I really like James and think he would be great paired with Jackson. If we could add Blackmon, James, and Osemele to the offense I think the offense could be much improved.
    No Punter in 7th. Same changes as above with 3rd and 4th round picks.

Try to find a Star RB as a undrafted freeagent this year. If not use one of the first round picks next year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am very much in favor of a punter in the 7th round if there is a punter that the Rams really like. The 7th round is the biggest possible crapshoot, why not take a guy that has the best chance to make an impact for us in year one (and in the future). If we are indifferent between a number of different punters available, then no need to use a pick, but if there is a guy we like a lot, i dont even have a problem in round 6.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I agree that it might be better to grab one of the best punters in the 7th so we don't get outbid in UFA if there is a guy we particularly like