Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Av's Sensible FA Shopping List

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    While I share the dreams of obtaining guys like Haynesworth, Peppers, Suggs or Gross, I think its pretty clear that the Rams will be shopping in the Second Tier of the FA market. That's fine, as long as the Rams spend money to keep their own key FAs (Atogwe, Bartell, Adeyanju). Here are my "sensible" FA targets.

Jason Brown, C, Ravens
    Big, young and experienced. Generally, that would equate to a high FA price. However, given that the Ravens will have to spend a great deal to keep other FAs, and the fact that centers generally don't command the largest contracts, Brown is a guy who could be in the Rams price range. Signing him would alleviate the need to take a center in the first three rounds of the draft, allowing another need to be filled.

Derrick Ward, RB, Giants
    Although Ward is 28, he has only 342 career carries. Its questionable whether the Giants can afford to pay him along with Brandon Jacobs, particularly when they have another capable back in Ahmad Bradshaw on their roster. Ward would create a nice 1-2 punch with Jackson.

James Farrior, ILB, Steelers
    Though Farrior has been playing in a 3-4, I think he has the size to play MLB in a 4-3 as well. He is 34, but is still very productive (133 tackles in 2008). With the youth on the Rams' defense, it would be nice to have a guy like Farrior in a veteran leadership role.

Sean Jones, S, Browns
    Jones has the size of a SS (6'1, 220) but the coverage skils of a FS (14 interceptions in the last 3 years). I like the idea of him playing along side Atogwe. He has had some injury issues, which should keep his price down, but is young enough to be a good long-term prospect.
    I could see Jason Brown going after a deal similar to Jeff Faine that 37 mil, so i'm not sure how sensible that is. Just becuase the Ravens won't pay doesn't mean someone else won't.

Derrick Ward, I also think he will be looking for bigger money and i'd rather spend money somewhere else than putting so much money in the RB position, Ward will get paid this offseason. He hasn't had a ton of carries in his carrear and I could see him going to someone like the Bengals for some change.

James Farrior. I believe he resinged with the steelers and he is quite old I would rather build a young nucleus.

Sean Jones- Depends on what teams think about his injuries if they look past him he will be the top SS possibly top safety in this class along with Jermaine Phillips. I think he may be reasonable after we deal with OJ, Bartell, and Vic.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    James Farrior. I believe he resinged with the steelers
    Nope. He's a UFA.

and he is quite old I would rather build a young nucleus.
    He's 34 and had 133 tackles this year. I'm not saying that the Rams should sign him to a 5 year contract, but if they can get him on a deal that would tie up money for only 2 seasons, I think he'd be a good leader for the defense.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I like this list. Jason Brown would be my favorite choice, because if we do indeed select OT with the 2nd pick and add Brown, that would greatly upgrade this offensive line. Also, Is it fair to say James Butler would be a sensible FA, due to his connection with Spags? Or is that (meaning players wanting to follow their former coaches) sometimes blown out of proportion?
    Last edited by eric2810; -01-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think Ward will command more money than a sensible shopper would like to dole out.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Also, Is it fair to say James Butler would be a sensible FA, due to his connection with Spags? Or is that (meaning players wanting to follow their former coaches) sometimes blown out of proportion?
    I don't think it's been overblown - in fact, I almost expect him to follow Spags to St. Louis. It just makes too much sense. He's young (26) and the only reason he's expendable is because NY's former first-rounder, Kenny Phillips, is taking over the spot.

From what I've read, he's a very smart player and was one of the leaders of the Giants' defense, making many on-field calls/adjustments. He has good size (6'3, 215) and is a physical player, capable of stepping up into the box. He may not be the fastest guy on the field, but makes up for it with his intelligence.

Sounds like a young Corey Chavous to me, only a little bigger. He'd also be able to come in and teach the Rams' holdovers the ins and outs of the defense, assuming Flajole brings the same basic playbook.

Good list Avenger, especially Jason Brown. Farrior is the only one I'd be concerned about - he may still be a capable player at 34, but it might be tough on him to try to switch from a 3-4 to 4-3 so late in his career. Seems like too much of a risk.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I'd like to snag a couple of players from this list, but the way free agency has been acting the last couple of years puts serious doubt into my head that any signing is going to be "sensible" at this point. Too much money being shelled out to Rookies, and too much money being shelled out to non deserving Free Agents.

Weddle Guest

Anyone know what sort of cap room we have? I couldn't find it anywhere online.

I'd like to think we'd chase an elite LB, but Michael Boley would be a nice pick-up IMO

richtree is offline Registered User

In order to compete next season, assuming that we are going to do the following to things:

1. Draft OL round 1
    2. Cut C. Chavous

We have to get One or Both in free agency a LB or DT that can make an impact as a immediate starter

we have to find someone, and since the free agency pool is so deep this year I think we should be able to find someone at a decent price

If we don't attack free agency we will have weak LB's with no rush or stopping the plundge up the middle

bigtiger737 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Ward has said in a public interview, sitting next to Bradshaw and Jacobs, that he wants them to sign elsewhere, so he can get the carries. Not sure he's like to get behind another star running back.
    Ha he's gonna end up starting for the lions.. poor poor man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12