Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 2 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By Nick

Thread: Back to the Draft - Post Frenzy Mock

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Back to the Draft - Post Frenzy Mock

The Rams could add some complimentary pieces still, some one year tryouts, but right now, it becomes clearer already where they will go on draft day. Getting Saffold back was a big deal, and adding another veteran guard like Joseph and bringing bcak Dahl later after he heals would seem to eliminate any guard need in the first four rounds.

All I wanted was Saffold back and a starting FS signed, so I have half my wish.
    The only safety out there really a top type is Clemons, and he's gonna want what other top guys got, or at least close. problem is, 7 teams that needed safeties signed one to a big deal, and two more will look to the draft for one of those top two guys.

That could drie Clemons price down, or he may just end up re-signing. Major Wright is a decent player, if you get him for a good rate, and still draft a FS high.

Looking at the free agents signed, the mock drafts have to be altered.

With Saffold back, the Rams first pick could all come down to what Paul Boudreau and Heff Fisher think of Joe Barksdale, who beat out Saffold for t he RT job last year.

IF they like Barksdale, they can pass on a tackle with pick 1a, and would no doubt trade down as expected.

Some receivers could still go, but the Jets got theirs in Decker. However, t hey could still go WR in round one, t he need there so huge after Holmes cut.

So here we go, and remember, it's just my OPINION.

1. Houston - B. Bortles QB - Houston has a lot of talent, but NO QB, so unless they sign or trade for a starter, I see no way they can go off-scheme and take Clowney.

2. Atlanta from Rams - J. Clowney DE trade to Atlatnta for #37 and high pick in 2015.

3. Jacksonville - Teddy Bridgewater QB BPA is a tackle, but Jags took one last year. Manziel may be tempting, but they go with the safer guy, the most ready guy

4. Sammie Watkins WR - The Browns are making a big push to compete, but they don't have a QB either. I'm not sure they go QB here as most expect. Manziel in that wind and cold, on grass?
    I think they hold their water on QB and use that 26th overall pick to get David Carr, moving up a bit if they feel he might get away.

BPA is a tackle still, but Browns are set there. THey signed a safety a LB and a CB thus far.
    I see the Browns going with Sammie Watkins, to pair with Josh Gordon....scary thought.

5. Oakland - Greg Robinson OT -Before a QB seemed possible, but now, in this scenario, i think they take RobinsonT Great Value, and makes the Saffold/Veldeer thing a bit more palitable for ex O-lineman Reggie Mckenzie.

6. Rams - Khalil Mack LB I think the Rams like Barksdale enough, with Saffold as a fall back option, and a very deep crop of OT in the draft, that Jeff Fisher will follow his history and go elsewhere.

7. Tampa Bay - Eric Ebron TE They filled the DE need with Michael Johnson, and I don't see them going with Manziel either. They lost a corner and added one. BPA here is WR, OT, TE, and they pull 1st surprise with Ebron.

8. Vikings - J. Manziel QB - They play inside, and see Manziel as the next Tarkenton, you betcha.

9. Buffalo - Jake Matthews OT Bills were hoping for Ebron, or Mack. BPA is WR and OT

10. Detroit - CB J. Gilbert Lions got a WR in Tate, so they pass on Mike Evans to take a bigger need.

11. Tennessee - T. Lewan T Seems like defense here, with CB, LB, and DE their top needs. They signed a DE in Woods. BPA on defense are CB D. Dennard and LB CJ Mosely, however, Lewan fills big need, and is value here.

12. NY Giants - CJ Mosely LB - The Giants like safe picks, and this is big need, even after signing Rivers.

13 - Rams - Mike Evans WR - Yea, everyone says safety, but I can't see Snead passing on perhaps the last top tier guy to reach. He'll get his safety at #37 or #44 (Jimmie Ward?)

14. Chicago Bears - A. Donald DT - Bears signed two safeties a DE, and a LB so far.

15. Pittsburgh - M. Lee WR- The Steelers signed a safety, and kept Polmalu, leaving WR, DE and CB as top needs. Too early for a 3-4 DE, so it's gotta be Dennard or WR B. Cooks or M.Lee, or T Zach Martin. They used to have apretty good USC WR named Swann..so

16. Dallas - K. Ealy DE Dallas needs a pass rusher, a real 4-3 end to replace Ware, and a couple defensive backs.

17. Baltimore - C. Pryor S They resigned Monroe, but still need a FS so they can move Elam to SS

18. NY Jets - Z. Martin OT Everyone assumed a WR here, but the Jets are very weak at OT

19. Miami - T. Jernigan DT -.They got their LT, so they go the other side of the ball

20. Arizona - D. Ford OLB - Need a Dansby replacement.

21. Green Bay- H. Clinton Dix safety

22. Philly - D. Dennard CB - BPA and fills need

23. KC - B. Cooks WR - replaces McLuster with big upside WR/returner

24. Cincy - L. Nix DT - Great value over remaining DBs.

25. S.D. - J. Verrett CB - Biggest need and BPA

26. Cleveland - D. Carr QB

27. N.O. - R. Roby CB- Looks like it will be OLB or CB here. They go with Roby over Shazier

28. Carolina - O. Beckham WR

29. New England - R. Hageman DL

30. SF - K. Benjamin WR

31. Denver - Ryan Shazier OLB -They filled the S and CB needs, and also DE. They pass on next WR bunch for best OLB.

32. Seattle - Seferian Jenkins TE Looks like WR, TE , or OL here

Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Back to the Draft - Post Frenzy Mock

First of all I love Mack as a player (he's probably my second favorite player in this whole draft behind Clowney), but I just don't see the Rams taking a player who won't likely be on the field on 3rd downs. Matthews or Lewan would be a much better fit in my IMO, maybe even Gilbert. Golden Tate going to the Lions is huge in my eyes, that's one less team that will take Mike Evans; I'd be ecstatic if Evans went to the Rams at #13.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I have no objection to M Evans at #13, but for me Mack at #6 is a waste. I'd rather take Matthews, even if you have him play Guard for a year.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

And my dream is still Lewan & Evans in round one... with at least one trade down for bonus picks. Hoping to pick up another OLB later in the draft after we get a safety and maybe a QB or Guard. As you said Barry it is all about our opinions. Excited to see what this draft does for us and how Jeff, Les and Dems manipulate the draft this time around. Going to be blast to watch that is for sure!

khalil Mack will CERTAINLY be a three down player. he proved at the combine that he "covers like a safety" according to Mike Mayock. Mainly , he'd be out there to go after the QB on third down, because Gregg Willims will blitz, and blitz and blitz. This will NOT be the same defense this year, scheme wise.

If anyone came off the field, it would ne Laur inaitis, but t he reality is, the Rams would be ebtter off with their LBs on te field on t hird down than their third or fourth DB in a dime D.

With teams using big receiver s and tight ends, you better have good safeties now and good OLB and MLB that can cover and tackle receiver s before big YAC.

With the Rams pass rush, teams will have to t hrow short stuff or risk their QBs neck. A guy like Mack would make that really hard on receivers and backs.

Mack is going to be a real stud in ALL facets, not just as a pass rusher, like Clay Mathews is.
    sosa39rams and Vinnie25 like this.
    Barry Waller

Don't see how a team with NO "will" LB at all to start would be "wasting" a pick on a guy who Mike MAyock calls the best player in the draft.

The Rams will have guards, and they have one in Saffold already. Dahl should be back.

Look at the Niners and SF defenses, how great their LB are. Look at the Broncos with and WITHOUT Von Milller playing.

Matthews is a good player , a safe pick, a top 10 pick, but he isn't a top five talent in this draft.

Khalil Mack IS.

I just think when Jeff FISHER looks at Mack vs a tackle, other than maybe Robinson, he'll go for the defensive stud and get O-line in rd 2 or 3.

JoLonn Dunbar ranked as one of the worst "will" Lb in the NFL for two years, and he isn't even here.

I guess "will" LB is like safety, you can play any late rounder there.

THere are very few great OLB t hat are in any draft, almost none at the top, but there are nearly ALWAYS OT in the top 10 year after year.

You can get a tackle in round two t hat isn't t hat far from Matthews in ability and upside.

You can't get anything close to a Khalil Mack in round two, even mid round one.

He is a 250 pounder that runs and jumps like a deer, with huge hands and strong arms, and loose hips to cover.

He is a bigger Alec Ogletree that has elite pass rush skills.

In the NFL, you had better be gr5eat at some position. Just good all over doesn't win titles.

Seattle's offense is pedestrian, but their defense is the best, same for SF.

The Rams strength is their pass rush, and adding another superstar to that effort will make the DBs better, and will change team's game plans when they lay the Rams.

I don't really see an OT having the kind of immediate impact that a guy like Mack would.

Once he showed that he can play anywhere at LB in any scheme, especially the 4-3, he got on everyones radar as the #1 athlete and probably the best player taking everything into account, in the draft.

I am a Matthews fan, and he was my pick for the Rams LAST year, if he came out, and early this year, but Khalil Mack is a really special difference making type OLB that comes along maybe every five years.

On my draft list, he has passed Matthews, as has Robinson, and Watkins.

The need at OLB is greater than OT right now, and Mack is the better player, the bigger impact on how Fisher is going to try to win, run the ball, protect the QB by using quick passes.

That doesn't require great OT play, like a vertical gme does.

The Rams feel they have their LT, so that lessens t he desire to go really early in a deep draft at T.

Fisher just hasn't taken OT early either.

We'll find out for sure, but in the scenario I used, this is who I think they should go for, and who they will go for. Otherwise, that "will LB spot, so necessary against the running games and short passing games the Rams face, will be filled by Dunbar, or some mid round pick in a weak draft at the position.

They would get no one who could go after the QB and cover like Mack.
    Barry Waller

Rambos is offline Registered User

Robinson and then a safety or DB. Lets not forget Saffold is often injured so we need some solid depth. Jake Long is coming off an injury so he's still a question mark. I still think we need to draft up to three offensive linemen in this draft.

Saffold can also opt out of his contract in three years.
    Nick and MauiRam like this.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I wouldn't mind the addition of Mack. There are several reasons.

1) Our division is run first pass later. We all know that. All 4 teams in our division love playing smashmouth ball. Everytime we have a division game it turns into a nasty and physical slugfest. Mack is a mean SOB and tough ass dude. Imagine slotting him in along our front 7? We'd be so dominant up front. He would help tremendously with our pass rush and run stop.

2) He is a dominant player. The guy is so good. He is a true 3 down player. He can cover, rush, do it all. Not only that, he's amazing at all the phases of the game.

3) Dominant tackler who you can rely on. He is also a huge playmaker.

I would NOT be against adding arguably the best defender in the draft. Mack would make our defense that much better.

THE DREAM TEAM

I'm not against adressing the OLB position and also bolstering the front 7. But the Rams have currently spent four first rounders and a second rounder on the front 7 (Chris Long, James Laurinaitis, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Alec Ogletree)

The highest drafted and most experienced player in the secondary is Janoris Jenkins who was a second rounder and has only played two seasons in the NFL. Trumaine Johnson and TJ McDonald are third rounders, Brandon McGee a fifth rounder and Rodney McLeod undrafted

On the offensive line we have one Rams draft pick that is still close to starting, Rodger Saffold, a second rounder. Jake Long was a first rounder who the team picked up in FA, Scott Wells was a FA but is ageing and was drafted in the seventh round. Joe Barksdale was a third rounder but was cast out by the Raiders.

The secondary and offensive line were the weakest areas on the team last season, and both need bolstering. They need an influx of talent. For that reason I would pass on Kalil Mack to take an OT at #6 (if thats how the draft pans out), and would be considering Mike Evans or one of the two top safeties with the #13 pick.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be upset if the Rams did draft Mack, I just think the team would be better off using the pick at a more valuable position than 3rd linebacker.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The addition of NT Soliai and DE Jackson in Atlanta seem to support the rumors that they're making the switch to the 3-4 scheme. If that's accurate, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they traded up for Mack instead of Clowney.

Anyways, I don't really see the Rams going OLB in the first round. I've been saying it since January, and nothing I've heard has convinced me it makes much sense given the current personnel.

I don't get the impression they want to take Laurinaitis or Ogletree off the field, nor do I think they're going to spend the majority of passing downs with three linebackers on the field. Is there another 4-3 team in the league that does this?

While I could certainly be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time or the last, I don't see it as very likely.

And for what it's worth, the Rams are bringing back Dunbar on a two-year deal.
    Rambos likes this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'm not opposed to Mack, and based on value I'd rather have him than Jake Matthews or Lewan. Just like Barry said, I'd rather have Mack playing on third down than my 3rd of 4th CB, especially with his ability to get after the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    I'm not opposed to Mack, and based on value I'd rather have him than Jake Matthews or Lewan. Just like Barry said, I'd rather have Mack playing on third down than my 3rd of 4th CB, especially with his ability to get after the QB.
    Why not draft a better CB instead of a 3rd LB and push Jenkins or Johnson into that 3rd CB role?

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Are you still on Mack with Dunbar signed? Like him and think GW will blitz the hell out of teams this year. I like Evans too, but I'm reading he can't get separation, Brian Quick revisited.

Go Rams!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

With Dunbar and Saffold back I'm thinking Watkins with our #2 pick in the draft.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    With Dunbar and Saffold back I'm thinking Watkins with our #2 pick in the draft.
    I am thinking Watkins and a move up from 13 to get Lewan or Gilbert/Dennard. Mack seems like a great player, and I wouldn't be too sad to get him but I think these would be more effective choices.