Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams Draft Board (Version 1.0)

Here is my first Rams draft board for the 2011 draft. The ranking is for the Rams, not necessarily the order in which the listed players will be selected. Some of the players listed are underclassmen who have not yet declared, but I expect that they all will do so eventually.

1. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    If Green has a good pre-draft campaign (workouts, interviews, etc.), he will likely be long gone before the Rams make their selection at No. 14. If, however, he should "stumble" and drop to the Rams, I'd take him in a heartbeat. From day 1, he will be a mismatch for the vast majority of NFL DBs.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    If Bowers were to somehow drop to the Rams, I would take him over every WR other than Green (in part because I believe there will be some very good WR options when the Rams make their second pick at No. 46). Bowers would be a terror in Spagnuolo's system, and would be a long-term bookend for Chris Long.

3. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    The big question for me is whether Nick Fairley is a nasty (but disciplined) player, or a dirty player. Either way, he is a disruptive force from the DT spot. James Laurinaitis would love to play behind this guy, and Fairley would get his share of behind the line hits.

4. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    Two things really intrigue me about Jones. The first is his size (6'4, 220) and the second is his productivity in a run oriented offense. I would not be surprised if Jones is a better as a pro than he was in college (and he certainly was no slouch in college).

5. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    Blackmon produced eye-popping numbers this year. Some might argue that these numbers are skewed by Oklahoma State's system and the Big 12 defenses, but I think its notable that Dez Bryant, who came from the same system, was able to hit the ground running and produce in the NFL. Some have tagged Blackmon with the "Diva" label, but I think that issue can be addressed in Combine interviews. Nothing wrong with a bit of swagger, as long as its team oriented.

6. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU
    If my top two DEs and the "Big 3" WRs are all gone, the Rams should go to pure BPA (other than QB) mode. I think Peterson is a clear Blue Chip prospect, and has the size and speed to play any postion in the defensive backfield.

7. Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT, Iowa
    Clayborn is a big DE who could slide inside on passing downs. His sack production went down from 2009 to 2010 as he saw frequent double-teams. He's not as dynamic or explosive a player as some of the other DE prospects, but I think he'd have a very positive impact on the defense.

8. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Another big corner who could play some safety, Amukamara would be a very good value at pick No. 14. The fact that he was able to distinguish himself in the pass-happy Big 12 is a big plus in my book.

9. Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
    There isn't a clear concensus on Bailey's draft position. From a potential standpoint, he's a top 10 prospect. From a production standpoint, he's probably a late first round pick. Perhaps with a bit of homerism, I have him ranked higher than many.

10. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    Some see Heyward as more of a 3-4 DE, but I think he could fit the "Justin Tuck role" in Spags' defense. In the short run, he could supplant Gary Gibson at DT, and in the long run, he could replace James Hall.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-05-2011 at 11:52 AM.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board (Version 1.0)

I have to agree with your rankings here for the most part. These are the positions that we really need to address. However I would tweak it a little.

I have Adrian Clayborn ranked a bit higher then you. He is a hard nosed end with a high motor. Always in on plays and definately a disruptive force. May not have the flash of other ends, but his production speaks for itself. Plus he is a St. Louis native.

After last nights game, I think Cameron Heyward should be moved up. The way he played last night reminded me of Suh last year when he played in his bowl game. Just completely dominating the line of scrimmage and the game for that matter. Always seemed to be in on a play last night

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post

After last nights game, I think Cameron Heyward should be moved up. The way he played last night reminded me of Suh last year when he played in his bowl game. Just completely dominating the line of scrimmage and the game for that matter. Always seemed to be in on a play last night
    I think Cam played himself back into the first round, without question. He showed he can dominate at the line when called upon. Definitely fits the philosophy of the team also.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Wheres Robert Quinn? I love this guy. Plus I agree, A.J Green is definently number one. Man I would love to see Sam gun slingin' to A.J.

msha is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about Clayborn. He was basically invisible in his bowl game against Mizzou without being double-teamed frequently. He has some character concerns as well.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here is my first Rams draft board for the 2011 draft. The ranking is for the Rams, not necessarily the order in which the listed players will be selected. Some of the players listed are underclassmen who have not yet declared, but I expect that they all will do so eventually.

1. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    If Green has a good pre-draft campaign (workouts, interviews, etc.), he will likely be long gone before the Rams make their selection at No. 14. If, however, he should "stumble" and drop to the Rams, I'd take him in a heartbeat. From day 1, he will be a mismatch for the vast majority of NFL DBs.

2. Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    If Bowers were to somehow drop to the Rams, I would take him over every WR other than Green (in part because I believe there will be some very good WR options when the Rams make their second pick at No. 46). Bowers would be a terror in Spagnuolo's system, and would be a long-term bookend for Chris Long.

3. Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    The big question for me is whether Nick Fairley is a nasty (but disciplined) player, or a dirty player. Either way, he is a disruptive force from the DT spot. James Laurinaitis would love to play behind this guy, and Fairley would get his share of behind the line hits.

4. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    Two things really intrigue me about Jones. The first is his size (6'4, 220) and the second is his productivity in a run oriented offense. I would not be surprised if Jones is a better as a pro than he was in college (and he certainly was no slouch in college).

5. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    Blackmon produced eye-popping numbers this year. Some might argue that these numbers are skewed by Oklahoma State's system and the Big 12 defenses, but I think its notable that Dez Bryant, who came from the same system, was able to hit the ground running and produce in the NFL. Some have tagged Blackmon with the "Diva" label, but I think that issue can be addressed in Combine interviews. Nothing wrong with a bit of swagger, as long as its team oriented.

6. Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU
    If my top two DEs and the "Big 3" WRs are all gone, the Rams should go to pure BPA (other than QB) mode. I think Peterson is a clear Blue Chip prospect, and has the size and speed to play any postion in the defensive backfield.

7. Adrian Clayborn, DE/DT, Iowa
    Clayborn is a big DE who could slide inside on passing downs. His sack production went down from 2009 to 2010 as he saw frequent double-teams. He's not as dynamic or explosive a player as some of the other DE prospects, but I think he'd have a very positive impact on the defense.

8. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Another big corner who could play some safety, Amukamara would be a very good value at pick No. 14. The fact that he was able to distinguish himself in the pass-happy Big 12 is a big plus in my book.

9. Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
    There isn't a clear concensus on Bailey's draft position. From a potential standpoint, he's a top 10 prospect. From a production standpoint, he's probably a late first round pick. Perhaps with a bit of homerism, I have him ranked higher than many.

10. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    Some see Heyward as more of a 3-4 DE, but I think he could fit the "Justin Tuck role" in Spags' defense. In the short run, he could supplant Gary Gibson at DT, and in the long run, he could replace James Hall.
    I see a heavy dose of WR's and Defense. I still contend that we need a quality RB. Also help at the OG position

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Wheres Robert Quinn? I love this guy.
    Well... then I guess he's on "sosa's Rams Draft Board (Version 1.0)"

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I see a heavy dose of WR's and Defense. I still contend that we need a quality RB. Also help at the OG position
    While I agree that those are both needs, I don't see any RB or OG prospects that I'd take at #14.

Quote Originally Posted by msha View Post
    I'm not sure about Clayborn. He was basically invisible in his bowl game against Mizzou without being double-teamed frequently. He has some character concerns as well.
    The character issues will need to be investigated, but I don't think his talent is in question.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I would rank Ryan Kerrigan and Robert Quinn over Bailey, Heyward and Claybourn. Both guys are pure REs unlike Bailey, Heyward, and Claybourn who are DT LE tweeners. Chris Long is going to hold down the left end spot for a while.

A Guy I would consider putting in the top 10 is Akeem Ayers. Ayers could play any LB position in any scheme 6'4 255 great size great athlete plays the run rushes the passer covers high impact player next to Lauranatis. Would fill a big need and is great value at 14.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    A Guy I would consider putting in the top 10 is Akeem Ayers. Ayers could play any LB position in any scheme 6'4 255 great size great athlete plays the run rushes the passer covers high impact player next to Lauranatis. Would fill a big need and is great value at 14.
    I think that a lot of scouts feel that Ayers looks better than he plays. His numbers certainly don't jump off the page. Of course, the same could have been said about Clay Matthews (who, admittedly, I thought would be an NFL bust), so perhaps you have a point.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I would rank Ryan Kerrigan and Robert Quinn over Bailey, Heyward and Claybourn. Both guys are pure REs unlike Bailey, Heyward, and Claybourn who are DT LE tweeners. Chris Long is going to hold down the left end spot for a while.

I agree with you on both points. I have a hard time really getting jazzed about Bailey, Clayborn, or Heyward, because none of them scream 4-3 RDE to me. I think they'd be more successful as a LDE (where Long plays) or a five-technique end on a 3-4.

As for Ayers, I'm higher on him than some, and it looks like you might be there with me. I'm anxious to see how he tests this offseason. One of the questions with him is how much upside he has at the next level. With good numbers and good performances in positional drills, he could rise up board enough for the Rams to consider him. His versatility would be a big plus in this defense, IMO.

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Spags would like a DE/DT hybrid to fill the "Tuck" role.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

What about Bruce Carter from UNC? I know there is an injury question with but he if he clears the medics, he may be a terror from sideline to sideline. Also, Steve Paea DT from Oregon St. could be worth a look.

Go Rams!

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

If Green doesn't get grabbed by #8, then I'd go for the trade with the Cowboys seeing that it's a 5 spot difference and that I assume they'll be looking more on fixing their O-line and FS woes, which they'll likely fall out of the top 15 most likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast