AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Rams' Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

This will be the first of several projections.

A few ground rules. First, I'm not going to project any FA signings. Too many variables there. Suffice to say, this draft could be altered by FA, assuming it takes place before the draft (depends on labor issue).

Second, these are projections based upon who I think could be available when the Rams make their selections.

So, with that said, here's my first stab:

Round 1: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    If he's there at pick #14, I'd say he'd be a no-brainer selection. He'd fill the biggest need while also fitting into a BPA philosophy.

Round 2: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma
    Draftniks will critique his size (6'3, 267) and question whether he's an every down player. Here's what I see. I see a guy who averaged nearly 70 tackles, 9+ sacks and 17+ tackles for loss in the last three years.

Round 3: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada
    If reports of his 40 time are accurate (I've read that he can run a 4.25-4.30 at 245 lbs) he has a built in nickname ("Moch Speed"). This guy could be a terror in blitz packages.

Round 4: Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh
    Lewis is a guy I think could be a good value at this part of the draft. He does not have the size of Steven Jackson, but he can be a workhorse if the need arises.

Round 5: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
    Moffitt is a true "road grader" type of OG. If he can open holes for John Clay, he can certainly do the same for Steven Jackson.

Round 6: Jermale Hines, S, Ohio State
    While some might argue that safety is a higher priority than Round 6, I think that often good players at that position fall to late in the draft. Could Hines be that type of player? Perhaps.

Round 7: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
    Let's face it. The 7th round, particularly in January, is a complete crap-shoot. So, why not go with a player EVERYONE has heard of? I don't think McElroy has the arm strength to be an NFL starter, and I think most scouts will agree. That said, he has enough intelligence, leadership abilities, and accuracy to be a decent backup. Is anyone really that sold on A.J. Feely and Thaddeus Lewis as Sam Bradford's long-term backups?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Rams' Mock Draft (Version 1.0)

Like it all except the last part. I honestly do like and think Thaddeus Lewis could back Sam Bradford. During the preseason he did pretty good. He also brings a different element, running the ball. I was actually really looking forward to see him on the roster soon. Not a big deal though since we have Sam.

I love the first 2 picks. Both fill needs and are quality players. Dontay Moch is also a good pick. That speed is terrorizing. He will basically shore up the problems we have with outside the edge speed backs.

Picks 4-6 are also good. They fill positions of need, and are good players that we could use. Moffitt replaces Goldberg immediately and Lewis is the immediate backup RB.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Could we pick up Demarco Murray in round 3 or 4? Or what is his draft stock

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Round 1: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    If he's there at pick #14, I'd say he'd be a no-brainer selection. He'd fill the biggest need while also fitting into a BPA philosophy.
    Can't argue about the pick if he's available. He was in a run-first offense in Alabama, so his production and talent will be increased in McDaniel's scheme.

Round 2: Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma
    Draftniks will critique his size (6'3, 267) and question whether he's an every down player. Here's what I see. I see a guy who averaged nearly 70 tackles, 9+ sacks and 17+ tackles for loss in the last three years.
    Not the flashiest player, but plays with a good motor and is pretty consistent. Has solid pass rushing potential.

Round 3: Dontay Moch, OLB, Nevada
    If reports of his 40 time are accurate (I've read that he can run a 4.25-4.30 at 245 lbs) he has a built in nickname ("Moch Speed"). This guy could be a terror in blitz packages.
    This is a guy I have been very intrigued in, and was going to put in my mock draft as well. Moch isn't the most polished outside linebacker, and would probably be used in specific packages until he can develop better coverage skills. However, he has elite freakish speed that Spags can really use.

Round 4: Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh
    Lewis is a guy I think could be a good value at this part of the draft. He does not have the size of Steven Jackson, but he can be a workhorse if the need arises.
    Have watched him before, and he is a solid back. Not the fastest, but he has good running skills. Can develop into a good #2 back.

Round 5: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
    Moffitt is a true "road grader" type of OG. If he can open holes for John Clay, he can certainly do the same for Steven Jackson.
    Don't think Mofitt will last until here, but guards have a tendency to drop. Is a solid blue-collar blocker, a better version of Greco. Can be immediately plugged in at RG IMO. Has good pass blocking skills, and even better run blocking skills.

Round 6: Jermale Hines, S, Ohio State
    While some might argue that safety is a higher priority than Round 6, I think that often good players at that position fall to late in the draft. Could Hines be that type of player? Perhaps.
    Don't know anything about him, depth pick, can't argue.

Round 7: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
    Let's face it. The 7th round, particularly in January, is a complete crap-shoot. So, why not go with a player EVERYONE has heard of? I don't think McElroy has the arm strength to be an NFL starter, and I think most scouts will agree. That said, he has enough intelligence, leadership abilities, and accuracy to be a decent backup. Is anyone really that sold on A.J. Feely and Thaddeus Lewis as Sam Bradford's long-term backups?
    [/QUOTE]

Interesting pick. I think picking up McElroy would be a smart decision with a 7th round pick.

Overall, solid draft and fills a lot of holes.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    Could we pick up Demarco Murray in round 3 or 4? Or what is his draft stock
    Too soon to say. I'd guess he could go as early as Round 2, and as late as Round 5, depending on his workouts.