Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Av's Rams 7 Round Mock (3/20/13)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams 7 Round Mock (3/20/13)

Here's my current projection, based upon who I think could be available, who I believe the Rams might be targeting, and who I hope they select:

Round 1 (#16): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    I'm about 50/50 on whether Warmack will make it this far, but he is, in my opinion, too good a prospect to pass up. He'd be an immediate starter and, along with the addition of Jake Long, would give the Rams the most talented OL its had in years.

Round 1 (#22): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    There are two things that Les Snead has said that make me think Austin could be the pick here. First, he has repeatedly stressed the need to acquire playmakers. Second, when asked about Mike Wallace, he stated "we already have that guy" (referring to Chris Givens). Well... we certainly don't have a guy like Austin.

Round 2 (#46): Eric Reid, S, LSU
    I love the idea of Reid at this spot. Another immediate starter and, in my opinion, a player who has been downgraded more than he should have been. Plus, he has the same type of physical attidude as Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson.

Round 3 (#78): Sio Moore, OLB, UConn
    My top sleeper (though his workouts have caused more and more people to notice him). Moore has the reputation of being very disciplined and has the ability to play both the strong and weak side. Also has some pass rush skills, which could be utilized in blitz packages.

Round 4 (#113): Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
    My top RB, Le'Veon Bell, should be long gone by this point, but the Rams get another young back for their stable here. Gillislee can run between the tackles, and has enough speed to break a big play. He'd compliment Richardson and Pead well, I believe.

Round 5 (#149): Earl Wolff, S, North Carolina State
    Similar to last year, when the Rams took two WRs and two RBs in the draft, the Rams go back to the well at safety. Wolff is an underrated prospect. He may not be a superstar, but he does everything well and has the speed (4.44 at the Combine) to guard against big plays.

Round 6 (#184): Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State
    Williams is a monster sized (6'2, 325) small school prospect. He turned some heads during Senior Bowl week, and could be a valuable addition to the Rams DL rotation.

Round 7 (#222): Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech
    You can never have too many CBs. Sweeting is a smart player who surprised with at 4.42 forty at the Combine. I like his potential as a special teams player and as depth in the DB.
    KoaKoi likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams 7 Round Mock (3/20/13)

Conceptually I really like you approach to attacking the draft ...I, along with probably everyone else, want different players and/or think different players will / won't be available at those spots, but I think it is important to see the "plan of attack".

The only conceptual point I disagree with is that there should be another WR taken (and taken in top 4 rounds)....
    Running Backs can be found easier in later rounds (unless they are T-Rich type) and Wrs are the weapons we need. Our defense will be good even if we don't add anyone but free agents...but our offensive attack needs weapons ---

I would go Warmack or Cooper but back it up with Woods and Dobson -- something like that...

Be once again ., we all like different players, its the 'scheme' that matters

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

I have to say that I like this draft a lot. The first three picks especially jump out at me. Warmack, Austin, and Reid would fill the the three of the biggest needs the Rams currently have. I would prefer another safety, such as Elam or Vaccaro, but I would have no qualms about getting Reid. Especially, if the the first two picks turned out this way. I think drafting a LB in the 4th round or sooner, like you mock here, is a good idea. I don't know much about Moore, but he seems like good value at that pick. Some nice picks to round out the draft as well. Good mock.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Conceptually I really like you approach to attacking the draft ...I, along with probably everyone else, want different players and/or think different players will / won't be available at those spots, but I think it is important to see the "plan of attack".

The only conceptual point I disagree with is that there should be another WR taken (and taken in top 4 rounds)....
    Running Backs can be found easier in later rounds (unless they are T-Rich type) and Wrs are the weapons we need. Our defense will be good even if we don't add anyone but free agents...but our offensive attack needs weapons ---

I would go Warmack or Cooper but back it up with Woods and Dobson -- something like that...

Be once again ., we all like different players, its the 'scheme' that matters
    I don't know if I agree with taking two WRs in the draft early. While the Rams could use as much talent as possible at the receiver position, the thought of two rookies, two 2nd year players, and a 3rd year player, and Jared Cook really scares me. I feel there is way too much inexperience. Not to say that is a bad thing, but I would prefer adding a veteran to this team just to help out the younger guys. Someone like Nate Washington to Devery Henderson would seem to fit the bill. Not that I'm locking on those two players, but guys that have been productive with some experience to boot.

richtree is offline Registered User

Devery Henderson or another guy of value would be fine....I should of said assuming we don't add someone of value before then....

Randart is offline Registered User

Nice Job on the selections and your ideas on where we may go in this draft AvR! You know I love your top 3 alot! As we are huge Eric Reid fans... I only hope we can get him! I do like the idea of two safeties a ton as I have been saying the same thing! Also would be nice to get two WR's as some suggest. I actually would prefer Wide outs to D-Linemen. At least for this year, as I think this class of recievers is pretty awesome just not a ton of top end but love the mid range. Not too happy with adding most of what is available in Free Agency to be honest... Over all a nice draft.

Last edited by Randart; -03-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I agree that the Rams need a playmaker. How do you see Austin in this offense. It is projected that he will see about 40 to 50% of plays. If you draft Austin then what do you do with Cook? Is Austin worth a 1st round pick if he will only see about half the snaps? I do realize Austin will help out in specail teams. But I just feel that the Rams have more of a need to get a everydown WR on the roster.

Also, anyone think the Rams may go with a TE. Can you see them line up Lance, Givens, Quick, Cook in the slot, and one of the top TE in this years draft. You have Given who can take the top off. Quick working the outside and three guys who can blow up the middle. Just my thoughts what you guys think?
    Last edited by CRAZYHORNS; -03-20-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    I agree that the Rams need a playmaker. How do you see Austin in this offense. It is projected that he will see about 40 to 50% of plays. If you draft Austin then what do you do with Cook? Is Austin worth a 1st round pick if he will only see about half the snaps? I do realize Austin will help out in specail teams. But I just feel that the Rams have more of a need to get a everydown WR on the roster.
    As I noted in another thread, you have to commit to being creative in using a guy like Austin. He can line up on the outside, as a flanker, in the slot, and in the backfield. The key is to find a way to get the ball in his hands in open space at least 5-6 times per game. He's a racehorse, not a workhorse.

Also, anyone think the Rams may go with a TE. Can you see them line up Lance, Givens, Quick, Cook in the slot, and one of the top TE in this years draft. You have Given who can take the top off. Quick working the outside and three guys who can blow up the middle. Just my thoughts what you guys think?
    I think Kendricks progressed towards the end of last year, and I don't see much of a need to add another TE (at least not in the top 4-5 rounds).

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I'd rather have Rambo in the 3rd round but darn it (and I can't believe I'm saying this) but the mock is not half bad.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Right there with you on this one. I think if Warmack's not there at #16, Cooper will be the pick. In case no one noticed, Robert Turner was signed yesterday by the Titans. For the Rams to let him walk they must be planning to draft a guard, so why not #1 or #1A.

Austin just doesn't strike as a Jeff Fisher type receiver. I worry he's too light to play and if he gains weight, will he be as fast? He does offer the kick/punt returner capabilities working in his favor.

If Reid isn't there for us, how do you feel about Cyprien? I'm with you on Reid because I prefer LSU players to FIU ones. As for Gillislee, does he receive well as we need to replace SJax's pass catching as well as his running.

Love the B. Williams pick. I thought I recall reading the Rams had their eye on him as he plays in their backyard. Overall great mock, I'm just not there on Austin as I'm clinging to Keenan Allen for the physicality that we'll need against our divisional CB's.

Go Rams!

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I would be more than happy with this mock. Personally I'm not that high on Austin as I would rather have more of a traditional WR, but I can understand why you do it. My question becomes our first selection though. As much as I would love Warmack falling to us, I just don't see him getting past teams like Arizona, Buffalo, Tennessee, San Diego who have OL needs. Who do you seeing us taking if he isn't around and does that change your board at all?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Sio Moore interesting pick works for me. Would sign off on this all day, not sure we could do much better.

2013 NFL Draft Prospects: Sio Moore Scouting Profile - Mile High Report

Chance Warmack might be there, I'm seeing more mocks with Cooper going higher then Warmack. I'd take either in a heart beat,

Tavon Austin would be a nice pick at 22, 10 touches a game, 5 on ST and 5 anyway we can get him the ball.

Second, when asked about Mike Wallace, he stated "we already have that guy" (referring to Chris Givens). I said this before and got slammed hmmmm....
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-20-2013 at 04:40 PM.

The two players I'm most hopeful of seeing on the board at #16 are Warmack and Cordarrelle Patterson, if they are both gone, I'd look at Cooper, D.J. Fluker (possibly with a trade of Saffold), Matt Elam and (depending on his Pro Day) Keenan Allen.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The two players I'm most hopeful of seeing on the board at #16 are Warmack and Cordarrelle Patterson, if they are both gone, I'd look at Cooper, D.J. Fluker (possibly with a trade of Saffold), Matt Elam and (depending on his Pro Day) Keenan Allen.
    All these guys are great picks. Allen for some reason reminds me of Keenan Burton. He's not that high on my board. If Austin is gone, I would rather wait until the second round and possibly the third to find a receiver. Sosa boy DeAndre Hopkins is starting to grow on me.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's my current projection, based upon who I think could be available, who I believe the Rams might be targeting, and who I hope they select:

Round 1 (#16): Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    I'm about 50/50 on whether Warmack will make it this far, but he is, in my opinion, too good a prospect to pass up. He'd be an immediate starter and, along with the addition of Jake Long, would give the Rams the most talented OL its had in years.

Round 1 (#22): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    There are two things that Les Snead has said that make me think Austin could be the pick here. First, he has repeatedly stressed the need to acquire playmakers. Second, when asked about Mike Wallace, he stated "we already have that guy" (referring to Chris Givens). Well... we certainly don't have a guy like Austin.
    If we could get both Warmack and Austin, that would be awesome - I'd stand on my head and spit wooden nickels! Do you really think Austin could drop as low as #22? Some are projecting him going before our 1st number one at the 16 spot. I do believe there is a chance of Warmack falling to us at #16, and if so, I hope we don't pass on him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast