Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's Pre-Combine 4 Round Rams Mock

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Pre-Combine 4 Round Rams Mock

That would be one massive OL especially if H. Dahl or Wells went down with injury and Rok steped in at guard.

LT –Rodger Saffold 6’5 325 23
    LG– Rokevious Watkins 6’4 340 23
    C - Travis Frederick 6'4 340, Scott Wells 6’4 300 32
    RG– Harvey Dahl 6’5 305 30, Travis Frederick 6'4 340
    RT - DJ Fluker 6'6 335

That OL would have to be nicknamed the nasty boys. Saffold, Rok, Fredrick, and Fluker would be 325+ maulers and Dahl has always been none to have a nasty streak.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -02-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    That would be one massive OL especially if H. Dahl or Wells went down with injury and Rok steped in at guard.

RT - DJ Fluker 6'6 335

That OL would have to be nicknamed the nasty boys. Saffold, Rok, Fredrick, and Fluker would be 325+ maulers and Dahl has always been none to have a nasty streak.
    I wouldn't mind grabbing Fluker in the 1st round, but I think getting Frederick in the 2nd would be overkill, especially when we have a pretty good C (Scott Wells) already in place. If we wan't a versatile OL we might as well get Barrett Jones from Alabama: he could play anywhere on the line and he's one of the smartest linemen in the draft. Honestly though, if the Rams go OL and TE in the 1st round, I'd rather go for a WR or Safety in the 2nd round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I wouldn't mind grabbing Fluker in the 1st round, but I think getting Frederick in the 2nd would be overkill, especially when we have a pretty good C (Scott Wells) already in place.
    Frederick projects as a C or an OG.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Frederick projects as a C or an OG.
    We still have Rok at LG though, I'd like to see if OL coach Paul Boudreau could sculpt him into the kind of player we all thought when we drafted him in the 5th round.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

We still have Rok at LG though, I'd like to see if OL coach Paul Boudreau could sculpt him into the kind of player we all thought when we drafted him in the 5th round.
    I absolutely agree, Vinnie, and that is why I generally think that we should avoid a guard prospect in the first few rounds unless someone too good to pass up falls in our laps(like Warmack, or Frederick/Warford in the 2nd). I'd also trust our coaches to draft a guard and kick Dahl out to RT if we don't like the available tackle prospects available to us in the first two rounds.

For everyone who says that WR is a pressing need in the first round, I want to ask why. Obviously, we need to give Sam targets who will get open and then catch the ball. But why is it position specific? We have multiple young wide receivers, who need to continue to develop. I personally think that they could use an older mentor type receiver who will still give Sam a good target, but can also teach up our youngsters. Continuing to hope that we catch fire with a first year receiver seems like betting the rent money on the lottery, especially when we won a "pick 3" with our good production from Givens last year.

I'm absolutely pro-TE early on because I think that it gives us a starting lineup that can do just about anything, at any time, and prepares us for the future while also helping here and now. A 2 TE set can run and pass with ease, while not giving away what we're planning to do. They can max protect or they can spread out the defense. The new breed of TE's are creating huge matchup issues all over the field and are creating openings for the entire offense. Getting a big time receiving TE to pair with a jack of all trades Kendricks would give us a flexible offense that the defense can't predict, which will slow down the pass rush and reaction time of the defense, helping Sam out more than just getting another outside target.
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind grabbing Fluker in the 1st round, but I think getting Frederick in the 2nd would be overkill, especially when we have a pretty good C (Scott Wells) already in place. If we wan't a versatile OL we might as well get Barrett Jones from Alabama: he could play anywhere on the line and he's one of the smartest linemen in the draft. Honestly though, if the Rams go OL and TE in the 1st round, I'd rather go for a WR or Safety in the 2nd round.
    I wouldn't mind looking at Barrett Jones in the 3rd. He isn't the best prospect in the world, but he is solid and can step in at any position on the line. I wouldn't mind seeing him at LG (typically this is your smaller guard whereas your RG is bigger).

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I wouldn't mind looking at Barrett Jones in the 3rd.
    Well, sure... considering most have him slotted in Round 2, he certainly would be a good value in the middle of Round 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post

RT - DJ Fluker 6'6 335

Interestingly, Frederick weighed in at the Combine under 320. I think he probably has worked to drop a few pounds so he'll be considered at C, as 340 lb. centers are rare. I still really like him as a 2 position prospect.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, sure... considering most have him slotted in Round 2, he certainly would be a good value in the middle of Round 3.
    I've read a few things about nobody in the league having him graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder, so I'd definitely be open to looking in the 3rd.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I've read a few things about nobody in the league having him graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder, so I'd definitely be open to looking in the 3rd.
    Hard to project his spot right now. Before his foot (lisfranc) surgery, he was projected as a late-first or second round pick by most. Now, everyone is just guessing. Seems to me that if he's really an injury risk, he should probably not be considered until Sunday of draft weekend. If those concerns are allayed, he will probably be selected before the Rams make their third round pick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12