Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Bar-bq's 1st 2008 Mock Draft.

I waited until after declarations to get this underway.

Explanations in full for each team at no extra charge.

1. Miami Dolphins-

Alright; just bite the bullet. I’ve been stewing and stewing and procrastinating over this pick long enough. We all know Parcells likes his linebackers BIG. Look at Bobby Carpenter and DeMarcus Ware from his tenure in Dallas. Here, the nod goes to Vernon Gholston for being an athletic freak; Better as an outside linebacker prospect in a 3-4 than draft classmate Chris Long. McFadden was an option, but Julius Jones and Marion Barber were found in later rounds, and Ronnie Brown was a stud this year. Therefore….

Miami Dolphins Select…Vernon Gholston, OLB/DE, OSU.

2. St. Louis Rams.

For me, easy pick. As a Ram fan, this will be the point I’ll hammer home until draft day about the OL. You don’t know what you’ve got. You just can’t tell with 4 of 5 starters being inured at various points throughout the season. Which is why it makes no sense to draft an offensive lineman in round one. Why pay a guy millions upon millions when he might not even see the field for two years, when you can pay a Chris Williams less money for doing arguably the same job? Pace is coming back from injury, and it would be wise for the Rams to look for a free agent inside (Jacob Bell, Stacy Andrews, maybe). Therefore, what you have with Jake Long, in the context of the Rams OL, is another unknown commodity. If you’re going to pay millions to a player, you might as well pay the man who is going to see the field. With Leonard Little old, injured, and no guarantee to return, James Hall being stunningly mediocre, and nobody else worthy of a starting job, the obvious selection is….

St. Louis Rams Select…Chris Long, DE, Virginia.

3. Atlanta Falcons

Toughie, here. A franchise signal caller could make all the difference in the world. But Darren McFadden is clearly BPA. I have to think that Ryan is the type of player that can come in, and can make Norwood that much better. Because when you’re actually a threat to pass the ball, there’s more than one aspect of your game opposing defenses have to pay attention to. Chris Freakin’ Redman should be all the reasoning required.

Atlanta Falcons Select…Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.

4. Oakland Raiders.

Just how far does McFadden fall? I think it’s DBPA here Vs. OBPA. IMO, the winner here is Glen Dorsey. The defense was 31st against the run with Warren Sapp. Without replacing him, there’s probably only one place that I think they could go. I’m working under the assumption that 1000 yard tailback Justin Fargas will return.

Oakland Raiders Select Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU.

5. Kansas City Chiefs.

Virtual no-brainer.

Kansas City Chiefs Select Jake Long, OT, Michigan.

6. New York Jets

A dream come true. Thomas Jones cost them a second-rounder last year, but BPA in this draft and probably the next one, too, is McFadden, a rare and gifted athlete who adds a whole new dimension to the Jets offense. Quarterback could also be considered, but, really, who’s available? Brohm will not be a Jet in 08, unless he slips rather dramatically.

New York Jets Select Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

7. New England Patriots

Possibly the only team who can afford to reach here, and the one position that they could use some help with is corner. They would have been devastated to see Jenkins and Laurinitis return to school. The only other choice here is BPA- a guy like Ellis or Clady.

New England Patriots Select Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida.

8. Baltimore Ravens

Pending Terrell Suggs’ FA heave-ho, this is potentially the pick I’m least confident in. But Suggs will shimmy on out of Baltimore for the big bucks elsewhere, leaving this pick wide open. I considered Keith Rivers, but he’s probably too small for a 3-4, I considered Brian Brohm, but it’s too big of a reach here, I thought about BPA and Clady or Ellis again, and the only prospect I’m left with is…

Baltimore Ravens Select Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida.

9. Cincinnati Bengals

Things just fall into place for Cincy; they grab a top flight DT to fill a hole where they really need it. Go Trojans!

Cincinnati Bengals Select Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC.

10. New Orleans Saints.

There’s two ways they could go here, and I can probably see either as an alright fit. Best Player Available wins out though. Keith Rivers is again pipped at the post.

New Orleans Saints Select Kenny Phillips, S, Miami.

11. Buffalo Bills

Well, well. I can’t tell you how much trouble this is causing me. You could go Keith Rivers, you could reach for the DL, you could go BPA and take Clady by the jugular, or you could go WR. Now, DeSean Jackson is my no.1 Wideout prospect, and Josh Reed just doesn’t excite me…but…

Buffalo Bills Select Keith Rivers, LB, USC

12. Denver Broncos

What they really need is help up front. I really can’t see that being available here. Phillips would have been nice, but really, all I can see here is BPA.

Denver Broncos Select Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

13. Carolina Panthers

This here is selection by elimination. They really could use a replacement QB to groom behind Delhomme if they aren’t sold on Matt Moore, who looked good late in the season. They have so much money tied up in the quarterback position that overpaying another one, especially a guy like Brohm, who still has a lot of question marks, could be a mistake that kills the rest of the team. Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton are free agents, and my guess is that one of them will be eliminated. See what I mean now? Elimination?

Carolina Panthers Select Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh.

14. Chicago Bears

What do you do if you’re a sinking team that starts a QB platoon of Rex Grossman and Brian Brohm? You board the Brian Brohm lifeboat and hold on for dear life.

Chicago Bears Select Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.

15. Detroit Lions

The consensus pick seems to be Otah, who is gone. Maybe the 54 sacks had something to do with Mike Martz’ 3-step-drop-BANG approach to getting your quarterback killed. The next best thing, IMO, is any defensive player.

Detroit Lions select Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (FL)

16. Arizona Cardinals

What’s better than one Edgerrin James? Two Edgerrin James’!

Arizona Cardinals select Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon.

17. Minnesota Vikings

I believe that the reality of the situation for the Vikings is that if you’re dead last in passing defense, you didn’t get to the QB nearly enough, despite spending first round picks on Erasmus James and Kenichi Udeze. This pick is a bit of a reach, but the guy has an unbelievable motor and played great against Auburn.

Minnesota Vikings Select Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson.

18. Houston Texans

The running game is non-existent, but neither, really, is the offensive line. Schaub got hurt last year, and they could find a great runner in round two. That’s why the pick here is not Mendenhall, as I thought it would be. It’s Oher, to start opposite Eric Winston, who was great last season.

Houston Texans Select Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi.

19. Philadelphia Eagles

There are probably no DE’s to go with, here, as much as I’d like to slip one in. They need depth in the secondary, and a wide receiver. This gives the new QB a new toy.

Philadelphia Eagles Select DeSean Jackson, WR, California.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

You never know how long Jeff Garcia will last. Wide Receiver is probably the next option, and Sam Baker could be a go-er, but the time is now to get your future QB. You can find good depth at WR and OL in rounds 2 and three. Maybe a team takes a liking to Ernest Graham.

Tampa Bay Selects Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky.

21. Washington Redskins

Defensive End is the trendy pick, but I seem to have exhausted my options, there. Wideout is an option, but a true presence along the DL is also needed.

Washington Redskins Select Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina

22. Dallas Cowboys (Via Cleveland)

In some form or another, the Cowboys will probably lose one back from their platoon this off-season, with Barber being a RFA, and Jones a UFA. Look for them to compensate with this pick. Jones has the breakaway speed and playmaking ability the Boys would love to add to their offense; just look at his 8.0 YPC average this season. That’s the primary reason he gets the nod over Mendenhall.

Dallas Cowboys Select Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas.

23. Seattle Seahawks

Like, Duh.

Seattle Seahawks Select Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger took a beating this season, with the line giving up 53 sacks, six of them coming against Jacksonville in the playoffs. This should help to change that, and should also fill an immediate need with Starks and Faneca potentially departing as free agents.

Pittsburgh Steelers Select Sam Baker, OT, USC.

25. Tennessee Titans

Despite an injury marred season, this player could find himself going in the late first, and fills an immediate need for the Titans. Would make a nice pair with Williams on the outside. He has a history with Vince Young, making him the choice over Malcolm Kelly. Stock will probably be altered by 40 time, as it always is.

Tennessee Titans Select Limas Sweed, WR, Texas.

26. New York Giants

Anyone who watched injury decimate the Giants secondary Sunday against the Cowboys will hardly be surprised by this pick. I think Sam Madison’s age will eventually catch up to him, and Corey Webster probably doesn’t see much more time as a starter.

New York Giants Select Leodis McKlevin, CB, Troy.

27. San Diego Chargers

The OL has been consistent throughout the playoffs, and San Diego really has very few needs. Godser Cherilus seems to be the right fit on the right side, especially considering that Shane Olivea lost his job there earlier this season. Other option here was BPA; Dan Conner.

San Diego Chargers Select Godser Cherilus, OT, BC

28. Jacksonville Jaguars

I wanted to go defense with this pick, specifically at end, but I can’t see anyone other than Moses or Jackson here, both of whom would be slight reaches. Chris Ellis is a guy I could see sliding up some draft boards with a good combine. I guess the guy here is Malcolm Kelly, to give Garrard a new target. Reggie Williams has a knack for the end-zone, but Matt Jones has done little to show he’s the star everyone thought he could be.

Jacksonville Jaguars Select Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma.

29. Dallas Cowboys

Back to back Sooners, here, as the Cowboys find a great player late in the first. This pick may have even made sense at 22, especially with the giants looking Corner, and not too may guys chasing top backs this late.

Dallas Cowboys Select Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma.

30. San Francisco ***** (Via Indianapolis)

The Niners are disappointed to see Jackson, Kelly and Sweed all taken, but find a nice consolation prize in James Hardy. Big threat for the red-zone, should fit well into a Martz’ style offense, and give Alex Smith his another chance to prove his worth.

San Francisco Selects James Hardy, WR, Indianna

31. Green Bay Packers

The last pick of round one, and it’s a fairly obvious one for me. The Packers have needs in the secondary, and there are a few guys to have fallen through the cracks. For me, the competition is between Godfrey, Cason, Talib, and Ikegwuonwu. Cason wins out as the most proven corner, and the Thorpe award winner of 2007.

Green Bay Packers Select Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona.

32. Forfeited.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Bar-bq's 1st 2008 Mock Draft.

I like this. Good job buddy.

I also like how youre sticking to the draft pick we shoud take. It's easily Chris Long.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ive been seeing gholston going first alot recently and i just cant convince myself it will happen especially after a championship game were he was nothing special. but if he has great combine u never know what will happen.

ENN107 is offline Registered User

There is a 0% chance that formula 50 will go first overall

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

Nice mock, BBQ.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I am as much of a fan of Chris Long as the next guy, but there is NO WAY with Dorsey sitting right there than we pass on a talent like that. He is one of the best talents at DT to come along in such a long time. You talk about work ethic with Long? All of Dorsey's bad childhood memories and experiences he uses as motivation to do better and be the best at what he does. He is relentless with his film study and workout regimen. Oh, and maybe the fact he is an absolute BEAST on the football field.

I would rather move Carriker back to end and have Dorsey on the inside than take Long. We just can't pass on Dorsey if he is there and I will honestly contemplate suicide.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-17-2008 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I would rather move Carriker back to end and have Dorsey on the inside than take Long. We just can't pass on Dorsey if he is there and I will honestly contemplate suicide.
    I'm not even going to touch that last part.

IMO, the best way for the Rams to go is Chris Long, rather than offset the progress Carriker and Ryan have made as tackles. At 310 lbs, I can't see Carriker move back to end after season-ending surgery that keeps him out until training camp.

PossumBoy9 is offline Registered User

I guess with Oher going back to school, Mendenhall could go to Houston in your mock now.

STLunatic is offline Registered User

I'd be surprised to see Vernon go #1 overall, but who knows what Tuna's got up his sleeve. He's a heck of a player. You don't have Dan Connor on this board either, I think he will definetly be taken before Keith Rivers.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    IMO, the best way for the Rams to go is Chris Long, rather than offset the progress Carriker and Ryan have made as tackles. At 310 lbs, I can't see Carriker move back to end after season-ending surgery that keeps him out until training camp.
    Ryan was a DT coming out of college so he doesn't really help your argument. Carriker was not accustomed to the DT position and if he were to slide back out to end how would that be a bad thing? Our DE's our older now and Hall is apparently mediocre, so we would get younger and better by sliding the 23 year-old Carriker to DE. Also, we tried to force a position change to Mike Furrey because he wasn't seeing the field as a WR and Martz tried to turn him into a S. Once he bolted to Detroit, he was a WR again and led the NFC in receptions and had a amazing season. So maybe some players are better off playing their natural position?

I will give you merit to your final point. It will be hard for Carriker to drop his weight down again while aggressively rehabbing and getting ready for the season. I just feel that you go BDPA and take Dorsey at that spot and then you can address DE later on in the draft if we don't do that in Free Agency coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    I guess with Oher going back to school, Mendenhall could go to Houston in your mock now.
    Oh, shoot.

Mendenhall would be the next pick in mind, or Sam Baker.

But then that leaves Seattle in a bit of a hole, with all the top talent at RB gone and that being one of their primary needs.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Miami Dolphins Select…Vernon Gholston, OLB/DE, OSU.
    I know Nick agrees with you on this one, but man oh man, that just looks like such a reach at this point. If the real VG is the one that played Michigan and Wisconsin this year, then by all means, snatch this guy up. However, I just can't help but look at the rest of the season when I think about him being a #1 pick.

Hey, I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be awfully surprised is that's how it comes down. IMO, Parcells finds a trade partner. It may be with 30 seconds left on the clock, but eventually someone is going to step up on this one, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I know Nick agrees with you on this one, but man oh man, that just looks like such a reach at this point. If the real VG is the one that played Michigan and Wisconsin this year, then by all means, snatch this guy up. However, I just can't help but look at the rest of the season when I think about him being a #1 pick.

Hey, I'm not saying it won't happen, but I'd be awfully surprised is that's how it comes down. IMO, Parcells finds a trade partner. It may be with 30 seconds left on the clock, but eventually someone is going to step up on this one, IMO.
    Yeah, I agree to a point, it is a reach, and Parcells will deal. But really, if he's going to make his system work, I think a physical freak like VG at linebacker is potentially his best bet. I can't see Dorsey, and I don't know whether he'd want Long at OLB or DE.

I'm gone for a week, so cheers for your input, y'all....(and go get us a good offensive co-ordinator!)

BBQ.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Am I the only one who doesn't see Atlanta taking a QB with the third pick? For some reason I see them taking a Darren McFadden or someone else with much more talent, than someone who maybe could possibly somehow become a franchise QB. They still have Leftwich and Harrington. Granted, they're no pro bowlers themselves, but I imagine that the time frame to improve the team is quite slim, so the team would be focused on someone who could help them win right away.