Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 2.0; Post-Senior Bowl)

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 2.0; Post-Senior Bowl)

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Great post, you hit the nail on the head exactly. Heck, I'd even throw Jonathan Franklin from UCLA in there; I think he's an underrated RB and could be this years Alfred Morris if he goes to the right team.
    The operative phrase is "right team". I agree with you he's underrated right now and had a good Senior Bowl week, but I think he's too much like D. Richardson. We need a power runner to replace SJax if he leaves and Eddie Lacy and Stepfon Taylor to a lesser degree are more of that between the tackles type RB. Franklin is a more slashing type RB. Plus, and I'm contradicting myself with Taylor on this but I'm less certain about Pac 12 runners than SEC RB's because of the types of defenses they face each week. Just my opinion. But I do like Franklin as my family are UCLA alums.

Go Rams!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams;453224.
    We need a power runner to replace SJax if he leaves and Eddie Lacy and Stepfon Taylor to a lesser degree are more of that between the tackles type RB..
    That's why I like Bell, who is 6'2, 244. He is also a very good receiver.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Terrence Williams has been projected anywhere from the top fifteen or sixteen through to the bottom of round one. Out of curiosity, why is he above all of the other receivers on your board?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Terrence Williams has been projected anywhere from the top fifteen or sixteen through to the bottom of round one. Out of curiosity, why is he above all of the other receivers on your board?
    I was very impressed with the year he had, leading the NCAA in receiving yards on a team that had just lost its QB (RGIII) to the draft. I also think it is noteworthy that 2 of the top 5 rookie WRs this year (in terms of receiving yards) were from Baylor: Josh Gordon and Kendall Wright. This early success suggests that their coaches and system do a good job of preparing WRs for the NFL.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    It's clear to me AV has been retained as Williams agent. Just kidding! I just hope if he's selected by another team AV, you will not abandon the Rams. Seriously, he did put up some impressive numbers and this year there is no consensus #1 receiver in the draft. Plus, his measurables lead me to believe he will be good at making contested catches, something I'm hoping we get out of Brian Quick next season.

Go Rams!

While we're on the subject, I also like Williams' consistency. His worst day this year was a 2 catch, 68 yard performance in the bowl game against UCLA. That stat, however, means very little, as Baylor only threw the ball 13 times in the game because they were destroying UCLA's defense running the ball (306 yards rushing).

After that, his next "worst day" was a 6 reception, 71 yard performance against OSU.

Best day: 17 receptions, 314 yards, 2 TDs against West Virginia (sorry, Nick!)

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While we're on the subject, I also like Williams' consistency. His worst day this year was a 2 catch, 68 yard performance in the bowl game against UCLA. That stat, however, means very little, as Baylor only threw the ball 13 times in the game because they were destroying UCLA's defense running the ball (306 yards rushing).

After that, his next "worst day" was a 6 reception, 71 yard performance against OSU.

looks like he can shred bad defenses alright

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I don't follow college football all that much, but early mock drafts (6 months ago) had Robert Woods as a top 5 pick, and now I see him listed as Rnd 2 or later as you have him Av. What happened that dropped his stock so badly?

Also, I'm with you on dropping Te'O out of consideration in Round 1. I haven't followed the story all that closely, but from what I've read it seems like he really liked the attention that came with the story, he played up the story for months, and then when it looked like the real story was about to come out he tried to rush into endorsement deals. This all seems like a player who's not entirely devoted to the game of football and will be distracted throughout his career.

Compare that to Jenkins - he had off the field issues, but nobody has ever questioned his love for the game. I can't count the number of times I've heard coaches or players praise Jenkins for his hard work and desire to get better. I'd much rather have a player who loves the game but has had past indiscretions over a player who seems more interested in the fame than the game.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Terrance Williams. As I mentioned closer to the end of season, I was going to start researching on prospects. I started researching WRs a couple of weeks ago, since it is a big need. AND Terrance Williams has automatically caught my attention

Against Ranked Teams:
    #9 Ranked WVU - 17 Rec, 314 Yards, 2 TDs (true, no defense in that game)
    #23 Ranked Texas - 10 Rec, 183 yards, 1 TD
    #11 Ranked OU - 6 Rec, 91 Yards
    #5 Ranked KSU - 5 Rec, 87 Yards, 1 TD

Texas Tech and TCU were also in the upper tier of Pass D last year in NCAAF (especially Texas Tech, they were ranked 15th). Texas and OU were also up there.

He had 7 rec, 175 yards, 1TD against Texas Tech
    He also had 3 Rec, 163 yards, 2 TDs against TCU.

He showed up when he played great teams. He didn't get an opportunity to play good to great defenses except maybe 4 times, he showed up in those.

Also..Per game, he averaged: 8 Receptions, 153 yards, a touchdown.

More than all this, as I watch his videos and replays: The way he plays the position, I see him being a great fit at WR in the NFL.

IF we draft a WR instead of going the FA route and IF Terrance Williams is available, I think we should definitely take him.

To wrap up my opinion:
    I think Terrance is the best WR in the draft. I can see him automatically starting in the NFL next year and succeeding. But, it is not like he is clearly miles ahead of a few other top WR prospects IMO.

If we pick up one or two of the following in FA: OG, RT, Safety....
    then we pick up one of the remaining positions above with our 16th pick...
    and Terrance Williams is available at the 22nd pick...
    then yes, heck yes, take him at 22 in those circumstances
    Last edited by RuffRams; -01-30-2013 at 11:44 PM.

ludairv is offline Registered User

By the way... thanks for the comments and questions, and keep them coming.

This is a fluid process. I'll do at least two more revisions (one after the Combine and one after the first month of free agency) before the draft. I'm sure there will be many changes.
    Hey veng, what do you think are the chances that the Rams pick Rhodes in the first? I reallllly like him as a potential FS prospect for the rams, besides elam, he might be the most physical DB in this draft, and Fisher has been noted to really value this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sadly for me, WVU's defense allowed a number of people to have their best days this year.

Having said that, I think I felt better about Williams before the Senior Bowl than I do now. He was easily the most talented player at his position in Mobile and really had a shot to continue to make a case to be the first receiver off the board.

Instead, it seems like he's been overshadowed by 3-4 other receivers who looked far more impressive during the practice week. Not exactly the showing I was looking for from a potential top receiver in this class, though given his size and athleticism, I expect he'll bounce back at the Combine.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect with great college production and some tremendous attributes. I can understand why some view him as the top player at his position in this class. But at this point for me, he's probably my fourth or fifth ranked receiver.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I did not catch the senior bowl. How did he do catching, route running and making himself open?

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I did not catch the senior bowl. How did he do catching, route running and making himself open?
    he did okay, but like others have said, a few others have looked better, heck, some that haven't even played in the senior bowl could be better

receivers playing big 12 defenses need to REALLY stand out to be good, some of the most nonexistent defenses are in the big 12

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This is the first year in a while I haven't had the chance to watch the coverage either; a new baby will do that to you.

From the reports I've been able to read, he flashed ability but was inconsistent. Some drops, some trouble separating over the middle, but some great catches and nice ability on go routes.

Williams had the opportunity to be the Eric Fisher of the Senior Bowl receivers. Of those who weighed in, he was easily (IMO) the top rated receiver there, and should have been a man among boys at his position. Yet instead, he just didn't seem to separate himself from a group of seniors that didn't include Tavon Austin. This doesn't even begin to address the half dozen juniors he's competing with for slots near the top of their positional rankings.

He's very talented and had a great senior year. You can't help but be blown away by the yardage he put up, even in the Big 12. But IMO he's trending downward and could find himself out of the first round if he doesn't rebound at the Combine. Right now, I don't view him as good value with either of the Rams' first round picks, though if the Rams trade down or if he's available in the second round, he should certainly be in the discussion.
    RuffRams likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Terrance Williams. As I mentioned closer to the end of season, I was going to start researching on prospects. I started researching WRs a couple of weeks ago, since it is a big need. AND Terrance Williams has automatically caught my attention

Against Ranked Teams:
    #9 Ranked WVU - 17 Rec, 314 Yards, 2 TDs (true, no defense in that game)
    #23 Ranked Texas - 10 Rec, 183 yards, 1 TD
    #11 Ranked OU - 6 Rec, 91 Yards
    #5 Ranked KSU - 5 Rec, 87 Yards, 1 TD

Texas Tech and TCU were also in the upper tier of Pass D last year in NCAAF (especially Texas Tech, they were ranked 15th). Texas and OU were also up there.

He had 7 rec, 175 yards, 1TD against Texas Tech
    He also had 3 Rec, 163 yards, 2 TDs against TCU.

He showed up when he played great teams. He didn't get an opportunity to play good to great defenses except maybe 4 times, he showed up in those.

Also..Per game, he averaged: 8 Receptions, 153 yards, a touchdown.

More than all this, as I watch his videos and replays: The way he plays the position, I see him being a great fit at WR in the NFL.

IF we draft a WR instead of going the FA route and IF Terrance Williams is available, I think we should definitely take him.

To wrap up my opinion:
    I think Terrance is the best WR in the draft. I can see him automatically starting in the NFL next year and succeeding. But, it is not like he is clearly miles ahead of a few other top WR prospects IMO.

If we pick up one or two of the following in FA: OG, RT, Safety....
    then we pick up one of the remaining positions above with our 16th pick...
    and Terrance Williams is available at the 22nd pick...
    then yes, heck yes, take him at 22 in those circumstances
    T-Will is definitely a talent, but I don't think he's as great as everybody makes him out to be. After watching a lot of film on him, he seems like a good route runner with good speed and great hands, but he tends to lose balance easily after the catch and would rather slide to the ground than fight for a few extra yards. Not a 1st rounder IMO, but I'd grab him in the 2nd round if he was there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast