Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Av's Rams 2013 Mock Offseason (Version 1.0)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams 2013 Mock Offseason (Version 1.0)

Here's something for the Rams to give thanks for... 3 of the top 40 picks in next year's draft!

Let me start by saying I am aware of just how early this is, but here is my first stab at a "mock offseason" of FA signings and draft choices (first 3 rounds).

I've tried to factor in price (for FAs), need, and player ratings. I've also tried to slot the draft choices in reasonable places, though it is way too early to truly know how high or low anyone will go.

Will all that, here's my plan:

FAs To Retain
    Danny Amendola (WR)
    Amendola is clearly Sam Bradford's favorite receiver right now, and I don't want to lose him. My first choice would be to sign him to a long-term deal that is reasonable ($5M-$6M per year). If that does not happen, I'd be inclined to pay him the franchise tag for one year while we develop other young receivers.

Bradley Fletcher (CB)
    You can never have too many CBs, and Fletcher has played fairly well when healthy. I would not break the bank for him, though.

FAs to Sign

Branden Albert, OT, Kansas City
    I think he'll be more attainable than Jake Long or Ryan Clady, and would be a major upgrade for the O line. The only question I have is... can you pay a guy like Albert and then play him at RT or, alternatively, can Rodger Saffold play RT?

Dashon Goldson, S, San Francisco
    The Rams need to upgrade the safety position, and doing so while at the same time taking a starter from the Niners would be a win/win.

Israel Idonije, DT/DE, Chicago
    I like Idonije as a rotation player who can play any of the four spots on the D line. He'd give the Rams a great DT rotation in particular, for the next several years.

Draft Choices (Rounds 1 - 3)

Round 1 (No. 7): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    The Rams O lineman and, after Luke Joekel (who I believe will be taken in the top 5 picks), I have Warmack rated as the second best OL in the draft. The fact that he is a an OG rather than an OT should not matter.

Round 1 (No. 14): Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    Baylor WRs have been doing well in the NFL (Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon) and I think Williams has more talent than any of his predecessors. He is tall, fast, and has great hands (check out the catch he made against KSU last week).

Round 2 (No. 39): Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
    James Laurinaitis needs some help. Thomas is a big (6'4, 248) LB with good range. He would help the run defense immediately, and could also be used in blitz packages.

Round 3 (No. 71): Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA
    Red Zone troubles getting you down? How about adding a TE who is 6'7, 255 and has 16 TD receptions (out of 74 total receptions) over two years?

You may have noticed that I did not mention Steven Jackson. My feeling with SJax is that, if the Rams can get him back for a cap number in the $4M-$5M range, then he's worth at least one more year. If he wants to maximize his $ and go to a contender, I would wish him well and have no hard feelings. If he does leave, the Rams will probably need to add another back but, as guys like Daryl Richardson have demonstrated, bargains can be found at this position.

So there you have it. I'm sure I'll alter these picks several times but, right now, I'm content with these choices.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-21-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams 2013 Mock Offseason (Version 1.0)

This would be very acceptable, and I actually had an eye on your top three pick projections........so now I must go and get a CT to see whats ailing me!
    Semper Fi!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I would be thrilled with that offseason. Keep building for the future..gotta hope for some significant development from all these rookies we have this year too.

I was listening to an interview with Kevin Demoff the other day, and he said the Rams will be roughly $10 million under cap this next year because all the guaranteed money from Long and JL is in next year. His rationale was that due to the young age of the team, plus the 2 first-round picks, they want to clear as much space down the road as possible to keep the core together.

So Avenger I was curious if you had a guess at what the cost might be for these signings. I can't say I know much about these players or what the would cost on the open market.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I would be thrilled with that offseason. Keep building for the future..gotta hope for some significant development from all these rookies we have this year too.

I was listening to an interview with Kevin Demoff the other day, and he said the Rams will be roughly $10 million under cap this next year because all the guaranteed money from Long and JL is in next year. His rationale was that due to the young age of the team, plus the 2 first-round picks, they want to clear as much space down the road as possible to keep the core together.

So Avenger I was curious if you had a guess at what the cost might be for these signings. I can't say I know much about these players or what the would cost on the open market.
    Its hard to guess what it would cost for these players. My first impression is that $10M is not enough (not close, in fact) for the three players I listed. However, I'm not certain if that number includes the savings if SJax does not return.

There also could be opportunities to clear additional space. For example, if the Rams sign Goldson, they could let Mikell go potentially to offset the cost. Players can also rework contracts to clear cap space.

So, in the end, my "wish list" may be a bit too pricey, but its not completely beyond the realm of possibility.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

AV, Are you assuming that the Rams won't trade down again?

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    AV, Are you assuming that the Rams won't trade down again?
    No, I'm just not going to project trades at this point.

I wouldn't be shocked it the Rams do trade down, though.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Avenger,

I like what you project the Rams doing for the most part but I think there is no way in Hades they take a guard with the 7th pick in the first round. Heck, David DeCastro was considered to be the best guard to come out in 10 years or so and he went in the mid 20's to Pittsburgh.

Not only that but I believe that our starting left guard is already on the roster. I think that between Rok Watkins, Robert Turner, and/or Brandon Washington one of them will get the gig in 2013.

Is Chance Warmack a better prospect than any of these?
    Mebbe.....but the problem with taking a guy like Warmack at that spot is that there is no value in doing so.

If the Rams are seriously going to target Warmack then by all means they should either trade down or use their second first rounder to pick him.

We simply must maximize all of our picks and get the most value that we can. If we don't we can look forward to more losing seasons like the last 5 or so.

WHAT SAY YE?
    RockinRam and ManofGod like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post

I heard that to, he said they could sign one or two impact FA, not sure if that included Amendola, He did not even mention cap saving or resign SJ. SJ was 7 mil next year not sure what the cap saving would be if they don't resign him. So much for the 30 -40 Mil I thought we had next year.

Not only that but I believe that our starting left guard is already on the roster. I think that between Rok Watkins, Robert Turner, and/or Brandon Washington one of them will get the gig in
    I agree with this, Fisher on his show Monday said Turner has play very well at center and kind of hinted he will get moved to guard when Wells returns. So much still had to play out before we can get a handle on it.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

This one has me scratching my head....how do we not attack a young talented WR in FA??? In addition, Turner will do just fine at OG so why use the #7 pick on a OG???? Lastly, Williams is not a first round talent, and has done nothing to warrant him being the #14th pick. We have too many holes to fill to be reaching on guys, we have to be smart & take the BPA.

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    This one has me scratching my head....how do we not attack a young talented WR in FA???
    WRs can be very overpriced in FA, and I doubt the Rams will use their whole bank on a guy like Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace.

In addition, Turner will do just fine at OG
    He will? How do you know that?

Lastly, Williams is not a first round talent, and has done nothing to warrant him being the #14th pick.
    Really? 82 receptions, 1,518 yards (2nd in NCAA Division I) and 11 TDs is nothing?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'm not a huge fan. Love the addition of Albert at LT and Idonije as a rotational player. Goldson I don't like. I think he's average (same as Mikell), I'd rather pursue Tony Jefferson in the draft or someone like Louis Delmas in the FA market.

Not a fan of Terrance Williams either. He may be a good player, but there is no more space for "a potential #1" here. Either get us a true established #1, or roll with the crap we've got.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-23-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

It is way too early to start predicting draft picks, but I think the Rams will opt for a OT not a Guard in round 1. And that pick might be Taylor Lewan from Michigan. As good as Chance Warmack is (I've heard he is better than DeCastro) our needs are greater at OT than at OG, in my opinion.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    It is way too early to start predicting draft picks, but I think the Rams will opt for a OT not a Guard in round 1. And that pick might be Taylor Lewan from Michigan. As good as Chance Warmack is (I've heard he is better than DeCastro) our needs are greater at OT than at OG, in my opinion.

Go Rams!
    OT is a need but RT or LT? I have to see Rodger Saffold play the rest of the year before it's safe to say we need to spend a high first round pick on a LT.

RT we need an upgrade and if Rodger Saffold plays well at LT, why waste him on the right side. We can use a 3rd or 4th rd pick on a RT and draft a playmakers in the first.

Guard looks to be a need without having to see anymore. Turner may come in and play well but that being said he is our back up center. IMO we need to draft another guard but not in the first round.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    WRs can be very overpriced in FA, and I doubt the Rams will use their whole bank on a guy like Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace.

He will? How do you know that?

Really? 82 receptions, 1,518 yards (2nd in NCAA Division I) and 11 TDs is nothing?
    1. No one said anything about the "whole bank", let's hold off on that kind of talk until we hear official numbers being dished out.

2. If my memory serves me correctly, Turner was our starting OG in the beginning of the season & did a great job in the pre-season.

3. On average (on almost every draft site), Williams is the 4th best WR, and projected to go in the 2nd round, it is time out for reaching on guys; especially when 1st round pics are so valuable. In addition to reaching, why draft a guy at another position where we'll have to wait (on average) 2-3 years for him to develop??? At this point unless the guy is Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green then take a pass in the first round, the only time I will change my stance is next year when Marquise Lee is available.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

This is not a criticism of your mock, but as I look into my crystal ball I do not see Chance Warmack being taken in the top ten by any team. In fact, I'll guarantee he doesn't go top ten. Even with the rookie pay scale and a less than stellar draft class an OG is just not a premium enough position to warrant that high of a selection.

Fisher has yet to take an offensive lineman in the first round and if that were to change this year I'd bet on it being an OT (especially if we're picking at #7).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Are we really getting caught up in stats again? We already had this discussion regarding Blackmon last year. Stats aren't everything. Don't use it as the basis for your argument to draft a player.

Not saying Williams won't be a great player, but I can guarantee you it won't be because of the stats he puts up in college.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -11-22-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    ManofGod and sosa39rams like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast