Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's Pre-Combine 4 Round Rams Mock

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Pre-Combine 4 Round Rams Mock

Here's my current projection (which will likely change after the Combine):

Round 1 (#16): D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    The Rams need a RT, and Fluker may be the best prospect at this position in the draft. I expect that Luke Joekel, Eric Fisher, Chance Warmack and Kenny Vaccaro will all be gone by this point in the draft. Other OTs, such as Lane Johnson and Dallas Thomas, should still be available, but I think Fluker is the cream of the remaining RT crop.

Round 1 (#22): Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    I'm expecting Danny Amendola to price himself out of the Rams' market. This will leave a gap in the position of Sam's Safety Net/Chain Mover. The best option for this role is not another slot, WR, but rather at TE like Eifert, who can bully DBs for position on those pesky 3rd and 6 situations.

Round 2 (#46): Travis Frederick, OG/C, Wisconsin
    Frederick is a guy I expect to rise on many draft boards. He is a 338 lb. mauler who can play any of the interior OL positions. This is a great move for the Rams, as Frederick could compete for a starting OG spot, while providing valuable insurance if Scott Wells is not healthy.

Round 3 (#78): Philip Thomas, S, Fresno State
    The Rams will gamble a bit that they can wait until Round 3 to take a safety, given the depth at the position. This will pay off with the selection of Thomas, who is a Jeff Fisher-style ball hawk with great size (6'1, 215) for the position.

Round 4 (#110): Corey Fuller, WR, VaTech
    The Rams add more speed at the WR position with the selection of Fuller, who could have one of the faster 40 times at the Combine. He's a bit raw and inexperienced, but should be able to make some plays in the manner that Chris Givens did last year.

------

What this mock accomplishes: The Rams' O line would be downright nasty with the addition of two huge blockers like Fluker and Frederick. Eifert would be a valuable addition to the receiving corps, while Fuller would be a bit of a wild card. Thomas would be an instant starter.

What this mock leaves undone: The Rams would be relying on an extremely young receiving corps, though that may be unavoidable. As I have not addressed the OLB spot, the Rams would have to hope that a potential starter can be found in Round 5 or in the FA market. Other options for Rounds 5-7 would be depth at DT and perhaps another safety.
    RamsSB99 and ManofGod like this.

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Pre-Combine 4 Round Rams Mock

From the stuff I'm reading I might go with Lane Johnson at 16, but wouldn't be upset if Fluker were the pick. I'd really like to see Larry Warford in round 2, but the way his stock is rising he might not be there when the Rams pick.
    Really like Thomas in round 3, but like Warford I wonder if he'll still be on the board at that point.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good mock AV, as always. I would hate to have to listen to the pundits trash us if we took Fluker with Lane Johnson still on the board at #16. Fluker's stock has been dropping of late, while Johnson's has been on the rise. The Combine will certainly sort that out. I know our need is at RT, but when was a purely RT taken that early? I love the other picks. Fredrick out of Wisconsin is great, the program is a great one finding OL in my opinion and your rationale is perfect. I know nothing about Fuller, so I'll watch for him at the Combine. Eifert makes a lot of sense as he can play outside as well as he's extremely athletic. I keep flipping between him and Ertz.

The area you haven't addressed is RB, pending SJax's contract negotiations. Today for the first time I saw a mock with us taking Eddie Lacy at #22. The reason given was Fisher likes the tough type of runner that Lacy exemplifies. I don't exactly disagree with that selection as I had speculated on that myself recently given the reality of SJax and our available FA $. I look forward to your post-Combine mock based on what we learn from that.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Good mock AV, as always. I would hate to have to listen to the pundits trash us if we took Fluker with Lane Johnson still on the board at #16. Fluker's stock has been dropping of late, while Johnson's has been on the rise. The Combine will certainly sort that out. I know our need is at RT, but when was a purely RT taken that early? I love the other picks. Fredrick out of Wisconsin is great, the program is a great one finding OL in my opinion and your rationale is perfect. I know nothing about Fuller, so I'll watch for him at the Combine. Eifert makes a lot of sense as he can play outside as well as he's extremely athletic. I keep flipping between him and Ertz.

The area you haven't addressed is RB, pending SJax's contract negotiations. Today for the first time I saw a mock with us taking Eddie Lacy at #22. The reason given was Fisher likes the tough type of runner that Lacy exemplifies. I don't exactly disagree with that selection as I had speculated on that myself recently given the reality of SJax and our available FA $. I look forward to your post-Combine mock based on what we learn from that.

Go Rams!
    Thanks for the comments.

I think that a team looking for a LT would prefer Johnson over Fluker. In our case, I believe that the plan is to go with Saffold at LT for at least one more year, so I'd go with a true RT prospect in Fluker. I agree that #16 is a bit early for the position, but the OT crop is pretty thin with guys like Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewan returning to school, so I think its the right slot for Fluker.

As for RB, I am definitely hoping that SJax returns. If he doesn't, it won't surprise me to see the Rams try to find a "diamond in the rough" on Day 3 of the draft to add to the Committee of Richardson and Pead.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I like it. Ultimately, I don't know if the Rams spend two of their first three picks on OL, but if the value is there, it's certainly possible with two major holes on the line.

I really think Thomas will be intriguing for the Rams at the safety position. Such a turnover generator last season, and seems to fit what they're looking for opposite of Mikell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I like it. Ultimately, I don't know if the Rams spend two of their first three picks on OL, but if the value is there, it's certainly possible with two major holes on the line.

I really think Thomas will be intriguing for the Rams at the safety position. Such a turnover generator last season, and seems to fit what they're looking for opposite of Mikell.
    Thanks. I don't know if this is what the Rams would do either, but the idea of an O line of Saffold, Frederick, Wells, Dahl and Fluker (with Rok Watkins ready to step in at OG and Frederick providing backup for Wells) sounds really good to me.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If you look at the offense, and determine that the bodies that we have at WR currently(Plus a resigning or FA add) can start and be successful if the offensive line does a better job at forming a pocket and protecting Sam, then I absolutely think that this is something that could happen. If the value is there for OL between Fluker(whom I like at 16 if the OT demands continue to push up, or definitely at 22), Warford, Warmack, Johnson(Ravens never had a real set RT/LT right until then end this year), and whomever else, I'll take two in the first three picks.

When you have no depth, suddenly feeling too deep is fine by me.
    MauiRam likes this.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Its not bad. It definitely goes after our needs, but I've got my own preferences. I'd rather Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, and Larry Warford.

I do like the Thomas pick. He reminds me of a Michael Griffin type of player. Bad angles, not a good tackler, but a terrific centrefielder.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams
    Its not bad. It definitely goes after our needs, but I've got my own preferences. I'd rather Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, and Larry Warford.

I do like the Thomas pick. He reminds me of a Michael Griffin type of player. Bad angles, not a good tackler, but a terrific centrefielder.
    You crack me up, Sosa. We'll all try harder to meet your standards.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You crack me up, Sosa. We'll all try harder to meet your standards.
    I'm not asking you to do anything. I just have preferances over some of the guys you took. Thats my opinion. Nowhere did I say I didn't like your draft. I think Thomas can be an excellent player in the league. Not to mention the Eifert addition would be huge, as well as Fluker. I'm high on most of your prospects, but if it was my choice I'd switch it up.

In round 2, are you anticipating Larry Warford to be gone? Or do you prefer Frederick to Warford?

THE DREAM TEAM

I prefer Frederick.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Would not complain one bit if we solidify our O-line. This seems like a good draft to do it in and we are in great position with respective prospects to do it for years to come. Sam not on his back or rushed as much + better run blocking = more continued drives and points.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Love the Fluker, Eifert and Thomas picks. Hoping we can get Fluker with another pick besides our #16, but might have to.
    Not bad. dont know a lot about Frederick or Fuller though. Will have to do some more research.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

The thing I like the rounds and positions you picked the players in. I would like to see two offensive lineman selected in the first three picks. I think we need one starter right tackle starter that can step right in. We also need another good G/C type which could step in this year. This would solifiy our line this year and protect us against two possible losses next year in Saffold and HarveyDahl (maybe cut?). I also think we need a pass catcher as the other pick out of our first three which Eifert would fit. I like the idea of taking safeties in rounds 3 and later because I think we can find a starter in round 3 and decent safeties all the way through the draft. I like that you came back with another pass catcher in the 4th as well.

Here was my draft I posted.
    1 (16) Lane Johnson OT 6'6 305
    1 (22) Jonathan Cooper G/C 6'3 310

2 Terrance Williams WR 6'2 205 Alternates: Woods, Dobson, Hunter, Rogers

3 Baccari Rambo FS 6'0 220
    4 Stephan Taylor RB 5'10 216
    5 DeVonte Holloman OLB 6'2 245 Alternate: Lerentee McCray OLB 6'2 250
    6 Zach Sudfeld TE 6'6 265
    7 Cooper Taylor SS 6'4 230 Alternate: Ray Ray Armstrong SS 6'4 220

I dont know about taking a TE so early in the draft with WR being a bigger need IMO. Kendricks is coming along nicely as a blocking and pass catching TE. I would like another pass catching TE as well but I dont think that would make as much of an impact as a good WR. With that said I would be very happy with your first four rounds.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-21-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    The thing I like the rounds and positions you picked the players in. I would like to see two offensive lineman selected in the first three picks. I think we need one starter right tackle starter that can step right in. We also need another good G/C type which could step in this year. This would solifiy our line this year and protect us against two possible losses next year in Saffold and HarveyDahl (maybe cut?). I also think we need a pass catcher as the other pick out of our first three which Eifert would fit. I like the idea of taking safeties in rounds 3 and later because I think we can find a starter in round 3 and decent safeties all the way through the draft. I like that you came back with another pass catcher in the 4th as well.

Here was my draft I posted.
    1 (16) Lane Johnson OT 6'6 305
    1 (22) Jonathan Cooper G/C 6'3 310

2 Terrance Williams WR 6'2 205 Alternates: Woods, Dobson, Hunter, Rogers

3 Baccari Rambo FS 6'0 220
    4 Stephan Taylor RB 5'10 216
    5 DeVonte Holloman OLB 6'2 245 Alternate: Lerentee McCray OLB 6'2 250
    6 Zach Sudfeld TE 6'6 265
    7 Cooper Taylor SS 6'4 230 Alternate: Ray Ray Armstrong SS 6'4 220

I dont know about taking a TE so early in the draft with WR being a bigger need IMO. Kendricks is coming along nicely as a blocking and pass catching TE. I would like another pass catching TE as well but I dont think that would make as much of an impact as a good WR. With that said I would be very happy with your first four rounds.
    Nice job on that mock. I approve!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast