Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Bald_81's Post-Senior Bowl Rams Draft

(1-14) Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    We'll obviously know more after the combine comes and goes, but as of now this looks like a virtual lock -- barring an 'elite' prospect dropping into our laps. There is also the threat that a team could trade up ahead of us (Detroit looks like a logical target), but since I won't be projecting trades the Rams get an immense blend of both need and value at #14. I wasn't high on Jones prior to the season because he had always been plagued by drops and inconsistency, however, he was able to put it altogether this season while playing through injury. He is physically ready to play from day one and should not be a liability in run blocking like most rookies would.
    Secondary Options: DE, DT, OLB

(2-47) Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    The Rams have repeatedly come up short in the past with the goal of finding a formidible back up for Steven Jackson. It is becoming much more pertinent to find his compliment especially with Jackson approaching twenty-eight years old. Had Williams not gone through an injury-plagued season, we would not even be in a position to draft him this late. A projected first round pick coming into 2010, he has excellent vision and suddeness with his cuts, has great balance and is an underrated receiver out of the backfield (his low reception total is misleading). Turning only twenty-one in February, he can be groomed as our future lead back and showed the ability to carry the load in his freshman season. In the case he is gone by our pick, an alternative would be Shane Vereen from Cal who could possibly be had in the third round. Either way, I see RB getting addressed in the second or third.
    Secondary Options: DE, DT, OLB

(3-79) Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
    Fred Robbins was a god send last season and might've been one of the most underappreciated players on the team especially after losing Clifton Ryan. The Rams have a bunch of ordinary players but no stand outs. Darell Scott has yet to flash anything that shows he can be counted on going forward and although both Jermelle Cudjo and Gary Gibson did a formidable job, there is still a need for influx of talent and depth at the position. Casey might not get this far but if he does I believe the Rams have a talent on their hands. One of the lone brightspots on the USC defense last year, Casey shows the ability to uphold the point of attack and shed blocks when getting into the backfield. He struggles with awareness and dissecting plays at times but that can easily be coached from a great defensive mind like Spagnuolo.
    Secondary Options: DE, OLB, CB

(4-TBD) K.J. Wright, OLB, Mississippi State
    After Na'il Diggs (a stop gap, at best) went down with injury, our LB corps really suffered. Vobora and Chamberlain did their best to hold down SLB and it was a constant turnstile all season between Grant and Kehl at WLB. Besides Laurinaitis, there is far from an entrenched starter at linebacker. Although not a household name or commonly mocked choice like Mason Foster and Bruce Carter, I believe Wright is an ideal OLB for Spag's defense. He is always in the right spot, is extremely disciplined, and can work sideline-to-sideline as well as defend the pass (although he must get better in this area). Every quality about him just lends to the belief that he is a great fit for our defense.
    Secondary Options: DE, CB, OG

(5-TBD) Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado
    Despite spending a fourth round selection or higher on CB the past six years, the Rams still have the position unresolved and it doesn't help when two of those players are no longer with the team. I've said this before but the Rams may not lack depth at CB, however they lack QUALITY depth. Brown had a good season this past year and showed the ability to get physical with receivers and make tackles in the open field. His teammate Jimmy Smith will go much higher but he still possesses the ability to contribute for any team.
    Secondary Options: DE, OG, S

(7-TBD) Kentrell Lockett, DE, Mississippi
    James Hall dipped into the fountain of youth last season and notched an astonishing 11.0 sacks and turned out to be a great compliment to Chris Long. Behind him, there are lots of developmental projects who have interesting upside like Selvie and Sims and Lockett could fit right into that group. He may slide this far only because of a major injury that caused him to only play in two games his final season. At worst he bottoms out as a situational pass rusher and special teams contributor but there is the chance for more.
    Secondary Options: OG, S, DT

(7-TBD) Brad Thorson, OG, Kansas
    I've seen many fans clamoring and hollering how OG needs to be a position addressed very early on in the draft and maybe as high as the second round. I don't believe that is going to come to fruition on draft day and although we do need more depth and younger talent at the position, I do not think it should be addressed that high. We have an incredible amount of money invested into our offensive line -- Jason Smith was the second overall pick two years ago, we made Jason Brown the highest paid center (at the time) and very soon we are going to have to re-sign Saffold to a big contract because he plays the premium position on the entire line. Drafting a guard that high suggests he will hopefully develop into an elite one and he must be compensated as well. Are you suggesting we sink over $180 million into our offensive line? That's absurd and there are multiple offensive lines around the league who have performed highly without a budget like that. Thorson might just be camp fodder, but he could also be a player who sticks and provides solid depth at OG.
    Secondary Options: S, DT, OLB

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Re: Bald_81's Post-Senior Bowl Rams Draft

Jones is fine

I dont like the Ryan Williams pick because Josh McDaniels likes spreading the field. Jackson will not get as many carries and Williams is just not good enough in the passing game for him to be a weapon on our offense.

As long as Casey learns how to penetrate more consistently he will be fine

As a spags OLB i would have loved someone with better instincts but i guess spags can teach the kid better play recognition skills.

I like Kentrell Lockett he is a good late round pick

I dont know much at all about brown or thorson so i wont comment on those.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I dont like the Ryan Williams pick because Josh McDaniels likes spreading the field. Jackson will not get as many carries and Williams is just not good enough in the passing game for him to be a weapon on our offense.
    McDaniels used both Moreno (who he used a first round pick on) and Buckhalter actively while in Denver which tells me he likes RBs who compliment each other. It's also important that we find quality insurance and a future back for S-Jax so it's killing two birds with one stone and I truly believe we'll address that in the second or third round after failing to do so previously. We wanted Shonn Greene in '09, and although this is unconfirmed the Lions traded back into the first round in front of teams like Indy and Minnesota (both who didn't have a need at RB) so it was kind of obvious they had suspected we might've taken Jahvid Best. We're lucky in the fact though that seven running backs were taken in the first two rounds so we could have a quality one fall to us (like Ryan Williams) and make off like thieves.

richtree is online now Registered User

Well, McDaniels is a top-notch co-coordinator but lets just say I am glad he isn't drafting our players...lol.

I actually defensive players on our team, and that's something McDaniels forgot about in Denver.

Spags will hold the fort and Josh will create the McBradford Happy Meal.

The Moreno pick was a mistake Mcdaniels is not good at drafting at all he thought he needed a starter so he should just go out and get one without fitting his system. Moreno is not a good receiver out of the back field and not to good at letting his blocks set up for him. Buckhalter could catch the ball and is good out of the backfield which is why he saw so much playing time.

S-Jax is patient and a good receiver out the backfield. And the #2 RB that we get will be a buckhalter type he needs to be able to catch the ball

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    The Moreno pick was a mistake Mcdaniels is not good at drafting at all he thought he needed a starter so he should just go out and get one without fitting his system. Moreno is not a good receiver out of the back field and not to good at letting his blocks set up for him. Buckhalter could catch the ball and is good out of the backfield which is why he saw so much playing time.

S-Jax is patient and a good receiver out the backfield. And the #2 RB that we get will be a buckhalter type he needs to be able to catch the ball
    There is no disputing that McDaniels should've never been in charge of drafting but you couldn't be more wrong about Moreno. One of the things he was praised for coming out of Georgia was his pass catching ability so either you haven't watched him play or are just making arguments to substantiate your points. I know there's a no link policy here, so i'll just post quotes from various draft websites:

"Elite receiver out of the backfield who rarely drops passes" -WalterFootball
    "Reaches out and plucks passes away from his body. Is solid on wheel routes and screen passes. A polished receiver." -Russ Lande, Sporting News.
    "Soft hands for the reception. Natural receiver who poses intriguing possibilities to be split out wide. Good quickness and effort as a route-runner; isn't just a threat on dump-offs in the flat or screens. .. Denver was smitten with Moreno's versatility. He obviously is a good runner, but the Broncos also like the fact that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and pick up the blitz." -CBSSports

Going back even further to his days with New England in 2006, Laurence Maroney and Corey Dillon were almost split down the middle with equal carries and in their record breaking 2007 he had both Maroney and Sammy Morris carry the load. The fact is that his offense usually commands two backs and the fact that we have a need for one behind Jackson regardless (because if he goes down then our offense becomes truly one dimensional) kills two birds with one stone. I would be very surprised if we don't address RB by the third round.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    There is no disputing that McDaniels should've never been in charge of drafting but you couldn't be more wrong about Moreno. One of the things he was praised for coming out of Georgia was his pass catching ability so either you haven't watched him play or are just making arguments to substantiate your points. I know there's a no link policy here, so i'll just post quotes from various draft websites:

"Elite receiver out of the backfield who rarely drops passes" -WalterFootball
    "Reaches out and plucks passes away from his body. Is solid on wheel routes and screen passes. A polished receiver." -Russ Lande, Sporting News.
    "Soft hands for the reception. Natural receiver who poses intriguing possibilities to be split out wide. Good quickness and effort as a route-runner; isn't just a threat on dump-offs in the flat or screens. .. Denver was smitten with Moreno's versatility. He obviously is a good runner, but the Broncos also like the fact that he can catch the ball out of the backfield and pick up the blitz." -CBSSports

Going back even further to his days with New England in 2006, Laurence Maroney and Corey Dillon were almost split down the middle with equal carries and in their record breaking 2007 he had both Maroney and Sammy Morris carry the load. The fact is that his offense usually commands two backs and the fact that we have a need for one behind Jackson regardless (because if he goes down then our offense becomes truly one dimensional) kills two birds with one stone. I would be very surprised if we don't address RB by the third round.
    Yes your right I was thinking of another player cannot remember who i just went back and looked at moreno's scouting reports and he is a good receiver and actually is patient (i really dont see the patience in the pros too much thou).

