Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Bald_81's Post-Combine/Pre-FA Rams Mock

**TRADE** St. Louis trades 2012 1st (#2) and 2013 6th (TBD) to Washington for 2012 1st (#6), 2nd (#39), 2013 1st (TBD) and 4th (TBD).

(1-6) Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    Want to hear the most misleading statistic of 2011? The Rams were seventh in the league against the pass. That is almost unfathomable considering the amount of injuries we had to our secondary. My main problem is that although the Rams don't lack depth at CB, they lack quality depth. Even if we were to sign someone like Cortland Finnegan in FA, that could come at the expense of Bartell (released) and if not both he and Fletcher are slated to become free agents in 2013. Safe to say, we still need to infuse more talent at the position. Claiborne displayed good but not elite timed speed at the combine, but neither did Joe Haden. He has outstanding length for his position and has excelled in man coverage including displaying above average ball skills. He also brings the added benefit of being a returner if the Rams chose to use him that way. Showing fluid hips and movement during drills, he has the measurables and with more coaching he should continue to grow.
    Secondary Options: WR, DT, OLB

(2-33) Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (Fla.)
    The Rams have repeatedly come up short in the past with the goal of finding a formidable back up for Steven Jackson. It is becoming much more pertinent to find his compliment especially with Jackson approaching twenty-nine years old. Cadillac Williams was an above average pick up this past season but he is no spring chicken and the Rams are going to need future at the position. If you had asked me whether I thought Miller would be available at the start of day two a month ago, I would have laughed. However, the value of running backs has suffered greatly due to the growing emergence and reliance on the passing game so this might just be a case of Miller falling further than he should. He has great speed coupled with adequate bulk for his size and displays nice vision while running between the tackles. Lamar has a second gear that would make scouts drool but opponents tremble when he lines up against them. Only a two year starter, he has limited mileage on him (335 carries total) and fits very nicely into the change-of-pace mold that could eventually succeed Steven Jackson down the line if he proves he can carry the full load. One aspect I don't like is that he goes down too often on first contact which shouldn't happen with his size and strength and also displays inconsistent balance, but with NFL coaching and extra work he is gifted with the ball in his hands and a threat to take it to the house at any time.
    Secondary Options: WR, DT, OLB

(2-39) Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
    After Fred Robbins was a godsend two years ago, his play fell off a cliff this season and it was evident that the Rams trouble with defending the run started upfront. We have a bunch of ordinary players but no stand outs. Darell Scott has yet to flash anything that shows he can be counted on going forward and although both Justin Bannan and Gary Gibson did a formidable job, there is still a need for influx of talent and depth at the position. There is a wide range of where Worthy can be picked depending on how certain teams view him. He is frustratingly inconsistent with his motor at times and disappears during games, but his talent is undeniable and he is an ideal fit as a 4-3 DT. He possesses a nice array of pass rush moves with plenty of upside and room to grow which makes him even more intriguing. The hard part is figuring out which one will show up for an NFL team, so will the real Jerel Worthy please stand up? At this juncture, IMO he is too talented to pass on and Jeff Fisher was not shy to take risks on certain players during his time in Tennessee.
    Secondary Options: WR, OLB, OL

(3-66) Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
    Am I being too hard on Sanu after he flopped at the Combine? I don't think so. He was very disappointing and although he looked slower on tape to me than others, I didn't think he was going to run THAT bad. The fact is though, Sanu is a converted safety and is still very raw at the position. Despite this, he has been extremely productive and has been used in multiple looks during his tenure at Rutgers. He has above average height and likes to use his physicality to his advantage. The problems, as I listed before, is that he struggles to separate consistently and is very raw with his route running but with coaching that should continue to improve. He could be a very poor mans Kenny Britt and Jeff Fisher knows him well from his time in Tennessee.
    Secondary Options: OLB, OL, DE

(4-TBD) Demario Davis, OLB, Arkansas State
    Besides Laurinaitis, there is far from an entrenched starter at linebacker. After drafting a promising young talent in Jabara Williams, we foolishly let him go in favour of Ben Leber who was a major disappointment and clearly on his last legs before his release. Brady Poppinga did a solid job but he isn't a long term option on the outside so the Rams will look to either free agency or the draft to fill the void. Davis was one of the stars of the Combine for LBs and is moving up draft boards as a result, so this may be too late for him by the time April rolls around. He shows inconsistent discipline and is not great in pass protection, however he is relentless against the run. He throws his body around with reckless abandon and displays great closing speed after finding the ball carrier. He is rough around the edges and his level of competition is a concern, but he has starter upside and will add to the physicality that our defense is sorely lacking.
    Secondary Options: OL, DE, S

(5-TBD) Traded for Brandon Lloyd

(6-TBD) Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee
    Jackson was top recruit coming out of high school but was used sparingly in the crowded defensive line rotation at USC. He then transferred to Tennessee where his playing time increased, but not enough so that he has completely honed his game or developed his skills. This could be attributed to the fact he primarily played out of position at DT and never really got comfortable on defense. He could be an interesting find this late and at worst he bottoms out as a situational pass rusher and special teams contributor, but there is the chance for more.
    Secondary Options: OL, S, WR

(7-TBD) Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois
    I could admittedly be reading too much into the fact that the Rams met with him at the Combine, but it doesn't dispel the fact that the Rams need to find a developmental prospect to back up Sam Bradford. Unlike Sam, he can make plays with his feet and possesses an interesting dynamic that other teams have to account for. Now he isn't Michael Vick, but he can move the chains if he wanted to running the ball. Although he comes from a spread style offense, he has above average arm strength and displayed good decision making throughout his tenure at NIU and improved every season. It was reported that the Rams were prepared to take Greg McElroy last year before the Jets selected him a few picks earlier, and although it is a new regime it still remains an area I believe the Rams will consider once we get into the late rounds.
    Secondary Options: OL, DE, S

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Bald_81's Post-Combine/Pre-FA Rams Mock

Interesting.

First round question: who does Tampa Bay pick up? They look to be a perfect destination for Claiborne. I hope he's available, however. I'm assuming that the Browns take Blackmon to try to help Colt.

Second round question: I find it quite interesting that you maybe jump on a backup RB high, when as you say, the downward pressure on RB's is immense because of the league as a whole not using them as much. Now, I fully admit that we have an aging Jax on our hands and that Fisher has certainly used a two man backfield before, however, when we need multiple targets for Bradford and what looks like a few good targets available at #33, I would think that we'd go after Randle, Hill, or even Jeffery in that spot to get an outside target for our franchise QB. In fact, Sneed has said that they need to get some targets for him. Are you assuming a big time splash FA?

Third round question: More of a statement, even with a bad combine, Sanu won't drop from the second. He was a borderline first rounder before the combine. I'd much rather go best RB available here, which yes, is again delaying the finding of a replacement for Jackson, but until he really breaks down, I'm fine with pure backup guys.

Fourth round statement: I've spent a lot of time campaigning for more OLB love(since they are ALL free agents), so I'd rate them as a higher need than RB. That said, at this point, finding a starter is less likely, but if we can get a promising SAM, I'd be ok with that. With the NFL seemingly needing nickel defenses more than base packages now, I'm ok with putting a rookie at SAM. We need to address WILL in FA.

Good job. If this occurs, I hope that we are able to find a good FA WR and a starter at Will along with depth. I'm looking to see what happens at DT as well.
    I believe!

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    First round question: who does Tampa Bay pick up? They look to be a perfect destination for Claiborne. I hope he's available, however. I'm assuming that the Browns take Blackmon to try to help Colt.
    I see two scenarios in my head right now leading up to this result:

1. IND - Luck
    2. WAS (from STL) - RG3
    3. MIN - Kalil
    4. CLE - Blackmon/Tannehill
    5. TAM - Richardson
    6. STL - Claiborne

OR

1. IND - Luck
    2. WAS (from STL) - RG3
    3. MIN - Kalil
    4. JAC (from CLE) - Blackmon
    5. TAM - Richardson
    6. STL - Claiborne

It hinges on what Tampa Bay does. I've read that Schiano wants to establish a power running game so they could lean towards Richardson even though they already have Blount. A news clipping from Rotoworld today stated "The Bucs are looking for a running back with "breakaway speed and the ability to touch the ball on every down," according to the Tampa Tribune. It's yet another reason to suspect the Bucs will target Alabama's Trent Richardson in the draft as opposed to chasing Michael Bush or Mike Tolbert. Beat writer Roy Cummings believes it makes "loads of sense" for the Bucs to draft Richardson and address cornerback in free agency." Obviously the smart money is on them taking Claiborne, but they have a lot of options right now and it wouldn't shock me if they went another direction.

Second round question: I find it quite interesting that you maybe jump on a backup RB high, when as you say, the downward pressure on RB's is immense because of the league as a whole not using them as much. Now, I fully admit that we have an aging Jax on our hands and that Fisher has certainly used a two man backfield before, however, when we need multiple targets for Bradford and what looks like a few good targets available at #33, I would think that we'd go after Randle, Hill, or even Jeffery in that spot to get an outside target for our franchise QB. In fact, Sneed has said that they need to get some targets for him. Are you assuming a big time splash FA?
    To me, Miller represents the best value on the board in that scenario. That is just my personal preference and I'm sure others like yourself would feel that different players at separate positions should be taken ahead of him. It's also worth noting that under Fisher, Tennessee spent a second round pick or higher in three consecutive years (2006-08: LenDale White, Chris Henry, Chris Johnson) trying to address the RB position and establish a solid committee. We may have a bonafide starter in SJ, but Fisher has also made it clear that in order for Bradford to bounce back we need to (1) keep him upright, and (2) establish the running game. I'd personally be surprised if we didn't spend one of our first three selections on a RB.

Third round question: More of a statement, even with a bad combine, Sanu won't drop from the second. He was a borderline first rounder before the combine. I'd much rather go best RB available here, which yes, is again delaying the finding of a replacement for Jackson, but until he really breaks down, I'm fine with pure backup guys.
    Right now I see Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Hill, Randle, and Jeffery all going ahead of Sanu. It isn't inconceivable that he falls to the 3rd. He wasn't just disappointing at the combine in terms of his 40 time so I think he needs to do a lot of rehabilitation to his stock in order to ensure he is a second round pick.

Fourth round statement: I've spent a lot of time campaigning for more OLB love(since they are ALL free agents), so I'd rate them as a higher need than RB. That said, at this point, finding a starter is less likely, but if we can get a promising SAM, I'd be ok with that. With the NFL seemingly needing nickel defenses more than base packages now, I'm ok with putting a rookie at SAM. We need to address WILL in FA.
    I agree, but it doesn't always come down to taking specific needs over other positions when it comes to the draft. The best example I can think of is when we selected Lance Kendricks in the second round last year. TE was not exactly on everyone's list of major needs for the team but the previous regime (and the jury is still out) felt he was the best player on the board and would be a great weapon for Sam. If we draft based on need over BPA, then I think we'll be in a world of trouble. I have faith in Fisher/Snead though that they will do the right thing and get the job done.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I like this off season. But I can't see us just picking up Sanu seeing him as a future solid WR. I'd love this off season with an addition of Colston or Vincent Jackson.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice projection! A couple of comments on your picks...

-Claiborne is who I'd want if Blackmon and Kalil are both off the board, which based on your response they are.

-I'm intrigued by Miller. He's young enough that some of his concerns could be corrected as he sits behind Jackson. My only hang-up is the value there of other positions and the Rams' ability to find a capable developmental RB a round later.

-Worthy is a nice pick in the second round if he's there.

-Not a fan of Sanu. The Rams already have a roster full of WRs that can't separate.

-Davis is a good pick at the top of the fourth, but as you said, he may have outplayed that spot by the time April rolls around. We'll have to see.

-The two late round picks are fine, though I wonder if equally graded prospects at other positions where a hit would have more of a factor would be better for this team.

When Steven Jackson entered the NFL he was only 21. Lamar Miller is the same age, and to have young back with such limited tread on his tires is a major plus. If he were to pan out, he could be SJ's successor and spend the next nine years with us.