AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Grades for the 2006 Rookie Class

NOTE: Grades are based, in part, on when the players were drafted.

Round 1: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    Was brought along slowly, but eventually became starter and arguably the Rams best cover CB. Three interceptions and one fumble recovery to go along with 50 tackles. This guy has a bright future. Grade: B+

Round 2: Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    Started every game as a rookie, but not a big statistical impact (20 receptions, 1 TD). Did a decent job blocking. Showed skills that merit a bigger role in the future. Grade: B

Round 3: Claude Wroten, DT, LSU
    Saw limited action as understudy to L'Roi Glover. Word is that the coaches like him, and he should see more action in the future. The talent is there, hopefully it will show up on the field next year. Grade: C

Round 3: Jon Alston, OLB, Stanford
    Somewhat mysteriously failed to make active roster for most of the season. With all the talk of experimenting with him at SS, he never really saw action in this role. Hopefully he'll blossom like former college teammate O.J. Atogwe in his second season. Grade: D

Round 3: Dominique Byrd, TE, USC
    Until week 16, when he finally broke through with a nice TD catch, his only newsworthy move was a brawl at a bar. He'll need to prove himself next year or this could be a short stay in St. Louis. Grade: D-

Round 4: Victor Adeyanju, DE, Indiana
    Big Victor was thrown into action early after AWOL DE Tony Hargrove was traded. Had some good moments, particularly in run support. Needs to develop as a pass rusher and may only be a rotation player in the long run. Grade: B

Round 5: Marques Hagans, RB/WR, Virginia
    Converted college QB was unable to make transition and win the PR job he was drafted to fill. Kept on the practice squad. Will get one more chance in training camp, but is a longshot. Grade: F

Round 6: NO PICK

Round 7: Tim McGarigle, MLB, Northwestern
    Failed to make the team. Spent year on practice squad. Grade: D

Round 7: Mark Setterstrom, OG, Minnesota
    Made active roster and became a starter. Performed well and could be part of the Rams line of the future. Excellent value for Round 7. Grade: B+

Round 7: Tony Palmer, OG, Missouri
    Did not make active roster and was picked up by Green Bay. Grade: D

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Grades for the 2006 Rookie Class

not sure the criteria you are using here, but i wonder if there was a single 7th round pick from all 32 teams that had a bigger impact than setterstrom, who played very well as a starter in several games. I give that pick an A plus.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    not sure the criteria you are using here, but i wonder if there was a single 7th round pick from all 32 teams that had a bigger impact than setterstrom, who played very well as a starter in several games. I give that pick an A plus.
    Marques Colston, WR, Saints: Played in 14 games total statring 12 of them, 70 catches for 1038 yards and 8 TDs, potential Rookie of the Year candidate

Terrance Pennington, RT, Bills: 9 starts and 11 total games, 1 penalty, 2 sacks allowed

Jarrad Page, S, Chiefs: Played in 14 games as a back-up with two additional starts, 26 tackles, 1 sack, 3 INTs, 8 passes defensed

Ryan Plackemeier, P, Seahawks: Played full season for Seattle, 84 punts for 3778 yards (avg 45 yards), 25 inside the 20, net average = 37.3 yards
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think a B+ is a pretty good score for any player. Perhaps I could have given him an A-, but I don't want him to get cocky.

general counsel is offline Registered User

thanks nick for the data on those other guys. it never ceases to amaze me how for all the research that goes into the nfl draft, guys slip through to round 7 every year and still can materially contribute right off the bat.

ramming speed to all

general counsel