Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Av's Rams Draft Board (Version 1.0)

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Spags would like a DE/DT hybrid to fill the "Tuck" role.
    I don't know that Spags' use of Tuck represented a preference for a DE/DT 'tweener as much as it was about getting the talent that was logjammed at DE on the field. Tuck wasn't a 285-pound 'tweener, but a 260-270 pound end who was just stuck behind Strahan and Osi.

I'm hoping all three of these guys participate in the Senior Bowl. It'll be fun to watch how they perform at different positions, because I'm sure the coaching staff that's there will try them out in different ways.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't know that Spags' use of Tuck represented a preference for a DE/DT 'tweener as much as it was about getting the talent that was logjammed at DE on the field. Tuck wasn't a 285-pound 'tweener, but a 260-270 pound end who was just stuck behind Strahan and Osi.

I'm hoping all three of these guys participate in the Senior Bowl. It'll be fun to watch how they perform at different positions, because I'm sure the coaching staff that's there will try them out in different ways.
    You and I clearly view the issue of slotting players to defensive scheme's differently. That's fine... I'll give you the "Adam Carriker was miscast in a 4-3" argument. Of course, you'll have to give me the "Leonard Little, coming out of college, had 3-4 OLB written all over him, but excelled as a 4-3 DE" retort.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I have a hard time really getting jazzed about Bailey, Clayborn, or Heyward, because none of them scream 4-3 RDE to me.
    You know, if it's a pure RDE that we're looking for, we don't even have to leave the state: Aldon Smith.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You and I clearly view the issue of slotting players to defensive scheme's differently. That's fine... I'll give you the "Adam Carriker was miscast in a 4-3" argument. Of course, you'll have to give me the "Leonard Little, coming out of college, had 3-4 OLB written all over him, but excelled as a 4-3 DE" retort.
    Fair enough, but 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs have pretty similar skillsets. 4-3 RDEs and 4-3 DTs usually don't.

I think that's the issue I'm having with guys like Heyward, Bailey, and Clayborn. If we were talking about a LDE who doesn't necessarily need that great first step, I'd be on board. But we already have Long at LDE.

Any big addition we make at DE will be on the right side, which means someone who can beat the opposing athletic left tackles of the league. I'm not confident a 285-pound DE/DT 'tweener fits that role.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You know, if it's a pure RDE that we're looking for, we don't even have to leave the state: Aldon Smith.
    Yeah, Smith is certainly intriguing. I think he definitely has to be in the discussion if he comes out, but who knows if he will since he's only a redshirt sophomore I believe.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think he definitely has to be in the discussion if he comes out, but who knows if he will since he's only a redshirt sophomore I believe
    Personally, I hope he doesn't. But of course you can imagine this is the big question here in 'zou land. Speculation is with Gabbert movin' on up Smith will as well.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12