Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Av's Senior Bowl Week Rams 7 Round Mock Draft (Version 3.0)

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Av's Senior Bowl Week Rams 7 Round Mock Draft (Version 3.0)

Time for another update!

As always, I'm not projecting any trades.

I'm also adding a 7th round pick from the Colts for the Josh Gordy trade (though the pick, as far as I know, remains undisclosed).

Round 1(2): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (no change)
    I'm still going with Matthews with the Rams' first selection. He provides the Rams with leverage against Rodger Saffold's agent, and insurance for Jake Long. I also like the fact that, with Matthews, you don't need to use the words "upside" or "potential." By stayin in school one year longer than he had to, he's demonstrated that his game is developed and ready for the NFL.

Round 1(13): Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama (Prior Selection: Justin Gilbert)
    The Rams need a "center fielder" for their defense. Clinton-Dix is a player who can fill that role as a rookie. Sometimes, we over-think and over-analyze prospects, instead of just trusting what we see on the field. I remember watching the 2013 BCS Championship game, which featured several future NFL defenders, and thinking "that Clinton-Dix guy is the best defensive player in this game."

Round 2: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (Prior Selection: Gabe Jackson)
    From sleeper to keeper! In today's NFL, you need (at least) three starting-quality CBs. Jean-Baptiste, who is getting rave reviews at the Senior Bowl practices, would provide a unique size and skill package that is needed against the big WRs and TEs that the Rams will face. He also will enhance the run defense with his physicality.

Round 3: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi (Prior Selection: Denzel Perryman)
    Perryman is returning to school, and I think that Jackson may last to the 3rd round. If he does, the Rams would be able to add a mauler for the run game who could help counter the NFC West's tough front 7s. While Jackson is not known to be a nimble pass blocker, he should be fairly immune to the bull rush.

Round 4: Christian Jones, LB, Florida State (Prior Selection: Jimmy Garoppolo)
    Garoppolo will likely be long gone by this point, so I had to go in another direction. Jones could jump in and start at SLB, while also providing depth at the other two LB spots. He has good range and should test well at the Combine.

Round 5: Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky (Prior Selection: Max Bullough)
    Andrews was my selection at this point in my Version 1.0 Mock, and I'm going back to him. He was extremely productive, both as a runner and a receiver. He has a "bowling ball" type build (5'10, 225), much like Zac Stacy. I'm also happy to hear that he has done well picking up the blitz in Senior Bowl practices.

Round 6: Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornell (Prior Selection: Deandre Coleman)
    Here's a developmental QB who is more in the Rams' price range. Matthews opened some eyes at the East-West Shrine Game. He has good size and a strong arm. The Rams did okay drafting an Ivy League QB a few years ago (Ryan Fitzpatrick), so why not again?

Round 7: Johnathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky (no change)
    I'll stick with Dowling, the talented safety who went from Florida to Western Kentucky to resurrect his college career. Having his teammate Andrews, could prove beneficial. The talent is there, much like Ray Ray Armstrong. Now it just needs to be well directed and utilized.

Round 7: Kerry Hyder, DT, Texas Tech (no prior selection)
    With the final pick, I'm taking a guy to add to the DT rotation. Hyder is somewhat of an undersized "tweener," at 6'2, 280, but he's very active, averaging over 60 tackles per year in his final two seasons. His best year was 2012, when he also had 17 TFL and 6 sacks.

Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-23-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    thermobee and BarronWade like this.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Senior Bowl Week Rams 7 Round Mock Draft (Version 3.0)

Outstanding draft. Would be enthralled if we ended up with these guys.

Jean-Baptiste was very impressive at the Senior Bowl today. Love the way he breaks on the ball. If he runs under 4.50 at the Combine, he might not get out of the first round.

Jackson was a bit of a disappointment. Still think he has potential, but he'll need to learn to deal with quicker players more effectively.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-03-2014 at 12:07 AM.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Ok Av, i will bite

Respectfully of course

I have said it many times before that i dont want an OT in the 1st. BUT, if we did grab one, it would be Matthews, and i understand the choosing of him.

As for Clinton-Dix, i have made my opinions clear. He is above average at everything, but not great at anything. I wouldnt mind having him if we pick him.

My only problem real problem with your mock is Jean-Baptiste. He is not a 2nd rounder. he is raw at CB. If he is selected before the 3rd round i would be surprised, just my opinion. Before the the senior bowl he was a 4th/5th round pick, and i do no think his performance raised him to the 2nd round. I understand though, beacause cb's like Shermen have excelled, CB's likw Jean-Baptiste will rise if they show talent like he has. Still don't think he is a 2nd round talent at the moment, but come draft time, it could happen. Right now though i view him as a 4th round pick. He is very raw.

Not saying your opinion is wrong Av, but your mock is the first that i have seen with him going before the 4th round that i have seen. Chances are he will rise, but i don't think he will rise to the 2nd round. But given his size and ability after just 3 years at the position, while only starting for 2 years, you may be correct in the end.

I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve.

SJB fits the mold of the "in vogue" big CBs. My gut tells me he will continue to rise, and will be a very good NFL player.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User
    I'd be over the moon with this draft, love the round 2 and 3 selections. The only pick I'd question is taking an RB when the Rams already have 4 young backs on the roster. I'd prefer taking a TE there to possibly replace Kendrick's role if he walks next year.

By the way, Nick Wagner mentioned in an ESPN chat last week that Snead has confirmed that the Colts pick is indeed a 7th.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not crazy, I'm just ahead of the curve.

SJB fits the mold of the "in vogue" big CBs. My gut tells me he will continue to rise, and will be a very good NFL player.
    No doubt they are "in vogue", and i think the lack of CB's prospects his size will help him move up as well. I like him and hope we grab him, just hope its not as soon as the 2nd.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Time for another update!

As always, I'm not projecting any trades.

I'm also adding a 7th round pick from the Colts for the Josh Gordy trade (though the pick, as far as I know, remains undisclosed).

Round 1(2): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M (no change)
    I'm still going with Matthews with the Rams' first selection. He provides the Rams with leverage against Rodger Saffold's agent, and insurance for Jake Long. I also like the fact that, with Matthews, you don't need to use the words "upside" or "potential." By stayin in school one year longer than he had to, he's demonstrated that his game is developed and ready for the NFL.

The Rams need a "center fielder" for their defense. Clinton-Dix is a player who can fill that role as a rookie. Sometimes, we over-think and over-analyze prospects, instead of just trusting what we see on the field. I remember watching the 2013 BCS Championship game, which featured several future NFL defenders, and thinking "that Clinton-Dix guy is the best defensive player in this game."

Round 2: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska (Prior Selection: Gabe Jackson)
    From sleeper to keeper! In today's NFL, you need (at least) three starting-quality CBs. Jean-Baptiste, who is getting rave reviews at the Senior Bowl practices, would provide a unique size and skill package that is needed against the big WRs and TEs that the Rams will face. He also will enhance the run defense with his physicality.

Round 3: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi (Prior Selection: Denzel Perryman)
    Perryman is returning to school, and I think that Jackson may last to the 3rd round. If he does, the Rams would be able to add a mauler for the run game who could help counter the NFC West's tough front 7s. While Jackson is not known to be a nimble pass blocker, he should be fairly immune to the bull rush.

Round 4: Christian Jones, LB, Florida State (Prior Selection: Jimmy Garoppolo)
    Garoppolo will likely be long gone by this point, so I had to go in another direction. Jones could jump in and start at SLB, while also providing depth at the other two LB spots. He has good range and should test well at the Combine.

Round 5: Antonio Andrews, RB, Western Kentucky (Prior Selection: Max Bullough)
    Andrews was my selection at this point in my Version 1.0 Mock, and I'm going back to him. He was extremely productive, both as a runner and a receiver. He has a "bowling ball" type build (5'10, 225), much like Zac Stacy. I'm also happy to hear that he has done well picking up the blitz in Senior Bowl practices.

Round 6: Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornell (Prior Selection: Deandre Coleman)
    Here's a developmental QB who is more in the Rams' price range. Matthews opened some eyes at the East-West Shrine Game. He has good size and a strong arm. The Rams did okay drafting an Ivy League QB a few years ago (Ryan Fitzpatrick), so why not again?

Round 7: Johnathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky (no change)
    I'll stick with Dowling, the talented safety who went from Florida to Western Kentucky to resurrect his college career. Having his teammate Andrews, could prove beneficial. The talent is there, much like Ray Ray Armstrong. Now it just needs to be well directed and utilized.

Round 7: Kerry Hyder, DT, Texas Tech (no prior selection)
    With the final pick, I'm taking a guy to add to the DT rotation. Hyder is somewhat of an undersized "tweener," at 6'2, 280, but he's very active, averaging over 60 tackles per year in his final two seasons. His best year was 2012, when he also had 17 TFL and 6 sacks.

I'd take Clowney over Mathews and draft a QB sooner than the 6th. Other than that it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'd take Clowney over Mathews and draft a QB sooner than the 6th. Other than that it looks good.
    Your comment made me think... how would I adjust this Mock if the Rams were to take Clowney with the first pick?

I think I'd switch the #13 pick to Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin, switch the 3rd round pick to Craig Loston (S, LSU), switch Hyder to Ryan Groy (OG/OT, Wisconsin).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-27-2014 at 02:54 PM.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    By the way, Nick Wagner mentioned in an ESPN chat last week that Snead has confirmed that the Colts pick is indeed a 7th.
    What's the deal with this Colts pick?

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    What's the deal with this Colts pick?
    That's from the Josh Gordy trade. We have their 7th round pick in addition to our own.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

U hit the nail right on the head with that statement...I remember last year all the safeties were debated heavily before the draft everyone tries to find all these weaknesses and stuff...There were plenty times I thought Clinton-dix was the best secondary defender on...And Clinton-dix brings to this team everything we lacked in the secondary a true centerfielder.

He already being over analyzed like Kenny Vaccaro last year I already see him dropping from a sure top 10 to late first rounder
    Your comment made me think... how would I adjust this Mock if the Rams were to take Clowney with the first pick?

I think I'd switch the #13 pick to Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin, switch the 3rd round pick to Craig Loston (S, LSU), switch Hyder to Ryan Groy (OG/OT, Wisconsin).
    I like the mathews pick and find him to be a strong cornerstone to the team but I am also in favor of Clowney's talent and potential

Offensive line is a need but I do not think it is one of those dire needs that we have to draft one in the 1st round. I would be comfortable if we took Clowney then responded with Clinton-Dix; to have a chance in our division we need to have at least a top 7 defense.

Just curious AV; how would you feel about doubling up on Defense in the 1st (it seems unlikely but still a possibility)?

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Just curious AV; how would you feel about doubling up on Defense in the 1st (it seems unlikely but still a possibility)?
    Currently, there is not a defensive player that I'd take at No. 2. However, if you start from the premise that the Rams take Clowney with that pick, my answer would depend on where we are from an OL standpoint when draft day arrives. Have we re-signed Saffold? How about Chris Williams? Is Jake Long projcted to be ready for opening day? Have we signed any FA OL? If the OL is solidified by then, I could see taking two defensive players in the first round.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'd like that draft better than the first but I'd still draft a Qb before the 6th round.

I think I'd rather see what we have in Ray Ray Armstrong if Dunbar is not back, before passing on the best QB left on the board in the 4th (whoever that might be).

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post

I'd like that draft better than the first but I'd still draft a Qb before the 6th round.

I think I'd rather see what we have in Ray Ray Armstrong if Dunbar is not back, before passing on the best QB left on the board in the 4th (whoever that might be).
    After the first three rounds, every QB is pretty much a wild card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast