AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Round 1 Mock (Version 1.0)

Okay...

Time for my first stab at this (and, yes... I'm predicting that Green Bay will defeat Pittburgh in the Super Bowl):

1. Carolina Panthers: Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    Andrew Luck would have been the pick here had he declared, but with no clear top QB, the Panthers will instead replace Julius Peppers with a great DE prospect in Bowers.

2. Denver Broncos: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    The Broncos need to fix their defense, and starting with Peterson, who can physically match even the most gifted WRs in the league, is a good place to start.

3. Buffalo Bills: Nick Fairly, DT, Auburn
    The Bills showed they could score points, but their defense needs an anchor. Fairly may not have the impact of Ndamukong Suh, but he'll make a big difference.

4. Cincinnati Bengals: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    I don't know that the Bengals will trade Carson Palmer just yet, but the rumblings have started. This makes Gabbert, who could use a bit of seaoning but has great potential, a great choice.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    The Cardinals probably should take a QB, but they have not come to terms with the fact that they are rebuilding, as opposed to being a "one guy away" team. They could also use an OT, but none merit such a high choice. Miller will be expected to be an impact player right away.

6. Cleveland Browns: A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    Green is an elite prospect and will be expected to take the role of Colt McCoy's go-to guy right away. That said, some may question whether he fits in the Holmgren/Shurmur West Coast offense. Potentially a fair critique.

7. San Francisco Niners: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    Locker is a high upside/high bust potential prospect. Niners fans, who suffered through the prolonged Alex Smith experiment, will be nervous about this one.

8. Tennessee Titans: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    The Titans will hope that the athletic Newton will be a lot more like Steve McNair than Vince Young.

9. Dallas Cowboys: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    Jason Garrett has enough toys to play with on offense. The defense needs talent, and Amukamara could be a shut-down CB.

10. Washington Redskins: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    The Redskins like big names, and Heisman winner Ingram fits that mold. He might not be the flashiest player in the draft, but he'll be a productive and steady replacement for Clinton Portis.

11. Houston Texans: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Houston should probably take defensive players with every pick they have. Quinn will be a great bookend for Mario Williams.

12. Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    Are 4 of the best 12 players in this draft really QBs? No. But with FA potentially delayed until after the draft, QB needy teams will be forced to reach. Mallett has a lot of potential, but does not strike me as an opening day starter.

13. Detroit Lions: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    Harris will be a true "riser" in this draft. He will be the next in a long line of successful DBs from "The U."

14. St. Louis Rams: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    The Rams get their man. Jones is the perfect choice for a team trying to build around a franchise QB.

15. Miami Dolphins: Aldon Smith, OLB/DE, Missouri
    I think Smith will remind Miami scouts and fans of Jason Taylor, who they still miss in South Florida.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    You know the old saying - you can never have too many CBs. Williams is a good one and, when you play in the same division as Peyton Manning and Andre Johnson, you need good DBs.

17. New England Patriots (from Oakland): Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB, Purdue
    New England will try to develop Kerrigan as a replacement for Mike Vrabel, who they have missed since his departure.

18. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    The Chargers are tired of being held hostage by Vincent Jackson (and also have to pay Malcolm Floyd), so this reach makes some sense.

19. New York Giants: Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    The Giants need to look to the future at the DE position. Jordan is a potential steal at this point in the draft.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    This is very late for the first OT to come off the board. Castonzo is not considered an "elite" prospect, but he has the potential to become a solid anchor for the up and coming Bucs.

21. Kansas City Chiefs: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    Now the run on OTs begins. With their run-oriented offense, the Chiefs can always use OL talent.

22. Indianapolis Colts: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    The Colts need more defensive playmakers. Ayers is the complete package.

23. Philadelphia Eagles: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    The Eagles need to build up their DL further to stay ahead of the smashmouth Giants and high flying Cowboys.

24. New Orleans Saints: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
    New Orleans is getting a little long in the tooth at the DE spot, and Clayborn has shown flashes of being a top 10 talent.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
    The Seahawks' run defense eroded as the season progressed. Dareus is a middle-clogging, run-stopping DT.

26. Baltimore Ravens: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia
    LB has been a strength position for the Ravens for years. Houston will ensure that it continues to be.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
    If the Falcons can get Bailey to fully utilize his off-the-charts physical tools, this will be a steal.

28. New England Patriots: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    The Patriots continue to reload with their second pick in the round. They put Heyward to good use.

29. New York Jets: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Rudolph can become a great "safety blanket" for Sanchez, and allow for a strong 2 TE set with Dustin Keller.

30. Chicago Bears: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    The Bears were able to patch up their OL with smoke and mirrors, but really need more talent.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers: Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
    Dowling can play both the CB and FS spot for the Steelers, who continue to add talent to a great defense.

32. Green Bay Packers: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    The Packers learned early this season that an injury at the RB spot can have a big impact. Williams will, at worst, provide great depth and, at best, be a great home-run hitter in a RB platoon.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Av's Round 1 Mock (Version 1.0)

Well .. you were right about the Rams and Avery, I sure hope you and Nick are right about Julio Jones. Hope he is still there when we pick .. I'll never forget the feeling I had when the Rams passed on Haloti Ngata and picked Tye Hill .

Hopefully if Jones is still there when we pick at #14, we actually take him. Every now and then I feel remnants of a Shaw/Ziggy hangover ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great job. I do need to ask if we sign a WR as a FA such as a Sidney Rice, would you still stick with Julio Jones? Now of course with the CBA not a certainty before the draft we may have no choice but to select JJ, who I think would be a great addition. But if we have the chance to select a DL like Cam Jordan or Stephen Paea and wait until round 2/3 for a WR like a L. Hankerson, I would not be unhappy.

What say ye?

If FA starts before the draft and the Rams are able to land Sidney Rice or Vincent Jackson, I still think they should take a WR early, but not necessarily in Round 1.

Based upon my Mock, in that circumstance it would probably come down to Jones, Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan and Akeem Ayers.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I enjoyed reading this, and look forward to some more down the line! Some reactions I had to some of the picks...

• Bowers is certainly an option for Carolina, but if they can retain Charles Johnson, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go another direction.
    • Fairley to Buffalo is a great fit, IMO. I think he's scheme diverse and could be an impact player at the five-technique spot.
    • The Senior Bowl buzz around Von Miller is he could crack the top five, and I think Arizona makes a lot of sense.
    • I'm not sure Ingram fits the kind of running game Shanahan likes to run, but the need is obviously there.
    • Quinn would probably play OLB in Houston, as they're switching to a 3-4 under Wade Philips. But he makes sense because they need another outside rusher in that scheme.
    • The Patriots would have a hard choice between Kerrigan and Jordan there; both would be exceptional picks for their D.
    • The Giants spent a first round pick last year on DE Jason Pierre-Paul, so I don't know that they'd necessarily go back to the well with Jordan unless they maybe view him as a 4-3 DT.
    • I think the Saints would be very pleased to see Clayborn available, as I agree they could use some help at DE.
    • Heyward to the Patriots makes a lot of sense; they definitely need to get younger on defense and the value there is good IMO.

Looking forward to the next update! I'm hoping to get a new mock out after the Senior Bowl is concluded, perhaps with a second round if I'm feeling ambitious.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    perhaps with a second round if I'm feeling ambitious.
    I don't think I'll be that ambitious until April.

Thanks for the comments!

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Av
    I would rather have Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama or Aldon Smith, OLB/DE, Missouri at pick 14. I know the Rams need a Top flight WR bad but can't pass up these two players.
    I don't think these 2 players will even be on the board at 14.
    I like these WR's in the 2nd round Torrey Smith, WR/KR, Maryland, Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami & Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State in that order.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Im disappointed your on the julio jones bandwagon Av.

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    Im disappointed your on the julio jones bandwagon Av.
    I wouldn't call it a bandwagon. It just makes sense.