BarronWade is offline Registered User

B-Dub's 7 round Mock Draft

Feedback is appreciated negative or positive:

Round 1: Corey Liuget, DT Illinois

Analysis: If Jones is gone i think this is Smith vs. Liuget and believe Liuget is the better player. Immediate starter. Will penetrate. Probably will not put up good numbers but will put up good effort. Look Chris Long to take advantage when Liuget flushes the QB out of the pocket.

Round 2: Ras-I Dowling, DB Virginia

Analysis: Shown he is healthy at his pro day. Has the size Spags looks for in a DB. Can tackle well. Great Value in the middle 2nd. Excellent Zone defender will play FS for the Rams. As a corner he played over the top avoid the big play now it will be his job to do exactly that. Defensive playmaker with soft hands. He will make up for the INTs we lost went Otogwe went to Washington

Round 3: Shane Vereen, RB Cal

Analysis: Vereen was a back-up to a 1st round RB in Jahvid Best. And when Best got injured Vereen did a great job of carrying the load. Excellent receiver. 4-pillar player. Can this guy be a more perfect RB for the Rams? Jackson is our RB so Vereen will back him up just like he did for best. And Vereen's patience and balanced running style is perfect for the rams blocking scheme. Even though he is only 5-10 the guy is built. Who better to teach a balanced running style than the best balanced RB in the NFL steven Jackson?

Round 4: Greg Salas, WR Hawaii

Analysis: Salas possess something only Danny Boy has and thats durability. Salas never missed time for injury purposes in college. Salas reminds me a little of Hines Ward. He has a high football IQ he will find the opening in zone coverage and he will hold onto the ball even when he is in traffic. Reliable hands. He might want to add bulk to become a better blocker but shows outstanding effort he will get the blocks downfield. Salas can really contribute if we spread 5 WRs out because of his knack for reading the D and finding the openings.

Round 5: David Arkin, OG Missouri State

Analysis: Perfect 4 pillar player. played all 44 college games very durable. Only 300 pounds but profiles as a mauler. Always looking for a body to hit (or block if your a ref). He was a great OG that has quick feet. He was exposed in space last year when playing LT. But most importantly he has a nasty demeanor and will play through the whistle and picks up blitz well in pass protection. If he can be coached to use proper footwork more consistently he can really become a force.

Round 7: JT Thomas, OLB West Virginia

Analysis: a OLB that can zone cover well. Good speed. chance to make team

Round 7: Chis Conte, SS Cal

Analysis: Special team playmaker. Always looks to rip ball out in gang tackle situations. Will get his hands up to block punts.

Notes: i wanted to add a OLB in the middle rounds but just saw better picks. Ross Homan is a good option. Also if we fail to get a RB early look at Brandon Saine of OHio State he is a great pass catcher. 3rd down RB type.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: B-Dub's 7 round Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Feedback is appreciated negative or positive:

Round 1: Corey Liuget, DT Illinois

Analysis: If Jones is gone i think this is Smith vs. Liuget and believe Liuget is the better player. Immediate starter. Will penetrate. Probably will not put up good numbers but will put up good effort. Look Chris Long to take advantage when Liuget flushes the QB out of the pocket.
    I have no beef with this pick.

Round 2: Ras-I Dowling, DB Virginia

Analysis: Shown he is healthy at his pro day. Has the size Spags looks for in a DB. Can tackle well. Great Value in the middle 2nd. Excellent Zone defender will play FS for the Rams. As a corner he played over the top avoid the big play now it will be his job to do exactly that. Defensive playmaker with soft hands. He will make up for the INTs we lost went Otogwe went to Washington
    I like Dowling, but I'm not sure I'd address this spot in Round 2.

Round 3: Shane Vereen, RB Cal

Analysis: Vereen was a back-up to a 1st round RB in Jahvid Best. And when Best got injured Vereen did a great job of carrying the load. Excellent receiver. 4-pillar player. Can this guy be a more perfect RB for the Rams? Jackson is our RB so Vereen will back him up just like he did for best. And Vereen's patience and balanced running style is perfect for the rams blocking scheme. Even though he is only 5-10 the guy is built. Who better to teach a balanced running style than the best balanced RB in the NFL steven Jackson?
    Every back the Rams have invited for an interview (six in total) is at least 220 lbs. Vereen is listed at 210. I doubt he's on the Rams' radar.

Round 4: Greg Salas, WR Hawaii

Analysis: Salas possess something only Danny Boy has and thats durability. Salas never missed time for injury purposes in college. Salas reminds me a little of Hines Ward. He has a high football IQ he will find the opening in zone coverage and he will hold onto the ball even when he is in traffic. Reliable hands. He might want to add bulk to become a better blocker but shows outstanding effort he will get the blocks downfield. Salas can really contribute if we spread 5 WRs out because of his knack for reading the D and finding the openings.
    Wow. You ripped me for taking Austin Pettis in Round 5, and you're taking Salas in Round 4? Forget his gaudy numbers. Hawaii WRs have often put up big stats, but how many have become quality NFL players (Devone Bess is the only one I can think of, and he's not exactly a superstar). Don't like this pick.

Round 5: David Arkin, OG Missouri State

Analysis: Perfect 4 pillar player. played all 44 college games very durable. Only 300 pounds but profiles as a mauler. Always looking for a body to hit (or block if your a ref). He was a great OG that has quick feet. He was exposed in space last year when playing LT. But most importantly he has a nasty demeanor and will play through the whistle and picks up blitz well in pass protection. If he can be coached to use proper footwork more consistently he can really become a force.
    Don't like the weight profile. I think we need a guy with a bit more bulk.

Just because the Rams publicly express interest in a RB does not mean we will draft him. Remember back in 2009 Spags 1st draft we thought he would take a #2 RB then reports were out that we targeted on 3 RBs Shonne greene, Andre Brown, and Rashad Jennings (if you would like the link just pm me). Maybe greene would have been our pick if the Jets didnt jump in front of us. But in the 6th round we passed over Rashad Jennings to take Chris Ogabannya.

Also didnt Billy D say a change of pace Rb would be best for the team yet we have 220 pound RBs in Rams park. There might be some trickery there and i think Vereen would be the best pick for us at RB.

I believe Pettis is more of a project and i just find it hard for him to make the team right now. Salas is more NFL ready. I am not taking him here because of his numbers im taking him because of his Football IQ and effort he gives. His playing time will be when we spread our receivers out and Salas just has a knack of finding that space.

Bulk can always be added later. He has that nasty demeanor that would help us. And his pass protecting awareness wont make us sacrifice pass blocking ability when adam goldberg becomes a back up again.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

We're going to have to just agree to disagree.

lol well said at least we agree that a DL should be the 1st round pick if Jones is gone

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

I really like this mock draft, there's a lot of thought in this and you didn't reach just because it would be popular. One thing to keep in mind is just because the Rams invite a player doesn't mean they are any more interested in him over another. The Rams only invite players they require more information about. For example the Rams didn't invite James Laurinaitis, but they did invite Ray Maualuga.