Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bar-bq's 15/4/10 Two Round Mock Draft

Howdy friends,

This will be my second-to-last mock for the year, I'm looking to have my last one out by draft-day eve.

Please have a look and drop some feedback my way!

ROUND ONE

1. St. Louis Rams- Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
    The Rams don't hesitate upon finding their Franchise signal caller.

2. Detroit Lions- Ndamkong Suh, DT, Nebraska
    This Draft's best player falls into the lap of the Lions, much the same way as Calvin Johnson did two years ago. Look for the Lions to move on up in 2010.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
    The Bucs grab some help up front. Though he's not the best DT in this class, McCoy is not far from it.

4. Washington Redskins- Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma St
    The Redskins protect the investment they made in McNabb by selecting the best OT available.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- Brian Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Kansas City continues to overhaul its OL, bringing in the versatile Bulaga to keep blockers away from Matt Cassel.

6. Seattle Seahawks- CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
    Surprise! The Hawks pull the trigger on Clemson's playmaker early. With the apparent depth at OT this year, it makes a lot of sense to grab Spiller early.

7. Cleveland Browns- Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
    Best safety out in a number of years falls conveniently to a team who really needs him. Clausen will be strongly considered.

8. Oakland Raiders- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
    Logic has to prevail at some point. I'm betting that this is the year the Raiders actually try to start winning games.

9. Buffalo Bills- Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    I don't think the Bills can afford to pass on a Franchise QB. They'll look for a replacement for Jason Peters in round two.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars- Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
    The Jaguars need DE help and whilst Morgan isn't as sexy a pick as Pierre-Paul, I believe he's the more consistent player.

11. Denver Broncos (f/CHI)- Rolando McLain, LB, Alabama
    McLain looks like an ideal fit as a centrepiece for the Broncos defense. I thought hard about Bryant, but there's no chance McDaniels replaces Marshall with his doppelganger.

12. Miami Dolphins- Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    Ferguson is 36 and suspended for the beginning of the season. Look for Williams to make a leap up draft boards as the best NT in this class.

13. San Francisco *****- Joe Haden, CB, Florida
    The Niners could use some help in the secondary and like Berry before him, Haden slips to a team where his talents will be utilized right away.

14. Seattle Seahawks (f/DEN)- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
    I think Davis is the better prospect at LT when compared to Campbell, despite his poor workouts. He'll provide blindside protection for Whitehurst in 2010 and beyond.

15. New York Giants- Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    Tough projection. The G-Men would have loved McLain but they'll be more than happy to target the second best backer in this class.

16. Tennessee Titans- Jason Pierre-Paul, OLB/DE, South Florida
    JPP is a tremendous athlete and good value this late. Again, the Titans have a dire need at DE and Pierre-Paul will fill the void from day dot.

17. San Francisco ***** (f/CAR)- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
    San Fran now adds the versatile Campbell to bolster their OL. Look for him to start opposite Staley eventually.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers- Mike Iupati, OL, Idaho
    Tough as nails interior lineman who screams Pittsburgh Steeler. Iupati can play a number of positions and would be at home at guard or center in Pittsburgh.

19. Atlanta Falcons- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
    Consider the Jamaal Anderson experiment over. The Falcons decide to turn over a new leaf with Graham.

20. Houston Texans- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
    I thought about Matthews here, but I feel like Thomas is the better value pick. The downside to this is that from 2011 onwards, I won't be able to have 'safety to Houston' as a staple of my mock drafts.

21. Cincinnati Bengals- Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma St
    The Bryant express stops at pick #21. Cincinnati are more than happy to add this class' best receiver.

22. New England Patriots- Jared Odrick, DE, Penn St
    My favourite player in this year's draft falls to a team where he'll be a force instantly as a five-technique. The Patriots will get the most out of this hot commodity,

23. Green Bay Packers- Sergio Kindle, OLB/DE, Texas
    Kampman wasn't suited to a 3-4. The explosive Kindle certainly is.

24. Philadelphia Eagles- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise St.
    The Eagles could look at Mays here, but Wilson is better value and also fills a position of need. Ideally they'd have had Brandon Graham in Aqua and White next season.

25. Baltimore Ravens- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
    After missing out on Odrick as a replacement fro Trevor Pryce, the Ravens grab Gresham to replace Todd Heap.

26. Arizona Cardinals- Maurkice Pouncey, OG/C, Florida
    I believe Pouncey will be selected higher, but the Cardinals will be happy to have this Gators stalwart at pick 26.

27. Dallas Cowboys- Taylor Mays, S, USC
    With Pouncey off the board, the Cowboys address their secondary (pun completely intended) area of need.

28. San Diego Chargers- Terrene Cody, DT, Alabama
    I strongly considered Matthews here again, but in the end, I couldn't see Cody getting by Indianapolis, Kansas, Cleveland and Oakland to fall to San Diego in the second. I think it's much more likely that one of Matthews or Jhavid Best will.

29. New York Jets- Linval Joseph, DE, East Carolina
    The Jets grab this fast riser as a future 5 Technique starter at DE.

30. Minnesota Vikings- Colt McCoy, QB, Texas
    I'm so impressed by McCoy I'd love to see him drafted above Clausen. I think this is the ideal situation for him and for the Vikings, who don't have a great deal of needs to address and could stand to let him sit for the year behind Favre.

31. Indianapolis Colts- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
    Price has been slipping lately, but I don't see him slipping past Indianapolis, who need all the help they can get at DE.

32. New Orleans Saints- Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
    A fearsome pass rusher with top 10 potential for the superbowl champs. They've turned Anthony Hargrove into a successful pro. Watch them do the same to Dunlap.

ROUND TWO

33. St. Louis Rams- Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno St
    34. Detroit Lions- Devin McCourtney, CB, Rutgers
    35. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech.
    36. Kansas City Chiefs- Nate Allen, S, USF
    37. Philadelphia Eagles (f/WAS)- Everson Griffen, DE, USC
    38. Cleveland Browns- Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    39. Oakland Raiders- Vladimir Ducasse, OG, Massachusetts
    40. San Diego Chargers (f/SEA)- Jhavid Best, RB, California
    41. Buffalo Bills- Charles Brown, OT, USC
    42. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas St
    43. Denver Broncos (f/MIA)- Arrellious Benn, WR, Illinois
    44. New England Patriots (f/JAX)- Jerry Hughes, OLB, Texas Christian University
    45. Denver Broncos- Roger Saffold, OL, Indiana
    46. New York Giants- LaMarr Houston, DT, Texas
    47. New England Patriots- Damian Williams, WR, USC
    48. Carolina Panthers- Brandon LaFell, WR, Louisiana St.
    49. San Francisco *****- Dexter McCluster, RB/WR/KR, Ole Miss
    50. Kansas City Chiefs (f/ATL)- Sean Lee, ILB, Penn St.
    51. Houston Texans- Tony Gerhardt, RB, Stanford
    52. Pittsburgh Steelers- Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State.
    53. New England Patriots- Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    54. Cincinnati Bengals- Ricky Sapp, OLB, Clemson
    55. Philadelphia Eagles- Darryl Washington, OLB, TCU
    56. Green Bay Packers- Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale
    57. Baltimore Ravens- Corey Wootton, DE, Northwestern
    58. Arizona Cardinals- Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami
    59. Dallas Cowboys- Mardy Gillyard, WR, Cincinnatti
    60. Seattle Seahawks- Chris Cook, DB, Virginia
    61. New York Jets- Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
    62. Minnesota Vikings- Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
    63. Indianapolis Colts- Chad Jones, S, LSU
    64. New Orleans Saints- Koa Misi, LB, Utah

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: Bar-bq's 15/4/10 Two Round Mock Draft

Solid job. we will know for sure in a week, but yours is well thought out and makes sense.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I really like this mock. I think you've made great picks all around. A couple of things I'd comment on...

-Nice job sneaking Linval Joseph into the first round. With the Jets having addressed needs at receiver or corner, I wouldn't be surprised to see Joseph or Tyson Alualu picked there.

-I think McCoy is an option for the Vikings, but I have a hard time believing they don't take someone that helps them win right now.

-I understand the Rams need a back-up RB and that Mathews is great value there. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the pick. But a part of me would feel a bit strange using such a high pick on a guy who isn't going to be the main starter at his position. How do you feel?

-There's talk that if the Jahvid Best falls to the Lions in round two, they'll snatch him up. But I think corner is an equally weak area and McCourty makes a lot of sense too.

-Do you think Oakland goes OL two rounds in a row? Surely there's someone else they can reach for to cancel out a smart pick in the first round!

-Nice draft for Buffalo, getting Clausen and then Brown in the second. That's probably an ideal scenario for them.

-If Hughes is there for the Patriots @ 44, I will hate them even more. That's a great fit and great value, IMO.

-Interesting selection for Houston in the second round. Gerhardt would probably make for a nice compliment with Steve Slaton.

-Love the draft for the Ravens. Top tight end and a good DL who can fit in their 3-4 DL.

Overall, I think it looks pretty good and I like the direction of a lot of those picks. Great job!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Love Matthews for the second pick. I have him going in the first round, but if he falls to #33, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I really like this mock. I think you've made great picks all around. A couple of things I'd comment on...

-Nice job sneaking Linval Joseph into the first round. With the Jets having addressed needs at receiver or corner, I wouldn't be surprised to see Joseph or Tyson Alualu picked there.
    Thanks, I thought a lot about that one. I know Joseph is on the rise and I think he's this year's small school prospect who makes it big. He'll be a good player for them too. I think they might try to make a move up for Odrick.

-I think McCoy is an option for the Vikings, but I have a hard time believing they don't take someone that helps them win right now.
    I had a hard time with this one too. Eventually the Franchise QB Rule won me over. I had a difficult time finding a guy who would be an instant contributor outside of someone like McCourtney. I think he'd be a good pick there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    -I understand the Rams need a back-up RB and that Mathews is great value there. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the pick. But a part of me would feel a bit strange using such a high pick on a guy who isn't going to be the main starter at his position. How do you feel?
    I feel exactly the same way. In the end if it's Best instead of Matthews at that pick I'd have more difficulty making it. As good as Best is. To be honest I thought a lot about a number of guys: Tate, Thomas, Brown, Griffen and Hughes were the others at the top of my wishlist. What would you do?

-There's talk that if the Jahvid Best falls to the Lions in round two, they'll snatch him up. But I think corner is an equally weak area and McCourty makes a lot of sense too.
    I literally tossed a coin. That's how close I think this call is going to be for Detroit.

-Do you think Oakland goes OL two rounds in a row? Surely there's someone else they can reach for to cancel out a smart pick in the first round!
    With the 38th Selection in the 2010 NFL Draft, The Oakland Raiders select Stan Kroenke, 40% Shareholder in the St. Louis Rams.

-Nice draft for Buffalo, getting Clausen and then Brown in the second. That's probably an ideal scenario for them.
    I thought that Buffalo, New England and Oakland had the best drafts in this projection. I don't think you can go wrong with a Franchise QB and a LT to make sure he stays on the field.

-If Hughes is there for the Patriots @ 44, I will hate them even more. That's a great fit and great value, IMO.
    What's worse, they get Odrick (I think he's the best 5 Technique player in this draft) AND Hughes. That's a lot of talent to add to your defense.

-Interesting selection for Houston in the second round. Gerhardt would probably make for a nice compliment with Steve Slaton.
    I see him as a goal line/short yardage runner. Kind of like a Brandon Jacobs when he was running behind Tiki Barber.

-Love the draft for the Ravens. Top tight end and a good DL who can fit in their 3-4 DL.
    Believe it or not, Gresham was my third choice for Baltimore. I had Odrick and Wilson 1 &2, but it really worked out for them with Wootton in round 2. I guess that goes to show the quality of the players available at this point as they correlate to the Ravens positions of need. I think they'll be happy to sit and wait for whoever falls to them.