Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Final Pre-Draft Thoughts

1. If I were the decisonmaker, I'd select Sam Bradford with the first pick. The Rams need a QB and I believe he is the best prospect at that position by far. In a sense, its that simple.

2. Except... its not that simple. I would love to see Ndamukong Suh in a Rams uniform. If I was certain that the Rams could take Suh and still get Colt McCoy in Round 2, there's a good chance that I would do just that. But... as McCoy may go in the late first round, I'm not willing to take the risk of missing out on the chance to draft one of the top 3 QB prospects (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy).

3. Round 2 will be the most intriguing part of the draft. The Rams should have some very good options. There could be some very good playmakers (D.Thomas, G.Tate, J.Best), OTs (V.Ducasse), DL (E.Griffen, B.Price) or CBs (D.McCourty, K.Jackson) to choose from. A trade is also a distinct possibility.

4. I am not generally opposed to trading down from the first pick, but I can't imagine an offer being made that would be worth considering.

5. The prospect of trading for Osi Umneyiora (a one-time member of Av's annual sleeper list) is tempting. In Round 3, I'd have to see what the alternatives are. I'm not sure I'd take Osi over Alex Carrington or Corey Wooton, if either were available at that point. For a 4th rounder, I'd make the trade in a heartbeat.

6. My most overrated prospect in the draft: Tim Tebow

7. My most underrated prospect in the draft: Lamarr Houston.

8. I'm totally stoked for the draft weekend. It is truly a football oasis in the otherwise barron desert of the offseason. I also like the three-day, prime time, format. As the blonde chick in the commercial for Hot Tub Time Machine said, "let's get this party started!"

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Final Pre-Draft Thoughts

Where does Myron Rolle go? And what do you think of him? I'm very anxious about this draft and I hope we don't trade out of the first pick for nothing because of this ownership debacle; its unfair for the team and its fans...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

I like Rolle as a 5th or 6th round prospect.

I refuse to respond to any question or comment that is premised upon the absurd notion that the ownership situation is going to dictate the manner in which the Rams approach the draft.

Let me make my view on that abundantly clear:

THE OWNERSHIP SITUATION (WHICH IS, IN NO WAY, A "DEBACLE") WILL NOT IMPACT THE RAMS' DRAFT AT ALL!!!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I hope you are right. I've honestly been kind of stressed over this draft. I don't remember any draft that had so many rumors, especially pertaining to the Rams. I don't want to get a bad deal out of trading the first pick to Cleveland or whoever. I'm totally happy with Bradford being the pick. I can't take all of this anxiety!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tmbkb8 is offline Registered User

Av, what are your thoughts on Jerry Hughes? Any chance he drops to #33? I have been watching some tape on him, and I have to say, I am VERY impressed.

I have Hughes ranked #38 on my Rams Draft Board, so he's definitely a guy I'm looking at as a possibility for the second round. He might not be a perfect fit for the Rams' system, but his pass rush skills would be very beneficial to the Rams.

One other thought...

I do NOT want to see C.J. Spiller drafted by the Seahawks or Niners. If he can't be a Ram, I don't want the Rams to have to face that guy twice a year.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One other thought...

I do NOT want to see C.J. Spiller drafted by the Seahawks or Niners. If he can't be a Ram, I don't want the Rams to have to face that guy twice a year.
    On that note, I'll mention the sentiments of two whiner fans I know rather well. Both have stated to me emphatically they hope the Rams don't draft Suh, as the thought of having to face him twice a year is not one they relish ..

todd1 is offline Registered User

Av, what do you think of 2 guys that could be there at the top of the 2nd round? Carlos Dunlap and Arrelious Benn? I think Dunlap would be great value at #33, at a position of glaring need. DE is really lacking, with Long and Hall slated to start and I guess Adeyanju as the primary back-up?

I'm not nearly as high on Benn, but I've seen a lot of mocks that have him wearing the curly horns at #33.

Thoughts?

Dunlap is the very definition of "boom or bust." If you look at his physical tools, he should be a top 15 pick. At UF, though, his play was inconsistent and some felt he was a bit lazy. Then there was, of course, the DUI thing.

All things considered, I have him ranked at the #34 prospect on my Rams Draft Board, so I would consider him as a possibility in Round 2. My guess, though, is that he'll be gone before then.

Benn is on my "Ten Foot Pole" list. I would not touch him with a Top 50 pick.

todd1 is offline Registered User

Thanks, Av. I agree on Benn completely, just wondering your thoughts. I mean, I know his QB play stunk out loud at Illinois, but if you are really as talented as Benn is hyped to be, you just have to find the end zone more than 10 times in 3 years. You just have to.

On Dunlap, I agree again on the boom-or-bust label. I think if he booms, though, you have a near Mario Williams type that Spags could use as an interior rusher on passing downs. The possibilities would be endless, at a position of under-rated need. And don't forget, Bradley Fletcher also had a DUI when we drafted him last year, and he looked like a very solid pick before his injury.

I also agree on your original thoughts, the 1st pick of the 2nd round is where the real action begins for our Rams. I'm targeting the following players to fall: Gresham, Demaryius Thomas, Dunlap, Brian Price, Everson Griffen, Sean Weatherspoon, and Jahvid Best. At least 3-4 of those guys should be available. Heck, we may be able to trade down with somebody who wants to secure Colt McCoy or another falling player and still be able to land one of my above guys. It should be exciting.
    Last edited by todd1; -04-20-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I like your list overall, Av, but this one kind of stood out to me...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    2. Except... its not that simple. I would love to see Ndamukong Suh in a Rams uniform. If I was certain that the Rams could take Suh and still get Colt McCoy in Round 2, there's a good chance that I would do just that. But... as McCoy may go in the late first round, I'm not willing to take the risk of missing out on the chance to draft one of the top 3 QB prospects (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy).
    The problem is that no one can be certain about anything in terms of how the draft is going to fall, so I don't understand the qualifier. The entire draft is about calculated risk and projection. If you're looking for guarantees, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think the chances are actually pretty good that McCoy is there in the second round for the Rams. Can't guarantee it obviously, but I think he's there barring a trade up. I believe the teams in the bottom part of the first round are going to be looking for other positions that will help them win now. It's unlikely that McCoy will be viewed as too good of a value in the late first round to pass up, too.

If someone wants to make a friendly wager on that (winner chooses loser's avatar for a week or something fun like that), I'd be game.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I would gamnble that McCoy would be available in the second so I would take suh and see how the dice fall and if McCoy is selected at the top of the first I would be happy to wait till next year for a QB Suh is a once in a lifetime pick there are always 'franchise' QB's every year there won't be another suh

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

AV, how do you have Damian Williams ranked? I honestly think he is a huge possibility at 33, over Thomas and Tate. First round talent who fits the West Coast like a glove. I would not be disappointed at ALL with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem is that no one can be certain about anything in terms of how the draft is going to fall, so I don't understand the qualifier.
    What's not to understand? If the Rams decide to take Bradford at #1, there is a 100% that they will select one of the top 3 QBs in the draft. If the Rams decide not to take Bradford at #1, there is a less than 100% (I'd say about 50/50) chance that they will select one of the top 3 QBs in the draft.

Given that I see QB as the top need by far (not to mention the fact that I don't think McCoy has the upside that Bradford does), I'm not willing to take that risk.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -04-20-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast