Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Av's "Top 35" Mock

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's hard to respect an accolade when it was awarded after the individual performed the worst of anyone starting at his position. I recognize that succeeding in the NFL as an UDFA is a very notable accomplishment, but that doesn't change the fact that he was the worst pass protecting left tackle in the league last year. How anyone can respect and even advertise a player's Pro Bowl appearance knowing that is beyond me.

And you yourself emphasized how absolutely rare his story is, so I'm not sure why you'd respond to my post by reminding me about him.

Again, nearly 80% of the league started a left tackle in 2008 that came from either the first or second round of the draft. I agree that such a figure means it's not impossible to find a starting LT later on. But it certainly suggests it's a pretty tough task to accomplish and be successful at.

I'd also point out that the 20% of starting left tackles who weren't first or second round picks are at best a mixed bag when it comes to talent. For every Jason Peters or Donald Penn, there's a Mike Gandy, John St. Clair, or Mario Henderson, marginal starters who are either journeymen or in need of replacement or both.

And again, I think there's certainly very realistic reasons to doubt that one of the top six OT prospects will be there when the Rams pick, and I don't want to see them reach for a lesser prospect of poorer value because of necessity. Thus, I'm leaning first round OT. Especially since the Rams are in a position to choose one of if not the best in this class.

Let me know which undrafted offensive lineman you're leaning towards, and we'll see how he does in the next couple of years.

First I'd like to say that even if he gave up the most sacks in the league, (and let's assume just for arguement's sake, he was at full strength for every down he was on the field) that still doesn't necessarily mean he was the "worst pass protecting LT" in the game. How you could possibly know that is beyond me.

Credited sacks allowed does not, and never will, tell the whole story. Who's to say that half of those sacks weren't somebody else's fault? Maybe there was miscommunication between he and a fellow lineman or RB or QB, or TE on some of those. That happens every once in awhile doesn't it?

Whatever the case, he still made the pro-bowl for some unknown reason. My guess is his talent, but I've been wrong before.

I don't think Alex Barron for example, could lead the league in sacks allowed and walk away with a pro-bowl berth to show for it, do you?

For you to discredit the man without even taking into account what may have happened on some of those "league-leading sacks" he allowed (unless of course, you do know, but you're just not saying), makes it appear to me that maybe you simply don't like Jason Peters. And that's fine. I can see how holding out 2 years in a row, while insisting on being the highest paid LT in the game might rub some people the wrong way.

Still, he's an Undrafted 2-time Probowler like it or not.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-28-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    For you to discredit the man without even taking into account what may have happened on some of those "league-leading sacks" he allowed (unless of course, you do know, but you're just not saying), makes it appear to me that maybe you simply don't like Jason Peters.
    I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. What I know about Jason Peters is based on the information available. Let me summarize.

Peters held out into September and did not play in the opening game because of it. He was cleared physically, said himself he was at 100% and ready, and returned in Week Two.

He then started thirteen games for the Bills, from their Week 2 game @ Jacksonville to their Week 15 game @ the Jets. Neither KFFL nor Rotoworld have ANY injury reports during this span. During this span, he allowed 11.5 sacks.

News broke that he was voted to the Pro Bowl on December 16th, after his Week 15 game. The first injury report appears on KFFL on December 17th; Peters would not play in the final two games of the season, so he couldn't have been taken advantage of while injured during that time.

There are no injury reports on either KFFL or Rotoworld for Jason Peters during his 13 starts. During that time frame, he allowed more sacks than any other starting left tackle in the league. If you want to object to my calling him the worst pass protecting left tackle based on that information, that's fine.

But I'm not going to blindly accept his 2008 Pro Bowl initiation as undeniable proof of his superior present status when there's other information that suggests otherwise. He is a very talented player but it seems pretty clear to me he had a poor season last year. The Rams are in a position to draft someone who might turn out even better than Peters when it's all said and done; I'm willing to take that chance.

I feel we've kind of derailed this thread though, so that will be my final word on this topic. Nice debate!

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I got a question for everyone. i am posting it here because it is not the "thread starter" type of topic so.....

Who do you think will be the 6 players invited to the draft?

Also do you think those 6 will be the 1st 6 off the board.

Like Av's Draft might have the 6 invited to the draft in:

Jason Smith
    Eugene Monroe
    BJ Raji
    Matt Stafford
    Brian Orakpo
    Aaron Curry

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Solid draft; however, I feel that not drafting Curry will be a huge mistake. Tackles like Monroe come in every draft, and there not even SPECTACULAR must draft players such as Orlando Pace, Jake Long, Robert Gallery, ect. Are they fine players? Yes, but it's easier to find a player like Monroe, J. Smith, and Andre Smith in drafts than finding a spectacular linebacker in Aaron Curry in the draft.

Curry is a rare breed of inteligence, leadership, speed, power, strength and great character that makes it hard for me to choke on passing up on him. If you look at all the top defenses (Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Baltimore) they all have that one linebacker who disrupts everything.

Also, I feel in Round 2 that we can still pick up a good tackle, I do not think that we can find another Curry. It goes Curry, and then drops off to another level with Rey Maualuga and James L. from Ohio State.

Saying that...would I be mad at drafting Monroe over Curry? Not entirely, it'd be more sheer disapointment on knowing what we just passed up, and how Curry is going to tear the NFL up.
    This mirrors my thoughts exactly in re to the OT situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123