Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 3.0: Post-Combine)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    A lot of changes on my board.

There are many factors I'm trying to include in these rankings, including what I saw on the field last Fall, what I've seen on tape, the Combine, the Rams' needs, the potential FA losses, and my gut. Some of this may seem unconventional, but I feel good about my lists.

Rams Draft Board

1. Luke Joekel, OT, Texas A&M
    2. Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
    3. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    4. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    5. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
    6. Xavier Rhodes, DB, Florida State
    7. Dion Jordon, OLB, Oregon
    8. D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
    9. Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    10. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
    11. Matt Elam, S, Florida
    12. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    13. Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    14. Keenan Allen, WR, California
    15. Eric Reid, S, LSU
    16. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    17. Sharif Floyd, DT, Florida
    18. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    19. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
    20. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas

Day 2 Watch List

1. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
    2. Le'Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
    3. David Amerson, DB, North Carolina State
    4. Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee
    5. Robert Woods, WR, USC
    6. Eddie Lacey, RB, Alabama
    7. Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi
    8. Khaseem Greene, OLB Rutgers
    9. Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas
    10. Travis Frederick, C/OG, Wisconsin
    11. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky
    12. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
    13. Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
    14. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA
    15. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
    16. Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
    17. Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
    18. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    19. Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
    20. Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

I'll post my final boards in April after the Pro Days!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.
    Nick likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board and Day 2 Watch List (Version 3.0: Post-Combine)

It would be cool if teams released their boards after drafts so you could compare and contrast, but thats never going to happen.

If this were the Rams board, overall I'd like it.

Only major difference is I'd have Hopkins as my 2nd WR on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam
    It would be cool if teams released their boards after drafts so you could compare and contrast, but thats never going to happen.

If this were the Rams board, overall I'd like it.

Only major difference is I'd have Hopkins as my 2nd WR on the board.
    I like Hopkins, but his 40 time (4.57) was a bit of a disappointment. That said, I'd take him in round 2 in a heartbeat, and I'm still interested in how the WRs look at their Pro Days.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-27-2013 at 01:40 AM.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I would also take him in the 2nd in a heartbeat, and I bet the Rams would too. However, I dont think hes still on the board by then.

He's not a burner, but he has proven before that his impressive route running can get him behind the D.

I'm not expecting him to be a consistent deep threat. I'm expecting a short-intermediate route guy who can consistenly get open and go after the ball. Gaining seperation between the defender seems to be one of the hardest parts of transitioning to the NFL, especially for Rams draftees in the past few years. The only receiver who Bradfords had who can get open at will is Amendola and they have a great connection. I like the idea of his type of WR complementing the speed of Givens and the athleticism of Quick.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-27-2013 at 02:28 AM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'd be interested to hear why you list not only Reid over Vaccaro, but Justin Hunter too. Do you think Reid's combine numbers give him that much of a bump?

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I'd be interested to hear why you list not only Reid over Vaccaro, but Justin Hunter too. Do you think Reid's combine numbers give him that much of a bump?
    Vaccaro is a guy that I feel like I overrated previously in deference to the hype he's received. His game tapes don't really jump off the screen for me, and when I look at his size (6'0, 214) and speed (4.63), I don't see an elite prospect. I see a borderline first rounder.

Reid is an inch taller, ran a 4.53, and had a 40 inch verticle. I think he was downgraded a bit this year because LSU had a disappointing season. In my mind, he's the second best safety (after Matt Elam) in this draft.

As for Hunter, the concern with him was whether he was fully recovered from injury. By running a 4.44 (which is a great time for a guy who is 6'4) and posting a 39.5 verticle and 11'3" broad jump, I think he answered that question.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-27-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    ZiaRam likes this.

A few words about some of the guys who are not on my lists:

Jarvis Jones - combination of health concern and potential misfit in Rams defense.

Jonathan Cyprien - did not run at the Combine. If he can run sub-4.6 at his Pro Day, I'll probably add him to my final watch list.

Barrett Jones - purely a health issue. If he were 100%, I'd have him as a late-first/early-second round prospect.

Barkevious Mingo - I think he's a pure 3-4 guy.

Zavier Gooden - he had a great Combine, but his on-field production was mediocre. Borderline for my watch list.

Corey Fuller - just missed the cut. I might reconsider adding him to the watch list.

Chris Faulk - not ready to put him on the lists, but if he is healthy, he's a potential steal in the middle rounds.

Marcus Lattimore - he will never be on my lists. Sorry, too many injuries.

Manti Te'o - Given his 40 time, I think he really projects as an ILB.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-01-2013 at 03:41 PM.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Vaccaro is a guy that I feel like I overrated previously in deference to the hype he's received. His game tapes don't really jump off the screen for me, and when I look at his size (6'0, 214) and speed (4.63), I don't see an elite prospect. I see a borderline first rounder.Reid is an inch taller, ran a 4.53, and had a 40 inch verticle. I think he was downgraded a bit this year because LSU had a disappointing season. In my mind, he's the second best safety (after Matt Elam) in this draft.As for Hunter, the concern with him was whether he was fully recovered from injury. By running a 4.44 (which is a great time for a guy who is 6'4) and posting a 39.5 verticle and 11'3" broad jump, I think he answered that question.
    great summary of the S breakdown Avenger
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -02-27-2013 at 04:26 PM.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good Board for the Rams. I think based on his Combine performance you have to add Terron Armstead to the day 2 list at OT. He's a RT in the NFL and that's what our need is at this time. I know he's rated highly, but D J Fluker bears watching because he has weight issues that are likely to affect his draft status.

I like Joseph Fauria too, but over Jordan Reed and Vance McDonald? I prefer Fauria over Travis Kelce simply because I've had my fill of Cincinnati players (Gilyard and Pead). I'm willing withhold judgment on Pead for 1 more season.

As for Le'Veon Bell, I like him too, but I see him more as day 3 guy, especially the way running backs get downgraded these days. 57 days and counting, I'm juiced about this draft for us. Not happy what I heard earlier about the ***** getting KC's 2nd round pick for Alex Smith. Hopefully they'll find another A J Jenkins.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Good Board for the Rams. I think based on his Combine performance you have to add Terron Armstead to the day 2 list at OT. He's a RT in the NFL and that's what our need is at this time. I know he's rated highly, but D J Fluker bears watching because he has weight issues that are likely to affect his draft status.
    I think Armstead is more of a Round 4 type prospect. You have to be impressed with his numbers, though.

[I like Joseph Fauria too, but over Jordan Reed and Vance McDonald? I prefer Fauria over Travis Kelce simply because I've had my fill of Cincinnati players (Gilyard and Pead). I'm willing withhold judgment on Pead for 1 more season.

As for Le'Veon Bell, I like him too, but I see him more as day 3 guy, especially the way running backs get downgraded these days.
    My answer for both of these guys is the same. I view both players as having unique qualities. In Bell's case, there isn't another RB in the draft who has his size/speed (230 lbs./4.60) combination, and also is as accomplished a pass-catcher (67 receptions over the past two years).

In Fauria's case, I look at a guy who has the size (6'7, 250) to create huge mismatches in the Red Zone, and the track record (12 TDs in 2012) to show he knows how to use his advantage. I do wish he ran at the Combine, so I'll be waiting to see how he does at his Pro Day.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

My answer for both of these guys is the same. I view both players as having unique qualities. In Bell's case, there isn't another RB in the draft who has his size/speed (230 lbs./4.60) combination, and also is as accomplished a pass-catcher (67 receptions over the past two years).

In Fauria's case, I look at a guy who has the size (6'7, 250) to create huge mismatches in the Red Zone, and the track record (12 TDs in 2012) to show he knows how to use his advantage. I do wish he ran at the Combine, so I'll be waiting to see how he does at his Pro Day.
    You're preaching to the choir for both Bell and Fauria. I like them both and I wasn't aware of Fauria's TD totals. Impressive. I guess my point was driven by the fact that if we're going to draft a TE I see it happening early like in round 1 with Eifert largely because I sense Jeff and Les will place a high prority on getting a TE difference maker in the Red Zone. They both know the value of an effective TE. Les with Tony Gonzales and Jeff with Jared Cook.

As for Bell, I've seen mocks that have him going as late as round 6. I think he's got better value than that, but I'm still hoping we re-sign SJax so RB isn't a draft issue for us. In fact an interesting article had us looking at Tommy Bohannon the FB from Wake Forest. Obviously a late round pick, but an interesting option to pave the way for DRich or Pead.

Armstead's Pro Day, if he's got one will go a long way towards solidifying his draft status. I like all the OT's but don't forget we are looking at a RT not a LT, so day 2 or 3 is not unlikely. All bets are off if by some quirk Eric Fisher or Luke Joekel falls to us at 16. Remember, you said earlier that Roger Saffold has never played the right side, so that is not a likely circumstance. I'm warming to the idea of Jonathan Cooper at 16 based on his Combine. His Pro Day will be important too.

Go Rams!

Cooper is a guy who I was questioning a bit before the Combine, as some were pegging him as an undersized/zone blocking type. By showing up at 311 lbs and doing 35 reps on the bench, I think he showed that those concerns are unfounded.
    sosa39rams and DE_Ramfan like this.

Bucky Brooks just published an article on NFL.com declaring Le'veon Bell the top RB in the draft.
    You're a little late to the party, Bucky!
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Bucky Brooks just published an article on NFL.com declaring Le'veon Bell the top RB in the draft.
    You're a little late to the party, Bucky!
    Right on with that! Bell really is a man amongst boys! I swear he looks a lot like SJ did coming out of college and i Would mancrush him even more if he was a Ram. Lol

Randart is offline Registered User

I really love most of your choices for us AvR but you don't list the lil' honey badger... with how well we did with Jenks last season I think we could help the ladd stay on the bright path. And I would love to draft some of what I call sets... ie/ the honey badger and Eric Reid, J. Fauria & J. Franklin both sets are former team mates also Chris Long's brother would be nice as would Fluker and a couple others who can swing from T/G back and forth to help with depth on the OL. Just some fun combos that really get me excited about this draft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast