Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Av's FINAL* 7-Round Rams Mock

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    For my FINAL* mock, I'm going back to the standard "no trades" format.

The * is there in case the Rams make a trade that is announced before the draft begins, in which case I would modify my mock accordingly.

So... after the longest draft season ever (with 9 days still to go) here is my last projection for the 2014 Rams draft:

1(2): Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
    Perhaps more so than in any other draft, I find myself uncertain as to who the Rams will draft first. I'm assuming that Jadeveon Clowney is selected first overall, as I don't think the Rams would pass on him if he falls to No. 2. From there, its down to four players: Robinson, Jake Matthews, Khalil Mack and Sammy Watkins. I could see the Rams taking any of them. Ultimately, though, I have to make a choice, so I went with Robinson, who I believe provides the best combination of need-filling and superstar potential. He might start his career at OG, where I think he has All-Pro potential, before moving to OT in the long run. An opening day line of Long, Saffold, Wells, Robinson and Barksdale sounds pretty good to me.

1(13): Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    The Rams would love to see Mike Evans still on the board here, but I don't see that happening. As a result, I think the Rams will want to address the DB and, given the choice, my gut tells me that they'll favor a CB over a S. Justin Gilbert will likely be gone by this point, and Darqueze Dennard might be as well. Fuller is a "riser,"who some (Mike Mayock) have rated as the top CB in the draft. He'd be a great addition to Gregg Williams' defense.

2(44): Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU
    Benjamin started as a hot, rising prospect, and has now cooled a bit, making the prospect of him being on the board at pick No. 44 reasonable. While I don't think the Rams view WR as a primary need, Benjamin is a unique prospect. From a physical standpoint, he shares more traits with Jimmy Graham than he does with most WRs. While his skills are a bit raw, he'd be a great third down and Red Zone option from Day 1. He'd also put pressure on players like Brian Quick, Austin Pettis, and even Kenny Britt to earn their roster spots.

3(75): Terrence Brooks, FS, FSU
    The Rams go back to the Tallahassee well and select Brooks to fill the CF role in the Rams defensive backfield. Though not physically imposing at 5'11, 198, Brooks is tough and very fast (4.42). He will allow the Rams young CB to play a lot closer to the line of scrimmage than they did last year, taking away the quick passes that, more than any opposing OL, occasionally neutralized the Rams pass rush.

4(110): Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    I have to admit that I'm not the biggest Murray fan out there. I have concerns about his size and arm strength. That said, he was extremely productive playing in a pro-style offense in the toughest division in college football. That should account for something so, if the Rams see him as the best option for a developmental QB (and I have a hunch that they might), I'm good with that.

5(153): Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    The Rams need some depth at LB, and Gregg Williams will want to have situational players to insert for his blitz packages. Pierre-Louis fits this need well. He's on the small side at (6'1, 232), but very fast (4.51) and a good overall athlete. He could have an immediate impact on special teams as well, which should not be overlooked at this point in the draft.

6(188): John Halapio,OG, Florida
    While nobody would call Halapio nimble, he is big,strong, durable and was a team captain at Florida. With the Rams'; focus on running the ball, he could challenge for a starting role early in his career,or provide valuable depth.

6(214): George Uko, DT, USC
    I sense that the Rams want to add another DT to the rotation, preferably one with some quickness and pass rush ability. Uko is undersized, but quick enough to register 10 sacks and 16 TFL overthe past two years. There's definitely some upside potential, as well.

7(226): Rajion Neal, RB, Tennessee
    Given the Rams' desire to run the ball frequently, the Rams will need good depth behind Zac Stacy. Neal has good size (5'11, 211), and is a no-nonsense North/South runner. He has also demonstrated ability in pass protection and catching the ball out of the backfield. He would likely compete with Isaiah Pead and Daryl Richardson for a spot.

7(241): Thomas Gordon, SS, Michigan
    Good size and speed. Experienced four year starter. Good depth and special teams prospect. Spare parts for the defensive backfield always a good thing.

7(249): Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky
    A mainstay in my mocks, Dowling's college career was disjointed (dismissed from UF by Urban Meyer for violation of team rules), but this size and athletic ability suggest a potential diamond in the rough. At worst, he'd be a good special teams candidate.

7(250): James Morris, MLB, Iowa
    To finish off the draft, how about some depth behind James Laurinaitis? Morris is not an elite athlete, but he managed to register 329 tackles, 29.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks and 6 interceptions over the past three seasons. Guess he has some idea how to play the game.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-01-2014 at 11:32 AM.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Re: Av's FINAL* 7-Round Rams Mock

Like a lot of the picks here. Robinson is an excellent selection. Fuller is another great pick. He is going to be an absolute stud in the league. I question the Benjamin pick though. He is pretty raw, but he does offer some jump ball ability that we don't have. Brooks is one of my favourite prospects in the draft; he'll make a hell of a FS. Also have Pierre-Louis as one of my "draft steals". He offers some killer speed at the LB position.
    AvengerRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Bravo, good mock! Did we move down a spot from #13 to #14 in round 1? Agree with you being torn between Matthews and Robinson at #2, though the trade option may resolve that for us. Really liking Kyle Fuller, although if he's there Aaron Donald may be hard to pass up. Williams and Fisher like to have a stronger front 7 than secondary because it's all about getting to the QB. If that happens then Jason Verritt as our slot corner would be a great selection, although we'd have to move up to get him as he won't be there at #44.

Kelvin Benjamin better learn to concentrate better because his drops scare me.

I'm not concerned about Murray's size and arm strength. Is he accurate and does he make good decisions are more important in my book.

Good job.

Go Rams!

turbofargo is offline Registered User

I like it. Going to steer clear of the they will be there they won't be there argument as long as it is somewhat reasonable.

I might switch out Kelvin Benjamin with Deone Buchannon, and 3rd go with Kyle Von Noy, but that is strictly personal preference. That said I would be happy given a tradeless draft.

Benjamin is definitely a boom/bust prospect. In Round 2, I think he is worth the risk.

Randart is offline Registered User

No RB's for you this time around AvR? As some have said change out Benjamin and for me it would be Hill or Hyde then we can really run down hill on our division opponents. Having the guys we have now and putting in our bigger back to suppliment would devistate our division via a run heavy offense! imho

I just feel it is imperative to not bank solely on the guys we already have given they were all hurt with multiple injuries last year... With the exception of Peady whom our staff chose not to use much in that situation. Therefore I think we are needy at the RB position. Just my thoughts, on what I believe our coach plans to do and would like to do.

I've got a RB in Round 7 (Neal), who I think fits our system pretty well.

I would not be opposed to taking a RB sooner, but I suspect that the Rams see the position as a low priority.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Sorry man I missed that pick! LOL
    My error, and I don't know this guy what is his style of play AvR?
    I really like the big guys on the top end, and I fear in a huge way you are correct that the Rams feel they have good depth already in house. I disagree with this to a huge degree for the reasons I stated. Plus all our backs are smaller guys, a couple are pretty tough customers like Stacy and Bam Bam but still smaller. Would love to add some size to our group to really be able to pound at our division rivals!

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    Sorry man I missed that pick! LOL
    My error, and I don't know this guy what is his style of play AvR?
    I really like the big guys on the top end, and I fear in a huge way you are correct that the Rams feel they have good depth already in house. I disagree with this to a huge degree for the reasons I stated. Plus all our backs are smaller guys, a couple are pretty tough customers like Stacy and Bam Bam but still smaller. Would love to add some size to our group to really be able to pound at our division rivals!
    Here's a nice set of highlights for Neal. As you can see, he hits the hole quickly and has decent (4.5s) speed. He actually reminds me of Stacy:

vanillasue is offline Registered User

For the most part I like it, but here are my tweaks.

1(2): Mack OLB, Buffalo

4(110): Offensive Lineman
    5th or 6th round - Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    For the most part I like it, but here are my tweaks.

1(2): Mack OLB, Buffalo

4(110): Offensive Lineman
    5th or 6th round - Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
    I think you have illustrated a key problem.

I think Mack and Watkins are both worthy of the No. 2 selection, but neither fills a primary need. So, if you select one of them, you end up having to fill key spots later - for example, you have the Rams waiting until Round 4 to take an OL. While there certainly could be quality players available then, its harder to find an immediate starter on Day 3.

I also don't think that Murray will last until Round 5.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I think Mack and Watkins are both worthy of the No. 2 selection, but neither fills a primary need. So, if you select one of them, you end up having to fill key spots later - for example, you have the Rams waiting until Round 4 to take an OL. While there certainly could be quality players available then, its harder to find an immediate starter on Day 3.

That can work but not in a tradeless draft. Rams need one more 2nd rounder to use to get the OT/OG otherwise we will be taking a huge risk getting a 4th rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

You may be right, but if we cant trade #2 then I want a huge impact player and Clowney Watkins and Mack are the only 3 I would take there. I can get an OL at #13/round 2 if that is what you insist on and then go with a CB at round 2/3. Either way, I don't want to draft a OL at #2. I would also argue that an OLB is a need especially if he can do it all.

The Seahawks offense is really not that good. What they do is punish opposing teams with their Def. and then run the ball. This is exactly what Fisher wants to do. So, to me Mack makes the most sense as to what the Rams do at #2. Murray gone by round 5 ? you are probably right.

Also, Just curious, do you like Kelvin Benjamin better than Allen Robinson or Jordan Mathews ?

I'm not all that high on Robinson.

Matthews is a safe choice for a team that needs a good No. 2.

Benjamin, in my mind, is a potential No. 1 (he could also be a flop, but at least he has the upside potential).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast