Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Free Agent "Hot List"

Here are my top 14 free agent targets for the Rams. I'll adjust it as players are signed or become available (let me know if this is, or becomes, outdated by signings):

1. Nate Clements, CB, Bills
    While CB is not the top need position, Clements is a true cover corner who, along with Tye Hill and Fakhir Brown, would give the Rams a top trio of CBs.

2. Eric Steinbach, OG, Bengals
    The Rams could, in adding Steinbach, solidify a young interior line that will be crucial if the team is going to take advantage of the "Steven Jackson years."

3. Justin Smith, DE, Bengals
    Smith is a solid pass rusher and good against the run. Like Will Witherspoon last year, he is at the right age to offer a big long term deal.

4. Terdell Sands, DT, Raiders
    The Raiders have reportedly been trying to re-sign Sands, so he may not be on the market long. If the Rams could snatch him up, he'd give them the big body up front that they've been lacking. A bit of a gamble, as he has limited experience. Re-signed by Oakland (2/14/07)

5. Lance Briggs, LB, Bears
    The Rams need to add size to their LB corps, and Briggs would fit that role. Questionable whether he'd move to the MLB spot or continue on the strong side.

6. Adalius Thomas, LB, Ravens
    Another big LB. Has been very productive on a very good defense. Would he be as productive with the Rams?

7. Kris Dielman, OG, Chargers
    Would fill a similar role as Steinbach. Comes from a team that obviously likes to run the ball.

8. Michael Lewis, SS, Eagles
    Had a bit of a down year in 2006, but is still a young playmaker who would fit in well with the Rams.

9. Ken Hamlin, FS, Seahawks
    They took our two starting DEs, it would be nice to take one of their starters.

10. Robair Smith, DT, Titans
    Not a true "big DT" at 310 lbs., but has been fairly productive with the Titans.

11. Kawika Mitchell, LB, Chiefs
    A true MLB with size (253 lbs.). Would be a good addition.

12. Shaun O'Hara, C, Giants
    Experienced player who has helped Tiki Barber run for a lot of yards. Could become starter allowing Richie Incognito to remain at OG.

13. Charles Grant, DE, Saints
    Big DE who would help run support, but has been inconsistent as a pass rusher. Another Haslett player, though.

14. Patrick Kerney, DE, Falcons
    Not as big as Grant (273 lbs. to Grant's 290), but an established pass rusher. Health a concern after torn pectoral muscle ended his 2006.

15. Asante Samuel, CB, Patriots
    Another CB who would look good paired with Tye Hill. An aggressive ballhawk. Would be nice to take him away from Pats.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-14-2007 at 06:29 PM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Free Agent "Hot List"

Before i start, I dont mean to criticise your list, i just want to give you some input as to what i feel:

Charles Grant should be on that list really. He is a top DE and would be a great compliment to Little. He has been in the year one year less then Smith.

Although Clements would be a great signing, i feel the corners we have are fine as they are. Not even Clements can cover a guy for 7 seconds every play, which is why improving the pass rush is, IMO, the second most important thing this offseason. I would move Clements down the list when it comes to priorities for the Rams

The first thing is to obviously stop the run. You have listed Robaire Smith who i believe has been playing End in a 3-4 for the Texans, and i think he dropped some weight to play there from DT/NT from his time with the Titans. So he could bulk up. Either way, 310 may be 'small', but many of the top run stuffers in the league are around that size anyway, so its not much of a problem.

Ive not really thought about signing a safety, but it could be possible. The only thing is whether Lewis played well because of his own talent or whether it helped him a lot playing next to Brian Dawkins. Ken 'The Hammer' Hamlin could be a decent buy, but would we really want to bench OJ after he has shown a vast improvement over this last season?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Any of the DT's or MLB's works for me.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post

Charles Grant should be on that list really. He is a top DE and would be a great compliment to Little. He has been in the year one year less then Smith.
    I think he is the top (complete) DE out there......and he's still young. If the Rams have him in their sights, pull the trigger.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

is michael stahan a free agent??? doesn anyone know the status on him

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I dont think Strahan is a Free Agents and I would not want the Rams to get him if he were availible, he is getting very old and hes been hurt this season and he hasnt played in a game for weeks

Charles Grant is a guy I could see the Rams pursuing if the Saints don't resign him quickly. He's an interesting prospect at DE because of his size (290) and he has a history with Haslett. I am a bit concerned with his downturn in production as a pass rusher (only 8.5 sacks in the past two years) but he'd probably be #13 on the Hot List.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-07-2007 at 11:42 PM.

One guy to keep an eye on: Kris Jenkins, DT, Panthers

I've read a couple of reports that he could be a cap casualty. After two injury plagued seasons, he stayed healthy this year and was selected to the Pro Bowl. At 335 lbs., he is exactly the type of DT the Rams need.

viper is offline Registered User

What about Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen? I'd think they should be high on the list as well.

Dwight Freeney is a great pass rusher, but he's undersized and played on a run defense that was even worse than the Rams. He's going to get a huge contract and the Rams can't afford to pay that kind of money to a player like that.

Jared Allen would be a very good fit, but I'm troubled by his DUI problems, so I'd be a bit reluctant to sign him to a big deal.

viper is offline Registered User

Both are valid points, Av. No doubt we need to get someone that can help stop the run.

I wasn't aware of Allen's DUI issues. Do you know if that is a recent problem or something from the past? He is a restricted FA this year, so it might be tough to wrestle him away from KC anyway.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I am a bit concerned with his downturn in production as a pass rusher (only 8.5 sacks in the past two years) but he'd probably be #13 on the Hot List.
    He's a monster against the run and even with a downturn in his production, he still out preformed the Rams whole right side.

Charles Grant
    SPLIT TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF
    2006 65 50 15 6.0 2 3 3

Anthony Hargrove
    2006 24 18 6 1.5 1 3

TOT SOLO AST SACK STF STFY FF
    Rams06 5 4 1 0.5

Victor Adeyanju
    2006 34 30 4 1.0 3 6 0
    Brandon Green
    2006 19 14 5 0.5 3 4 0

Charles Grant Vs. Rams
    2006 65 50 15 6.0 2 3 3

Rams right side
    2006 58 48 10 2.0 6 10 0 0

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

No love for London, AV?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by badmoforamfan View Post
    He's a monster against the run and even with a downturn in his production, he still out preformed the Rams whole right side.
    I have no doubt he'd be an upgrade, but I prefer Justin Smith, who I think is more of an all-around and consistent performer. As you can see, I only have one DE on the list. This is because I think that DE may be a position better filled through the draft.

No love for London, AV?
    I'm a big London Fletcher fan, but at his size and age, I just don't see him as the answer to the Rams' problems.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-08-2007 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I wasn't aware of Allen's DUI issues. Do you know if that is a recent problem or something from the past?
    Very recent, unfortunately:

Chiefs' Allen gets jail time for DUI-related arrest

01/04/2007 9:49 AM - Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen reportedly will serve jail time for his DUI-related arrest in the fall.

Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen reportedly will serve jail time for his DUI-related arrest in the fall.
    Allen, the sack leader for the playoff-bound Chiefs, was ordered to serve 48 hours in jail after a judge revoked a diversion program relating to his arrest, the Kansas City Star reported Thursday. He had been found guilty of driving under the influence. Allen will enter the Johnson County Jail for a two-day period beginning Feb. 16, the newspaper reported. As part of a plea agreement, Allen also was put on probation for a year and fined $500. The penalty includes a suspended sentence of 90 days in jail.Allen, 24, was granted diversion in July after being stopped by police May 11 in Overland Park. But after Allen was charged Sept. 26 with driving under the influence in Leawood, prosecutors filed a motion to terminate the diversion program, the Star reported. The request was granted Wednesday after Allen was found guilty.Allen is expected to appear in court on the Leawood charge on Feb. 14.The Chiefs play the Indianapolis Colts in the first round of the AFC playoffs Saturday night.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast