Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Bald_81's Pre-Senior Bowl Rams Mock

I won't have any trades included as of now but that could change in the future once the draft process starts to pick up steam and free agency occurs. With this draft, I'm projecting that we address positions like WR and DT through free agency.

(1-2) Matt Kalil, OT, USC
    Who would've thought that we'd be picking this high back in September? We nearly sucked enough for Luck, but fortunately we fell flat for Matt. It was almost assumed that we had both tackle spots solved for multiple years but that certainly is not the case as of now. Saffold regressed mightily after a nice rookie campaign, and Jason Smith had yet another concussion that could cloud (no pun intended) his NFL future, which more than likely will be at guard. I know it's not the exciting route to take and everyone is begging for a playmaker, but the Rams must be smart and protect their huge investment in Sam Bradford. Watching Kalil, he has everything you want from an elite blindside protector. He is extremely athletic, has great, fluid feet and long arms with a great first punch. His athleticism allows him to get out quickly on screens and he's excellent at the second level. However, sometimes he gets over extended and gets beaten inside by quicker ends. The only issue I have with him is that he needs to put on more weight at the next level. His legs aren't thick at all and his run blocking could use some refinement, but that will come with adding bulk and muscle. If we stay at this spot, Kalil is the logical pick and hopefully resolves our offensive line woes for the better part of a decade.
    Secondary Options: CB, WR, OLB

(2-33) Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
    Want to hear the most misleading statistic of 2011? The Rams were seventh in the league against the pass. That is almost unfathomable considering the amount of injuries we had to our secondary. Last year when I released some of my own pre-draft Rams mocks, I had them taking Ras-I Dowling (who was ultimately taken ahead of them) but my main problem was that although the Rams don't lack depth at CB, they lack quality depth. Luckily, Virginia has produced another highly touted defensive back prospect in Minnifield, who in this case would be selected at the same spot as Dowling. Similar to Kalil, Minnifield has great NFL pedigree with a father that was a four-time Pro Bowler during the 80s. He is a physical corner who is a willing tackler, and also has great size coupled with legit speed so the Rams could be very fortunate that he falls this far on draft day. Some negatives are that he has limited expierence in man coverage and that he is not consistent with his techniques, but he has the measurables and with more coaching he should continue to grow.
    Secondary Options: WR, OLB, RB

(3-66) Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State
    The Rams have repeatedly come up short in the past with the goal of finding a formidable back up for Steven Jackson. It is becoming much more pertinent to find his compliment especially with Jackson approaching twenty-nine years old. Cadillac Williams was an above average pick up this past season but he is no spring chicken and the Rams are going to need future at the position. Only a two year starter, Hillman has limited mileage on him and possesses elite speed, suddeness with his cuts, great balance and is a very capable receiver out of the backfield (he was a slot receiver in high school). He fits very nicely into the change-of-pace mold that could eventually succeed Steven Jackson down the line if he proves he can carry the full load. He very well could remind incoming coach Jeff Fisher of Chris Johnson who he had during his tenure in Tennessee. He does dance a bit behind the line instead of hitting the hole and his vision could be improved, but he is still relatively new to the position and is gifted with the ball in his hands.
    Secondary Options: WR, OLB, DT

(4-TBD) Nigel Bradham, OLB, Florida State
    Besides Laurinaitis, there is far from an entrenched starter at linebacker. After drafting a promising young talent in Jabara Williams, we foolishly let him go in favour of Ben Leber who was a major disappointment and clearly on his last legs before his release. Brady Poppinga did a solid job but he isn't a long term option on the outside so the Rams will look to either free agency or the draft to fill the void. Bradham has battled inconsistency with his discipline and awareness but he has steadily improved every year in school. He is overly aggressive at times as well which leaves him out of position and he doesn't have the fluid hips or change of direction skills you'd prefer, but he has starter upside and will add to the physicality that our defense is sorely lacking.
    Secondary Options: WR, DT, OG

(5-TBD) Traded for Brandon Lloyd

(6-TBD) Jermaine Kearse, WR, Washington
    I expect the Rams to make a big splash in free agency with one of the prominent WRs available, so if they decide to pass on Blackmon they could indeed wait until this late before selecting one. This could admittedly be too low for Kearse, whose numbers fell off drastically this year without Jake Locker. He is a big body presence that we still are sorely lacking in the red zone and has underrated vertical speed. More importantly, he has never missed a game due to injury and is a great route runner having spent three years in a pro style offense. He does battle drops more often than one would like and that coupled with his decrease in production could lead to him falling further than he should, but the Rams shouldn't complain when they scoop him up here.
    Secondary Options: DT, OG, CB

(7-TBD) Greg McCoy, CB/KR, TCU
    Although he can contribute to our secondary, McCoy's value comes mainly from strong special teams play whether it be on coverage or via returns. If we don't retain Jerious Norwood, McCoy could find a home as our kickoff returner and he has excelled in that role at TCU. Marc Mariani was a seventh round pick of the Titans two years ago and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie so Jeff Fisher knows the value of having a quality returner.
    Secondary Options: DB, DE, OLB
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-09-2012 at 03:22 AM.

RKDfan is offline Registered User

Re: Bald_81's Pre-Senior Bowl Rams Mock

I think a DT should be drafted. We got no push from that position this year.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Love Ronnie Hillman!

Bald_81 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RKDfan View Post
    I think a DT should be drafted. We got no push from that position this year.
    I very well could change my stance once free agency occurs because it is one of our premier needs. I think the connection between Jason Jones and Jeff Fisher makes the Rams an ideal landing spot for him, so it was reflected in my mock. But like I said, things can and most likely will definitely change.

Quote Originally Posted by hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    Love Ronnie Hillman!
    He's a spark plug. He'd look nice in horns taking it to the house.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I prefer Blackmon but that is a debate for another thread...

Minnifield is my favorite pick...he is very smart and durable...His potential + Jeff Fisher Coaching = a great future i really like this pick...

The only thing with hillman is we must re-sign Caddi...Hillman is not durable and not a feature back if Jax goes down Hillman should not get over 20 carries...but the pick would work having him split with Jax we could have 3 quality RBs on the roster this can work!

Honestly i would prefer a pure wrap up tackler after he torched by emmit smith i mean demaco murry (we made him look like a superstar) however so much draft process left if bradham can add weight it can help to have a guy like him who is comfortable in zone coverage...with all our blitzers we going to need some to drop back in zones

Kearse is my 2nd favorite pick...THe guy is a possession receiver and will hang on while being hit solid 3rd down receiver Good late round finD!!!

Mccoy i like the idea of bringing in a special teamer...something you forgot to mention is his tackling ability he has great form and can also be a force to bring down people like patrick peterson...

As long as we get V-Jax this mock can really work its good

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Solid mock Bald! I like Minnifield and Bradham. They can be some nice steals. Minnifield I am high on as well. This team gets better with these acquisitions.