Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: B. Lloyd?

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Re: B. Lloyd?

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I agree. We are building a core group here. No reason to throw Lloyd in there just because we need a WR. Now if it was a younger Lloyd or someone that's a bigger playmaker. I would be fine with

But, if he comes cheap and we can sign him for just 1 year, I would be cool with it.
    As another poster mentioned, I think Washington is the best fit. He has big play ability, knows Fisher's system, and adds a veteran to a very young group of receivers. Guys like Givens, Quick, and whoever the Rams draft this year need someone to show the finer points of being a successful receiver in the NFL. Plus, Washington is younger and from what I have read a better teammate. Money is a factor though given the Rams cap situation after signing Jake Long. I can't imagine that Fisher wouldn't see the importance of adding a veteran WR to the team, even if it is a guy like Kevin Walter or Brandon Stokely.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    As another poster mentioned, I think Washington is the best fit. He has big play ability, knows Fisher's system, and adds a veteran to a very young group of receivers. Guys like Givens, Quick, and whoever the Rams draft this year need someone to show the finer points of being a successful receiver in the NFL. Plus, Washington is younger and from what I have read a better teammate. Money is a factor though given the Rams cap situation after signing Jake Long. I can't imagine that Fisher wouldn't see the importance of adding a veteran WR to the team, even if it is a guy like Kevin Walter or Brandon Stokely.
    If you're referring to Nate Washington, then that might not be a bad move. I could agree with that.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    If you're referring to Nate Washington, then that might not be a bad move. I could agree with that.
    Yes, I was referring to Nate Washington. Sorry for leaving that out. He seems to encompass everything the Rams need to round out their receiving core.
    RuffRams likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Obviously so but there is only so many WR roster spots... I'd rather have a guy who is not Bi-Polar who has at least 3-4 years left in the NFL that can be developed.
    Yeah, there are only so many WR roster spots.

Typically a team will carry 6, we currently have 3. If we draft two that can be developed (as you say) and sign Lloyd, that equals six in my estimation.

By the way, I don't believe Brandon Lloyd has been diagnosed as being bi-polar by anybody credible. Iknow it sounds good when trying to make your point, but let's at least give him the benefit of a professional diagnosis before we start trying make our points with it.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-18-2013 at 02:16 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The reason that we would "embrace" Lloyd would be that he had 79 catches last year, in my scenario would come very cheap on a short term contract, and has a pretty good history of productivity at the NFL level, which is more than can be said for our current wide receiver group, who i happen to like a great deal and am optimistic about in the future. It's about production. I am not saying signing Lloyd to a short term deal replaces the long term need. What i am saying is that transition from college to the pros at WR is very difficult, and just because you draft a guy, doesnt mean he is going to step in and produce day one. Fisher is bulding for the future which i agree with, but Lloyd represents some current production if our kids are taking longer to develop.

In short, if all we have are kids, i hope people that are rejecting the idea of Lloyd (or another vet short term on the cheap) remember that during the year when people are complaining that sammy doesnt have anyone to throw to that knows how to get open and make big catches. I dont think building for the future has to be mutually exclusive with signing a guy like Lloyd. What would be a huge mistake would be to spend a lot of money or make a long term commitment to a guy like lloyd, and no one is suggesting we do that.

By the way, i am not wed to lloyd by any means. I simply think a cheap short term vet would help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The reason that we would "embrace" Lloyd would be that he had 79 catches last year, in my scenario would come very cheap on a short term contract, and has a pretty good history of productivity at the NFL level, which is more than can be said for our current wide receiver group, who i happen to like a great deal and am optimistic about in the future. It's about production. I am not saying signing Lloyd to a short term deal replaces the long term need. What i am saying is that transition from college to the pros at WR is very difficult, and just because you draft a guy, doesnt mean he is going to step in and produce day one. Fisher is bulding for the future which i agree with, but Lloyd represents some current production if our kids are taking longer to develop.

In short, if all we have are kids, i hope people that are rejecting the idea of Lloyd (or another vet short term on the cheap) remember that during the year when people are complaining that sammy doesnt have anyone to throw to that knows how to get open and make big catches. I dont think building for the future has to be mutually exclusive with signing a guy like Lloyd. What would be a huge mistake would be to spend a lot of money or make a long term commitment to a guy like lloyd, and no one is suggesting we do that.

By the way, i am not wed to lloyd by any means. I simply think a cheap short term vet would help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Uh, oh, looks like Lloyd has an agent just like Terrence Williams out of Baylor has AV as his agent. Just kidding with you guys. GC, I don't disagree with having a veteran WR on the team, I just don't think this is the WR I would pick. As always you make great points about his productivity. But you have to admit having the O-Line Brady has in NE plus the other receiving options (Welker, Gronk & Hernandez) have something to do with that productivity. It now appears the Pat's are ready to re-sign him for less money, so that was probably the hidden agenda.

If my memory serves me, I always felt he was great catching the ball, but his YAC were not great. Which doesn't disqualify him, I just feel (he does too) his best work was with Josh McD's playbook. As it now appears we're tapped out signing FA's we're probably going to draft another WR or 2.

Go Rams!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123