Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Mock Offseason (Version 1.0)

Here's my dream scenario for the Rams' offseason.

Draft

Round 1: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    Though he has not demonstrated elite pass-rushing skills in college, I think he can develop into the Rams' version of Justin Tuck - a player who can be equally effective at DE and UT. There's a legacy here, too, as he is the son of the late Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who spent a couple of years with the Rams.

Round 2: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    I'm sure Sam would love to have his old Sooner teammate to throw to. Broyles is fast and productive, and can make the big play. Adding him to my top FA acquisition would make the Rams' passing game feared throughout the league

Round 3: Jordan Todman, RB, UConn
    Before you say it... YES, I know he might not last until Round 3. However, given that he is a "small back," I'm hoping that he does. Todman would be the perfect compliment/understudy for Steven Jackson.

Rest of the Draft: The Rams could use the rest of the draft to bolster the OLB, OG, SS and CB positions.

Free Agency

Sydney Rice, WR, Vikings
    Rice is my big prize for free agency. He would give the Rams a true "number 1" type WR, and is young enough to merit giving a long contract. He's also a Red Zone monster, which would be nice to have.

Barry Cofield, DT, Giants
    Cofield is a steady and productive player who was "raised" in Steve Spagnuolo's system. Reuniting him with Fred Robbins would be a nice fit. Given that the Giants must also resign Matthias Kiwanuka, Cofield may be available.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Av's Mock Offseason (Version 1.0)

That would be a nice off-season indeed. However, I have to point out the Heyward pick is a big mistake. Drafting a defensive player who is the son of a tough as nails professional athlete has NEVER worked out. Oh, excuse me, the doorbell is ringing.

(walks to door)

Oh Mr. Long, Mr. Laurinaitis, how are you fellas doin........oh god, no, stop pummeling me; no, I don't bend that way; ahhhhh.

Okay, all kidding aside. I personally like the Heyward pick; though I'm betting the 3-4 teams out there have an eye on him. And I love the Broyles pick, if for no other reason that the familiarity factor. Nice tier A, tier B, combo in free agency will be nice as well.
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

That looks good to me i would be very satisfied if our offseason turned out like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't really see Spags drafting a DE/DT in the first round. The guy works with literally nothing and turns it into something special. Also, I feel like WR is clearly our biggest need this offseason. Although Broyles is a good pick, I would rather have Blackmon in round 1. I guess we will have to wait and see. And gheez, I am excited for the end of this year but especially next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I don't really see Spags drafting a DE/DT in the first round. The guy works with literally nothing and turns it into something special. Also, I feel like WR is clearly our biggest need this offseason. Although Broyles is a good pick, I would rather have Blackmon in round 1. I guess we will have to wait and see. And gheez, I am excited for the end of this year but especially next year.
    I like Blackmon too, but in my scenario, in which the Rams acquire Sydney Rice in FA, I think it would be unlikely they would take a WR in Round 1.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I love all of your choices but I'm a little worried about waiting too late to address OLB. There may be some good OLB depth in the later rounds but I think it is important to give JL some help.

The quality in the middle drops considerably from JL to Diggs and also from Diggs to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I love all of your choices but I'm a little worried about waiting too late to address OLB. There may be some good OLB depth in the later rounds but I think it is important to give JL some help.

The quality in the middle drops considerably from JL to Diggs and also from Diggs to everyone else.
    Aye, there's the rub.

It is difficult to address everything in one offseason. No doubt my plan would rely on the ability for a deeper and more talented DL to make life easier for the LBs (and, perhaps, we'll find some LB talent in the later rounds of the draft).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I like the direction you're heading, and that would be a very nice pull in free agency, but I'm not very high on Heyward as a selection for the Rams. I've not been particularly impressed with what I've seen of him this season, and I think you could make the case that he's more of a five-technique end than anything at the NFL level. Based on where the Rams are slotted to pick, Heyward would probably be good value but at this point I'd rather see the Rams look elsewhere.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I don't mind the Heyward pick, but I would rather have Fairley or Quinn if he drops due to Da'Quan Bower's rise.

I wouldn't mind Broyles, he is a playmaker. Him and Rice would make a huge addition to our WR group.

Broyles is a true slot guy, and he would wreck havoc because he is more explosive, faster, quicker, and more consistent than Amendola.

Rice would be a true #1 receiver with his size/speed combination and catching ability.

With either Clayton/Avery/Alexander as the flanker, we would have a dangerous passing attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I I think you could make the case that he's more of a five-technique end than anything at the NFL level.
    I think many would agree with that, but I can't help but think that Spags would really like a guy who can be moved around between the DE and UT spot in the way Tuck was. Probably the prospect who would best fit that role is Allan Bailey from UM, but...

Based on where the Rams are slotted to pick, Heyward would probably be good value but at this point I'd rather see the Rams look elsewhere.
    That's the problem in a nutshell. If the Rams make the playoffs, as we all hope they will, they will be selecting in the 20s, which means they won't have a shot at some of the top prospects.

For the record, my current "Big 5" is:

1. A.J. Green
    2. Julio Jones
    3. Justin Blackmon
    4. Bruce Carter
    5. Allan Bailey

swatter555 is offline Registered User

If we can actually land Sidney Rice, I see no need for a WR the first 3 rounds. With Clayton coming back and Avery being dirt cheap (not to mention Amendola), I think we could sit tight for a year on that position. Our biggest needs are on defense, but the offensive line could still use some love too (especially if we want to run first).

FestusRam is offline Registered User

i agree with most of this mock and I'm really hoping they pick up Greenway at OLB so we can use an earlier round on other needs

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's my dream scenario for the Rams' offseason.

Round 3: Jordan Todman, RB, UConn
    Before you say it... YES, I know he might not last until Round 3. However, given that he is a "small back," I'm hoping that he does. Todman would be the perfect compliment/understudy for Steven Jackson.
    If Todman's gone by our pick in rd three, what about another little guy - say Noel Devine?

I like Devine. I don't think he will ever be an "every down" back, but he would be a nice change of pace guy.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

IF rice hits free agency it would be interesting and it would be great if we can pick him up.

The heyward pick is interesting. He is big which is a plus and spags can groom him into a pass-rush DE or we can put him at UT to push the guards back and get penetration i love the versatility. But i would only get him if Jones and green are off the board which is very likely.

Im not a fan of the broyles pick thou. Yes he has experience with Bradford but if we get him that means we would not re-sign Clayton and trade avery because all three play similarly.

I like todman he would be a good fit in our offense because he can catch the ball and would be a good screen option for Bradford but its his size. Remember Billy D said when he got hired we want to get bigger more physical. Not sure how Billy D will rate him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast