Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's FINAL* Rams Mock Draft

The Juniors have declared… the Senior Bowl has come and gone… the Combine is done… the key Pro Days have happened… it is time for…

Av’s Final* Rams Mock Draft

(*I do reserve the right to make changes if the Rams make a major FA signing or trade between now and the draft)

First, here are my picks from my previous versions:

Round-Version 1.0-Version 2.0-Version 3.0-Version 4.0

1. Michael Oher-Andre Smith-B.J. Raji-Aaron Curry
    2. Herman Johnson-Alex Mack-William Beatty-Ron Brace
    3. Scott McKillop-Scott McKillop-Jonathan Luigs-Gerald Cadogan
    4. Tom Brandstater-Ron Brace-Rhett Bomar-Ramses Barden
    5. Ron Brace-Tom Brandstater-Mike Thomas-Tom Brandstater
    6. Antone Smith-Ramses Barden-Quinn Johnson-Quinn Johnson
    7. Joe Burnett-Mike Thomas-Daniel Holtzclaw-Daniel Holtzclaw

And now… my final choices:

Round 1: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia
    In the end, I’ve come full circle and decided that the Rams’ best move is to lock in the LT of the future in Monroe. Some say Jason Smith has more upside, but Monroe is the “camera ready” prospect the Rams need. I’m sure there will be times I’ll regret not taking Aaron Curry, B.J. Raji, or even Michael Crabtree, but in the end, building an O line is just about the best way to build a winning team.

Round 2: Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    After bolstering the OL in Round 1, its now time to solidify the defense. I’ll have my eye on Rey Maualuga (for a trade up) and James Laurinaitis (as a possible “slider”), but my choice is to go with the big guy in Brace. Put him at NT, and the DL comes together nicely. Pass rushers (Long, Little) on the outside, a potential “disrupter” at UT (Carriker) and a big immovable rock (Brace) at NT. Add in Ryan and Adeyanju for depth, and the defensive front 4 looks pretty decent.

Round 3: Brian Robiskie, WR, Ohio State
    Before anyone chimes in… yes, I’m quite aware that he could go in the second round. If he does not, though, I think he’s the choice. I like how Robiskie’s size and skill set could compliment what Donnie Avery brings to the table. If Robiskie is gone, I’d consider Ramses Barden, who might be somewhat of a boom-or-bust prospect.

Round 4: Antonio Appleby, MLB, Virginia
    Appleby is a bit of a sleeper, as he was overshadowed by players like Chris Long and Clint Sintim in the past two years. I like his size and athletic ability, and see him as a true 4-3 MLB. He could also probably play SLB, if needed, as his 40 times were faster than many expected (4.6s).

Round 5: Tom Brandstater, QB, Fresno State
    A mainstay of my mocks, Brandstater makes the final list. He strikes me as the type of player who, with a couple of years of work as an understudy, could one day emerge as a very good starting QB. He has all the tools, and would give the Rams the developmental QB they’ve lacked in recent years.

Round 6: Antone Smith, RB, Florida State
    Again, I may be showing some blind hope here, as Smith could easily be gone by this point. If he isn’t, I think he could be a good backup for Jackson. He’s small, but carried a big workload at FSU. He also has the speed to break long runs, something that the current Rams backup RBs do not have.

Round 7: Daniel Holtzclaw, MLB, Michigan State
    I see no reason to change from this choice. Holtzclaw is sleeper, for sure, but he was a very productive college player. Depth at LB is a real need for the Rams, and if he’s available at this point, I think he’d be a great choice.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.

zingers16 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's FINAL* Rams Mock Draft

I like it. Personally I like Curry one, but this looks very good.

With our receiving corps, I would like to add two receivers in this draft and forego a RB until undrafted free agents or later. I think a WR in the 6th might fit in better, I just don't have any that I know of projecting around then.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

That would be very ideal. I REALLY hope Robiskie is there in the third, but i will be more than happy with Barden. Brace will probably be the choice if we can't somehow get our hands on a MLB.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Honestly, when I look at mock drafts I look at Rounds 1 & 2 and if the Rams take a QB late. This would be a good one in my opinion....good enough for me to watch the draft? Only if Erin Andrews stood in a skimpy black bikini for the whole time would I even consider watching it.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Honestly, when I look at mock drafts I look at Rounds 1 & 2 and if the Rams take a QB late. This would be a good one in my opinion....good enough for me to watch the draft? Only if Erin Andrews stood in a skimpy black bikini for the whole time would I even consider watching it.
    Didn't you hear TX? Erin Andrews and Lindsay Soto are going to Whipped cream wrestle midway through the first round?

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Av's FINAL* Rams Mock Draft

Looks good, Av

AbramAssassin is offline Registered User

AV, i like that draft, you picked robiskie in the 3rd which wil be a massive pick for us if we can get him, if we get monroe, rey mal and robiskie i will be more than happy

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Overall i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But i got a question for you:

Iight in plenty of mock drafts i see Ram fans taking Tom Brandstater in the 5th. I personally would rather take Rhett Bomar in the 4th. Because i know we need a developmental Qb and Brandstater is a full project. THe Qb we take will most likely be the #2 guy (dont count on Ferotte to be signed). Also Bulger is injury prone so the chances that our #2 QB will play in 2009 are pretty high. SO i think we should take a guy that can step up this season if an injury happens to Bulger. Also Brandstater is a guy that needs coaching and will be a good QB in 3-4 years he turns 25 in the middle of the 09 season so he will be 28-29 when he will be "the guy". So do you think Brandstater will be able to contribute if Bulger folds this season?

No rookie QB is a safe bet, but I don't see Brandstater as any worse an option as an emergency QB than Bomar would be.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Overall i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But i got a question for you:

Iight in plenty of mock drafts i see Ram fans taking Tom Brandstater in the 5th. I personally would rather take Rhett Bomar in the 4th. Because i know we need a developmental Qb and Brandstater is a full project. THe Qb we take will most likely be the #2 guy (dont count on Ferotte to be signed). Also Bulger is injury prone so the chances that our #2 QB will play in 2009 are pretty high. SO i think we should take a guy that can step up this season if an injury happens to Bulger. Also Brandstater is a guy that needs coaching and will be a good QB in 3-4 years he turns 25 in the middle of the 09 season so he will be 28-29 when he will be "the guy". So do you think Brandstater will be able to contribute if Bulger folds this season?
    Why wouldn't we count on signing Ferrotte, a 4th or 5th rounder is definately not a reliable or qualified back up. They haven't played a snap in the NFL at one of the hardest positions to play in sports. They will need to develop and we won't put them in bad situation where we are asking a developmental 5th or 4th rounder to start in their rookie year.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Why wouldn't we count on signing Ferrotte, a 4th or 5th rounder is definately not a reliable or qualified back up. They haven't played a snap in the NFL at one of the hardest positions to play in sports. They will need to develop and we won't put them in bad situation where we are asking a developmental 5th or 4th rounder to start in their rookie year.
    Ferotte will be more reliable than a mid rounder

But i dont the Bill Devaney is going to sign him. The reason we did not sign Butler quickly was becasue we needed the money. Now that Holt and Pace are gone we have the money. Ferotte has been rumored but not signed which leads me to belive the rams will not sign anyone over the age of 30.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

All and all I like it, but Robiskie will not be there in the 3rd round, but nice wish list though the first 2 pics I agree with totally.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

A few mocks on the web I've seen have Bomar going in the 3rd to Tennessee. That may be too soon for the Rams to draft a QB.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I like the Holtzclaw pick. I think the guy is very underrated, coming for a not so popular school (Eastern Michigan) but the guy is a tackling machine, and I believe he racked up more than 100 tackles this season? (I may be wrong)

OVerall, the mock looks very good, I think if Appleby isn't there in the 4th, Mckillop would be a fine choice also.

A note: I think if Herman Johnson somehow falls to the third round, as Duke Robinson could be falling to the second, and some other guards stocks are rising, I think we should consider taking him. Him and Jason Brown would plug the interior of our line instantly, and he would benefit from the abilites of Jason Brown and Monroe alongside of him.

Good job on the mock.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Robiskie will not be there in the 3rd round.
    That's easy to say, and might prove correct, but remember... at this time last year nobody predicted that zero WRs would go in the first round, or that DeShaun Jackson would be there as late as he was taken.

In other words, you have to wait and see.

That said, because of the potential that Robiskie will be gone, I have my backup plan (Barden) listed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast