Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Av's Top 5 Prospects at the Top 5 Need Positions (Plus 5 more!)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's Top 5 Prospects at the Top 5 Need Positions (Plus 5 more!)

Right now, there are five positions where the Rams seem tohave the greatest need to improve their talent.

They are (in no particular order): WR, OT, OG, LB and S

So, here is an early look at my Top 5 players for the Top 5Need Positions:

Wide Receiver

1. Terrance Williams, Baylor (6’2, 205)
    2. Keenan Allen, California (6’3, 210)

3. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson (6’1, 200)
    4. Robert Woods, USC (6’1, 190)
    5. Justin Hunter, Tennessee (6’4, 200)

Offensive Tackle

Luke Joekel, Texas A&M (6’6, 310)
    2. Taylor Lewin, Michigan (6’7, 310)

3. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (6’5, 305)
    4. D.J. Fluker, Alabama (6’6, 335)

5. Dallas Thomas, Tennessee (6’5, 310)

Offensive Guard

Chance Warmack, Alabama (6’2, 322)

2. Barrett Jones, Alabama (6’4, 305)
    3. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina (6’3, 310)
    4. Larry Warford, Kentucky (6’3, 343)
    5. Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State (6’4, 320)

Linebacker

Manti Te’o, Notre Dame (6’2, 255)

2. Jarvis Jones, Georgia (6’2, 242)
    3 Barkevious Mingo, LSU (6’4, 240)

4. Chase Thomas, Stanford (6’4, 248)
    5. C.J. Mosley, Alabama (6’2, 232)

Safety

Eric Reid, LSU (6’2, 212)

2. T.J. McDonald, USC (6’2, 205)
    3. Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma (5’11, 212)
    4. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas (6’1, 218)
    5. Matt Elam, Florida (5’10, 202)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -11-13-2012 at 01:05 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

re: Av's Top 5 Prospects at the Top 5 Need Positions (Plus 5 more!)

I prefer Barrett Jones to Chance Warmack but at the end of the day I'd be ecstatic with either. Warmack has the perfect OG physique. I also don't exactly know how KeKe Mingo and Jarvis Jones would fit into our scheme, though they are amazing pass rushers. I guess we could use them in the same sort of role that the Broncos use Von Miller in.

I think a few WR's are great, but I dont know if we should take one. It takes too long to develop these guys (unless you land an A.J Green). I prefer to hit the FA market for a #1 WR.
    ManofGod likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I prefer Barrett Jones to Chance Warmack but at the end of the day I'd be ecstatic with either. Warmack has the perfect OG physique.
    Both are great prospects, but Jones has more of the build of a center, which is why I gave Warmack the edge.

I also don't exactly know how KeKe Mingo and Jarvis Jones would fit into our scheme, though they are amazing pass rushers. I guess we could use them in the same sort of role that the Broncos use Von Miller in.
    While those two players, as well as Te'o, will be pegged as 3-4 players by some, I think they are the kind of guys who could fit in any scheme. I think Jeff Fisher and Dave McGinnis would love drawing up blitz packages for them.

I think a few WR's are great, but I dont know if we should take one. It takes too long to develop these guys (unless you land an A.J Green). I prefer to hit the FA market for a #1 WR.
    Its a bit of a two-edged sword. If last year's market is an indication, FA WRs tend to be overpaid. So, unless you can grab a guy whos is proven AND young (i.e. Mike Wallace, Victor Cruz), it might be better to draft and be patient.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

AV, what can you tell me about Eric Reid? My friends mom actually is close friends with his father and was telling me about him a few weeks ago. Is he really a high talent at the Safety position or is he the best of a mediocre crop of safetys?

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    AV, what can you tell me about Eric Reid? My friends mom actually is close friends with his father and was telling me about him a few weeks ago. Is he really a high talent at the Safety position or is he the best of a mediocre crop of safetys?
    I'd say he's a Blue Chip prospect and clearly the top rated safety at this stage. He has prototypical size and has good production (in 7 games: 39 tackles, 2 Ints., 3 passes defended) in one of the top defenses in NCAA football. With a good 40 time and no "red flags," I'd expect him to be selected in the top 20 picks.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If last year's market is an indication, FA WRs tend to be overpaid. So, unless you can grab a guy whos is proven AND young (i.e. Mike Wallace, Victor Cruz), it might be better to draft and be patient.
    I don't want to hear that... Sam will be in his fourth year and if we start the season without a big time play-maker number one FA WR that will be sad. We have failed the kid.

Keenan Allen from Cal is he a big time AJ Green type?

I did go out of my way to watch Manti Te’o, he was impressive. Kind of reminds me of a better, bigger version of Pisa Tinoisamoa.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the FO does. What is their priority. Can they rebuild the O line with mid level FA and Mid round drat picks or will they go with a blue chip first RD pick. Do they break the bank on a FA elite O linemen? Will they break the bank and go after a Victor Cruz? Will they cut ties with SJax and draft a RB or stand pat with the three rookies they already have?

As I see it the three biggest needs in order.

Evaluate and fix the O line.
    Add a true number one elite receiver.
    Safety has to be improved.

We have the picks and the cap space.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't want to hear that... Sam will be in his fourth year and if we start the season without a big time play-maker number one FA WR that will be sad. We have failed the kid.

Keenan Allen from Cal is he a big time AJ Green type?

I did go out of my way to watch Manti Te’o, he was impressive. Kind of reminds me of a better, bigger version of Pisa Tinoisamoa.

It's going to be very interesting to see what the FO does. What is their priority. Can they rebuild the O line with mid level FA and Mid round drat picks or will they go with a blue chip first RD pick. Do they break the bank on a FA elite O linemen? Will they break the bank and go after a Victor Cruz? Will they cut ties with SJax and draft a RB or stand pat with the three rookies they already have?

As I see it the three biggest needs in order.

Evaluate and fix the O line.
    Add a true number one elite receiver.
    Safety has to be improved.

We have the picks and the cap space.
    First, NO Keenan Allen is NOT on A.J Green's level. Matter of fact, he may not even be the consensus #1 WR coming out this year, its still up for debate.

Manti Te'o is impressive. He is a tackling machine. Im going to have to watch a little more tape on him and see some more things.

And Victor Cruz will NOT be available in the FA market, so forget about that right now! We still have the option of Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, and Mike Wallace (depends on who gets re-signed and who doesn't).

THE DREAM TEAM

Nobody in this draft strikes me as an A.J. Green type prospect. I also agree that Allen is not necessarily going to be the No. 1 guy when all is said and done.

Of the FA WR crop, I definitely think Wallace is the top prize, but he won't come cheap.

One guy who could be worth a look is Ramses Barden. Perhaps now that the Giants have "broken him in," he's ready to take the next step with a new team.

There is no doubt that FA will have a major impact on the Rams' draft plans. Right now, though, I think most would agree that the five positions I've listed are the top need spots.

If there is no WR coming out that is an A.J. Green type prospect then we have to go get a FA IMO. I hope it's Greg Jennings. Just get one!

Jennings
    Amendola
    Givens
    Quick
    Pettis
    Gibson

There would be no excuses for Bradford in year four not to have a breakout year.

If there is no WR coming out that is an A.J. Green type prospect then we have to go get a FA IMO. I hope it's Greg Jennings. Just get one!

Jennings
    Amendola
    Givens
    Quick
    Pettis
    Gibson

There would be no excuses for Bradford in year four not to have a breakout year.
    My concern with Jennings is his age. I don't want to give a 4 year contract to a guy who has 1-2 good years left.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    My concern with Jennings is his age. I don't want to give a 4 year contract to a guy who has 1-2 good years left.
    He is only in year seven, he has way more then one or two good years left in him. Holt played 10 years for the Rams but hurt his knee, Bruce played 14 years for the Rams. Jennings is in his prime, he's far from done. Load the contract on the back end if you are iffy... He can help develop Givens and Quick over the next four years.

He is only in year seven, he has way more then one or two good years left in him. Holt played 10 years for the Rams but hurt his knee, Bruce played 14 years for the Rams. Jennings is in his prime, he's far from done. Load the contract on the back end if you are iffy... He can help develop Givens and Quick over the next four years.
    I don't think Jennings has too much time left either, and no way do I think he is in his prime. I still think he is capable of being a very good WR and a #1 on most teams, but in two years, no way. Plus, he has some injury issues. I'd still like to go get him though, at the right price of course.

THE DREAM TEAM

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Receivers tend to fall off in their early 30s. Jennings will be 30 next year and has had trouble staying on the field the past 2 seasons. The Packers also seem to be doing fine without him so he may just be a pretty good receiver who is a product of a great offense. Torry Holt stopped being a pro bowl calibur receiver at age 32 and many of the other elite receivers of the last decade showed big drop offs in their early 30s including Randy Moss and Chad Johnson. Jennings could be an exception to some of these rules but history shows that after this season he will most likely only have 1 or 2 good seasons left in him.

We are all frustrated by the team's inability to get Sam a #1 receiver but overpaying for an aging player whose best years are behind him may hurt the Rams more than it helps them in the long run.

Receivers are not running backs, yes 30 is the end for most RB not WR.

Vincent Jackson gets 5 years, $55M, the bucs signed him to a five year last year. By the way he's 29 years old.

Dwayne Bowe has been mentioned as a FA pick up, he's 28 years old.

OK Jennings is not in his prime... but he has plenty left in the tank IMO.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice write-up, Av. Some of my own personal thoughts...

At receiver, swap Hunter and Woods and you've probably got my rankings. Something about Woods doesn't blow me away. I think Allen is the best of the crop this year, but agree that none are at that A.J. Green level.

On the offensive line, I'm a Joekel man myself with Lewin coming in a close second. One name I wouldn't sleep on is Eric Fisher out of Central Michigan, who may be the best senior tackle in the class. At guard, your rankings look spot on; Warmack would be a great mid-first round pick by this team IMO.

At linebacker, count me among those who can't think outside the box enough, as I don't know if Te'o is worth a first round pick as an OLB and don't see Jones/Mingo as schematic fits at linebacker for the Rams. When you take some of those names off the list, this suddenly looks like a position that could be addressed on Day Two or early Day Three.

When it comes to safety, I agree with what you've got in the Top Five. Reid is definitely the tip of the class at this position, and could be another in a recent trend of LSU DBs making for very good first round picks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast