AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Pre-Combine/Pro Days QB Ranking

Here's how I rank the QB prospects going into the pre-draft testing season:

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma [STEADY]
    If Bradford has recovered from his shoulder injury, I think he is firmly entrenched as the No. 1 QB in the draft. He has the size, accuracy and quick release that scouts look for in a QB prospect. I don't know if the Rams will consider him as a potential first pick, but he'll be gone within the first ten.

2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame [STEADY/FALLING]
    Right now, I have Clausen as the clear No. 2 QB, and a likely top 20 pick. I do think, however, that he might not measure up in either the height or arm strength categories. He also will have to overcome the perception of immaturity. If he has a good testing season, he'll stay right where he is, and could be taken as early as picks 5-10. If not, he could drop into the second round.

3. Colt McCoy, Texas [FALLING]
    Fair or not, the most recent memories people will have about McCoy are him being rag-dolled, first by Ndamukong Suh and then by the Alabama defense. Meanwhile, other QBs below him have had good showings in the bowl games and All-Star games. Still, if he can show reasonable arm strenth when he works out (I believe he is going to throw at the Combine), he should stop the falling trend and hold firm as the third QB off the board, probably in Round 2 of the draft.

4. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan [STEADY/RISING]
    I would have given LeFevour a grade of "rising" if no for his questionable decision not to throw at the Combine. Still, after his performances at the GMAC Bowl and the Senior Bowl, he is a prospect on the rise. I think he's a Round 2 or 3 prospect right now, but could be firmly within Round 2 (or even late first round) by April.

5. Tony Pike, Cincinnati [FALLING]
    Pike is a hot and cold prospect. Watch some of his game films, and he looks like a Blue Chip prospect. Then, watch some more, and he looks like a college/system QB who is not quite ready for Prime Time. I think there will be quite a bit of scrutiny of Pike in the coming weeks, and my gut tells me he might not fare so well. I expect he'll be gone by the end of Round 3, but he might last until Round 4.

6. Levi Brown, Troy [RISING]
    I may be alone on this one, but I think Brown could be this draft's biggest sleeper. Watch his game film, and you could easily conclude that he has a better arm than Clausen, McCoy, LeFevour and Pike. He also has ideal size. Right now, most probably have him ranked as a 4th or 5th round pick, at best. I think he could be a Round 2 or 3 value.

7. Jarrett Brown, West Virginia [STEADY/RISING]
    Brown opened some eyes with his Senior Bowl performance. I think he is a prospect on the rise as a result, and could be selected as early as Round 4. But, is he the QB equivalent of a workout wonder? His career 16 TDs and 13 Ints (11/9 last year) might suggest that the answer is yes.

8. Jevan Snead, Ole Miss [RISING]
    How can a QB who threw 20 interceptions in his final college season be rising? Well, I think its a cycle. There was a time he was considered a potential Round 1 or 2 prospect. Then he crashed down to Earth with some dismal performances in 2009. Now, in a sense, he can only go up. He certainly has the size and arm to wow the scouts, but I think he's a pretty big project.

9. Tim Hiller, Western Michigan [STEADY/RISING]
    Hiller, like Levi Brown, may be another example of an underrated prospect. He is big (6'5, 235) and had a very productive career (99 TD passses in 44 games). In all likelihood, he'll go in the 5th to 7th round. I don't know if he's a guy who will ever start, but I think he could be developed.

10. Tim Tebow, Florida [STEADY/FALLING]
    Tebow will likely be remembered as a cautionary tale for players who should avoid the Senior Bowl. Don't buy into the reports that he is changing his throwing style (or the nonsense that he's not trying to do so because of criticism). He is what he is - a good kid, a great athlete and not much of a QB. I suppose some team might still take a flyer on him way before he should be taken but, to me, he's a late round project.

Other notables not listed: Sean Canfield, Oregon; John Skelton, Fordham; Daryll Clark, Penn State; Max Hall, BYU
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-23-2010 at 06:44 PM.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Pre-Combine/Pro Days QB Ranking

How is Bradford ahead of Clausen BEFORE the Combine and Pro day?

Unless he proves that shoulder is fine he shouldn't be ahead of Clausen

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    How is Bradford ahead of Clausen BEFORE the Combine and Pro day?

Unless he proves that shoulder is fine he shouldn't be ahead of Clausen
    Only if you start from a presumption that his shoulder isn't fine and that he needs to prove otherwise. Every report I have read has indicated that his rehab is ahead of schedule. If his Pro Day demonstrates otherwise, then he'll be downgraded accordingly.

When healthy, I think the gap between Bradford and Clausen is pretty significant, so Clausen would have to really wow the scouts (which he won't have a chance to until his own injury heals) to move to my No. 1 spot.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree with the top five here. Bradford can cement his status at the top if he can get back into throwing condition before the draft. As long as doctors don't expect the injury to have lingering effects or increased chance of recurrence, he should go in the top ten.

As far as Tebow is concerned, I don't know whether he's the tenth best quarterback in this class or not, but I am pretty sure he's not going to be the tenth taken. If Pat White is a second round pick and Brad Smith is a fourth rounder, I'll split the difference and say someone will take him in the third if he's still on the board.

Re: Levi Brown, the Sun Belt is by far the worst conference in Division I football. That has to make it tough for teams to evaluate the film on him.

I agree that Tebow may very well be one of the top 5 QBs taken. All it takes is one team to see something in him that the other 31 don't.