Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Bald_81's Pre-Combine Mock Offseason

This is pure bordem on my part, just looking for some feedback and opinions. This will probably be the only one I'll do before waiting until after the combine and a good portion of FA before I do a mock draft of my own.

FREE AGENCY

Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions
    James Butler, S, Giants
    Colin Cole, DT, Packers
    Jabari Greer, CB, Bills
    Jonathan Vilma, LB, Saints
    Ron Bartell, CB, Rams
    O.J. Atogwe, S, Rams (Franchised)
    Victor Adeyanju, DE, Rams

RELEASED/RETIREMENT

QB Trent Green
    DT La'Roi Glover (Retired)
    CB Fakhir Brown
    SS Corey Chavous
    RB Samkon Gado
    RB Travis Minor
    TE Joe Klopfenstein

DRAFT '09

1st (#2) - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia.
    2nd (#35) - LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh.
    3rd (#66) - Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas.
    4th (#99) - David Bruton, S, Notre Dame.
    5th (#130) - Travis Beckum, TE, Wisconsin.
    6th (#163) - Jamaal Westerman, DE, Rutgers.
    7th (#194) - DeAndre Wright, CB, New Mexico.
    7th (comp) - Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky.
    7th (comp) - Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Bald_81's Pre-Combine Mock Offseason

Looks pretty solid. I think the free agency signings are fairly realistic, not too "pie in the sky," though I doubt Vilma is a possibility as I think he returns to New Orleans. As for the draft, you're a brave man for going offense with four of the first five picks. I hope McCoy in the second is more about value than it is a feeling that we need to be spending a first day pick on a RB. Also, do you view the Bruton pick as a depth move, or insurance against not being able to sign Atogwe long-term?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks pretty solid. I think the free agency signings are fairly realistic, not too "pie in the sky," though I doubt Vilma is a possibility as I think he returns to New Orleans. As for the draft, you're a brave man for going offense with four of the first five picks. I hope McCoy in the second is more about value than it is a feeling that we need to be spending a first day pick on a RB. Also, do you view the Bruton pick as a depth move, or insurance against not being able to sign Atogwe long-term?
    I would hope we have a chance at Vilma, or maybe the lesser Channing Crowder. I would rather get a proven MLB through free agency than have one taken in the 2nd-3rd round of the draft and have him thrust into our starting line up as a rookie. With McCoy, I see him as a strong #2 who is more shifty, has great cutting ability and is fast which counteracts Jacksons tough and bruising style (A Thunder/Lightning combo, if you may). Jackson is the franchise RB, but with McCoy in the fold for three years at minimal salary, once Jackson turns 29 and McCoy is up for FA if he has performed well as a back up or filling in for Jackson then we could sign him long term without losing a step. (Whether it was true or not, there was word we would've taken Felix Jones at Donnie's spot in last year's draft, so maybe a #2 RB for Jackson is of high priority). The Bruton pick is exactly what you said. It is insurance just in case Atogwe gets an absurd offer next year so that way we have Bruton waiting in the wings who I feel will eventually develop into a great safety.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -02-05-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

solid solid mock draft, Vilma might be more of a fantasy though, although I would love to have him. Addresses all the needs while still getting most of the the BPA's. The only argument I have is that there are no O-line at all during free agency. Also, I am a believer that Holt and Pace can stay and restructure their deals. All in all, very solid and I would be a happy man if it happened this way.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Good Mock. I like the FA, but ill take channing crowder instead of vilma.

Can we really just cut those guys?
    How much could that free up and how much would we have to pay to cut those guys?

Good draft , adresses the O-Line well. Lesean mccoy would be a great fit behind SJ, I wouldn't mind seeing Shonn Greene. 307 carries, 6.0 avg, 1850 rushing yards Donald Brown is also a haus 367 carries, 5.7 avg., 2083 rushing yards.

Maybe we could grab a Lb in the 5th instead of Bekum ,but its not a bad idea the kid could be a weapon. He just likes to get hurt.

I liked watching Myron Pryor tear up some blockers at UK.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

I've seen this Vilma wanting in other threads and I don't get it.
    If the problem with our MLB is lack of size how does he fix that?
    NFL.com has him listed at 6'-1" 230lbs. Hes not any bigger than WW, if anything he's smaller.
    So I ask, what is it about JV that makes him the guy to fill the MLB spot?
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

djdeeznutz Guest

Honestly im sold on Micheal Crabtree but with the mock you just did i got to give u props.

I like it! I normally dont agree with someone taking a Tackle with a 2nd pick but u just did a great job about the free agency and the leaving players.

Except to flaws:

I dont think we will get vilma. Crowder is a better possibility.

I say no the Lesean McCoy. Cuz 2 yrs ago we took Brian Leonard in the 2nd so we are not taking McCoy. i would say take a OG or OC but u filled already so i say take Ron Brace in the 2nd.

The only way I see us taking Crabtree is if we get one of Gross, Carey, Barnes or Tauscher in FA. If we get one of them, it certainly makes the decision on passing on a possible franchise tackle easier. Also, judging by the people Devaney has worked with in the past (Beathard, McKay), he could have the philosophy of getting OT's later in the draft rather than spend a premium pick on one. The true talent of a GM is finding a starting LT later in the draft and Devaney just may want to prove he can do so in a deep, deep class.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

I don't think Gross or Carey hit the market and Tauscher is coming off a major knee injury I think...

npow81 is offline Registered User

I hardly ever respond to anything, but in all honesty I don't ever think that I've ever agreed more with someone has said on here. First and foremost Orlovsky, nobody would ever respect what he did this year because the Lions went 0-fer this year I'm not saying that he is the answer, but he shows some good promise, has good mechanics, a decent arm and wpuld be better than drafting a kid out of college in a mid round to be a qb of the future/present if Bulger continues his decline. Although I would much rather have Tyler thigpen if he is not wanted in KC (kid will be a stud mark my words), Orlovsky would be a nice consolation prize. Secondly, i love the McCoy pick, mainly because he could do two things for us, (1) be an explosive scat back (something that neither Pittman or Darby are in the explosive sense) and take some of the rushing load of SJax so hopefully he may not get injured as much, and (2) in the event that SJax does get injured he has the ability to be a feature back and we wouldn't have to deal with such a dip in production w/o SJax in the lineup. The top half of the NFL is full of two rb systems and we should really take notice that we need a leon washington, john stewart, chris johnson, derrick ward etc., etc., to complement SJ, McCoy is in my mind the second best rb in the draft behind Moreno...we have other needs and a 2nd rb is a luxury when I first thought of this myself I thought it was a bit foolish, but if we go OT in the first, I think we can afford to go this direction in the 2nd. Anyhow well done
    Last edited by npow81; -02-06-2009 at 04:30 AM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Looks good and realistic as what Nick said.

However, I'd rather have Shonn Greene than the 'back from Pittsburgh.
    RamsFan16