we wont agree on this because i just think it 2nd rounder is to early to address the role of a "2nd stringer" with the needs at S, LB, DL, and G that we would have after picking jones.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm basically on board with everything and think this would be a good draft, but I did want to respond to one thing you said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I've seen many fans clamoring and hollering how OG needs to be a position addressed very early on in the draft and maybe as high as the second round. I don't believe that is going to come to fruition on draft day and although we do need more depth and younger talent at the position, I do not think it should be addressed that high. We have an incredible amount of money invested into our offensive line -- Jason Smith was the second overall pick two years ago, we made Jason Brown the highest paid center (at the time) and very soon we are going to have to re-sign Saffold to a big contract because he plays the premium position on the entire line. Drafting a guard that high suggests he will hopefully develop into an elite one and he must be compensated as well. Are you suggesting we sink over $180 million into our offensive line? That's absurd and there are multiple offensive lines around the league who have performed highly without a budget like that. Thorson might just be camp fodder, but he could also be a player who sticks and provides solid depth at OG.
    I don't really think this argument makes much sense. It sounds like you're arguing against an upgrade at guard not because this team doesn't need it but simply because it would eventually be too expensive.

The problem is, it's pretty obvious the team needs improvement at the position. Bell is average at best, Goldberg is a back-up masquerading as a starter. The interior running game of the Rams was awful this year, so whether the player comes from the second round or the sixth, the Rams need to find a replacement.

And regardless of where he comes from, if he performs and becomes a solid starter, he's going to have to get paid eventually. Spending a second or third round pick simply betters your chances of finding someone who can do the job, since you're picking a more highly rated player.

The Rams could wait and draft a guard in the seventh round. But if he emerges as a quality starter and locks down a spot on this line, then he's going to have to get paid, too. Maybe the Rams can't afford to throw Steve Hutchinson money out there, but a decent sized starting contract shouldn't be impossible. The only way the Rams avoid putting money into the position is by trying to get by with cheap stop-gap solutions that aren't that good, or by allowing quality players at the position to walk and then just trying to restock somewhere else. Not sure anyone wants to sign up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't really think this argument makes much sense. It sounds like you're arguing against an upgrade at guard not because this team doesn't need it but simply because it would eventually be too expensive.

The problem is, it's pretty obvious the team needs improvement at the position. Bell is average at best, Goldberg is a back-up masquerading as a starter. The interior running game of the Rams was awful this year, so whether the player comes from the second round or the sixth, the Rams need to find a replacement.

And regardless of where he comes from, if he performs and becomes a solid starter, he's going to have to get paid eventually. Spending a second or third round pick simply betters your chances of finding someone who can do the job, since you're picking a more highly rated player.

The Rams could wait and draft a guard in the seventh round. But if he emerges as a quality starter and locks down a spot on this line, then he's going to have to get paid, too. Maybe the Rams can't afford to throw Steve Hutchinson money out there, but a decent sized starting contract shouldn't be impossible. The only way the Rams avoid putting money into the position is by trying to get by with cheap stop-gap solutions that aren't that good, or by allowing quality players at the position to walk and then just trying to restock somewhere else. Not sure anyone wants to sign up for that.
    Good points. I was basically aiming those arguments at the group that think we should throw money at Logan Mankins and Carl Nicks just because we need another mauler in the running game which would place a ludicrous amount of money sunk into the offensive line. Matt Ryan has been sacked 17, 19, and 23 times in his three NFL seasons. Obviously a lot of that has to do with him being quick with his reads getting the ball out in a timely fashion, but he has also done it with an unheralded offensive line. As a collective unit they aren't paid very much and not to mention they have our cast off Paul Boudreau (who everyone was ecstatic to see go) as their offensive line coach who helped them become the second ranked team in rushing a couple of seasons ago.

Also, taking a guard high does not necessarily mean we can instantly plug him in from day one (another issue I have with some fans thinking it's that simple). The Jets this past year cut an aging and declining Faneca who was getting overpaid and inserted a 6th round pick from 2009 (Matt Slauson) and their offense didn't miss a beat. Not to mention they drafted Vladimir Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010 and he did not even contribute so everyone with the theory that we can just take a OG that high and plug him in is easier said than done because he couldn't even beat out Slauson. We've seen the exact same scenario play out with John Greco who was a third rounder three years ago and has yet to do anything in the NFL.

Basically, I feel that a back up for Jackson (something we've tried to do for 3+ years) is of higher priority. If Jackson were to go down with injury, our offense becomes truly one-dimensional so I believe a RB like Williams who can eventually develop into an every down back can effectively spell Jackson and help our offense. Some people complicate drafting need vs. talent and this appears to be a case where some believe OG is the more pressing issue but I believe it to be the latter. Okay, we may need the OG right away but we can't continually put off drafting an heir apparant for S-Jax especially with his age getting up there and the threat of injury. I'm sure Minnesota isn't regretting taking Adrian Peterson in '07 despite already having an effective starter in Chester Taylor.