Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Post-FA Signings; Version 4.0)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Post-FA Signings; Version 4.0)

Now that the first wave of FA is over, its time for an update.

First, here is how the FA comings and goings have impacted my boards:

Jared Cook (TE) signed
    As a result of this move, all TEs have come off my boards. With Cook and Lance Kendricks, the Rams are set at the position.

Jake Long (OT) signed
    I am not removing OTs entirely from the board, given that Rodger Saffold's contract runs out after this year. I am, however, placing a premum on prospects who fit the right side, or (on Day 2) could play OG or RT. That said, I think OT is a obviously less of a need position at this point.

William Hayes (DE), Jermelle Cudjo (DT) signed
    I have viewed DL as the Rams' lowest priority for a while now, and these signings only support that view. The only DL I'm considering at this point are elite DT prospects.

Steven Jackson (RB) signs with Falcons
    I'm not ready to project any RBs as first picks for the Rams, but I think RB is now a position that should be considered on Day 2.

Danny Amendola (WR) signs with Patriots
    Danny's departure has not impacted my boards very much, as Jared Cook will take over his role as the primary slot receiver.

Craig Dahl (S) signs with Niners
    Zero impact on my draft boards.

With those thoughts in mind, here are my current boards:

Rams Draft Board

1. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    3. Dion Jordon, OLB, Oregon
    4. Luke Joekel, OT, Texas A&M
    5. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    6. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    7. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    8. Xavier Rhodes, DB, FSU
    9. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    10. Matt Elam, S, Florida
    11. Keenan Allen, WR, California
    12. Eric Reid, S, LSU
    13. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    14. Sharif Floyd, DT, Florida
    15. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    16. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson

17. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    18. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

19. Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi
    20. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri

Day 2 Watch List

1. Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State

2. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
    3. Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
    4. Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon
    5. Travis Frederick, C/OG, Wisconsin
    6. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    7. Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
    8. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    9. Robert Woods, WR, USC
    10. Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU
    11. Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
    12. Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
    13. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    14. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina State
    15. Corey Fuller, WR, VaTech
    16. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
    17. Zavier Gooden, OLB, Missouri
    18. Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State
    19. Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
    20. Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Post-FA Signings; Version 4.0)

Quote Originally Posted by AV
    1. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama2. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    3. Dion Jordon, OLB, Oregon
    4. Luke Joekel, OT, Texas A&M
    5. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    Question, AV. There's a good number of mocks that are putting Cooper ahead of Warmack now. I "think" that is due to Cooper's performance at the Combine that eased any possible fears from the non-ZBS teams out there, as well as his ability to play all 3 interior positions. However, for the Rams specific needs, I (and apparently you) prefer Warmack to Cooper. But (and here's the question), do you see any big differences between Warmack and Cooper that might separate them?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

For me, it just comes down to what I saw on Saturdays in the Fall. Every time I saw Warmack play, it seemed like he was pushing a defender 10 yards back on a running play. Cooper is a guy who looked good, but never jumped off the screen like that for me.

So, while I view them both as Blue Chip prospects, I think Warmack is more of a rare commodity.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    MauiRam and Randart like this.

One omission I feel I must comment on, and that's Lane Johnson.

I dropped him because I view him as a guy who fits best at LT, and probably will need time to develop. As a result, I just don't see a scenario in which I would take him.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

One of the discussions I find most interesting is the decision on which WR to draft. I've seen all three of your top guys projected to us at 16 in various mocks. Care to expand on why you think it should go Patt-Allen-Austin?

(For what it's worth, I'd go Patt-Austin-Allen)

general counsel is offline Registered User

Av, can you articulate why you think Elam and Reid are better fits than Vaccaro. I am not being critical, i lack the expertise to have a view, but obviously safety is a need so i am trying to understand why you put them in the order you did.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    One of the discussions I find most interesting is the decision on which WR to draft. I've seen all three of your top guys projected to us at 16 in various mocks. Care to expand on why you think it should go Patt-Allen-Austin?

(For what it's worth, I'd go Patt-Austin-Allen)
    Patterson seems to me to be the guy with the most star potential, given his size and speed combination.

Allen, if he gets over his knee issue (which I believe is fairly minor), strikes me as the guy who might be the best "plug and play" prospect.

Austin is the wild card. I like the idea of having someone who is a threat every time he touches the ball. While there could be some redundancy with Cook in the slot, I think that there will be ways to get him the ball.

At this point, Patterson is the only player at the position I think has separated himself significantly. For me, the gap between Allen and Justin Hunter (the last WR in my top 20) is very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Av, can you articulate why you think Elam and Reid are better fits than Vaccaro. I am not being critical, i lack the expertise to have a view, but obviously safety is a need so i am trying to understand why you put them in the order you did.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    In today's NFL, with TEs who run 4.5s and QBs running the ball more than ever, I think speed is key at the safety position. All three of the top safeties ran at the Combine, and these were their official times:

Eric Reid: 4.53
    Matt Elam: 4.54
    Kenny Vaccaro: 4.63

In my mind, given how closely I had these three ranked before the Combine, those results are key.

Rambos is offline Registered User

You have Eric Reid higher then Kenny Vaccaro, what do you see in Reid to project him higher?

Matt Elam, do you see him as more of a box safety or free safety? If we re-sign Quintin Mikell would you change this order?

I had us waiting until the fourth round to take a LB, after these free agent moves, I would not mind going LB as soon as the second.

If Fisher goes RB then he must not like what he has in Pead and or Ganaway if they pull the trigger I'm down with it BUT I hope that it's not the case after spending a second round on Pead last year.

I would not hesitated to sign D.J. Fluker in the first round. The Rams have not had any depth on the O line and have not stayed healthy in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You have Eric Reid higher then Kenny Vaccaro, what do you see in Reid to project him higher?

Matt Elam, do you see him as more of a box safety or free safety? If we re-sign Quintin Mikell would you change this order?
    See my comments above regarding Reid/Elam v. Vaccaro.

I don't think Elam is limited to the "in the box" role. I see him as a well-rounded safety prospect.

I had us waiting until the fourth round to take a LB, after these free agent moves, I would not mind going LB as soon as the second.
    No doubt that the signings open up some possibilities, including taking a LB much earlier.

If Fisher goes RB then he must not like what he has in Pead and or Ganaway if they pull the trigger I'm down with it BUT I hope that it's not the case after spending a second round on Pead last year.
    I don't see it that way. Taking Ganaway, who has yet to play a down, out of the equation, I think the Rams still need a "between the tackles" runner.

I would not hesitated to sign D.J. Fluker in the first round. The Rams have not had any depth on the O line and have not stayed healthy in years.
    To me, Fluker is the best pure RT in the draft. If the Rams selected him and then traded Saffold, I'd be fine with that.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To me, Fluker is the best pure RT in the draft. If the Rams selected him and then traded Saffold, I'd be fine with that.
    Assume this happens with us taking a Tackle in the 1st what is Saffold's trade value?

He has had medical setbacks and showed scheme inconsistency in Josh McD offense...I think if a team offered us a late 3rd round pick (championship contending team) Saffold is worth more to us next season than a 3rd rounder

Edit: when i say 3rd rounder i mean 2014 3rd
    Last edited by BarronWade; -03-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Assume this happens with us taking a Tackle in the 1st what is Saffold's trade value?

He has had medical setbacks and showed scheme inconsistency in Josh McD offense...I think if a team offered us a late 3rd round pick (championship contending team) Saffold is worth more to us next season than a 3rd rounder
    Its hard to estimate his value. I am of the opinion that the Rams would probably get their best deal during draft weekend, as a team could look at... say a 3rd round pick and ask themselves "is there anyone available that we like better than Rodger?"

If you are asking me whether I would take a 3rd round pick for Saffold after selecting Fluker, the answer is yes, I believe I would.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think the Rams still need a "between the tackles" runner.
    With that being said, could you see a scenerio where the Rams pick up a player like Franklin, who's shifty and has great vision? Secondly, I see Bell is at the top of your second day list. What stands out for him? Also, is it fair to say Lacy was a byproduct of a superb offensive line at Bama? I felt the backup RB flashed a lot more pro potential carrying for the Crimson Tide.

Lastly Av, I pose this question. With Xavier Rhodes listed as your 8th prospect, would he be considered a "luxury" pick if the Rams take him over a bigger need player? Jenkins showed progress outside, and I know Cortland could play inside or out, the jury is still out for Rhodes as a nickel DB. After Finnegans contract he would be one highly paid nickel corner to move into that full-time role.
    Last edited by eric2810; -03-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    lostsoul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    With that being said, could you see a scenerio where the Rams pick up a player like Franklin, who's shifty and has great vision? Secondly, I see Bell is at the top of your second day list. What stands out for him? Also, is it fair to say Lacy was a byproduct of a superb offensive line at Bama? I felt the backup RB flashed a lot more pro potential carrying for the Crimson Tide.
    I like Franklin, and I think he can run both inside and out. The book is still out on Lacy. I'll be curious to see how he does in his workouts. He also has a history of getting nicked up, which concerns me.

Lastly Av, I pose this question. With Xavier Rhodes listed as your 8th prospect, would he be considered a "luxury" pick if the Rams take him over a bigger need player? Jenkins showed progress outside, and I know Cortland could play inside or out, the jury is still out for Rhodes as a nickel DB. After Finnegans contract he would be one highly paid nickel corner to move into that full-time role.
    I guess that players like Milliner and Rhodes are "luxury" picks to a degree, but the saying that "you can never have too many good CBs" is more true today than ever. I also think that Rhodes has the size to be an outstanding FS if he'w willing to make the switch.

Randart is offline Registered User

One more thing of note AvR I believe Trufont could be gone by day 2... Also I have Reid very high on my safety list as I think he is best all around safety in the draft and still want both Reid and Tyrann M. for our future safeties! If we did draft the Honey Badger he can also play slot CB for us in case of injury! Love how you have J. Franklin high, also he is my fave back in the draft! Trully a threat in all areas of the field and so versatile... Maybe the most underrated player in the entire draft. I still think Fluker brings us the most upside but Cooper has alot to offer too being versatile interior lineman. Nice overall analysis mucho appreciatavos amigo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast