throwback week

BarronWade is offline Registered User

B-Dub's Mock Off-Season 3.0 (It's Different)

Players Leaving:

Alex Barron- He had his shot at RT and LT and failed to be consistent at both and his penalties just killed so many drives. And he had some penalties when the Rams were gaining momentum. However with the right coaching he may be successful elsewhere.

Jon Wade- I dont think we will offer him a contending contract. He was our starter at CB and it was his spot to lose. First he lost it to Fletcher then he lost it Quincy Butler nuff said.

Leonard Little- Yes he is loved by clanram but it's time to move on. Little will be missed

Randy McMicheal- no explanation needed

Kyle Boller- He wasnt awful but he wasnt decent.

James Hall- Like Little we must move on and get a younger line.

Rams that will be re-signed:
    Craig Dahl
    Dave Vabora
    Larry Grant
    Billy Bajema

Cliff Ryan
    - He did a good job this year and we all know he deserves to be re-signed.

OJ Atogwe- He will sign a 2-3 year deal or be franchised

Contract Changed:
    Marc Bulger sheds between 2-3 mill from his contract for 2010. If we release him then we save 4 mill but have a void at an experience QB. So we save about 2.5 mill and keep him.

Free Agency

SLB Chris Gocong- He can play SLB. He is a solid player good tackler and can help JL.

RT Ryan Cook
    - Decent Tackle he can start for us.

DE Darryl Tapp- We take him away from Seattle give him a good contract for 3 years.

RB Jerious Norwood- He struggled last year but i think we should give him a 1 year deal and let him compete for the #2 spot.

2010 Draft

ROund 1:
    Current Pick: DT Ndamukong Suh
    Previous Pick: DT Ndamukong Suh
    Analysis: I wanted to make this different but im not an idiot.

Round 2:
    Current Pick: QB Dan Lefevour
    Previous Pick: RB Jahvid Best
    Analysis: I am already anticipating heat for this pick because it "will not be good draft value." But before the senior bowl Lefevour was a 3rd round projection and his biggest question mark was being under center. He was pretty comfortable if you ask me. ANd if you watched him it looks like he has been very well coached and he throws a very catchable foot ball. By the time the draft comes around Lefevour will be projected as a mid 2nd rounder but if we want him we have to reach. So bring on the heat about this pick.

Round 3:
    Current Pick: TE Jimmy Graham
    Previous Pick: OG Mike Johnson
    Analysis: It's about time that me make a statement about our Offense. We want to get bigger more physical well here is out guy. 6-8 260 pounds. Freakish athlete. Still raw so there is tons he can learn. It's obvious we need a playmaker and a red-zone threat and this is the guy. He is a bloomer/ bust candidate. He does drop the ball and has limited experience but he has the physical tools and can become a pro bowl/ superstar talent like Antonio Gates.

Round 4:
    Current Pick: DE Austen Lane
    Previous Pick: QB Jevan Snead
    Analysis: Just because we have Tapp does not mean we do not need a DE. Lane is big 6-7 270 pounds. He is also athletic. He has the physical tools but just needs the right coaching. What better coach is there then spags for a Defensive lineman?

Round 5:
    Current Pick: OG Reggie Stephens
    Previous Pick: CB Chris Cook
    Analysis: Very physical guard. 330+ pounds. Plenty of strength can push DTs back. But thats basically all he can do. Don't expect much else. He is like Cogs without the dumbassness.

Round 5:
    Current Pick: CB Chris Cook
    Previous Pick: OLB Kavell Conner
    Analysis: Cook has 6-2 height with good speed. He needs to do a better job of covering thou. He is an athlete. Cook is also a reliable tackler. Maybe he is more of a safety but we take a chance and see what we get.

The rest of the draft should be used to get 1 speedy WR, 1 physical OLB, and 1 run stopping DE in no particular order.

2010 Depth Chart
    QB: Marc Bulger- Dan Lefevour- Keith Null
    RB: Action Jackson-Jerious Norwood-Chris Ogbannya
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Laurant Robinson-Bandan Gibson-Donnie Avery-Danny Boy- Keenan Burton
    TE: Dan Fells-Jimmy Graham-Billy Bajema
    LT: Jason Smith-?
    LG: Jacob Bell- Reggie Stephens
    C: Jason Brown-?
    RG: John Grecco- Reggie Stephens
    RT: Ryan Cook-?

LE: Chris Long-Austen Lane
    DT: Ndamukong Suh- Adam Carriker
    DT: Cliff Ryan- Adam Carriker
    RE: Darryl Tapp- Adam Carriker- Austen Lane

SLB: Chris Gocong-Chamberlain
    MLB: JL
    WLB: David Vabora-Larry Grant-Chamberlain

CB#1- Ron Bartell-Quincy Butler
    FS: OJ-Dahl
    SS: James Butler- Dahl
    CB#2- Brad Fletcher-Chris Cook-Justin King

So what do you guys think????

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: B-Dub's Mock Off-Season 3.0 (It's Different)

I like that we are keeping Bulger and I like that you went with 3 offensive players in the first five picks. That side of the ball needs a lot of help.

The only pick I am not a big fan of is Graham. Yes I love him, yes he has potential but I don't like using our number 3 pick to add another young receiver to the equation. If at all possible I would like to see us add an experienced TE in free agency.

Overall very nice. Would feel positive about next year if it plays out this way.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I do like the draft to be honest. I know some will say LeFevour is high, but if his stock keeps on rising we will have to take him there or miss out on him

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I like that we are keeping Bulger and I like that you went with 3 offensive players in the first five picks. That side of the ball needs a lot of help.

The only pick I am not a big fan of is Graham. Yes I love him, yes he has potential but I don't like using our number 3 pick to add another young receiver to the equation. If at all possible I would like to see us add an experienced TE in free agency.

Overall very nice. Would feel positive about next year if it plays out this way.
    Like you noted his potential is good. And we have wide receivers but not a good TE. Think about it Graham could be our inside passing threat while Avery/Robinson/Gibby can be outside. We need someone that can get it done in the middle of the field. So i think Graham is good and lets see if he can become a Antonio Gates type player.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I agree that Wade & Randy Mc will probably be gone.But Barron will be dirt cheap as ,at the very least, a versatile durable back-up at tackle if there's no CBA and I see no upgrade with Cook. Isn't that why Minn replaced him with bulldozer Loadholt? Leads me to think that, despite his mistakes & spotty pass pro, Barron is a better run blocker than Cook.

If we're gonna get an FA on the OL, I'd rather have a quality vet RG.I really don't believe Goldberg, Sett, or Greco are that easily pencilled as a 16 game starter for various reasons. Possibles,imo, inc, if not the older Seubert to hold the fort until Greco is ready, or if NYG screws up,then Snee for the long term.I think that's a bigger hole than some think; we lost Warner,imo, largely because The Rams braintrust thought they were "one & done" with buying quality QB pro when they drafted Pace.

Tapp's been a disappointment for The Hags,no? And at both end spots & with a very strong LB corps behind him. I'd rather have a well-rested Little backing up Long or Hall's beef & versatility for another year while a draftee develops; I think DE is a very strong contender for our #2 spot if you're thinking purely in terms of need.Whether there will be a player at that position in contention for BPA when the time comes...

Both Gocong & Norwood would be great but I think both will be RFA & cost picks (3rd) if tendered by their respective teams & I think they would.

Not sure what you mean by your "re-signed' list. All those guys are either under contract through 2010-Bajema & I think Dahl- or ERFA, no matter what happens with the CBA, meaning they can't negotiate with another team unless The Rams don't want to pay them at least the league minimum for their experience. Can't see them dumping Vobora in light of that. Not so sure about Grant.

I'd rather The Rams find a two year stopgap QB before the draft, whether a cheaper Bulger or whoever.A lot easier to go BPA in either Rd 1 or 2 in that scenario. Not saying either of your picks wouldn't be in contention for BPA but need may color the issue more than we'd like.Figuring out the stopgap is easier said than done, of course, but if we did manage it, I'd guess BPA at DE or OLB would run neck & neck with a QB like Lefevour.

Nuttin' to say about the picks after that. Any guy who is a non-bust contributor in two years is fine with me. Baby steps....

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I agree that Wade & Randy Mc will probably be gone.But Barron will be dirt cheap as ,at the very least, a versatile durable back-up at tackle if there's no CBA and I see no upgrade with Cook. Isn't that why Minn replaced him with bulldozer Loadholt? Leads me to think that, despite his mistakes & spotty pass pro, Barron is a better run blocker than Cook.
    Thats where you are wrong. Barron needs discipline and he is a very good athlete. Look for a team with a need at OT to overpay for Barron like the Redskins.

Well Cook is not a great OT. But he can be solid. And he wont get as many penalties as Barron did. Remember Barron got some huge penalties that killed momentum building drives.

If we're gonna get an FA on the OL, I'd rather have a quality vet RG.I really don't believe Goldberg, Sett, or Greco are that easily pencilled as a 16 game starter for various reasons. Possibles,imo, inc, if not the older Seubert to hold the fort until Greco is ready, or if NYG screws up,then Snee for the long term.I think that's a bigger hole than some think; we lost Warner,imo, largely because The Rams braintrust thought they were "one & done" with buying quality QB pro when they drafted Pace.
    I never said they would be 16 game starters but i get where your coming from. But i think we need to try Grecco to see what he can do as a starter. I think he will be good. ANd this team is re-building we dont need a 1-2 yr veteran fill in.

Tapp's been a disappointment for The Hags,no? And at both end spots & with a very strong LB corps behind him. I'd rather have a well-rested Little backing up Long or Hall's beef & versatility for another year while a draftee develops; I think DE is a very strong contender for our #2 spot if you're thinking purely in terms of need.Whether there will be a player at that position in contention for BPA when the time comes...
    Tapp's strugles have been noted but he may turn it around with a better DL next to him and a better blitzing scheme than he had in seattle

Tapp-Suh-Ryan-Long

Tapp has pretty good stuff next to him.
    Both Gocong & Norwood would be great but I think both will be RFA & cost picks (3rd) if tendered by their respective teams & I think they would.
    Why would the falcons tender Norwood after the season he just had and the emergence Snelling?

The eagles just got spoon so i dont tthink they tender gocong

richtree is offline Registered User

i think your rounds 2-5 are out of wak.....austen lane will be up in the second round /. LeFevour is a huge reach and Graham is more like Jeremy Steven ., not Antonio Gates....

I would rate rounds 2 -7

C-
    Last edited by richtree; -02-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.

TakeSuh Guest

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    Thats where you are wrong. Barron needs discipline and he is a very good athlete. Look for a team with a need at OT to overpay for Barron like the Redskins.

Well Cook is not a great OT. But he can be solid. And he wont get as many penalties as Barron did. Remember Barron got some huge penalties that killed momentum building drives.

I never said they would be 16 game starters but i get where your coming from. But i think we need to try Grecco to see what he can do as a starter. I think he will be good. ANd this team is re-building we dont need a 1-2 yr veteran fill in.

Tapp's strugles have been noted but he may turn it around with a better DL next to him and a better blitzing scheme than he had in seattle

Tapp-Suh-Ryan-Long

Tapp has pretty good stuff next to him.

Why would the falcons tender Norwood after the season he just had and the emergence Snelling?

The eagles just got spoon so i dont tthink they tender gocong
    Barron will get approx $2 mill for one year from The Rams if he's RFA. Sorry, but there's nothing wrong with saying that's dirt cheap for a guy with his experience as a starter at both spots/durability/ability. If by "overpay" you mean that The Rams would get a first round pick in exchange from the Skins......I hope it happens. I certainly don't want Barron to get a fat longterm deal or be franchised at the average top LT price for a year if he becomes UFA.

Prove to me why Cook would be better.I'm not trying to be snotty; I really don't much about the guy except that he was benched in favor of a rookie & they had pass pro problems in the prior two seasons when he started. The penalties thing is too easy. Baby Huey would probably have fewer bonehead penalties than Barron but is Cook really better at either spot than Barron or blocking the run/pass? I can't get to the STATS LLC numbers for individual OTs sacks allowed these days but if you have some numbers to back up your opinion of the guy, I'd be interested.

All I know is Cook lost his spot to Loadholt, a rookie low 2nd rounder.Loadholt's scouted weakness was slow feet/speed rusher vulnerability, right? So my assumption is that Cook is not a great runblocker nor is he likely to be a good pass protector if a rookie leadfoot beat him out on a team that throws deep a lot. And if he is any good, why wouldn't Minn tender him as a 4th yr minimum so he can't leave (ERFA rule) & let him back-up, anyway?

I think teams are going to tender a lot if there's no CBA. You're talking about keeping quality young vets who know your system for much less than a longterm deal.The owners can't buy much without giving up picks but they can stockpile what they have for a year without either breaking the bank or mortgaging the future.

You are free to think what you like , BW, but I don't see Suh as this magical key element that, overnight, is going to turn our front seven into a unit that matches up well with Seattle's over Tapp's time there. They've had injury issues & I like Lau & Long as much as any Ram fan but the Ram unit is still weak in comparison. Maybe that line would be great but the Seattle front seven has been a much better unit over the last 2-3 years and deeper than The Rams' equivalent & we've all seen the games to prove it, sad to say.No way is Long as good as a healthy Kerney...yet. Ryan's OK but I wouldn't blink an eye if we replaced him with Colin Cole or Mebane.Never mind Curry, that guy Hawthorne probably played as well as Lau last year.The rest of The Rams DLers/LBs have question marks,imo, & the answer is probably not good for most.

I think their respective teams would want to tender both Gocong & Norwood for the same reasons you want them; they're pretty good/have potential & they can afford to for one year with no cap.

I think good teams will find it easier to repeat their success & rebuilders like The Rams will not be able to get better as fast as in a normal year . Very few guys just coming into their prime or at least worth the cheap one year rates as an experienced back-up/bit player will move this year,imo.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -02-03-2010 at 04:58 AM.