Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 2.0; Post-Senior Bowl)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 2.0; Post-Senior Bowl)

Here are my updated lists of my top 20 prospects for the Rams, and 20 players who (though I don't view them as players I'd target in Round 1) I'd like to see the Rams consider in Rounds 2 and 3.

Rams Draft Board

1. Luke Joekel, OT, Texas A&M
    2. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    3. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    4. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    5. Matt Elam, S, Florida
    6. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    7. Keenan Allen, WR, California
    8. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    9. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    10. Barrett Jones, OG/C, Alabama
    11. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    12. Eric Reid, S, LSU
    13. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    14. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    15. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    16. Dion Jordon, OLB, Oregon
    17. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    18. Xavier Rhodes, DB, FSU
    19. Coradelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    20. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Day 2 Watch List

1. Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
    2. Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
    3. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    4. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    5. Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
    6. D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
    7. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    8. Robert Woods, WR, USC
    9. Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee
    10. Travis Frederick, C/OG, Wisconsin
    11. Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
    12. Philip Thomas, S, Fresno State
    13. Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
    14. David Amerson, CB, North Carolina State
    15. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA
    16. Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
    17. Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas
    18. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    19. Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
    20. Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-29-2013 at 11:02 AM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 2.0; Post-Senior Bowl)

Pretty good list, though I'd put Mingo up on the 1st round list, probably about #10, and trade out Rhodes. Mingo would set us up to be able to run the 3-4 if we switch, and would replace Hayes as our 3rd pass rusher.

I'm also much cooler on Rambo after hearing him speak to Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan at the Senior Bowl. I don't mean to judge him solely on what he sounded like, but he was not polished with is speech(ok), but overall didn't even sound intelligent. Maybe he has football savvy that he couldn't get across, but the question was put into my mind. As a free safety, we'd be looking at him to make the right read on the play and make sure no one gets behind him. A mess up there is why the Broncos got eliminated from the playoffs. I'm expecting an 10-12 from his wonderlic. I'd take him in round 4, but no higher.

Replace him with Johnathan Franklin, RB from UCLA.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Pretty good list, though I'd put Mingo up on the 1st round list, probably about #10, and trade out Rhodes. Mingo would set us up to be able to run the 3-4 if we switch, and would replace Hayes as our 3rd pass rusher.
    Right now, I'm operating on the presumption that the Rams will stick with a 4-3. If they were to announce that they are moving to a 3-4, guys like Mingo, Jones and Jordan would all be rated higher.

As for Rhodes, I think he has the size and tools to make a great FS.

I'm also much cooler on Rambo after hearing him speak to Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan at the Senior Bowl. I don't mean to judge him solely on what he sounded like, but he was not polished with is speech(ok), but overall didn't even sound intelligent. Maybe he has football savvy that he couldn't get across, but the question was put into my mind. As a free safety, we'd be looking at him to make the right read on the play and make sure no one gets behind him. A mess up there is why the Broncos got eliminated from the playoffs. I'm expecting an 10-12 from his wonderlic. I'd take him in round 4, but no higher.
    I didn't hear the interview, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Replace him with Johnathan Franklin, RB from UCLA.
    My list currently only includes one RB. If SJax leaves, that will change significantly, and very well might result in my adding a guy like Franklin.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

With the possibility of our moving to a 3-4 going away "five minutes" ago, I'm not fully on board with not targeting Mingo as a potential 3-4 OLB. However, I would still have him in our top 20, as if he somehow lasted to #22, I'd snatch him up as our own Mathias Kiwanuka. He can play the Sam in the base set, using his block shedding skills to try to get into the backfield against the run, as well as sliding down to the line on pass rush sets as our third rusher if Hayes is not re-signed. I wouldn't aim to grab him, but if he's there, why not?

As for Rambo, he just didn't sound like he could describe what his role was short of "You know, uhhh... in a cover two... ummm... well I look into the ummm, backfield, and uhhh, watch the QB, ummm... and then I have to... um... get back... ummm... and defend the deep ball... uhhh, yeah." Ronde Barber the kid is not.
    I believe!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As for Rambo, he just didn't sound like he could describe what his role was short of "You know, uhhh... in a cover two... ummm... well I look into the ummm, backfield, and uhhh, watch the QB, ummm... and then I have to... um... get back... ummm... and defend the deep ball... uhhh, yeah." Ronde Barber the kid is not.
    At this point I don't care if he stutters "Ummmm" 15 times before saying Yes or No just as long as he can take a better angle at anything than Mr. Craig Dahl.
    lostsoul likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Nice list, certainly agree with your Top 20. Saw an interesting mock today that had us taking Vance McDonald in round 4, which is outside your consideration, but they rated him higher than Fauria due to Fauria's lack of blocking ability. Interesting that you have no DT's on either list. Realize we drafted a DT last at #1, but don't you think the Rams may have a DT on their wish list if he drops. Just a thought.

Go Rams!

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Not a fan of Rambo. I do like Vaccaro, Elam, Swearinger, and Cyprien though. I think at the end of the day it'll be Vaccaro in round 1 (would like it to be us), Elam in round 2, Swearinger in round 3, Cyprien in round 4 (can be a very nice steal for someone).

All I know is we have a huge hole at S and we need to fill it as soon as possible.

THE DREAM TEAM

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Great job, but I think your Rams draft board is based more on positional need than overall talent of the players. I mean obviously the Rams aren't going to draft a QB, but if a highly rated DL prospect like Bjoern Werner or Star Lotulelei falls I can see the Rams picking them up with the 16th pick. I like Vaccaro, but I don't think there is that much of a talent gap between him and someone you might be able to get in the 2nd round, especially if it means passing on someone with top 5-10 potential.

I would think that a DT would have to be an A+ to be considered by the Rams in Round 1. Of course, one might question whether a DT who lasts to pick #16 is likely to be an A+ prospect.

In my mind, our starters on the DL are set. We'll need some depth, particularly if Hayes leaves, but that can be acquired in later rounds.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Av you dropped Manti Te’o out of the first round? Dude why?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I would think that a DT would have to be an A+ to be considered by the Rams in Round 1. Of course, one might question whether a DT who lasts to pick #16 is likely to be an A+ prospect.

In my mind, our starters on the DL are set. We'll need some depth, particularly if Hayes leaves, but that can be acquired in later rounds.
    Fair enough, I buy your logic on the DT position. But then I must ask why you have Dee Milliner CB in your Top 20 Day 1 list when we have 2 adequate CB's with Trumaine Johnson/Bradley Fletcher (FA) in the wings. Plus you don't have Jonathan Banks on your Day 2-3 list either and he merits (I would think) at least that consideration. Lastly, your only RB is Le'Veon Bell. If we get a shot on day 2 for Eddie Lacy or Stepfon Taylor, if SJ leaves then they would at least have to considered, especially with Jeff Fisher's preference to run the ball.

That's the problem with these damn lists, they create more questions than they answer.

Go Rams!

BTW - if he's not invited to the draft in NY, I'm working on having Terence Williams watch the draft with you at your house. I know your grinning aren't you?
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -01-29-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Fair enough, I buy your logic on the DT position. But then I must ask why you have Dee Milliner CB in your Top 20 Day 1 list when we have 2 adequate CB's with Trumaine Johnson/Bradley Fletcher (FA) in the wings. Plus you don't have Jonathan Banks on your Day 2-3 list either and he merits (I would think) at least that consideration. Lastly, your only RB is Le'Veon Bell. If we get a shot on day 2 for Eddie Lacy or Stepfon Taylor, if SJ leaves then they would at least have to considered, especially with Jeff Fisher's preference to run the ball.

That's the problem with these damn lists, they create more questions than they answer.

Go Rams!
    Great post, you hit the nail on the head exactly. Heck, I'd even throw Jonathan Franklin from UCLA in there; I think he's an underrated RB and could be this years Alfred Morris if he goes to the right team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Av you dropped Manti Te’o out of the first round? Dude why?
    I simply asked myself... with everything we now know (and don't know), can you see the Rams taking him in Round 1. I answered the question "no."

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams
    Fair enough, I buy your logic on the DT position. But then I must ask why you have Dee Milliner CB in your Top 20 Day 1 list when we have 2 adequate CB's with Trumaine Johnson/Bradley Fletcher (FA) in the wings.
    Millner is just too good a prospect in my mind to pass on if he were to fall to #22 (and, in today's NFL, you can never have too many good CBs). The other CBs I've listed are guys I think might project as free safeties.

Lastly, your only RB is Le'Veon Bell. If we get a shot on day 2 for Eddie Lacy or Stepfon Taylor, if SJ leaves then they would at least have to considered, especially with Jeff Fisher's preference to run the ball.
    Right now, I have Bell at the top of the RB class. I recognize that I may be alone on that one.

BTW - if he's not invited to the draft in NY, I'm working on having Terence Williams watch the draft with you at your house. I know your grinning aren't you?
    LOL. He'd be welcome to join us!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-29-2013 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Great job, but I think your Rams draft board is based more on positional need than overall talent of the players. I mean obviously the Rams aren't going to draft a QB, but if a highly rated DL prospect like Bjoern Werner or Star Lotulelei falls I can see the Rams picking them up with the 16th pick.
    Its a combination of need and perceived talent. I've essentially eliminated QB, FB, DE, DT and MLB from consideration, and then ranked the players in terms of who I think the best prospects are.

I like Vaccaro, but I don't think there is that much of a talent gap between him and someone you might be able to get in the 2nd round, especially if it means passing on someone with top 5-10 potential.
    Its possible that you are correct, but right now I think Vaccaro, Elam and Reid are a level above the rest of the pack. I also would not preclude the possibility of taking one of those three in Round 1 and then grabbing a second safety in Round 3 or 4 (particularly if the Rams decide that Mikell's contract is too big).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-29-2013 at 08:33 PM.

By the way... thanks for the comments and questions, and keep them coming.

This is a fluid process. I'll do at least two more revisions (one after the Combine and one after the first month of free agency) before the draft. I'm sure there will be many changes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast